Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit off-topic, but it relates to KD and his credibility. The judge in the Ghomeshi case did not make an error: the first three complainants lied under oath/their statements in court greatly differed from their statements to the police. ( And media in LDC’s case)

“Justice William Horkins stated that the inconsistency and "outright deception" of the witness' testimony had irreparably weakened the prosecution's case.[56] "Each complainant," he wrote, "demonstrated, to some degree, a willingness to ignore their oath to tell the truth on more than one occasion." Referring to a witness' excuse that she was merely trying to "navigate" the proceeding, Horkins replied "'Navigating' this sort of proceeding is really quite simple: tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

Trial of Jian Ghomeshi - Wikipedia

Christie Blatchford: Let’s not hide the truth about Ghomeshi’s accusers

I’m not defending him, he has admitted to violence against women and validated the fourth complainant’s (Borel’s) accusations to a point. The Crown withdrew the charges in her case and he accepted a Peace Bond.

You can't cite Justice Williams Horkins as the authority that he was correct and didn't make an error. He's not God. He is not without fault.

Sexual assault victims are humiliated by the crimes committed against them and indeed there are almost always inconsistencies as being a victim is humiliating.

That case! Is Misty referring to the JG case?

Misty: "However I’m sure you’re aware a few years ago KD directly involved himself in SA allegations against another MSM employee, which indeed did result in criminal charges being laid. His sources appeared to be somewhat unreliable. He also wrote a book about it. The defendant was found not guilty."

I prefer to read of KD's reputation as listed below:

Quote the credits of Kevin Donovan: "Donovan is a veteran journalist with a solid reputation. He's won two Governor General's Awards for public service journalism, three National Newspaper Awards and three Canadian Association of Journalists Awards. His name has been tied to some big stories: most notably the Ornge air ambulance controversy and, of course, the Rob Ford crack video scandal.

The one KD theory I didn't accept was that the Sherman's were not victims of hired killers. Granted, the manner of their deaths was a classic example of a crime of passion, but that could have been the instructions from a sociopath.

InspectorLoneRanger --you allude to JS ordering the hits using Israeli soldiers, and then state that JS has refused to speak to police (re Lex's question about where he was when the Shermans were killed). Wouldn't one assume that if JS arranged the hits he would have an iron clad alibi for the time of the murders? That doesn't jive with your assertion that he has refused to speak with TPS.

According to the Toronto Star, Honey's maid told police detectives that Honey had made changes to her will three weeks before her and her husband were murdered.
For years Jon Sherman had tried to curtails Barry and Honey's spending and investing. Now Barry was intent on growing apotex, they were building a monster new home, Honey was giving money to her sister (who Jon Hated), and Barry was talking about leaving large amounts of money to charity. It was too much for Jon to take so he decided to act.

3 Weeks is a long time to plan a murder. The plan was to make it look like a Murder/Suicide and he almost succeeded.

This was a 2 or 3 person job. Jon knew that it was possible both Honey & Barry would come home at exactly the same time after the meeting with their architect. Given that possibility, Jon needed 2 people both comfortable with killing people. Jon assumed they'd both enter through the underground garage as it was snowing.
Honey parked upstairs and went in through the side door. She heard someone in the house which is why she tried to lock herself in the powder room she never used.
Barry was grabbed as soon as he walked in through the basement door.

Watch the video: What happened inside Barry and Honey Sherman’s home before they were murdered

<modsnip: Inside information stated as fact is not allowed unless you are a WS Verified Insider>

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the Toronto Star, Honey's maid told police detectives that Honey had made changes to her will three weeks before her and her husband were murdered.
For years Jon Sherman had tried to curtails Barry and Honey's spending and investing. Now Barry was intent on growing apotex, they were building a monster new home, Honey was giving money to her sister (who Jon Hated), and Barry was talking about leaving large amounts of money to charity. It was too much for Jon to take so he decided to act.

3 Weeks is a long time to plan a murder. The plan was to make it look like a Murder/Suicide and he almost succeeded.

This was a 2 or 3 person job. Jon knew that it was possible both Honey & Barry would come home at exactly the same time after the meeting with their architect. Given that possibility, Jon needed 2 people both comfortable with killing people. Jon assumed they'd both enter through the underground garage as it was snowing.
Honey parked upstairs and went in through the side door. She heard someone in the house which is why she tried to lock herself in the powder room she never used.

Watch the video: What happened inside Barry and Honey Sherman’s home before they were murdered

<modsnip: Inside information stated as fact is not allowed unless you are a WS Verified Insider>
I must say I enjoy your posts Inspector gadget. Can I ask if you know or knew JS at some point?

That case! Is Misty referring to the JG case?

Misty: "However I’m sure you’re aware a few years ago KD directly involved himself in SA allegations against another MSM employee, which indeed did result in criminal charges being laid. His sources appeared to be somewhat unreliable. He also wrote a book about it. The defendant was found not guilty."

I prefer to read of KD's reputation as listed below:

Quote the credits of Kevin Donovan: "Donovan is a veteran journalist with a solid reputation. He's won two Governor General's Awards for public service journalism, three National Newspaper Awards and three Canadian Association of Journalists Awards. His name has been tied to some big stories: most notably the Ornge air ambulance controversy and, of course, the Rob Ford crack video scandal.

Yes Lexiintoronto summarized it very well above. While KDs reporting of JG is not directly connected to this case, it’s a good reminder media reports/sources and trial testimony are not always one and the same.

The Jian Ghomeshi media circus may end up helping his case

BBM
Who killed Barry and Honey Sherman? A new book offers fascinating insights. - Macleans.ca

Q: What about the details of the police investigation itself?

A: What I found very interesting is that when I had a detective on the stand in court—we go back every six months, that’s the deal we have—he said, “I can’t answer on that because the will and estate is embedded in our police documents.” That raises a lot of interesting scenarios for me because when I’ve interviewed people about the will it doesn’t seem that other people are beneficiaries. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe that’s a key thing in the will that’s the answer. But the detective used the same word several times—it is imbedded throughout the ITO [authorization to obtain a search warrant]. To me that was a “Hey Martha” moment.

What I notice is KD writes what he’s been told by his sources but I’ve noticed nowhere that he insists he’s right about everything. He’s still seeking answers. Nor does he defend his sources or outrightly deny they might have a hidden agenda.

When Greenspan has written me, he says that my own sources, who I don’t identify, may be guilty as well.”

Last edited:

You still haven't answered my question. If JS was responsible, why did he go to such lengths to decry the murder / suicide theory that police were obviously working towards?

You still haven't answered my question. If JS was responsible, why did he go to such lengths to decry the murder / suicide theory that police were obviously working towards?

I think he wanted to stay out of jail and avoid the all you can eat non-kosher Weiner buffet. It's really other members of the family that have taken the big steps to decry the m/s theory. Crazy Jon has refused to speak with media and has refused to be questioned by police as has his ex-boyfriend Adam Paulin.

I may be wrong in my recollection but wasn’t it fairly widely reported that there were ligature marks on their necks, but It wasn’t confirmed whether it was the belts that they were strangled with? If so, would it not cast doubt on the statement that they were strangled with a soft item like an arm? Please correct me if I am incorrect in my recollection.
First quick link i could find, but there had been discussion/ links here about the strangulation prior to the body positioning with belts, iirc, imo, speculation..rbbm
New details in billionaire's murder
''Days later another pathologist hired by the family did a second autopsy and based on the evidence, he decided the Sherman's wrists had been bound by rope or plastic and they weren't strangled by the belts tied around their neck. They’d been strangled with something else.''

First quick link i could find, but there had been discussion/ links here about the strangulation prior to the body positioning with belts, iirc, imo, speculation..rbbm
''Days later another pathologist hired by the family did a second autopsy and based on the evidence, he decided the Sherman's wrists had been bound by rope or plastic and they weren't strangled by the belts tied around their neck. They’d been strangled with something else.''

Correct Dotr.

If you read KD book you'll also discern that the coroner that did the initial examination found that B/S & H/S hyoid bones were not broken. He was relatively inexperienced compared to the examiner for the second autopsy.

There is a rather long explanation for it so I suggest you either read the book or research it on google.

Initially, the police had been searching for something that could be used to strangle them without leaving marks, bruises, or breaking the hyoid bone.

Many here have read the book and researched and posted about the hyoid bone..

TeachMeAnatomy
Oct 29 2019
Barry and Honey Sherman: New book reveals troubled police probe into murder mystery
“The Billionaire Murders,” excerpts of which were published in the Star, also documents two autopsies performed on Barry Sherman’s body. The first, conducted by a pathologist with about seven years’ experience, found Barry Sherman’s death was a likely suicide because a tiny neck bone called the hyoid wasn’t snapped, long believed to be necessary to a determination of murder by strangulation.

But a second, privately hired pathologist concluded it was a targeted double murder. That finding was based on the pathologist’s previous research that showed that the hyoid doesn’t always snap during strangulation (in fact, Honey’s hyoid was not broken either), that Barry couldn’t have died by suicide in the position he was found, and that markings on the couple’s wrists showed they had both been bound at one point.''

Ws thread..
Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Last edited:
Many here have read the book and researched and posted about the hyoid bone..

TeachMeAnatomy
Oct 29 2019
Barry and Honey Sherman: New book reveals troubled police probe into murder mystery
“The Billionaire Murders,” excerpts of which were published in the Star, also documents two autopsies performed on Barry Sherman’s body. The first, conducted by a pathologist with about seven years’ experience, found Barry Sherman’s death was a likely suicide because a tiny neck bone called the hyoid wasn’t snapped, long believed to be necessary to a determination of murder by strangulation.

But a second, privately hired pathologist concluded it was a targeted double murder. That finding was based on the pathologist’s previous research that showed that the hyoid doesn’t always snap during strangulation (in fact, Honey’s hyoid was not broken either), that Barry couldn’t have died by suicide in the position he was found, and that markings on the couple’s wrists showed they had both been bound at one point.''

Ws thread..
Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Thank you Dotr.

Sorry, my comment was directed to Ldlager. I apologize for the confusion.

I think he wanted to stay out of jail and avoid the all you can eat non-kosher Weiner buffet. It's really other members of the family that have taken the big steps to decry the m/s theory. Crazy Jon has refused to speak with media and has refused to be questioned by police as has his ex-boyfriend Adam Paulin.

I question the accuracy of your source of information, that JS has refused to speak with police. Below is a public statement by Idsinga, Chief of Police. He had the option of saying police have a good relation with some of the Sherman family, some of them have been terrific, cooperative, etc or he could of said nothing at all. I think we can agree that JS is a member of the Sherman family?

Today, Idsinga spoke of the police being “in daily communication with members of the Sherman family” and that police “have a very good relation with them now.” He praised the family, saying they “have been terrific with us, very cooperative.”...”
Barry and Honey Sherman murders' newest twist: family and police join forces - Macleans.ca

I question the accuracy of your source of information, that JS has refused to speak with police. Below is a public statement by Idsinga, Chief of Police. He had the option of saying police have a good relation with some of the Sherman family, some of them have been terrific, cooperative, etc or he could of said nothing at all. I think we can agree that JS is a member of the Sherman family?

Today, Idsinga spoke of the police being “in daily communication with members of the Sherman family” and that police “have a very good relation with them now.” He praised the family, saying they “have been terrific with us, very cooperative.”...”
Barry and Honey Sherman murders' newest twist: family and police join forces - Macleans.ca

Misty his choice words appears very specific- he states they are in communication with”members” of the Sherman family. He could have said “the whole family” or “the family” but he didn’t. So one could infer that LE may not be in contact with ALL members of the family.
I do recall that in fact JS indicated that he intended to communicate with LE by sending them a copy of his answers to questions that KD raised with him. But I don’t think we know if he has ever spoken to or been interviewed by police.

Sorry, I am trying to access the Star article wherein it states that Honey's maid told police about the changes made to H's will 3 weeks before the murders, could you please provide that link. It was not at the link provided in the above-referenced post. I did find this article however, which states the Star is not disclosing who it was that disclosed this info to police:

“Honey and I were talking and she said meet me at Yonge and St. Clair Avenue. She said she was just coming from her lawyer’s office and she had just updated her will. She had done some amendments,” the confidant told the Star. “Honey said she wanted me to first go with her to Loblaws to get those frozen croissants from Ace Bakery that she liked, then we would go to her home.”

The Star has agreed not to identify the person — we will refer to the person as one of Honey’s service providers — due to the individual’s concern for safety. The person provided a regular service to Honey in her home for several years and the two had regular conversations during these times.

The service provider gave this information to the Toronto homicide squad shortly after the murders.

The conversation regarding Honey’s will that day came about because Honey had volunteered to pick up the service provider for the drive to the Sherman’s Old Colony Road home in North York, to save having to take public transit.

Honey Sherman ‘updated’ her will shortly before billionaire couple slain, confidant reveals - WWWHive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest