Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my opinion, but even though FD'A appears to be a somewhat questionable character, I do not see any benefit to him as a result of the deaths of the Shermans. His indebtedness, would survive their deaths and I doubt he would looked forward to having to deal with Jonathan. Plus there is no evidence his warm and personal relationship with Barry was deteriorating.

I crossed him off my POI list.
Again, my opinion only.

When I read that BS missed F's annual Christmas party (lunch) on the fateful Wednesday, it seemed that BS was free and could have attended. I wondered why he didn't make an effort to go, or at least call F with his regrets. Was this an intentional snub that would have denoted a problem in their relationship?

FD'A said that BS called him from home late that night to apologize for not attending. That call suggests that FD'A could be the last person BS spoke to before he was killed. If BS was attacked as soon as he entered his home, how (and why) did he call FD'A?

FD'A said that he spoke to BS almost every day. He obviously didn't talk to him on Thursday or Friday before he left for his cottage. Do phone records show that he tried calling B? If he didn't, that could be significant.

It is possible, that after JS complained to BS about his unwise investments with FD'A, BS decided to be more careful in financing F's business ventures. He may have intended to drawn up a proper contract where F had to repay a current loan request, or he could have cut him off. He may have called in a previous loan for all we know, and put F in a dire situation. JS certainly suspected FD'A and F's mafia ties are disconcerting to say the least.

Is it possible that shady FD'A had tried to pull a fast one on BS? As F himself stated "If you hit Barry with a fly-swatter, he'd come back at you with a sledge-hammer." He added "That's what got him killed...".

I haven't taken FD'A off my list. jmo

When I read that BS missed F's annual Christmas party (lunch) on the fateful Wednesday, it seemed that BS was free and could have attended. I wondered why he didn't make an effort to go, or at least call F with his regrets. Was this an intentional snub that would have denoted a problem in their relationship?

FD'A said that BS called him from home late that night to apologize for not attending. That call suggests that FD'A could be the last person BS spoke to before he was killed. If BS was attacked as soon as he entered his home, how (and why) did he call FD'A?

FD'A said that he spoke to BS almost every day. He obviously didn't talk to him on Thursday or Friday before he left for his cottage. Do phone records show that he tried calling B? If he didn't, that could be significant.

It is possible, that after JS complained to BS about his unwise investments with FD'A, BS decided to be more careful in financing F's business ventures. He may have intended to drawn up a proper contract where F had to repay a current loan request, or he could have cut him off. He may have called in a previous loan for all we know, and put F in a dire situation. JS certainly suspected FD'A and F's mafia ties are disconcerting to say the least.

Is it possible that shady FD'A had tried to pull a fast one on BS? As F himself stated "If you hit Barry with a fly-swatter, he'd come back at you with a sledge-hammer." He added "That's what got him killed...".

My list is very short- just 3 names. FDA isn't one of them FWIW.

FDA's annual Christmas party was on the Tuesday, and BS couldn't attend because the meeting with the architects for the couple's new home was supposed to take place on that day. BS did let FDA know in advance. It so happened that the architect meeting was postponed until the following day (the Wednesday they were reportedly killed), but by that time, it was too late to go to the party. BS reportedly called FDA late on the Tuesday evening to apologize (presumably this time for not having had enough time to make it to the party even though the architect meeting ended up being postponed, and possibly to ask how it went). As per the book (which I assume is all we have to go on about this topic?)

From the book:
"The meeting with the architects for the new house had originally been scheduled for the day before, Tuesday, but had to be changed to accommodate everyone’s schedules. That had prevented Sherman’s annual attendance at Frank D’Angelo’s Christmas lunch on Tuesday. Sherman had told D’Angelo in advance that he would not make it, and when the Tuesday architects’ meeting was shifted to Wednesday, it was too late to get out to the lunch at Mamma D’s. He had apologized to D’Angelo Tuesday night by phone, saying he would be there next year for sure. D’Angelo recalls the late-night call from Barry. “He said he was sorry he couldn’t make it and I busted his balls for missing. He really liked those lunches.”"

