Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The business is closed, the house is sold, the house contents were liquidated during a three day estate sale, and, in terms of expenses, there are no funeral expenses at this time because there are no bodies. The final bills (phone, gas, etc.) have to be paid for the month of July. The family wants to put the house contents in storage, but that isn't a necessary expense given that the owners are deceased. What expenses might there be that I'm not able to anticipate?

I've been wondering this too, with all due respect.

Obviously there would be the expense of a funeral or memorial, but the house was already sold, so would there be any need for an estate executor? If they declared bankruptcy, then is there any need for legal costs to be incurred by the family?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a chance that gov't employees are taking money under the table to slip something to a lawyer, and not a chance that a lawyer would risk disbarment for a client.

Very true, Otto.

In Ontario where I live: http://www.otf.ca/en/aboutUs/resources/Oath_of_Office.pdf

In Alberta: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/O01.pdf

Taking an oath as a public servant is required - either affirmed or sworn, just as a witness on the stand would be required to do so. Now, we also have the eagle feather used by people of Aboriginal ancestry.

https://www.fanshawec.ca/sites/default/files/news_image/election_guidelines.pdf - (Ontario)

"OTHER OBLIGATIONS
• All public servants are subject to the conflict of interest rules set out in regulation
established under the PSOA. For example, public servants cannot:
- disclose confidential information gained in the service of the Crown
- use employment with the Crown to personally benefit
- use employment with the Crown to give preferential treatment.
• Public servants are governed at all times by the oaths of office and allegiance"

BBM

I've been wondering this too, with all due respect.

Obviously there would be the expense of a funeral or memorial, but the house was already sold, so would there be any need for an estate executor? If they declared bankruptcy, then is there any need for legal costs to be incurred by the family? One site set up by the neighbour of Nathan's parents currently has $41,000 in donations, and that's not the only donation site. Hopefully that is enough to cover the expenses that the six adult children in the Liknes family have to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The victims are deceased, so the Will should be processed. There are certainly expenses, and paperwork to complete, when someone is deceased, but most people should plan for that in order to avoid leaving a financial burden on their family. Last time my family dealt with a death, the single biggest expense was the coffin ... and that was taken out of the estate.

23vj1id.jpg

2eej7yf.jpg

http://globalnews.ca/news/1434528/m...-presence-at-rural-property-north-of-calgary/

I lightened it up and added a red arrow on the guy I think you mean in the top picture. I'm pretty sure I remember this coming up here on one of the first threads because it looked like a wrapped up body - but I don't know what it actually was.

I wonder how heavy the white building on the right would be? What it's sitting on as well? Cement? Could it be lifted with something like a jackall? Perhaps it covers something? The other two buildings don't seem to have like bases.

I wonder how heavy the white building on the right would be? What it's sitting on as well? Cement? Could it be lifted with something like a jackall? Perhaps it covers something? The other two buildings don't seem to have like bases.

Does anyone know where those images came from? I'd like to try to get a higher resolution image. There's a tap there on the ground and it looks like it's related to the larger shed on the right. It almost looks like there's a culvert or drainage pipe on the other side of the shed. I have wondered if there is an irrigation system.

The chemical shed photo that was posted ... I didn't click on the link. What is a chemical shed normally used for?

It looks like it's an "On farm pesticide storage" shed that falls under the Dangerous Goods Act. See below

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/agricult...orage/on-farm-pesticide-storage-minor-storage

"Ventilation and Handling Precautions:

Ventilation of the storage facility must prevent a build up of chemical vapours. The areas used for handling, filling and decanting chemicals must have additional ventilation to ensure a safe working environment."

"Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)

The MSDS contains additional information about the chemical and details of the first aid requirements of a chemical.

Current MSDS must be obtained and held for all products found in the chemical store. MSDS must be easy to access in case of an emergency.

Inventory of chemicals

A copy of the inventory must be kept separately from the storage area for emergency purposes. The inventory should be updated every three months, including quantity and trade names of chemicals."

I think this is for Australia (easiest Chemical Shed link to find), but something similar must apply.

This is several modifications on the upthread photo ...to more easily see what is around the shed, what is underneath it.

Attachments

• CalgaryThreeShed - Copy.jpg
    CalgaryThreeShed - Copy.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 170

It looks like all the sheds are related. Thank you for the link!

I took a couple of still shots from the video. Could it be the irrigation system? Did Garland need to return to the property to turn things on after 9PM, as the sun went down ... is that what he meant when he told the judge that he had to return to the property after 9:30? I think the wording in the article about where he was caught was ambiguous. I think he was caught on his parent's back porch. He probably thought that he was home free, and then the flood lights came on.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1434629/raw-video-police-search-rural-property-north-of-calgary/

Attachments

• CalgaryThreeSheds - Copy.jpg
    CalgaryThreeSheds - Copy.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 160
I would love if they moved that shed!

I don't think so. I think it's part of the irrigation system for the working farm ... a guess.
If it's a farm system that was in place prior to the murders, it's probably safe to assume that no one is under the sheds.

Is the farm oats, rather than wheat? I didn't look that closely. Oats would be a good crop. Saskatchewan is wheat. Alberta is barley, canola, oats ... canola is yellow.

Does that still look like a wood chipper? I have no idea, but it does look like there's a large blue hose on the other side. Was the hose left lying around, or is it a part of the orange machine? I see a regular burning barrel - the rusty oil drum in the middle of the photo. There's a taller, rustier drum behind it. Does that have any farm application? What about the yellow ring on the ground? Is that part of evidence collection, or is that some plastic yellow shape in the yard?

Original still from video:

http://globalnews.ca/video/1434629/raw-video-police-search-rural-property-north-of-calgary/

Attachments

• CalgaryThreeBurningBarrelChipper - Copy.jpg
    CalgaryThreeBurningBarrelChipper - Copy.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 163
Does that still look like a wood chipper? I have no idea, but it does look like there's a large blue hose on the other side. Was the hose left lying around, or is it a part of the orange machine? I see a regular burning barrel - the rusty oil drum in the middle of the photo. There's a taller, rustier drum behind it. Does that have any farm application? What about the yellow ring on the ground? Is that part of evidence collection, or is that some plastic yellow shape in the yard?

The blue thing is not part of the machine .. it's the tarp we saw in pics that were taken from the opposite side.

I'm curious about the yellow circle also .. in the other pic posted earlier, there appears to be a hole in the ground that is the same diameter as that yellow thing. Is it a lid for something?

Attachments

• CalgaryThreePurpleGas - Copy.jpg
    CalgaryThreePurpleGas - Copy.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 35
  • CalgaryThreePTanks - Copy.jpg
    CalgaryThreePTanks - Copy.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 35
  • CalgaryThreePropane - Copy.jpg
    CalgaryThreePropane - Copy.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 35
It looks like all the sheds are related. Thank you for the link!

I took a couple of still shots from the video. Could it be the irrigation system? Did Garland need to return to the property to turn things on after 9PM, as the sun went down ... is that what he meant when he told the judge that he had to return to the property after 9:30? I think the wording in the article about where he was caught was ambiguous. I think he was caught on his parent's back porch. He probably thought that he was home free, and then the flood lights came on.

I remember when we first viewed that video *seems like yesterday but it was 2 weeks ago!*....The hazmat type suits caught my eye....*white* ...usually dealing with chemicals &/or *don't even want to type it* remains or fluids/tissues....

The more I watched this tho....the more I realized that they didn't tape off the area...they didn't seem too excited....they walked away after this in the video...

As to what is probably grown there....being only 40 acres....I'm guessing it's not a for profit farm...let's face it...unless you are growing money trees you won't make much on 40 acres....hobby farm...maybe....

I'm guessing they go haying every couple months....and probably sell the hay or trade with neighbours......it's basically a crop you can just 'let grow' ....notice the horses watching next door.....could be a few neighbours who could use the hay....

As for these matchy matchy buildings.......the one with the whirly turbine on top......I'm guessing pumphouse....sometimes sits on cement....all that will be in there is the pump being housed....a few mechanicals...whatever needed for the pump for the water system....As for the 2 matching smaller sheds...it looks like bags in there......and when we lived on the farm....we had extremely hard water......we used a water softener....takes a lot of softener too ...those bags are probably bags of softener salt......yes....salt......usually stored with the pump/water system ....if they are as I figure....then in that shed along with the pump could be the softener....Just google water softener commercial *bigger is better on the farm!*...and you'll get some idea what they look like..... :) JMOO

I remember when we first viewed that video *seems like yesterday but it was 2 weeks ago!*....The hazmat type suits caught my eye....*white* ...usually dealing with chemicals &/or *don't even want to type it* remains or fluids/tissues....

The more I watched this tho....the more I realized that they didn't tape off the area...they didn't seem too excited....they walked away after this in the video...

As to what is probably grown there....being only 40 acres....I'm guessing it's not a for profit farm...let's face it...unless you are growing money trees you won't make much on 40 acres....hobby farm...maybe....

I'm guessing they go haying every couple months....and probably sell the hay or trade with neighbours......it's basically a crop you can just 'let grow' ....notice the horses watching next door.....could be a few neighbours who could use the hay....

As for these matchy matchy buildings.......the one with the whirly turbine on top......I'm guessing pumphouse....sometimes sits on cement....all that will be in there is the pump being housed....a few mechanicals...whatever needed for the pump for the water system....As for the 2 matching smaller sheds...it looks like bags in there......and when we lived on the farm....we had extremely hard water......we used a water softener....takes a lot of softener too ...those bags are probably bags of softener salt......yes....salt......usually stored with the pump/water system ....if they are as I figure....then in that shed along with the pump could be the softener....Just google water softener commercial *bigger is better on the farm!*...and you'll get some idea what they look like..... :) JMOO

I'm pretty sure that it's a for-profit farm. It's not a major operation, but it is free money.

As far as I know, there is permafrost, and a short growing season. The crops have to go into the ground after the last frost, which is typically the third week of May. In September, an early frost is possible, meaning the crops should come off in late August. There's only one crop a season, as far as I know. If someone is going to put money into ensuring a good crop, chances are it's oats or barley. Barley is good for the beer market (hops grow on buildings), especially if it's harvested at the right time, and oats are highly sought after by horse enthusiasts.

They didn't tape off the area, it's not something related to the murders.

On the video the yellow looks like plastic pipe of some kind. You can see the ends of it.

On the video the yellow looks like plastic pipe of some kind. You can see the ends of it.

It does. Could it be a yellow ring around a tarp? The two white boxes sitting in the ring ... what are they?

Attachments

• CalgaryThreeBurningBarrelChipper - Copy.jpg
    CalgaryThreeBurningBarrelChipper - Copy.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 157
I'm pretty sure that it's a for-profit farm. It's not a major operation, but it is free money.

As far as I know, there is permafrost, and a short growing season. The crops have to go into the ground after the last frost, which is typically the third week of May. In September, an early frost is possible, meaning the crops should come off in late August. There's only one crop a season, as far as I know. If someone is going to put money into ensuring a good crop, chances are it's oats or barley. Barley is good for the beer market (hops grow on buildings), especially if it's harvested at the right time, and oats are highly sought after by horse enthusiasts.

They didn't tape off the area, it's not something related to the murders.

Well I won't argue about the profit...but with 40 acres....it's considered very very small...it may give them a little extra money but it would be difficult to sustain a family...Out of that goes fuel costs ...fertilizer...etc etc...

As for forage crops...hay/alfalfa....most farms try for at least a couple cuts a year...3 is really great....depends when you start in the spring....I'd go into all the stages but its boring and ...yeah....

I'd guess they are doing forage...basically for personal use *if they have animals* ...or for neighbours....small price...but it's something....I'm wondering if the G's had chickens....that one building with a large square fan on the one end looks like an old chicken barn.....Another thought too...they could have rented out the grassland/forage area to neighbours...then they get the forage from it themselves.....so many possibilities....JMOO

Well I won't argue about the profit...but with 40 acres....it's considered very very small...it may give them a little extra money but it would be difficult to sustain a family...Out of that goes fuel costs ...fertilizer...etc etc...

As for forage crops...hay/alfalfa....most farms try for at least a couple cuts a year...3 is really great....depends when you start in the spring....I'd go into all the stages but its boring and ...yeah....

I'd guess they are doing forage...basically for personal use *if they have animals* ...or for neighbours....small price...but it's something....I'm wondering if the G's had chickens....that one building with a large square fan on the one end looks like an old chicken barn.....Another thought too...they could have rented out the grassland/forage area to neighbours...then they get the forage from it themselves.....so many possibilities....

It's a few thousand dollars. Not a working income, but a nice bonus when retired. A lot of ranchers will lease their land. I think some small farmers will lease to horses, grow a crop, or raise chickens. If there is an irrigation system, chances are it's a successful crop that is in demand, like oats or barley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay