Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know, this lawsuit was for 20% of the value of Apotex, at least a billion dollars. Voluntarily giving a few million to vanity projects is one thing but as Apotex isn’t a publicly listed company, the cousins involved as Apotex shareholders or wanting to cash in would’ve created a humungous mess IMO.

If I were one of the Sherman children, whether or not I’d urge the Estate to proceed with legal collection action would depend on how much stress and anguish this lawsuit caused the parents during all those years. To represent their wishes, I’d make that decision and go from there.

I've heard numbers quoted in the 100 million dollar mark that Barry invested in Frank's failed projects, including movies, films, a brewery and even his home. That's not chump change. Probably one of the reasons JS was always so incensed over his father's refusal to fund some of his projects.

I've heard numbers quoted in the 100 million dollar mark that Barry invested in Frank's failed projects, including movies, films, a brewery and even his home. That's not chump change. Probably one of the reasons JS was always so incensed over his father's refusal to fund some of his projects.

Posted here in the past iirc, Barry was earlier prevented from proceeding to collect the $7million promissory note signed by KW until the cousins lawsuit was concluded.

The business affairs between Barry and FDA or/and the Estate are unrelated.

d

Posted here in the past iirc, Barry was earlier prevented from proceeding to collect the $7million promissory note signed by KW until the cousins lawsuit was concluded.

The business affairs between Barry and FDA or/and the Estate are unrelated.

I was referring to the fact that you characterized the funds Sherman fronted FDA as a 'few' million. He spent exponentially that amount on Frank's projects.

I hope not, for their sake. It seemed to be a peculiar aspect of Barry's personality that he pursued his nephews claims with such vigor considering how much money he burned funding FDA's vanity projects.

my 2 rolls of toilet paper:

The two don’t compare:

FDA was BS’s good friend and he liked to invest money into his projects. BS could afford to do so.
Vs.
A baseless $ 1 billion lawsuit that the Barkin/Winter side dragged on.

I was referring to the fact that you characterized the funds Sherman fronted FDA as a 'few' million. He spent exponentially that amount on Frank's projects.

I don’t think we know how many millions nor was the email KD referred to (but never saw) ever authenticated.

But going back to the beginning of FDA and Barry’s relationship, Barry entered with a defunct state-of-the-art fruit-concentrate plant and later, assumably sold the building after that particular venture with FDA proved nonviable. So how much did Barry lose on that deal....or did he make money on the sale? We don’t know that either so we can only speculate.

“The two men had met in the early 2000s. D’Angelo was in the juice trade, and he’d heard that Sherman owned a state-of-the-art fruit-concentrate plant he was planning to close down......

........Frank’s endeavors lost a lot of money, and when his company, D’Angelo Brands, filed for bankruptcy in 2007, it owed Sherman more than C$100 million. Sherman took control, installing his son to run the company.“
Who Killed the Billionaire Founder of a Generic Drug Empire?

Last edited:
my 2 rolls of toilet paper:

The two don’t compare:

FDA was BS’s good friend and he liked to invest money into his projects. BS could afford to do so.
Vs.
A baseless $ 1 billion lawsuit that the Barkin/Winter side dragged on.

Baseless or not, I wasn't referring to the veracity of the Winter's lawsuit, only that Barry had a novel way of agreeing to fund specific projects conjured up by FDA even though his track record was abysmal, yet he fought tooth and nail regarding his cousin's claim he had a 'fiduciary duty'. I think that's what rankled him more than anything else.

Baseless or not, I wasn't referring to the veracity of the Winter's lawsuit, only that Barry had a novel way of agreeing to fund specific projects conjured up by FDA even though his track record was abysmal, yet he fought tooth and nail regarding his cousin's claim he had a 'fiduciary duty'. I think that's what rankled him more than anything else.

It appears it was a ugly, bitter feud with the cousins indeed. This article was published in 2007.

Apotex founder hits hard in legal family feud
“A feud between Apotex Inc. founder Barry Sherman and a group of relatives has heated up with allegations of a murder plot surfacing in court filings and attempts by Mr. Sherman to seize houses belonging to family members.

The battle became public in January when a group of cousins sued Mr. Sherman for $1.5-billion, alleging he violated a 40-year-old agreement to give them a stake in Apotex, Canada's largest generic drug maker....

......He has filed a lawsuit to recover $8-million in loans to one cousin, Kerry Winter, and alleged in court filings that Mr. Winter once suggested Mr. Sherman hatched a plot to murder his uncle. Mr. Winter has denied that...”

I doubt there is any money to collect from the Winter's as I understand they did not have a lot of financial resources. Instead of suing Barry, they should have worked with Barry and come to some sort of reasonable agreement.

Remember, the Winters received 'in trust' the proceeds from the sale of Empire. It was a sizable amount at the time. It was the Trustee and the Guardians' responsibility to act in the best interest of the Winter's children.

Losing Barry Sherman as a client is going to negatively impact some lawyer's income in the future. Barry sure liked to sue people.

Nothing much is going to happen in this case, until the COVID crisis is resolved, we will have to be patient.

I doubt there is any money to collect from the Winter's as I understand they did not have a lot of financial resources. Instead of suing Barry, they should have worked with Barry and come to some sort of reasonable agreement.

Remember, the Winters received 'in trust' the proceeds from the sale of Empire. It was a sizable amount at the time. It was the Trustee and the Guardians' responsibility to act in the best interest of the Winter's children.

Losing Barry Sherman as a client is going to negatively impact some lawyer's income in the future. Barry sure liked to sue people.

Nothing much is going to happen in this case, until the COVID crisis is resolved, we will have to be patient.

He cost Canadians millions of dollars in legal fees fighting his cases. The suspect list just got longer.

Apotex Donates Hydroxychloroquine for a Clinical Study to Prevent Infection From Covid-19 With Front Line Health Care Workers
“Global interest in Hydroxychloroquine has surged with some governments already adding the product to their COVID-19 treatment protocols. Other countries are also considering the impact of this product, including the United States who requested that it be made available for use immediately.”

Cannot help but wonder all the ways BS and HS might have contributed to the world during this pandemic if they were still alive.
Hoping Apotex is not sold and that it stays right here in Canada, imo, rbbm.
Apotex to donate 240,000 doses of anti-malaria drug for COVID-19 trial - BNN Bloomberg
''On Thursday, U.S. Food and Drug Administration commissioner Stephen Hahn said he wants to begin clinical trials to investigate using hydroxychloroquine in COVID-19 treatment before approving it for wider use.

Apotex has doubled its domestic manufacturing output for hydroxychloroquine. The company could also work with local partners to increase global production if a treatment plan can be identified following the completion of the clinical trial, Watson said.

"We're moving quickly on other fronts on fulfilling demand with our supply chain and we wanted to make sure we're able to support the trial and help with the placebo as well," Watson said.

"The time frame has really been so short and we're moving quickly."

An Apotex spokesperson said that the company is also trying to obtain as much personal protective equipment for its staff as it can to operate in a compliant manner
. However, its vendor has implemented a strict allocation program for its customers.''

Thank you for that WINDSOR .... and I agree .

I happen to like KW and hope the best for him and his family .... but what nags at me is that even though BS underwrote their projects and lifestyle for millions of dollars they appear to be very lacking in net assets once BS called in the loans.

And to threaten BS with a lawsuit was like throwing a raw steak at a Pitbull

In fairness I think what Kerry really wanted to find out was if Royal Trust & guardians & BS properly followed his parents original estate plan .... Royal T. was not immediately forthcoming ..... so they had to get lawyers .... and lawyers smelling big money probably said "sue for a billion" .

Thank you for that WINDSOR .... and I agree .

I happen to like KW and hope the best for him and his family .... but what nags at me is that even though BS underwrote their projects and lifestyle for millions of dollars they appear to be very lacking in net assets once BS called in the loans.

And to threaten BS with a lawsuit was like throwing a raw steak at a Pitbull

In fairness I think what Kerry really wanted to find out was if Royal Trust & guardians & BS properly followed his parents original estate plan .... Royal T. was not immediately forthcoming ..... so they had to get lawyers .... and lawyers smelling big money probably said "sue for a billion" .

and Thank You Arnie M, for this summary of my thoughts, as well!! I too 'like' KW and looked forward to reading his posts ... what a great 'verified insider' to have on this case!! Best to KW and family

I have started thinking about the perpetrator(s). I wonder if they achieved what they desired with the deaths of Barry and Honey. No doubt the perp(s) started out with a expectation that the deaths would result in some sort of benefit, either tangible, like money, or intangible, like emotional relief.

However as we all know, that actions have unintended consequences. I am pretty sure the perp(s) had no idea that the Toronto Star and Kevin Donovan would be so tenacious in keeping the media focus on the case, with the result that the Supreme Court of Canada would be involved.

With the media, the police, political and public's attention is still focused on the unsolved crime many months later, I doubt the perp(s) had expected that result.

As we all know money rarely provides real satisfaction, and if the crime was committed for something like money, the perp(s) have not really benefited. How much money does someone really need, especially after the first few million? If the crime was based on some intangible, like emotional relief, or revenge, or freedom of action, I believe the perp(s) have replaced one set of chains on there lives with another even heavier set.

The best thing the perp(s) could do now, is hire a good lawyer and and confess to the Police. Their emotional woes would be over, and finally they would be really free. With the COVID pandemic, there would be less media attention now. Now is the perp(s) opportunity.

well I guess some good news is that the guilt party/parties, if in Canada, may be restricted from travelling outside the country.... well at least into the USA that is! You can still fly half way around the world, but you can't apparently drive cross the US border!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member