Sorry to quote my post, but I forgot to add that Kevin Donovan feels that the killer(s) had to know the Sherman's comings and goings, and that they knew the couple would be home that Wednesday night. FD'A seems to know details about BS's routines that seem odd to me. For example, he knew that BS always parked his car at the front door and entered the front door (which makes one wonder why BS decided to park at the back, underground, and hidden from view on Wednesday). Of course if BS called him that night, he obviously knew that they were home. The more FD'A talks, the more my hinky meter rises.

ETA: Why did I think that FD'A's party was on the Wednesday? Thanks for the correction deugirtni. So I wonder if FD'A called BS on Wed., Thurs. and Fri.?

Last edited:

Hmm great points. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the McStay family case out of California, but I am getting very strong Chase Merritt vibes from FDA. The things he says, the business associate relationship, owing money, the gravy train may be coming to an end, just remind me so much of things the circumstances that lead to the death of the McStays.

Definitely on my list.

ADMIN NOTE:

Some TOS violations have been removed.

If you have sent a tip to LE, please do not discuss it on this public thread. We never know who is reading here and we aren't here to tip off a potential criminal.

Please do not post and discuss random blogs. (It seems the pharma blog that was linked to a couple of years ago slipped under our radar. Please do not discuss it.)

If you want to private message with someone, just do it but do not post about on the public thread.

Back on track, apologies and thanks to the mods.
A little surprised to see that the March edition of Reader's Digest included a story about the Sherman murders.
Inside the March 2020 Issue of Reader's Digest Canada
''Editors’ Choice
Who Murdered Barry and Honey Sherman?
When one of Canada’s wealthiest couples was found dead in their mansion, rumours swirled about hired hits, vengeful mobsters and fentanyl turf wars turned bloody. But what if it was someone they knew?''

Even now, the Shermans are contributing to important research!
Dec 4 2018 rbbm.
The Weizmann Institute of Science establishes the Dr. Barry Sherman Institute for Medicinal Chemistry - Weizmann Canada
''In an effort to advance basic research insights for the benefit of therapeutic discoveries, the Weizmann Institute of Science is establishing the Dr. Barry Sherman Institute for Medicinal Chemistry thanks to a major gift from the Sherman family.''

Heal the World: A New Weizmann Institute to Develop New Medicine
February 2, 2020 rbbm.

''As the new coronavirus is sickening thousands, killing many, and leading to widespread fear, a new study from the Weizmann Institute of Science may help offer an innovative solution to similar cases of animal viruses that infect humans.''
''Dr. Ron Diskin's research is supported by the Moross Integrated Cancer Center; the Dr. Barry Sherman Institute for Medicinal Chemistry; the Jeanne and Joseph Nissim Center for Life Sciences Research; and the estate of Emile Mimran.''

Even if FDA was having a falling out with BS, I believe he would end up financially in worse shape than if BS was dead. Maybe I am missing something, but I have trouble seeing any advantage to FDA of the Shermans deaths.

More mystery and intrigue regarding the appeal to the Supreme Court by KD for release of the Estate files.

It appears the Sherman Estate has been granted their earlier request to interview KD and after the completion of that interview the Court will determine if the Estate is allowed to introduce new evidence.

Supreme Court of Canada - SCC Case Information - Docket - 38695

2020-02-07 Order on motion to adduce new evidence, by Justice Rowe

2020-02-07 Order on miscellaneous motion, by Justice Rowe

2020-02-07 Decision on motion to adduce new evidence, Row, UPON APPLICATION by the respondent for an order to adduce new evidence;

AND UPON APPLICATION by the appellants for an order to cross-examine the respondent;

AND THE MATERIAL FILED having been read;

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:

1. The motion for leave to cross-examine the respondent is granted with costs in the cause.

2. The motion to adduce new evidence is adjourned pending completion of cross-examinations.

Adjourned, no order as to costs

Last edited:
https://www.thecourt.ca/scc-grants-leave-to-appeal-for-sealing-order-in-sherman-estate/
Feb 7 2020 rbbm.
by Stacey Blydorp
''There is little doubt that the highly publicized circumstances surrounding the Sherman Estate combined with the copious degree of wealth involved have played a role in the appeal process – both in the granting for leave and in each courts’ rationale. Sealing orders are certainty not a common legal test heard by Canada’s highest court. Though, it is also not every day that the courts are asked to rule on a sealing order motion involving an estate worth billions after its testators are murdered.''

