GUILTY Canada - Amber Kirwan, 19, New Glasgow, NS, 9 Oct 2011 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW GLASGOW – The boyfriend of missing 19-year-old Amber Kirwan says the police are not investigating him in connection with her Oct. 9 disappearance.

Mason Campbell said the police have no interest in him and he is confident he is not guilty of anything.

“I don’t believe I am guilty of anything in any way, shape or form,” he said. “The cops aren’t looking at me.”

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/201...-investigation-into-disappearance-continues/1

NEW GLASGOW – The boyfriend of missing 19-year-old Amber Kirwan says the police are not investigating him in connection with her Oct. 9 disappearance.

Mason Campbell said the police have no interest in him and he is confident he is not guilty of anything.

“I don’t believe I am guilty of anything in any way, shape or form,” he said. “The cops aren’t looking at me.”

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/201...-investigation-into-disappearance-continues/1

bbm

That's an odd statement, isn't it? I mean, either you are or you aren't, no matter what you *believe*.

It is interesting that Mason thinks the police aren't suspicious of him or investigating him. I wonder why he thinks that?

The boyfriend of missing 19-year-old Amber Kirwan says the police are not investigating him in connection with her Oct. 9 disappearance.

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011-10-25/article-2786324/Kirwan%E2%80%99s-boyfriend-speaks-out;-investigation-into-disappearance-continues/1

Const. Ken MacDonald of the New Glasgow Police Service said police could not comment on Campbell’s statement.

One man dead.

Police blocked off streets surrounding the area and were not allowing vehicles within the perimeter to leave. One officer could be seen with gun in hand at the bottom of Mechanic Street. Dogs were brought in to help search.

A resident of Mechanic Street who lives just up from where the shooting occurred said he was working in his garage when he heard two loud bangs.

“I hunt and I know it was a gunshot for sure. It was so loud. It was no Halloween prank.”

He said that he heard from other neighbours that the victim was a man and that he died.

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011-10-25/article-2786368/Neighbours-say-man-dead/1

It is interesting that Mason thinks the police aren't suspicious of him or investigating him. I wonder why he thinks that?

According to the article Mason says that his car was returned to him on Sunday ... maybe that is why he is thinking this way.

The waiting for 1 minute and 40 seconds at Big Al's for Amber has still got me scratching my head.

As many of you have said already....

1 minute and 40 seconds!

"I don't know what happened to her. She just didn't show up at Big Al's."

1 minute and 40 seconds.

Really???

So, to take the 'forgiving' slant.... here's a possible scenario. Amber called MC. She knew it would take him a little time to get to Big Al's. So she chatted for a few minutes with her friends, but perhaps longer than she realized. She hiked it up to BA's and, by then, ( 1 minute and 40 seconds) MC had already taken off. He was impatient, and angry, perhaps. He knew it was inappropriate and illegal for him to be out driving so late at night. So, there she was without a ride home. She waited around for 15 minutes or so and then realized that MC was not going to show up. Someone saw her hanging around there and stopped to offer her 'help'. Perhaps it was someone that Amber unknowingly shouldn't have accepted a ride with.

It's one more scenario. And the 1 minute and 40 seconds fits into it.

Perhaps MC was impaired and now feels guilty for not 'being there' for Amber. Perhaps that is why he acts the way he does and says the things that sound suspicious to some.

Police await forensic report
Published on October 25, 2011
NEW GLASGOW – Police are still waiting to receive forensic reports on evidence gathered in the early days of a massive ground search for a missing teenager.

Const. Ken MacDonald says that items of interest, including clothing, were sent to forensic identification services in Ottawa for analysis.

“We’re waiting for the report on that, we’re expecting it any day,” MacDonald said Tuesday.
respectfully snipped and highlighted by me -- more at link

...also
about the video released
“The reason we released it is simply due to the fact that we’re looking for the people who may have been there that night or noticed something suspicious in the area.” MacDonald said. “We’ve gained valuable information from the public since we release it.”

But, he said, while police can identify many of the people standing outside Dooly’s who were captured in the surveillance video, they don’t know who may have been inside at the time. Police are looking for those individuals as well – particularly if they may have noticed Kirwan at the pool hall during the course of the evening.

“We’re hoping this will get the attention of someone who may have been there and refresh their memory of the night in question,” he said.

Police have been through the surveillance video time and again, with both investigators and forensic teams looking at the footage. They’ve contacted Kirwan’s friends, family, local businesses and taxis as part of the investigation, but MacDonald says they still want to talk to more people.

more at link: http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011-10-25/article-2786325/Police-await-forensic-report/1

I'm wondering if there are no surveillance cameras inside Dooly's...or perhaps there are, but they cannot release that footage because of privacy issues?

Comments?

apologies for 3 posts in a row, but that article contains important info.

“We’re looking for people who may have seen her before, during, or outside,” he said. “In any type of criminal activity, somebody knows something. And we need their information.”

Anyone with tips is being urged to call police first and foremost, he added.

“We want you to call police, we don’t want you to call anyone else,” MacDonald said, but added that if someone didn’t want to call police, they could also contact Crimestoppers, which doesn’t take the caller’s name or record a call.

“We’ve had a number of tips come in through Crimestoppers and a lot of information from the public.”

There are lots of rumours circulating in the community, but MacDonald urged county residents not to believe everything they hear.

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011-10-25/article-2786325/Police-await-forensic-report/1

If you have information regarding Amber Donna KIRWAN please call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477,

or submit a Secure Web Tip at http://crimestoppers.ns.ca.

Also by a TEXT “TIP202 plus your message to CRIMES (274637)”.

Amber Donna KIRWAN (Crime Stoppers page) : http://crimestoppers.ns.ca/2011/10/missing-amber-donna-kirwan-new-glasgow-ns/

marikesh, that was not what I said, if you read my post again, you'll see I was hypothetically pulling out of Al's parking lot by turning right and driving down on Provost towards the downtown core.

We had already established there is no left-turn from where the police cruiser is sitting.

(totally agree with Debbiec :innocent:)

My apologies; probably reading too fast and missing your meaning.

Marikesh: I also heard that he has a decent job, so it surprised me as well that he would let his vehicle inspection and insurance expire. I live in a neighbouring province, but if there is nothing wrong with your vehicle--the cost of the safety inspection is very minimal. (At his age insurance can be very, very expensive.)

I've been curious about his license myself, so I did Google for some info. Here is a link that makes a little sense of it:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/RMV/paal379.asp
Quote:
(4) Fourth restriction -- late-night driving: A Newly Licensed Driver is not allowed to drive between midnight and 5 a.m. unless they meet one of the two following conditions:
(a) they are accompanied by an "experienced driver" -- who has to be sitting in the front seat of the vehicle.
Note: not just every driver counts as an "experienced" driver! [For details, see the Learner's Licence, Additional Information (C-2).]
(b) or they have gotten a written exemption from the Department because of their job. A Form APP33 Application for Exemption from Nightime Driving Curfew must be properly completed, signed and submitted with the fee of $30.41 to request the exemption.

It does appear that his driver's license was valid. The first restriction is: "-- zero blood alcohol level." If his mother's statements to the media are true, he may have at least been trying to obey that one. Even that may be questionable, though.

Really, his actions are not 'common'. There are hefty and serious fines for driving without insurance and failing to have your vehicle inspected. All local police regularly check for vehicle inspection.

Thank you Truth. Insurance can be paid on a monthly rate for those who have hefty rates, up west anyway. Since he has his car back, if that is true, there mustn't be any issues I suppose. Or perhaps he has to park it.

As many of you have said already....

1 minute and 40 seconds!

"I don't know what happened to her. She just didn't show up at Big Al's."

1 minute and 40 seconds.

Really???

So, to take the 'forgiving' slant.... here's a possible scenario. Amber called MC. She knew it would take him a little time to get to Big Al's. So she chatted for a few minutes with her friends, but perhaps longer than she realized. She hiked it up to BA's and, by then, ( 1 minute and 40 seconds) MC had already taken off. He was impatient, and angry, perhaps. He knew it was inappropriate and illegal for him to be out driving so late at night. So, there she was without a ride home. She waited around for 15 minutes or so and then realized that MC was not going to show up. Someone saw her hanging around there and stopped to offer her 'help'. Perhaps it was someone that Amber unknowingly shouldn't have accepted a ride with.

It's one more scenario. And the 1 minute and 40 seconds fits into it.

Perhaps MC was impaired and now feels guilty for not 'being there' for Amber. Perhaps that is why he acts the way he does and says the things that sound suspicious to some.

Snoopster: I agree with your last paragraph--very much so. Regarding your theory, which is certainly as good as anything I can come up with, I was wondering if you had a chance to catch the CTV coverage of the case on Monday, October 24, 2011. I'll add a link and a quote, just for convenience:
http://atlantic.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111024/big_als_111024/20111024/?hub=AtlanticHome
Quote:
CTV News spoke with storeowner Al Sutherland on Monday and he says there are three video cameras outside the store, located just a little over 200metres from Dooly's.

He says his store closed at 11 p.m. the night Kirwan disappeared, but the cameras were still rolling. However, Kirwan doesn't appear on any of the videos from that night.

If you go to about the 00:45 to 00:46 second mark of the video, you will see that the range of the cameras in front of Big Al's extends to the sidewalk, across the street. For a great still shot from the video, you can go to this post by Hazel (thank-you, Hazel): Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CANADA Canada - Amber Kirwan, 19, New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, 9 Oct 2011

I really take this to mean that the authorities have checked and double checked, and have confirmed to their satisfaction that Amber was nowhere near Big Al's at anytime during the early morning hours of October 9, 2011. Considering the timeline of the Dooly's video and statements made by MC concerning the 'time' it may have taken him to get to Big Al's, it does seem as if Amber may have disappeared before he arrived to pick her up.

We also have this news write-up and quote:
http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/201...suspicious-activity-night-woman-disappeared/1
Quote:
She is spotted walking near Spears Boarding House before she walks out of the camera’s range.

I'm favouring the idea that this may be the last sighting they have of Amber. Here is a link to a Google map showing the location of the 'Spears Boarding House': http://g.co/maps/x777j; you can also find it in view at the 01:45 minute mark of the CTV video, linked above; or you can find a great still of the shot at this link by poster Wondergirl (thank you, Wondergirl), picture #3: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CANADA Canada - Amber Kirwan, 19, New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, 9 Oct 2011

I find it's interesting to note that the same CTV video (as linked above) continues on with footage of the 'stop' sign area, which was purported to be the location of the finding of the 'black object', thought to be a shoe; and the 'path' barely beyond the stop sign, leading through to Alexander St. Here is a Google map link with area 'A' representing the 'stop sign' area on Archimedes St.; and area 'C' representing where the 'path' may come out on Alexander St.

I'll add this link as I apologize for the length of my post, as it is the only one I can find that at least mentions that the 'black object' may have been a 'shoe.'
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/local/article/993454--no-new-leads-in-search-for-missing-woman
Quote:
Police were spotted picking up black objects, which looked like shoes, from a grassy area near downtown New Glasgow yesterday afternoon, {...snipped}

Thank you Truth. Insurance can be paid on a monthly rate for those who have hefty rates, up west anyway. Since he has his car back, if that is true, there mustn't be any issues I suppose. Or perhaps he has to park it.

Marikesh: It would also be interesting to know in whose name the vehicle is registered, and whether or not MC is listed as the principal operator of the vehicle. :silenced:

(A little off topic, but just sayin'!)

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/201...m-man-dead;-homicide-investigation-underway/1
Heading: Police confirm man dead; homicide investigation underway
Quote:
UPDATE: Wednesday, Oct. 26, 12:12 p.m. -

TRENTON – Police are now saying they are not ruling out a connection between the Trenton homicide Tuesday night and the case of missing Pictou County teen Amber Kirwan.

Const. Ken MacDonald had originally indicated there was no connection between the two cases, but now says that it’s too early to rule that out.

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/201...m-man-dead;-homicide-investigation-underway/1
Heading: Police confirm man dead; homicide investigation underway
Quote:
UPDATE: Wednesday, Oct. 26, 12:12 p.m. -

TRENTON – Police are now saying they are not ruling out a connection between the Trenton homicide Tuesday night and the case of missing Pictou County teen Amber Kirwan.

Const. Ken MacDonald had originally indicated there was no connection between the two cases, but now says that it’s too early to rule that out.

Wow.

So between 10:15 am this morning, and 12:15, LE has done an about face on whether the man's murder is related to Amber.

Wow.

I find it's interesting to note that the same CTV video (as linked above) continues on with footage of the 'stop' sign area, which was purported to be the location of the finding of the 'black object', thought to be a shoe; and the 'path' barely beyond the stop sign, leading through to Alexander St. Here is a Google map link with area 'A' representing the 'stop sign' area on Archimedes St.; and area 'C' representing where the 'path' may come out on Alexander St.

I'll add this link as I apologize for the length of my post, as it is the only one I can find that at least mentions that the 'black object' may have been a 'shoe.'
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/local/article/993454--no-new-leads-in-search-for-missing-woman
Quote:
Police were spotted picking up black objects, which looked like shoes, from a grassy area near downtown New Glasgow yesterday afternoon, {...snipped}

Thank-you for your post.

I didn't realize that there were black objectS (plural) found.

I guess I always thought it was possible Amber lost one shoe around that intersection/near the boarding house/near the path (possibly).

Both shoes? Hmmm. :waitasec:

More info here. Word about schools being in lockdown too.

Investigators were going door-to-door Wednesday while others used metal detectors to scour the road for evidence.

Police were called to Mechanic Street at about 8 p.m. after a 911 caller reported shots in the area.

Officers found a 44-year-old man dead outside a home.

The father-in-law of the victim told CBC News that four children ranging in age from four to nine were inside at the time.

He said one of his granddaughters called him just after 8 p.m. screaming that her father had been shot and was lying outside.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/10/26/ns-trenton-homicide.html

I do hope LE established the checkpoints last night between 8 and 9 pm.

Checkpoints are set-up on all approaches into Trenton which include Main Street, Park Road, and Trenton Road. Mechanic Street is closed to traffic as police investigators search for evidence related to the shooting.

The name of the deceased is being withheld pending next of kin notification. An autopsy has been scheduled for later today in Halifax.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/local/article/1007075--police-ask-for-public-help-after-trenton-shooting

Thank-you for your post.

I didn't realize that there were black objectS (plural) found.

I guess I always thought it was possible Amber lost one shoe around that intersection/near the boarding house/near the path (possibly).

Both shoes? Hmmm. :waitasec:

Wondergirl: I wondered about that, too. I haven't seen that mentioned in any other article, so I'm not sure how much we should believe, (or not believe.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebel23