Canada - Anthony Raine, 17 mos, found dead, Edmonton, April 2017 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I remember that case, if we're thinking of the same one. It took place in Kincardine, and involved the death of Dustin Bowers, age 11 months. His mother Julie Bowers was charged in his death and said that he was abducted from the car while she went into the store. However, at no time did Julie Bowers ever confess to having abandoned the child (who was indeed found in a snowbank the next day). She was acquitted after a very sensational trial in Toronto.

What is even more horrifying (if such were possible) is that the boy was almost certainly alive when found by the police, and was left lying in the snow for another two hours, then put in a body bag. The expert pathologist testified that he may in fact have suffocated in that bag, and that he might have been successfully revived had he received prompt medical treatment in hospital. Young children are generally the only ones able to be fully recovered from severe hypothermia but they must be gradually rewarmed under special conditions.

The coverage by the Toronto Star was extensive but is not online. The case came to attention again after the debacle of the horrendous misdeeds of now-disgraced pathologist Dr Charles Smith began to attract the attention of the Association for the Defense of the Wrongly Convicted. Dr Smith's sensationally unprofessional and ignorant work in Dustin's case was an early indicator of his complete incompetence. Unfortunately, it did not prevent him from going on to wreck hundreds of lives and cause the conviction of more than a dozen innocent people whose children actually died of natural causes.

We will probably never find out what exactly happened to little Dustin. Someone, certainly, knows. It occurred to me that, if it wasn't the mother, it may have been someone playing a "prank" or with a vendetta against her or the family. Once things turned serious no one would talk.

A couple of writers following up on Dr Smith's crimes have written summaries of the case; I append two links here:

http://netk.net.au/Smith/Smith27.asp

http://smithforensic.blogspot.ca/2008/02/bowers.html

There's some overlap, but each writer proves some unique details which might interest you.

Hopefully, the need for prompt intervention in cases of hypothermia is better understood today. As the saying goes, a person is not dead until they are "warm and dead." Vital signs are almost completely absent in a severely hypothermic person, but in many cases they can be revived, and children are more likely to recover with no brain damage than older people.

This case in Alberta is terribly gut-wrenching for similar reasons, though the story behind it is yet to be learned.

That is certainly the case I am referring to Palisadesk. I don't remember those details about her trial, but then again I was busy with a young family and work. Thanks for sharing the name as I will go look it up now!

(ETA: I looked it up and now remember why I thought the mom confessed. She said she had a dream and lead police to his body. Say no more. She had a brilliant lawyer who got her off, but come on, how did she randomly know where her young child was? Too farfetched for me. )

Regarding this particular case, I am most interested in hearing the details. I hold no judgement until I do. Bless this little guy.

Has LE provided the identity of the child or stated they know the identity of the child? As soon as we have a ID or know LE knows the ID staff can move this thread over to crimes against children.

He has been identified in MSM but not by LE, it was his family members that confirmed it. I'll look for a link (I heard it on the radio...)

link to Edmonton radio station: http://www.inews880.com/syn/98/211868/211868

His mom has posted at least one picture of him on a FB memorial page. Can I link that yet?

He has been identified in MSM but not by LE, it was his family members that confirmed it. I'll look for a link (I heard it on the radio...)

His mom has posted at least one picture of him on a FB memorial page. Can I link that yet?

Here's another

Global News has learned the identity of the young boy whose body was found in northeast Edmonton Friday afternoon.

Family has identified the toddler as Anthony Joseph Raine.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3398821/toddler-found-dead-at-north-edmonton-church-identified/

http://www.630ched.com/2017/04/23/toddler-found-dead-at-north-edmonton-church-identified/#.WP1bZ60esnM.twitter

Global News has learned the identity of the young boy whose body was found in northeast Edmonton Friday afternoon.
Family has identified the toddler as Anthony Joseph Raine.

http://media.socastsrm.com/wordpress/wp-content/blogs.dir/110/files/2017/04/toddler-death2.jpg

toddler-death2.jpg

Rest in peace dear little Anthony Joseph.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

How did police figure out that his body was left Tuesday between 10:51 and 11:51 a.m? That is a very specific time. Just wondering how they got that.

I think it was his aunt that posted it on Facebook.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

i am first nation, so i know that child had huge extended family. It pisses me off, now they want $, how will a fancy funeral benefit this child now

i am first nation, so i know that child had huge extended family. It pisses me off, now they want $, how will a fancy funeral benefit this child now

From what I read, the $2500 they are requesting will help pay for that extended family get to the funeral.

yea, well i will watch an see how it goes. I am pretty sure there will be a lot more $ than that. Maybe she will donate the extra $

Waiting to hear who the two suspects are. I think the male has been known since yesterday but not sure about the female perp. Happy that we have a name now. RIP little Anthony Joseph.

Waiting to hear who the two suspects are. I think the male has been known since yesterday but not sure about the female perp. Happy that we have a name now. RIP little Anthony Joseph.

I went down the rabbit hole of facebook last night and people definitely knew who the male was almost as soon as the pictures were released - I looked at his facebook and had seen the little guy's adorable picture with the hat posted above and was so hoping they were wrong. I stopped reading but as of last night, there had been 2 or 3 women wrongfully outed as being the perp with their social media being posted and being called nasty names, etc. So nice to come back to websleuths!

I went down the rabbit hole of facebook last night and people definitely knew who the male was almost as soon as the pictures were released - I looked at his facebook and had seen the little guy's adorable picture with the hat posted above and was so hoping they were wrong. I stopped reading but as of last night, there had been 2 or 3 women wrongfully outed as being the perp with their social media being posted and being called nasty names, etc. So nice to come back to websleuths!

Yes, I saw that too. The baby's mother came out and said the baby was hers. The baby is First Nations. The mom is on the RIP Anthony Joseph Raine facebook page. I'm going to wait until the facts are officially released to find out who is who and who was involved in this horror.

Hi Everyone,

Please do not talk about fund raising or any pages.

Any donation site has to be approved by Websleuths management.

Since we have no way of knowing where any money is really going we will not be allowing any
fundraising posts.

Thank you,
Tricia

Hi Everyone,

Please do not talk about fund raising or any pages.

Any donation site has to be approved by Websleuths management.

Since we have no way of knowing where any money is really going we will not be allowing any
fundraising posts.

Thank you,
Tricia
Hi Tricia...If you're referring to my posts...Sorry!! Let me clarify...I have no intention of setting up any fundraising at all. Was just saying I would rather donate to something else that was set up than sending direct etrf to family.😊.

Yes, I saw that too. The baby's mother came out and said the baby was hers. The baby is First Nations. The mom is on the RIP Anthony Joseph Raine facebook page. I'm going to wait until the facts are officially released to find out who is who and who was involved in this horror.
I am missing something!! How did you know whose FB page to look at yesterday when police released the photo's. I always feel like I'm 2 steps behind! 😢

I am missing something!! How did you know whose FB page to look at yesterday when police released the photo's. I always feel like I'm 2 steps behind! ��

People were commenting on news article posts.

Ohhhh! I see! Thank you!☺️

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rsteen