Canada - Anthony Raine, 17 mos, found dead, Edmonton, April 2017 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Matou! I will alert a mod to delete! See ya there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't alert on my Tapatalk can you if you have time? Many thanks

I hope it's ok I mention this.

On the Sara Baillie FB group there is some chatter there on this case.

IMO this case should be in the crimes-spotlight on children forum since this toddler was not reported missing. This will likely be a homicide case.

Agree. Horrible situation. :(.

I'm trying to catch up here, I haven't been able to actually do much but skim over the posted links.

Do they know the cause of death? Like whether it was some kind of intentional killing, neglect or just an unfortunate death?

And with the clothes being found on or near the kid... It's cooler than normal today in KY even though we've generally been having warmer than usual weather. Does the "near" option mean that they were left outside naked?

I don't necessarily see the child in the stroller. However, I do wonder if those are his feet kind of propped on the foot rest area that most strollers this size have. Notice the white on the front of the shoes....

attachment.php

attachment.php

What sort of looks like legs hanging down lower than the white I circled appears to be wide stroller wheels. It looks like it has double wheels on each side in the front.

Wonder if this accounts for the discrepancy in reporting, child found, clothes found. Maybe the child had no clothes on cause they were in stroller as seen on the baby buggy. OR this was taken last time he was seen alive.

[video=twitter;856268130724794372]https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/856268130724794372[/video]

Edmonton police: Man, 26, and woman, 25, arrested last night believed to be responsible for death of toddler. No charges laid yet.

I have been in my WSer mode until right now, when this case suddenly hit me. I let it hit me. So many of us would have taken that child in if we knew he was in such danger. Who wouldn't have hugged him to keep him safe?

I was reminded of an incident many years ago when my son was around 12 months old. There was an incident in our region where a mother claimed she had left her 10 month old boy in his car seat while she dashed into the variety store for a minute. She said when she came out, someone had taken off with her son. Ultimately her son was found, in his snowsuit, stashed in a snowbank on a rural road. She ultimately confessed that she had left him there. She had left him to die. I was devastated. :cry: I just wanted so badly to take that little guy in. My son was loved and safe. The poor victim wasn't.

I know there are far too many of these cases, but ones like this just hit that raw nerve.

Sorry about that. Now, I'm going back to my regular WSer mode. Just the facts.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3398534/e...-toddler-found-dead-at-north-edmonton-church/
“If the family needs help from our church, we will certainly give it to them,” said parishioner Nick Taylor.

Church officials said a vigil for the toddler is being planned for later this week. Details are expected on Monday.
attachment.php

Dozens of people have been stopping by the Good Shepherd Church to leave flowers and toys for a little boy, who was found dead Friday.

Attachments

• toddler2.jpg
    toddler2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 320
Has LE provided the identity of the child or stated they know the identity of the child? As soon as we have a ID or know LE knows the ID staff can move this thread over to crimes against children.

It is confusing. Some articles state 'clothes he was wearing'...others 'clothes found with'. This one has both. Possibly he was wearing some of the clothing. The batman onesie appears to have a dark stain around the upper shoulder area. LE folds it back when showing it to the public.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/edmonton-police-share-photos-of-people-they-say-might-help-in-dead-toddler-case-1.3380205

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that the child was found NEXT TO the clothes and was not wearing them. This tweet is from a journalist at one of the earliest press conferences.

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.25.33 PM.jpg

The surveillance photos were taken Monday.

Investigators believe the little boy, who is estimated to be 20 months old, was left in the area of 155 Avenue and Castledowns Road on Tuesday between 10:51 and 11:51 a.m.

The surveillance photo looks like it is from a supermarket. Is there one near the church? The boy was found on Friday so he was likely dead at least 4 days. He was probably dead for more than that. JMO

http://globalnews.ca/news/3397621/edmonton-police-looking-for-persons-of-interest-in-toddler-deaths/

This little boy was found just blocks from my childhood home (my mom's house). There is a large strip mall next to the church/firehall and transit station/loops...various stores....Sobey's is in this mall. It's about a 3 minute quick-paced walk from the church or 4 minute slower paced walk. The entrance to that store looks like Sobey's. The stroller looks definitely empty to me. I feel that's how EPS know what time and day the little one was left at the church.

Maybe they dropped him at the church for blessings before going to heaven? A lot of people have beliefs that church/last rites etc. is going to help the soul that's departing. Thank goodness they found him yesterday...there's like 8-10" of heavy/wet snow on the ground today...he would've been covered and not seen at all. :(

I wondered the same thing about the lack of description (ethnicity, etc.)...maybe there was a fair amount of decomposition or they otherwise couldn't tell? I can't imagine it would be beneficial in finding the parents to keep that quiet?

RIP little one. <3

Has LE provided the identity of the child or stated they know the identity of the child? As soon as we have a ID or know LE knows the ID staff can move this thread over to crimes against children.

Nothing has been reported yet regarding identity of the little boy but media indicates LE is expected to release more information Monday (tomorrow).

not sure what paper, but police said stroller had no child in it(re the pics they showed) that was monday, childs body left on Tuesday, found friday

I was reminded of an incident many years ago when my son was around 12 months old. There was an incident in our region where a mother claimed she had left her 10 month old boy in his car seat while she dashed into the variety store for a minute. She said when she came out, someone had taken off with her son. Ultimately her son was found, in his snowsuit, stashed in a snowbank on a rural road. She ultimately confessed that she had left him there. She had left him to die. I was devastated. :cry: I just wanted so badly to take that little guy in. My son was loved and safe. The poor victim wasn't.

I remember that case, if we're thinking of the same one. It took place in Kincardine, and involved the death of Dustin Bowers, age 11 months. His mother Julie Bowers was charged in his death and said that he was abducted from the car while she went into the store. However, at no time did Julie Bowers ever confess to having abandoned the child (who was indeed found in a snowbank the next day). She was acquitted after a very sensational trial in Toronto.

What is even more horrifying (if such were possible) is that the boy was almost certainly alive when found by the police, and was left lying in the snow for another two hours, then put in a body bag. The expert pathologist testified that he may in fact have suffocated in that bag, and that he might have been successfully revived had he received prompt medical treatment in hospital. Young children are generally the only ones able to be fully recovered from severe hypothermia but they must be gradually rewarmed under special conditions.

The coverage by the Toronto Star was extensive but is not online. The case came to attention again after the debacle of the horrendous misdeeds of now-disgraced pathologist Dr Charles Smith began to attract the attention of the Association for the Defense of the Wrongly Convicted. Dr Smith's sensationally unprofessional and ignorant work in Dustin's case was an early indicator of his complete incompetence. Unfortunately, it did not prevent him from going on to wreck hundreds of lives and cause the conviction of more than a dozen innocent people whose children actually died of natural causes.

We will probably never find out what exactly happened to little Dustin. Someone, certainly, knows. It occurred to me that, if it wasn't the mother, it may have been someone playing a "prank" or with a vendetta against her or the family. Once things turned serious no one would talk.

A couple of writers following up on Dr Smith's crimes have written summaries of the case; I append two links here:

http://netk.net.au/Smith/Smith27.asp

http://smithforensic.blogspot.ca/2008/02/bowers.html

There's some overlap, but each writer proves some unique details which might interest you.

Hopefully, the need for prompt intervention in cases of hypothermia is better understood today. As the saying goes, a person is not dead until they are "warm and dead." Vital signs are almost completely absent in a severely hypothermic person, but in many cases they can be revived, and children are more likely to recover with no brain damage than older people.

This case in Alberta is terribly gut-wrenching for similar reasons, though the story behind it is yet to be learned.

not sure what paper, but police said stroller had no child in it(re the pics they showed) that was monday, childs body left on Tuesday, found friday
Hmmmm....Maybe someone from Sobey's reported a couple was in the store with an empty stroller...That would definitely have been noticed! We all look for a baby in a stroller! They're so cute...I imagine most people do anyway! I sure do!

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm....Maybe someone from Sibley's reported a couple was in the store with an empty stroller...That would definitely have been noticed! We all look for a baby in a stroller! They're so cute...I imagine mist people do anyway! I sure do!

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Sorry..."Sobey's"*

I remember that case, if we're thinking of the same one. It took place in Kincardine, and involved the death of Dustin Bowers, age 11 months. His mother Julie Bowers was charged in his death and said that he was abducted from the car while she went into the store. However, at no time did Julie Bowers ever confess to having abandoned the child (who was indeed found in a snowbank the next day). She was acquitted after a very sensational trial in Toronto.

What is even more horrifying (if such were possible) is that the boy was almost certainly alive when found by the police, and was left lying in the snow for another two hours, then put in a body bag. The expert pathologist testified that he may in fact have suffocated in that bag, and that he might have been successfully revived had he received prompt medical treatment in hospital. Young children are generally the only ones able to be fully recovered from severe hypothermia but they must be gradually rewarmed under special conditions.

The coverage by the Toronto Star was extensive but is not online. The case came to attention again after the debacle of the horrendous misdeeds of now-disgraced pathologist Dr Charles Smith began to attract the attention of the Association for the Defense of the Wrongly Convicted. Dr Smith's sensationally unprofessional and ignorant work in Dustin's case was an early indicator of his complete incompetence. Unfortunately, it did not prevent him from going on to wreck hundreds of lives and cause the conviction of more than a dozen innocent people whose children actually died of natural causes.

We will probably never find out what exactly happened to little Dustin. Someone, certainly, knows. It occurred to me that, if it wasn't the mother, it may have been someone playing a "prank" or with a vendetta against her or the family. Once things turned serious no one would talk.

A couple of writers following up on Dr Smith's crimes have written summaries of the case; I append two links here:

http://netk.net.au/Smith/Smith27.asp

http://smithforensic.blogspot.ca/2008/02/bowers.html

There's some overlap, but each writer proves some unique details which might interest you.

Hopefully, the need for prompt intervention in cases of hypothermia is better understood today. As the saying goes, a person is not dead until they are "warm and dead." Vital signs are almost completely absent in a severely hypothermic person, but in many cases they can be revived, and children are more likely to recover with no brain damage than older people.

This case in Alberta is terribly gut-wrenching for similar reasons, though the story behind it is yet to be learned.

OMG!! Are you kidding??? That's one of the most tragic things I've ever heard of!! Poor little Dustin! :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back