'' What is confounding, however, is that the Supreme Court granted appeal in a decision that the Court of Appeal only used seven pages to pen. One may question whether the Supreme Court’s motivation is related to the facts and circumstances specifically or to seize the opportunity to clarify the legal test for sealing orders.''

''Ultimately, whether the judicial treatment that led this case all the way to the country’s highest court is a result of extreme privilege or just how the legal test plays out under rare circumstances is a matter of perception. One thing is for certain however, the average group of beneficiaries would not be in a position to front the requisite legal fees to get there. Fortunately for the sake of expanding jurisprudence, the Shermans are not average.''

i can't see this on FD'A......... just my opinion. FD'A is classic cell-phone, people person so he probably knows what all kinds of people are up to all the time.......

i wish i'd met him. i know his name from toronto business/newspaper etc......... one thing i wonder about a serial entrepeneur like FD'A, are they always taking lucrative fees, employment income etc. from everything they touch. i can think of two other toronto names that kill me on that (i.e. where are the investor's yachts?)

we can't comment on other blogs/message boards. but if you look around at people who knew the shermans or know the toronto scene well they seem to only point to one person, and it's not FD'A..... i will give the warning that they aren't basing this on much evidence at all. in fact, i think they are basing it off what is out there in the public domain (which isn't much) and in some cases knowing the main players. but in some cases, they have very strong opinions.

fentenyl turf wars?

i have often wondered if there's something we aren't seeing him............ drugs, foreign countries/banks etc....... i doubt it, but the whole edmond safra (first name?) thing in monte carlo made me wonder. of course, his entire empire was dealing discretely in very large financial transactions. barry s would not appear to be the same. more like selling generic drugs in canada/us and probably elsewhere.

old G&M article.. but i hadn't noticed this paragraph. i think the paragraph is included partially for the absurdity, but i hadn't seen the russian idea nor the hell's angels fentanyl

Stories circulated that Barry and Honey Sherman were killed for a new medical marijuana pill he’d formulated; by Israeli assassins in retaliation for corporate espionage; by a Russian hit squad upset with his movement into the Russian market; by Hells Angels who’d been stealing fentanyl from Apotex. There was even a conspiracy theory involving the Clintons.

It’s been a year since Barry and Honey Sherman were killed. There are so many questions. So few answers

doubt the hell's angels would kill a highly legit billionaire over drug stealing (when they were the thiefs)..

russia mafia doesn't care about stuff like that......... i'm curious on the expansion.

More mystery and intrigue regarding the appeal to the Supreme Court by KD for release of the Estate files.

It appears the Sherman Estate has been granted their earlier request to interview KD and after the completion of that interview the Court will determine if the Estate is allowed to introduce new evidence.

Supreme Court of Canada - SCC Case Information - Docket - 38695

2020-02-07 Order on motion to adduce new evidence, by Justice Rowe

2020-02-07 Order on miscellaneous motion, by Justice Rowe

2020-02-07 Decision on motion to adduce new evidence, Row, UPON APPLICATION by the respondent for an order to adduce new evidence;

AND UPON APPLICATION by the appellants for an order to cross-examine the respondent;

AND THE MATERIAL FILED having been read;

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:

1. The motion for leave to cross-examine the respondent is granted with costs in the cause.

2. The motion to adduce new evidence is adjourned pending completion of cross-examinations.

Adjourned, no order as to costs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I reading this correctly, has the Sherman estate gone to the Supreme Court, and received permission to cross examine Kevin Donevan? It is my understanding, the Estate had a judge initially seal the estate documents. KD went to a higher court to unseal the estate documents, which are generally available to the public. The higher court ruled to unseal them, then the Estate went to the Supreme Court to keep them sealed.

What I cannot fathom is why the Estate would want to cross-examine KD? The Estate is not conducting the investigation into the murders, the TPS is. What possibly could KD tell the Estate that would be relevant to the Estate in handling the affairs of the Shermans?

I thought the Estate wanted the estate documents sealed to protect the heirs, do they think KD knows something?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I reading this correctly, has the Sherman estate gone to the Supreme Court, and received permission to cross examine Kevin Donevan? It is my understanding, the Estate had a judge initially seal the estate documents. KD went to a higher court to unseal the estate documents, which are generally available to the public. The higher court ruled to unseal them, then the Estate went to the Supreme Court to keep them sealed.

What I cannot fathom is why the Estate would want to cross-examine KD? The Estate is not conducting the investigation into the murders, the TPS is. What possibly could KD tell the Estate that would be relevant to the Estate in handling the affairs of the Shermans?

I thought the Estate wanted the estate documents sealed to protect the heirs, do they think KD knows something?

I’m very curious what this about as well. You are correct in your recollect except the court only ruled to seal the files for two years with the option of extending. The stated reason was something about the Estate files being key to the investigation and non-release of details was to assist in providing safety and security to the beneficiaries who believed they might also be at risk.

Just a wild guess, the Estate hopes to obtain certain information that KD is aware of which in turn supports their reasons for sealing, supporting the “new evidence” the Estate intends to introduce. So yes I agree it sure appears the Estate believes KD knows something.

I can’t help but be reminded of a speculative comment when KD’s book was initially released....something about was one of KDs sources the killer? It wouldn’t totally surprise me, if a murderer had an opportunity to cloud an investigation by taking advantage of media opportunities in order to sway public opinion with the ultimate goal of tainting a jury, it’s probably not the first time it’s been tried. TPS and the family would know if any of it was total fabrication and if the information cast blame directly toward an innocent person, one might wonder as to motive. Most of KDs sources were anonymous. One thing I don’t know is if he could be compelled to reveal their actual names, assuming he had the means to verify their identity.

Regardless, KD sure seems to have placed himself within the inner circle of intrigue, intentionally or otherwise.

Last edited:
I’m very curious what this about as well. You are correct in your recollect except the court only ruled to seal the files for two years with the option of extending. The stated reason was something about the Estate files being key to the investigation and non-release of details was to assist in providing safety and security to the beneficiaries who believed they might also be at risk.

Just a wild guess, the Estate hopes to obtain certain information that KD is aware of which in turn supports their reasons for sealing, supporting the “new evidence” the Estate intends to introduce. So yes I agree it sure appears the Estate believes KD knows something.

I can’t help but be reminded of a speculative comment when KD’s book was initially released....something about was one of KDs sources the killer? It wouldn’t totally surprise me, if a murderer had an opportunity to cloud an investigation by taking advantage of media opportunities in order to sway public opinion with the ultimate goal of tainting a jury, it’s probably not the first time it’s been tried. TPS and the family would know if any of it was total fabrication and if the information cast blame directly toward an innocent person, one might wonder as to motive. Most of KDs sources were anonymous. One thing I don’t know is if he could be compelled to reveal their actual names, assuming he had the means to verify their identity.

Regardless, KD sure seems to have placed himself within the inner circle of intrigue, intentionally or otherwise.

View attachment 231039

(pg 122)

From Maclean’s (bbm):

“ It is the case that there is a lot of finger-pointing going on, as I report, where they initially blame Frank D’Angelo, then Jonathan says Jack Kay was involved. When Greenspan has written me, he says that my own sources, who I don’t identify, may be guilty as well. There’s a lot of finger-pointing.

Who killed Barry and Honey Sherman? A new book offers fascinating insights. - Macleans.ca

I can’t find it now, but Greenspan said some of KD’s information was ‘illegally obtained’ or words to that effect.

RBBM
Maybe there are mystery heirs we don’t yet know about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest