Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd still like to get us locals together and do something symbolic for the family ... I still feel that need. My close work colleague is the sister-in-law of the Carlson's (hope I can post the last name) the couple that were murdered earlier this year and they have become the surrogate parents for their children ( in their 20s but obviously in need of support) ... she said how much these types of things mean. She said the kids would actually like to reach out to the O & L family since they've been there. I advised her that going through the church might be the best bet.

If someone (Cherchri?) would like to collect names and contacts for all the local people that are interested in doing something special for the family, like a memorial tree planting, maybe there can be a time/place where everyone can get together at a central coffee shop/pub (like Kensington or 17th Ave) and brainstorm. If everyone pitches in something like $20 then it's easier to decide what is possible and appropriate.

Neighbours launch fundraiser for family of missing Calgarians

First, we’ve had a ton of people wanting to donate in some capacity and secondly, as I sat down with Rod and got to learn more about what their immediate needs are, there’s a lot of expenses that I think the general public doesn’t understand. I didn’t understand it myself until I sat down with the family,” said Head.

Head, with help from Nathan’s father, Rod O’Brien, set up a ******** page to collect donations to help the family with things like memorial services, moving and storage costs for Alvin and Kathy's home and legal and estate fees.

“The house has to be moved out by the end of the month and moved into storage, well obviously no family member wants to go back to that premise so a lot of expenses that will be immediate that can really help them.

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/neighbour...of-missing-calgarians-1.1917293#ixzz37jmVWIt6

The link will not post for the fundraiser , click from original article. They have raised over $ 19,000. The comments below article are so nice to read, many people offering their services for free.

I wonder why things are being moved into storage? Would it not be easier for the family to go through and get what they want to remember the family by and then have someone like the salvation army or good will come in and take everything else? My opinion only is that they were selling everything... get rid of what you don't want... don't store it. And if the police want the things for later? they can store it. I would hate to see an auctioneer come in... there are a lot of people that collect things because they were from crime scenes. This family needs someone as a designated spokes person. Perhaps they should retain council?

As far as a bench goes, I would think that something like that would be a bit overwhelming at this point... The family still has hope that this family is alive.

I always struggle with the donations... this one not so much because the family is asking for nothing... but the Loretta Saunders case put a bad taste in my mouth.

Similar to my hypothesis a couple of evenings ago Buttercup. DG lying across the bench seat with a gun trained on AL and might explain the sighting of the driver who resembled AL at 4:30 am going 10k under the speed limit. I think this really viable.

DG would not be in control training a gun on AL while AL drives, the driver is in contro The driver has many opportunities to create an accident and attract attention in such a scenario. If I could keep my wits about me, and it were me, I would do exactly that,... An accident could be less fatal than allowing a killer to take you to a second location.

PButtercup has Al following in his vehicle, while DG drives with Nathan. In her scenario KL is the first one attacked. It would explain the Amber Alert referring to NO being in the company of his grandfather. Logistically speaking, there is only one body to transport.

I did say similar as opposed to the same. The similarity is AL driving under threat. I had deceased or severely injured KL and NO in my scenario. Having AL drive whilst under threat, would, as you point out, make things easier to control. Some work needed along these lines of thought but certainly some viability IMO.

I wonder why things are being moved into storage? Would it not be easier for the family to go through and get what they want to remember the family by and then have someone like the salvation army or good will come in and take everything else? My opinion only is that they were selling everything... get rid of what you don't want... don't store it. And if the police want the things for later? they can store it. I would hate to see an auctioneer come in... there are a lot of people that collect things because they were from crime scenes. This family needs someone as a designated spokes person. Perhaps they should retain council?

As far as a bench goes, I would think that something like that would be a bit overwhelming at this point... The family still has hope that this family is alive.

I always struggle with the donations... this one not so much because the family is asking for nothing... but the Loretta Saunders case put a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't understand why the house contents would be put in storage either, but perhaps the family needs time before they deal with it. There are a total of six children that need to work it out together.

Realistically and legally, the family can not go through the items and belongings and take what they want or dispose of things if AL and KL are deceased. This has to follow the appropriate estate procedure whereby either the wills dictate how the estate is distributed or the Intestate Succession Act governs the estate. An executor (in the event their are wills) or a Personal Representative (Intestate) handles the matter.

Additionally, if they are not deceased, they may want or need some of their stuff if/when they are found.

PButtercup has Al following in his vehicle, while DG drives with Nathan. In her scenario KL is the first one attacked. It would explain the Amber Alert referring to NO being in the company of his grandfather. Logistically speaking, there is only one body to transport.

The only problem with this scenario is there would be no way for DG to get AL's truck back to the house if AL is dead.

The law of attraction has been well documented. We attract and are attracted to those that are the most like us, with the same background and habits. I have often wondered how some of these partners in crime (eg. the Bernardos) found one another.

O/T but it seemed that Bernardo and Russ Williams attended Scarborough College together and were friends! Hmmmm! Elizabeth Bain's case was never solved to my knowledge!

I'm not trying to be insensitive but are family members really responsible for the Liknes home and moving their things and settling their estate? I would just apologize and say 'sorry I can't deal with this now'. It's not their responsibility. And I would hope they had life insurance policies to cover funeral expenses and whatnot.

Also the reward money might not have been offered by family members. The most recent case I remember is Relisha Rudd. She was homeless and the FBI offered up a $25k reward for information.

The black SUV is interesting. Maybe that is one of DG's vehicles and he used that to transport bodies and then switched to his truck to go back for clean up. He could have left it near the property to avoid detection from the road and neighbors but close enough that no one would be reporting an abandoned vehicle.

I honestly believe that DG did not think anyone would be looking for him.

It's good to see you posting again! I posted a floor plan of the house based on the front elevation, the aerial footprint, and the traditional layout of four level split homes. The room where the windows go to the floor must be the room upstairs in the front of the house with the balcony. I know that you looked carefully at all of the kijiji ads and media photos to understand the floorplan. Please have a look and let me know what you think about this as an approximate layout (proportions approximate as well).

Just a thought ... the brother's carpeting company used the Liknes' address as the registered address. If he did live with them for a while, maybe the possible "second living room" was his space.

(Although with the cold temps and frost heaves in AB, I don't think that space would have been too comfortable in the dead of winter. It's one thing to use a room without an excavated basement under it in warm weather but in the cold weather I don't imagine it would be that warm, even with space heaters.)

If someone (Cherchri?) would like to collect names and contacts for all the local people that are interested in doing something special for the family, like a memorial tree planting, maybe there can be a time/place where everyone can get together at a central coffee shop/pub (like Kensington or 17th Ave) and brainstorm. If everyone pitches in something like $20 then it's easier to decide what is possible and appropriate.

Happy to do that once everyone has decided upon a lasting tribute from us here on this forum.

I don't understand why the house contents would be put in storage either, but perhaps the family needs time before they deal with it. There are a total of six children that need to work it out together.
Yes, Time would make sense as an answer.

This is what I would do if I were friends of theirs. I would take the items that were being sold on Kijiji (with their permission) and donate them. I would pack everything else up for them and go together to rent a storage locker (maybe even a local business would be so kind as to lend for free). Then they have the gift of time and thought.

I'm not trying to be insensitive but are family members really responsible for the Liknes home and moving their things and settling their estate? I would just apologize and say 'sorry I can't deal with this now'. It's not their responsibility. And I would hope they had life insurance policies to cover funeral expenses and whatnot.

Also the reward money might not have been offered by family members. The most recent case I remember is Relisha Rudd. She was homeless and the FBI offered up a $25k reward for information.

The black SUV is interesting. Maybe that is one of DG's vehicles and he used that to transport bodies and then switched to his truck to go back for clean up. He could have left it near the property to avoid detection from the road and neighbors but close enough that no one would be reporting an abandoned vehicle.

The L house is only leased until the end of July. So, the things in the house need to come out and go somewhere. In order to settle an estate, there has to be a death certificate. So until that time, perhaps it's just best if the things go into storage. That's my take on it, anyway. There is a death benefit from CPP which can be used to cover funeral expenses. I do not know the amount, nor do I wish to be insensitive and speculate on the funeral, sorry. Not everyone buys life insurance, for various reasons.

I completely agree with you on that one. Without a body or a death cert. there is no need for an executor and I am guessing by the little bits that we have heard , that there is a DEEP cleaning that needs to happen in that house before anyone can even go in it. The family that was to move in have already said that they may not want to move there. I will look for link to support that.

Is it their problem? I don't know. Has it even been released as a crime scene? How are they to have their things out by the end of the month? Gosh I just keep thinking this is so strange.

O/T but it seemed that Bernardo and Russ Williams attended Scarborough College together and were friends! Hmmmm! Elizabeth Bain's case was never solved to my knowledge!

Not surprising.

(snip)

Wasn't the lease up on July 1? And the police had it in their possession for a couple of weeks after that so maybe the new owner now has entry to it and whatever's left in there has to be removed.

Later edit: Oops, ResearchQuest posted the same theory already.

DG would not be in control training a gun on AL while AL drives, the driver is in contro The driver has many opportunities to create an accident and attract attention in such a scenario. If I could keep my wits about me, and it were me, I would do exactly that,... An accident could be less fatal than allowing a killer to take you to a second location.

A matter if opinion Krystine. If NO were alive in the vehicle, unlikely AL would purposely have a car wreck IMO. So some added insights on this would be interesting, factoring in the sighting of a similar vehicle by a tipster who said the driver looked like AL. Darn this guy if he would only talk. He surely doesn't hope to bargain less time in the event he is convicted?

There is a death benefit from CPP which can be used to cover funeral expenses. I do not know the amount, nor do I wish to be insensitive and speculate on the funeral, sorry. Not everyone buys life insurance, for various reasons.

$2,500 max per person for the death benefit. Wouldn't be applicable to minors because they haven't contributed to CPP. Also, I obviously don't know the various employment situations, but KL might be entitled to a much lesser amount or potentially nothing depending on how much and when she was contributing to CPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay