Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nathan O'Brien disappearance connected to patent dispute?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ould-be-connected-to-patent-dispute-1.2702103
Posted July 10, 2014

This is not an official transcript and is not connected to any of the participants.
This is a rough draft and all errors are my own.

CBC News Anchor = NA CBC Reporter Terry Reith = TR Kevin Brookwell, Calgary Police Service = KB

NA: Calgary Police offered a few new clues today about a missing five year old and his grandparents. Their investigation now includes business issues between the grandfather, Alvin Liknes, and Douglas Garland. Garland is the man still in custody police describe as a "person of interest". The CBC's Terry Reith joins us again tonight with the latest. Terry.

TR: Kevin, it's been another dramatic yet frustrating day in the search for five year old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathy Liknes.

At the farm where Douglas Garland was arrested last Friday, where he ran a drug lab in the 90's, explosives experts rolled in this morning five days after police began their search of the property.

KB: I can confirm that a quantity of chemicals has been located at the Airdrie property. All I can say is that it has been considered dangerous and flammable in nature so we're taking precautions at that site.

TR: Eleven days ago, five year old Nathan O'Brien, and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathy Liknes, were reported missing. Police will only say they are hopeful of finding them. And now police confirm they are investigating a business relationship between Alvin Liknes and Douglas Garland.

KB: Yes, we have investigators looking into those allegations that there were some business issues, and, and we're dedicating a number of folks that are checking into that as well.

TR: Meantime, the search continues: three landfill sites are being checked. Police say they have found "something" but--

KB: We don't know if there is any relevance to this file or not, so they're just looking for anything suspicious.

TR: Police have also combed fields and forests, knocked on doors, and appealed for help.

KB: As the days pass, it does pose its challenges. So that's what makes it unique.

TR: Police are still saying this is a missing persons case not a homicide, and an Amber Alert remains in effect. But tonight, in Calgary, a devastated family is finding some comfort in the candlelight vigil for the missing three. Kevin.

However, to neighbours who know everything about each other, the couple’s son was always an enigma.

Douglas Garland, 54, was considered quiet, a loner. He was never seen at the bank, at local bars or shopping at the supermarket. Where most locals would honk and wave as they drove past, Doug would stare straight ahead through the steering wheel of his green Ford F-150.

Life on Range Road 291 changed forever at 1:30 a.m. on July 14. The quiet street was awash with flashing lights that night as neighbours said Mr. Garland crossed two open fields and was arrested on the porch of the home behind his family’s property.

Over the last weekend of June, hundreds streamed through the front door of the blue-grey clapboard house at 123 38A Avenue in Calgary – the Liknes home. One of the many vehicles to park near the house, police would later reveal, belonged to Mr. Garland, whose sister, Patti, was in a common-law relationship with Alvin and Kathryn Liknes’s son Allen.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/airdrie-calgary-struggle-with-grim-puzzle/article19682368/?page=1

I can't recall but I don't *think* I've seen this yet.
What if DG HAD to take either AL or KL with him, away from the property for some reason? To retrieve something... show them something..?
It would have been so much easier to fake a CO2 poisoning, or like someone above just said, walk in, shoot them and walk away.

There is some reason why they were removed from the home. Now what was it?

Maybe they weren't dead yet????.... It has only ever been confirmed that one was taken in at least medical distress... that could of been really only evidence of that there and maybe they found the evidence else where to lead them to believe all are now deceased... just a thought... we just can't figure out why he would of needed to take them from the house... maybe his whole intent was to take AL and KL with him from the house and then one NO was involved either AL or KL fought like crazy to try to keep NO safe. It's just so hard to say without knowing what LE knows...

I think his original plan was to make them disappear. And I still believe he thinks with no bodies he has a chance of getting away with it. If it wasn't for the camera (which I don't believe he knew about) would they even have a suspect? NO put a wrench in his plan.

does anyone know how soon the L's were planning on leaving for Mexico? Maybe his plan was just to make them disappear (with them leaving the country anyways their disappearance would go unnoticed a lot longer. Things just didn't go as planned when he showed up that night...

I know this sounds harsh, but I wish they would water-board DG to get him to talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New and I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts so forgive me if I am repeating what has already been put out there.

I wonder if DG wore gloves the whole time, or if perhaps part of the compilation of evidence that LE has are his fingerprints inside the house or maybe AL's truck? IMO, if this was about revenge, I doubt that DG snuck up on them while sleeping, I think he would've wanted to confront AL so he would know why he was there.
Whatever happened that night, I cannot wrap my head around how he could hurt that little boy. :-(
I'm just so very sad for this family, and I pray for them constantly.

I always found the hose strange too. I think about why a person whould ever take the time to put that hose back up on the rack beside the door. Sloppy as it was, did DG actually throw it back up there?!? That action would leave evidence so it makes no sense to me.

I figure a person with OCD, who felt compelled to put the hose back up, would want to wind it.... But based on the photos, the hose looked very sloppy.... Almost put back up in haste.. Why even bother is my only question, at the point the hose needed to be put up it was already quite obvious that something horrible had taken place so your not covering anything up by winding the hose and that's time that you could be leaving. Why would DG risk spending an unnecessary second at the Liknes home?

It has just has always stuck to me because it seems to me that it wasn't usually left like that... The Liknes property looked very neat and well pruned. IMHO AL and KL would have normally wound up their hose properly and DG is the person who left it looking sloppy.

Here is a photo of the hose I saved from google images when the story was initially released:
View attachment 55149

Are we even sure that they are blood/drag marks... if I remember correctly they never did confirm blood at the scene... I would just assume they are bloody drag marks but how can we be sure?

No way out when you owe money to the Canadian Gov't., for employee remittance , or GST, unless you can find a tax Lawyer @ $900 per hr. good luck, the Gov't will then come after you personally, perhaps that it why it was a quiet sale via a Lawyer.

I personally
have had terrible experiences with Lawyers, I was the victim do to a Lawyers's shoddy work. After 7 years of litigation and 100,000's thousand dollars later , I was told to get a 2nd opinion, hello....can't stand them, show me a respectful one ..please...the only blessing in this case is a LAWYER bought this home from the Folks via a private sale, perhaps thinking he could coin it. Good luck selling it now..JMO

My hearts go out to all who have lost. peace.

Are you sure AB has more recreational fisherman than any other province??? Because I'm originally from Ontario and now living in YYC and was shocked that AB had such few lakes. I was even more shocked to learn that SK has more lakes than AB, having believed SK was just dry flat land. lol And of course, Ontario is replete with various sized lakes and a very large area of "cottage country".

The 2005 F & O survey showed Ontario had a total of 16,000 fishermen (anglers) while Alberta had only 5,900. NFLD & Labrador had the highest number. (http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/rec/can/2005/section2-eng.htm)

In 2010 the F & O survey had Ontario with a total of 30,680 while AB had 5,800. (http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/rec/can/2010/section2-eng.htm).

These are just purchase stats for hunters/anglers and don't include youth and seniors. Alberta does have very little in terms of lakes and such, but very fine fishing if you know where to go.
http://mywildalberta.com/BuyLicences/AnnualSalesStatistics.aspx

Aren't suicide watches normal procedure for high profile cases? Castro was on one too in Ohio but still managed to kill himself in his cell

I spoke to a family member tonight who's worked in maximum security prisons for years and I asked what an inmate (in Canada) has to do to get put on suicide watch. He said they would have to get a psych evaluation, not that they necessarily attempted it, could be used to watch him 24/7 or to keep a person separate from other inmates in this case because of the child factor. He also said with psychopaths, after they're done doing their damage/crime and get caught they fall into a deep depression called 'zero state'. They get severely depressed while incarcerated because they're not able to do their manipulating and other deviant things they do. BBM, just thought that was interesting to know.

Are we even sure that they are blood/drag marks... if I remember correctly they never did confirm blood at the scene... I would just assume they are bloody drag marks but how can we be sure?

In any of the pictures was there any blood on the walls outside the house?

I spoke to a family member tonight who's worked in maximum security prisons for years and I asked what an inmate (in Canada) has to do to get put on suicide watch. He said they would have to get a psych evaluation, not that they necessarily attempted it, could be used to watch him 24/7 or to keep a person separate from other inmates in this case because of the child factor. He also said with psychopaths, after they're done doing their damage/crime and get caught they fall into a deep depression called 'zero state'. They get severely depressed while incarcerated because they're not able to do their manipulating and other deviant things they do. BBM, just thought that was interesting to know.

That is really, really interesting and makes total sense.

No way out when you owe money to the Canadian Gov't., for employee remittance , or GST, unless you can find a tax Lawyer @ $900 per hr. good luck, the Gov't will then come after you personally, perhaps that it why it was a quiet sale via a Lawyer.

Yes, payroll and GST are considered trust debt because it is money you have taken from people in trust for the government. That is the one kind of CRA debt that is maintained in a corporate bankruptcy.

I have wondered if the murderer used the Liknes' truck to take the deceased victims away. Parked his truck somewhere close by and walked to the house. This way he figured there would be on evidence/DNA/blood on his truck and no one would have spotted his truck at their house. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper