Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just knowing the locations for gas transactions for his truck would tell LE the areas he has been in.

Also wondering if DG has a storage locker somewhere that he has rented, under another name.

A lot of farmers burn purple gas in their vehicles. (for farm vehicles and machinery) and they have their own tank on site.

Would farmers have taken grain off at the end of June? I think it's not very likely, too early in the season. Also, straw is often baled in small bales for easy handling, whereas hay goes into large bales. I suspect it's hay. But I could be wrong.

Not sure about Canada, but I know in Ohio the winter wheat was planted in the fall and then harvested around the end of June - it seemed like the 4th of July was always a big time for baling straw. I agree those bales could be hay too, but the poster mentioned grain carts so that's why I was thinking wheat.

I'm not familiar with what they grow in Canada, except for nice people (I'm in Florida with a lot of winter time "Snowbird" friends!)

I still hold hope that these people are alive. I really think DG has an underground hide out. When I was a kid we lived on an acreage and one of the teenage boys was a true outdoors kid, he was a hunter, a scout, into martial arts, slingshots, dirtbikes, and he had the coolest underground fort that we could walk down into. It was impressive and very hard to find. The entrance was a small hole in the ground covered in brush, remove the brush, climb down and we were in an open space. The ground was clay-like and it was well insulated and it was stable, we played in it for years. This kid who did this grew up to be an engineer and has done amazing things in his life and I bet he still has an underground shelter much more elaborate than the one he created as a boy. I hope DG has the same and it is fully stocked and the missing are in it and are coping and keeping faith that they can be found.

Not that it matters, but I'm 5'8" and that's where the top of my head hits my exterior door. He's also standing in front of the constable, and DG is stooped. Not that it matters a smidge :)
I wish we could look up his driver's licence .... are booking records available under ATIP? Would they include his height/weight etc?

I still hold hope that these people are alive. I really think DG has an underground hide out. When I was a kid we lived on an acreage and one of the teenage boys was a true outdoors kid, he was a hunter, a scout, into martial arts, slingshots, dirtbikes, and he had the coolest underground fort that we could walk down into. It was impressive and very hard to find. The entrance was a small hole in the ground covered in brush, remove the brush, climb down and we were in an open space. The ground was clay-like and it was well insulated and it was stable, we played in it for years. This kid who did this grew up to be an engineer and has done amazing things in his life and I bet he still has an underground shelter much more elaborate than the one he created as a boy. I hope DG has the same and it is fully stocked and the missing are in it and are coping and keeping faith that they can be found.
Funny, I found my way to a psychic crime fighters site and the one kept coming back to the idea of a hobbit hole.

Yes!!!!! I think in the end we're going to find out that things were a lot more simple .... I think they usually are. People keep using words like genius and mastermind and I just don't see it. No one in MSM or LE have described him in those terms, he has been described as intelligent and that is all.
<rsbm>

Actually, he has been referred to as genius:

from Calgary Herald, 1999 at:
http://injusticebusters.org/index.htm/newstories3.htm

Described by police as a genius ...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...convicted-drug-trafficker-has-ties-to-family/

At Douglas Garland’s trial, court heard he was a genius who studied science at the University of Alberta and studied to be a doctor. He left the program before earning a degree.

He served a 39-month federal prison sentence for drug trafficking.

When DG was arrested originally for the other offences, his lawyer spoke with reporters (paraphrasing here) that those were the only charges right now or something to that effect. I recall thinking at the time it was odd for him to say that but then thought maybe it wasn't. In light of his re-arrest, I wonder now if the lawyer was privy to information by LE that more charges would be laid in time pertaining to the missing family. If this is correct, when DG was released on bail, he definitely knew it was imminent a re-arrest and therefore it makes me wonder many thoughts. I tried finding that interview and maybe others may have better luck. If you can it was a very telling comment. I will keep looking as well.

I thought it was a bit odd at first as well, but then considering at that time he was only a person of interest to the police for the disappearance of the three family members, I think his lawyer wanted to be crystal clear to the media and the public, and it was just the choice of words he used. In other words, he wasn't retained for any other matters. And, LE wouldn't be going and sharing ANY information with a defence lawyer.

searchpond_zpsbcfff0e7.jpg

This slough seems way too convenient for my liking. I believe this is where the black SUV was seen seemingly stuck in the mud. I wonder if the Garlands had any other vehicles.

Not sure about Canada, but I know in Ohio the winter wheat was planted in the fall and then harvested around the end of June - it seemed like the 4th of July was always a big time for baling straw. I agree those bales could be hay too, but the poster mentioned grain carts so that's why I was thinking wheat.

I'm not familiar with what they grow in Canada, except for nice people (I'm in Florida with a lot of winter time "Snowbird" friends!)

In Alberta winter wheat is combined in the fall.

...I think his lawyer wanted to be crystal clear to the media and the public, and it was just the choice of words he used. In other words, he wasn't retained for any other matters. And, LE wouldn't be going and sharing ANY information with a defence lawyer.

I don't think it would be unheard of for a prominent lawyer such as Kim Ross to have secret sources within LE, perhaps not officers, but file clerks or typists, or other folks who may not be paid particularly well paid and might exchange info for money with him. Nevertheless, I think you are correct that the lawyer was trying to be clear, knowing that his client was a POI in a very high profile case.

The idea of an accomplish doesn't seem likely to me. If there was one would DG not have talked by now. I cant imagine him taking the blame entirely if there was more than him involved and would LE not have said something by now. I thought I heard LE say he was the only one they were actively looking at. Anything is possible but I cant see DG taking the blame if he could get away with it. Add to that his suicide watch because he knows he was caught. Respectfully my own opinion...
And add to that the well publicized fact that he is a loner! I agree, he acted alone.

View attachment 55253

This slough seems way too convenient for my liking. I believe this is where the black SUV was seen seemingly stuck in the mud. I wonder if the Garlands had any other vehicles.

On the raw video there is a whitish/blackish car/SUV with all the doors open + at the very end one can see a blue car under some trees.

View attachment 55253

From this picture it looks to me that this so called 'farm' is only 40 acres. It looks like it was a quarter section that had 2 acreages subdivided off it. It would be just too expensive to 'farm' only 40 acres.

Right! That's exactly what got me going. As the camera is zooming in on that hut, you can see what looks like a propane tank behind it. It also has a little ventilator on the roof. Does anyone know what this hut/shed is?
View attachment 55237

I sent the pic of the three sheds to a friend of mine who lives on a farm and he said it is a gas powered water pump. Looks like there's hose behind it and bags could be soluble fertilizer in the other two.

He said either that or a smokehouse/dryhouse.

Funny, I found my way to a psychic crime fighters site and the one kept coming back to the idea of a hobbit hole.

That I could live with! I keep trying to get on that site, but am having issues. I sometimes think I am psychic... If only I could prove it! Do you have a link?

This is all speculation.

We don't even know for a definite fact which hotel kicked him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering if anyone knows what time he was kicked out? Then we would know how long he had to roam around and "check on" whatever he was "checking on". I really do think that he was up to something, desperate to get to something specific near the farm. I always thought it was strange when he appeared for the bail hearing and he said he works sometimes past 9. (I was assuming he meant on the farm...) seemed he was stressed about being separated from the farm. The post about maybe him covering his tracks with being up all night with the greenhouse lights on and burning stuff. Or because he seems to be such a recluse, it could just be that he was uncomfortable with the thought of being away from home. I sure wish he knew more about him. There sure aren't any interviews with acquaintances, friends or family to go on. Just the ALjr. (the son in law) I have also wondering where he was working. The only thing I can think of is just working on his parents farm, especially after his statement about working after 9. If he did have a job at the time of the arrest wouldn't there be interviews with bosses or co workers?

There would be a record of those purchases at the store. Only qualified people can purchase restricted chemicals. DG may have been qualified, and if so, his name, address, registration number, etc., would be documented at the time of purchase.

http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/library/7285.pdf

If DGs parents farm is no longer active, perhaps DG was hired by other farms in the area.
If he's experienced with machinary operation and maintenance, can seed and fertilize and harvest, he might be in demand. This means he'd have access to chemicals and knowledge of other properties. If he helped out friends of his parents ... Farming communities are close knit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay