Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't be that unusual for a 5 year old to crawl into bed with his grandparents, being a little bit afraid of the dark, and not being in his own house. I am thinking they were all together.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that :) (I am not a parent.)

I'm going to to bet that the other photos of DG's truck that night are more revealing than the one we were shown.

It wouldn't be that unusual for a 5 year old to crawl into bed with his grandparents, being a little bit afraid of the dark, and not being in his own house. I am thinking they were all together.

quoting myself, here...There is no way to put a positive spin on any of this, but the thought of them being together, gave me a little comfort.

I am SO curious about the parents. Not a peep out of them. They had to have been the ones to give authorization to LE to search their land? How long have they been 'camping', and when are they to return? Are they supportive of their son? Do they have potential evidence (witnesses to any weird activities)? Have they been questioned? I just want to know they're alive! So many unanswered questions?

I had posted earlier that DG's parents are quite elderly and most likely in shock just like everyone else. I'm not sure why people are surprised that they are not speaking. I'm not sure what they would say quite frankly. I'm thinking it's better for them to keep a low profile so as not to be in the limelight. If they did say something I'm sure people would jump down their throats.

As for giving permission, I'm not so sure about that. I think warrants would have been issued or they could have been asked.

It was reported that they are alive and well. They were away while all of this was happening.

It would be my opinion that LE have interviewed them at great length.

Yes, the home will forever be branded and likely devalued for decades, no matter what upgrades are done. Maybe it will be torn down, as the Bernardo home was, and the Dicastro house. But then again, sadly, I have heard that there are people who want to buy these notorious properties for some sad, sick reason.

Most likely the intent when the current owner purchased would be to tear down and build new, which is quite common in the inner-city Calgary.

Most likely the intent when the current owner purchased would be to tear down and build new, which is quite common in the inner-city Calgary.

I'm sure that is absolutely the plan of the buyer because the current home sits on a wide lot backing onto a park and a half block from the Elbow river pathway. This is an extremely valuable property and at $705,00 it is a steal.

Even better for the buyer is that the sellers were willing to lease the home for 8 months or whatever which means revenue for the buyer while he goes through the initial planning, design and permitting phases.

Since even DG's brother-in-law hadn't seen him for 4 years, it's likely that DG has never met Nathan, and so Nathan didn't know him personally. That would make his murdering Nathan more sinister--just for the worry about the slim chance that the boy could provide info about his parents' killers.

Yes, I agree. I read this also and found it interesting that he probably didn't really know poor little Nathan, so Nathan might not have even recognized or knew who DG even was…. Mentioned in this article about Allen Liknes and his brother in-law: "a man he describes to me as a loner whom he hasn’t seen in more than four years."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...id+horrific+circumstances/10035210/story.html

There is also the accident where Garland fell asleep at the wheel...Read it somewhere I think CBC has an updated Garland timeline...

My impression after reading the following articles is that DG was the driver of the vehicle that caused a deadly car accident in 1980. He claimed to have been severely traumatized from this. The dates coincide with the deaths of Matthew and Jill Hartley. There is no other information supplied or available to confirm that DG was involved in a fatal car accident or if it was the same one involving MH, JH, that is available online. The Judge in The Tax Court of Canada Final Judgement does refer to the trauma DG suffered in relation to a tragic car accident but not that it was also the same accident that involved MH and JH. If this is in fact true that DG was responsible for the deaths of MH and JH and the courts did not connect the dots back when he was arrested for using the identity of MH they may have looked further into his mental health and also the accident itself to ensure it was in fact an accident and to further determine his behaviours of benefitting from a death that he was ultimately responsible for...
which is quite twisted and to me reflects his psychotic mind.

Here are the links in relation to this suggestion of "falling asleep at the wheel"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

According to what Judge Campbell Miller heard, Garland suffered a breakdown while at the University of Alberta, and “also seems to have been traumatized by causing what he described as a horrific accident due to falling asleep at the wheel.”

Yet some who knew Garland in those days say they never heard of him being involved in such an accident.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...d+person+interest+Calgary/10012209/story.html

Forgot a link.. Tax Court of Canada
http://decision.tcc-cci.gc.ca/tcc-cci/decisions/en/item/26083/index.do?r=AAAAAQAHZ2FybGFuZAAAAAAB

I had posted earlier that DG's parents are quite elderly and most likely in shock just like everyone else. I'm not sure why people are surprised that they are not speaking. I'm not sure what they would say quite frankly. I'm thinking it's better for them to keep a low profile so as not to be in the limelight. If they did say something I'm sure people would jump down their throats.

As for giving permission, I'm not so sure about that. I think warrants would have been issued or they could have been asked.

It was reported that they are alive and well. They were away while all of this was happening.

It would be my opinion that LE have interviewed them at great length.

The parents of DG are well known, respected and involved in the community of Airdrie. They would have to be staying somewhere else for the time being as the home and property are under investigation.

The parents of DG are well known, respected and involved in the community of Airdrie. They would have to be staying somewhere else for the time being as the home and property are under investigation.

Follow

Bill Macfarlane
‏@CTVBMacfarlane
.@TheRevDave @kevinyounge No it's not - but I'm told they are safe and being supported by friends. Well loved people by all accounts.

5:34 AM - 16 Jul 2014

https://twitter.com/CTVBMacfarlane/status/489387660687839232

This is an extremely valuable property and at $705,00 it is a steal.

Really, a $705,000 lot? I must be a little out of touch with market values out west.

It certainly is expensive but for that location it is prime real estate in a booming economy with buyers full of money. The buyer in this transaction is a lawyer. (also heard it was a private sale. Not sure who the lawyer is or if any connection to the family or possibly outstanding debts??)

Really, a $705,000 lot? I must be a little out of touch with market values out west.

Real estate in Calgary has been insane for a few years now. Inner city properties, lots, are an extremely popular commodity. Tear downs, for lot value, typically sell as in private sales because developers are constantly knocking down people's doors and throwing money at that.

The likely scenario here is a $705,000 investment in land, split the lot into two parcels and build two infills at about $700,000. Each infill will sell for between $900,000 and $1.1M (depending on the finishings.)

I'm going to to bet that the other photos of DG's truck that night are more revealing than the one we were shown.
Exactly! I don't think that picture we were shown of his truck was even taken that night.

I think Garland was casing that house far in advance, the .

JMO

I don't know if I can clearly articulate this, but TheRevDave kind of leaves a bad...taste in my mouth reading some of his tweets. I completely understand him supporting the Garlands, God only knows what those people are going through. I even agree with him saying that Garland is innocent until proved guilty...but the way he communicates with people is very confrontational and less in line with other pastors I have seen on social media. I mean one person only stated she thought he should fess up and say where the bodies were(thus the response about innocence). I haven't seen him state anything about the missing and that he hopes they are found (if I missed it, let's chalk it up to information overload).

Oh ignore me...I am probably just being supersensitive. I just needed to vent.

Follow

Bill Macfarlane
‏@CTVBMacfarlane
.@TheRevDave @kevinyounge No it's not - but I'm told they are safe and being supported by friends. Well loved people by all accounts.

5:34 AM - 16 Jul 2014

https://twitter.com/CTVBMacfarlane/status/489387660687839232

My impression after reading the following articles is that DG was the driver of the vehicle that caused a deadly car accident in 1980. He claimed to have been severely traumatized from this. The dates coincide with the deaths of Matthew and Jill Hartley. There is no other information supplied or available to confirm that DG was involved in a fatal car accident or if it was the same one involving MH, JH, that is available online. The Judge in The Tax Court of Canada Final Judgement does refer to the trauma DG suffered in relation to a tragic car accident but not that it was also the same accident that involved MH and JH. If this is in fact true that DG was responsible for the deaths of MH and JH and the courts did not connect the dots back when he was arrested for using the identity of MH they may have looked further into his mental health and also the accident itself to ensure it was in fact an accident and to further determine his behaviours of benefitting from a death that he was ultimately responsible for...
which is quite twisted and to me reflects his psychotic mind.

Here are the links in relation to this suggestion of "falling asleep at the wheel"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

According to what Judge Campbell Miller heard, Garland suffered a breakdown while at the University of Alberta, and “also seems to have been traumatized by causing what he described as a horrific accident due to falling asleep at the wheel.”

Yet some who knew Garland in those days say they never heard of him being involved in such an accident.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...d+person+interest+Calgary/10012209/story.html

Forgot a link.. Tax Court of Canada
http://decision.tcc-cci.gc.ca/tcc-cci/decisions/en/item/26083/index.do?r=AAAAAQAHZ2FybGFuZAAAAAAB

The victims in the car accident lived in a place called Stirling and then Cardston, which is close to the US border. Why would Garland have been there on a weekday when he should be studying in Edmonton. I don't think that he was involved in the accident.

The sale must proceed, and the home is in fact already sold, but now, the house would be devalued from the price that was paid. I guess it is the risk that an owner takes when renting out a home though, could have happened to anyone.
Right. The home was sold some time ago, and they were leasing it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alblake