Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since even DG's brother-in-law hadn't seen him for 4 years, it's likely that DG has never met Nathan, and so Nathan didn't know him personally. That would make his murdering Nathan more sinister--just for the worry about the slim chance that the boy could provide info about his grandparents' killers.
Evidently Allen saw him at thanksgiving last year. I think some reporter got his / her wires crossed it was AL the victim,
who apparently hadn't seen him in four years.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1438148/missing-family-search-of-rural-home-enters-fourth-day/

Hi all,

This is my first post here... I read about this community in the Calgary Herald and I decided to join. I want to say I am so impressed by the level of intellect and respect shown by everyone who post's here... I am thankful for all the amazing and concise information available on these threads.

I lives about 1/2 hr from the DG farm so when I first heard about the search I viewed the area in the "Map" application of my iPhone. Once I located what I thought to be the property (turns out I was 100% correct) and noticed well defined tire tracks leading from the DG farm, through the front field and directly into the property immediately South of the DG farm. IMO these well defined marks indicate that, at the time the satellite footage was taken for the iPhone map application(likely no more than 2-3yrs old), someone was regularly driving from the area with the shops, through the front field and into the "junkyard like" area of the property neighbouring to the south.

I called this tip directly to the Calgary Police about 5-6 days ago as I was concerned they would leave the farm but not check neighbouring areas.... Then they said they would be there indefinitely so that felt better.

This could be nothing... Just a funny satellite image on a weird plough day, for example..Or DG is regularly driving thru the neighbouring property to avoid being seen coming and going from his own property(it appears trees could obstruct the view of the "pathway" to either properties actual house..... Also the area in the South neighbours property that the tracks stop at appears to be a junkyard of cars.

What if DG was regularly entering onto/disposing of weird criminal items ect on neighbouring property (unbeknownst to the neighbours themselves or his own family) for a number of years?!?

Also the media articles it states that he was nearby when he was rear rested late Sunday night so maybe he tried to enter the neighbours property to retrieve evidence.

There were other tracks throughout both front and back fields on the DG property that appeared to be less defined and formed many random loops in the fields. I have no experience with a rural farming operating so I may be making mountains out if molehills... Possibally someone on here would have a very reasonable explanation for all of these

1. Photo if tracks:
View attachment 54981

2. Photo if property: (You can see DG property in the centre)
View attachment 54982

3. Photo of funny loops in back field:
View attachment 54983

I hope I haven't offended anyone or broken any rules... You guys rock on here :) :).

I thought this was a really interesting post. I don't know rural life and I am not particularly spatial, but I would like to hear thoughts about this post.

I'd like to know what you guys think about my conjecture in post #838 (click link), in which I imagine DG went to L's house to pick up a piece of furniture, and asked AL to help carry it with him to his pickup truck.

Please read the complete post for details.

Seems to me consistent with everything we know so far (reason for pickup truck, Amber Alert's mentioning Nathan in company with his grandfather, and as another poster said, truck being in front of the house instead of the back, etc.).

The only thing that I can think of that makes this impossible is if DG and AL had not been on speaking terms at all these past years.

Anyone finds any inconsistency in my conjecture with what we know so far? (Definite inconsistency, rather than likelihood or unlikelihood)

I thought this was a really interesting post. I don't know rural life and I am not particularly spatial, but I would like to hear thoughts about this post.

I spent some time looking at the tracks and aerials in different map systems. It's a working crop farm, so there will be tracks across the field from seeding and baling. I couldn't see any consistent trails. In any case, police will have searched neighbouring properties.

I'd like to know what you guys think about my conjecture in post #838 (click link), in which I imagine DG went to L's house to pick up a piece of furniture, and asked AL to help carry it with him to his pickup truck.

Please read the complete post for details.

Seems to me consistent with everything we know so far (reason for pickup truck, Amber Alert's mentioning Nathan in company with his grandfather, and as another poster said, truck being in front of the house instead of the back, etc.).

The only thing that I can think of that makes this impossible is if DG and AL had not been on speaking terms at all these past years.

Anyone finds any inconsistency in my conjecture with what we know so far? (Definite inconsistency, rather than likelihood or unlikelihood)

Highly unlikely. It would be an inordinate amount of risk to set up a meeting date and time. The victims could casually tell anyone you are coming over, making you suspect #1 when they disappear. It is also a massive risk that no one, neighbours or people inside the house, will see or hear the initial attack outside the house and call 911.

The officers involved in the search deserve medals.

From http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/1...obrien-alvin-and-kathryn-liknes-were-murdered
:

'The chief says he’s watched officers going non-stop on the case since Nathan and his grandparents were reported missing June 30, giving up weekends and working extra hours for a chance to save the family — and now, to find the three and offer closure.

“Since this file opened and the first call came in, they have not stopped working,” says Hanson.

“They come in every day, working overtime, and working to the point of exhaustion, and then run home for a quick sleep and then back in again — it’s because they don’t want to miss any clue, or tip, or lead.”

He talks about one officer searching the dump in 30 degree heat, having to pause to vomit from the stench. “He put his mask back on and went right back in,” says the chief.'

I spent some time looking at the tracks and aerials in different map systems. It's a working crop farm, so there will be tracks across the field from seeding and baling. I couldn't see any consistent trails. In any case, police will have searched neighbouring properties.

So nothing really interesting, just an artifact of aerial photography and a working crop farm.

The victims in the car accident lived in a place called Stirling and then Cardston, which is close to the US border. Why would Garland have been there on a weekday when he should be studying in Edmonton. I don't think that he was involved in the accident.

I don't know the date of the accident.. would it be possible it was during a break period or he had a semester off? He would have been 20 years old.

So nothing really interesting, just an artifact of aerial photography and a working crop farm.

Balloons are not biodegradable. They block the digestive tract of animals, including pets, horses, cows, and wildlife. I can't tell you how many surgeries we've done to remove ingested balloons from very sick pets. Wild animals will die.
Releasing balloons is illegal in many places.

http://balloonsblow.org/photo-gallery

I had honestly never thought about it that way before. Thank you for pointing that out.

Highly unlikely. It would be an inordinate amount of risk to set up a meeting date and time. The victims could casually tell anyone you are coming over, making you suspect #1 when they disappear. It is also a massive risk that no one, neighbours or people inside the house, will see or hear the initial attack outside the house and call 911.

I don't think NO ever left the home. Or, at least there is no evidence of that or there likely would have been a kidnapping charge or a murder 1 charge with regard to him.

Sorry if already posted..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ian-search-called-off-over-backlash-1.2708571
"A civilian search effort in Airdrie to help find clues in the suspected killings of Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes, has been called off because of what organizers are saying is negative online backlash.

Searchers had been preparing to head out for their second effort since beginning yesterday but now say those plans will not be going ahead.

The Facebook page for the civilian search has now been taken down and organizers say the whole effort just got too big, too fast.

Organizers said they were being targeted online by people questioning their motives for searching and alleging that they were interfering with the police investigation."

This is really sad to read. While networking online can be pretty awesome in cases like this (WS is the perfect example) it can also, sadly, bring out the worst in people. Technology most certainly comes with a double edge.

About the balloons that many of you were talking about, my concern is that since the search for the bodies/remains is underway, and no one knows where they could turn up, the less unnecessary "debris" on the surface, the better.

Please, any inconsistency with we know so far (did you read my posts carefully?), rather than likely or unlikely (notwithstanding the fact I totally disagree with what you call unlikely)?

It's consistent, but so is 4 perps being there to help move that furniture. It's highly unlikely there were 4 perps. It is highly unlikely anyone would agree to a pickup of furniture after 10pm as well.

If you tell the victims you are coming over, you have no control over who they tell that to. There is a post outlining a criminal history that includes possession of a break in instrument, and possession of stolen property. If there is a history of break in, that would be more consistent, and more plausible that what you outlined.

It's consistent, but so is 4 perps being there to help move that furniture. It's highly unlikely there were 4 perps. It is highly unlikely anyone would agree to a pickup of furniture after 10pm as well.

If you tell the victims you are coming over, you have no control over who they tell that to. There is a post outlining a criminal history that includes possession of a break in instrument, and possession of stolen property. If there is a history of break in, that would be more consistent, and more plausible that what you outlined.

Sorry, according to what we were told, there is only one suspect, so your 4 perps example is inconsistent with what we were told so far. There is nothing wrong with casually telling people DG was coming: no one would suspect DG was coming for a murder.

This is really sad to read. While networking online can be pretty awesome in cases like this (WS is the perfect example) it can also, sadly, bring out the worst in people. Technology most certainly comes with a double edge.

I think part of the issue is that the police were basically saying thanks but please leave it to the professionals yet they were planning to continue with the search. Anyone who posted concern in that regard was attacked. They just weren't listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties