CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW..
Abnormal gait: Types, causes, and diagnosis
''Abnormal gait is categorized as one of five types based on the symptoms or appearance of an individual’s walk. They are:
  1. spastic gait
  2. scissors gait
  3. steppage gait
  4. waddling gait
  5. propulsive gait
Spastic gait
Spastic gait occurs when a person drags his or her feet while walking. This type can also make someone appear to be very stiff when walking.

Scissors gait
A person whose legs bend inward will often have a scissors gait. With this type, a person’s legs cross and may hit each other while walking. The crisscross motion may resemble scissors opening and closing.

Steppage gait
Steppage gait occurs when a person’s toes point towards the ground while walking. Often, the toes will scrape against the ground as the person steps forward.

Waddling gait
As the name suggests, a person with a waddling gait moves from side to side when walking. Waddling involves taking short steps as well as swinging the body.

Propulsive gait
Propulsive gait is when a person walks with his or her head and neck pushed forward. It can appear as though the person is rigidly holding a slouched position.

In addition to these five types, a person with a limp is also considered to have an abnormal gait. Similarly to other abnormalities, a limp may be either temporary or permanent. A limp may also clear up without medical intervention''

Has anyone contacted the "Ministry of Silly Walks"? ..... Monty Python

My thoughts are, if someone is counting on being able to escape detection because they are a stranger to the victims, and will be leaving the country, why the elaborate staging? It seems so unnecessary. IMO, the super-elaborate staging of the scene implies the main strategy to avoid detection was to try to convince police it was M-S.

JMO

I was thinking about this, and yes it is a little complicated to drag them down by the pool, but maybe they didn't feel that a closet hanging would be that effective? There are really no good alternatives to staging a murder suicide without one of the victims owning a gun of their own, because you have to leave it behind. Poison or pills would be hard to fake, so that really only leaves hanging.

Either way I'm not convinced that this was a professional hitman. Agree that a gun would've been much simpler, and if they were really that good, they wouldn't have to worry about things being traced back to them.

My guess is this "suspect" with a strange walk left the country immediately! Probably being protected by the mob and will never be found. I pray and hope I'm wrong, but that's my best guess. No one in their right mind would stick around after doing this, and if it was a hired hit, the hit man could be dead now too!
Ugh...I watch to many crime shows..

Yes, that is possible.

Wonder what kind of surcharge there is, if you want a hit staged...

Good question. It would likely depend upon the complexity, the risk, and also the success of the outcome. In this case it did not play out too well, but the killer might have already been payed in full by the time it became evident that the police were not buying the murder suicide. I imagine the risk of going into such a rich, well protected neighbourhood, and the importance of the victims would also be factors that would make it more expensive than a simple head shot, and making a quick get away. I have a feeling that the person who ordered this hit could pay for the best, but maybe was not experienced enough to really find the best assassins. IMO

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-honey-sherman-muders-police-update-1.6284912

In the latest news report the police are trying to identify an individual walking in the neighborhood, with a strange gait. Does anyone know if the police have tried to identify his clothes or footwear and see if it fits with the type of exterior wear someone in such an expensive neighborhood might wear or that it is so inexpensive that they definitely do not belong here and if so.........

. Does anyone know if the police have tried to identify his clothes or footwear and see if it fits with the type of exterior wear someone in such an expensive neighborhood might wear or that it is so inexpensive that they definitely do not belong here and if so.........
They used all the resources they could to enhance the video, including the FBI. IMO, they'd want to identify, for eg, a distinctive type of hat, as a clue to identifying the person. But no success.

Also, they have apparently ruled out the person being associated with any home in the neighbourhood - not through their appearance, but by interviewing homeowners.

Though as for that, if the person has been traced walking to the Sherman's from somewhere outside the nighbourhood, then walking away again to somewhere, outside the neighbourhood, then clearly they don't live/belong there.

My question is how far did they trace them coming from and going to. At some point, the trail went cold: perhaps footage from a crucial area was no longer available.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-honey-sherman-muders-police-update-1.6284912

In the latest news report the police are trying to identify an individual walking in the neighborhood, with a strange gait. Does anyone know if the police have tried to identify his clothes or footwear and see if it fits with the type of exterior wear someone in such an expensive neighborhood might wear or that it is so inexpensive that they definitely do not belong here and if so.........
Just seems to me that the individual in the video has very heavy boots to be walking in a neighborhood with streets that are already plowed and is wearing very heavy clothes for such a light snowfall. If the weather was worse early on , around the time of the murders, might explain the heavy outerwear. If someone from the neighborhood was just out for an evening walk I doubt they would be wearing such clothing especially if it was for a long healthy walk.

My guess is this "suspect" with a strange walk left the country immediately! Probably being protected by the mob and will never be found. I pray and hope I'm wrong, but that's my best guess. No one in their right mind would stick around after doing this, and if it was a hired hit, the hit man could be dead now too!
Ugh...I watch to many crime shows..
For an individual with a "strange walk" , seems to know how to walk in heavy snow boots and clothing. Like they are used to being dressed in such a way. Maybe not from the neighborhood but definitely from an area that such attire is common wear.

I wonder if someone close to them was already waiting in the house (sitting on the bed and perversely picking out the belt to do "the kill" with) and had help.

If the killer had help (the muscle) to physically restrain them, maybe a two man job. Muscle to get them down to the pool and make sure the killer isn't over powered. Then the person with vendetta actually taunts and kills them.

They might've parted ways , guy in video is walking away while the other who's familiar with the family/house maybe stuck around longer to do any clean up/staging or whatever.

Been here since the beginning but really haven’t posted much, if at all.

This new information is interesting and after reading a transcript of the Presser I think LE are looking hard at this “suspect” but this can’t be new info to LE.

Could it really have taken 4 years to determine that this guy may be “in play? If so, I find that very concerning in relation to the TPS investigation.

I’d love to know if this video capture was BEFORE or AFTER the murder. The calmness is unsettling if this is the murderer. Just on a walk. No hurry. Enjoying the evening.

Again, if this is the killer, this would add another layer to the theory that this was a contracted hit. Calm, not running away, just wandering along. Just doing a “job”.

I can’t help but think that following the money is the key here. I think we are all on the same page with that. If Barry is gone AND Honey, the money flows in several directions. If Honey survives, the buck stop with her.

The positioning of the bodies leads me to believe a personal link to the killer is key.

Just as an aside, I know people have wondered why he was wearing boots when the sidewalks were shovelled. I think it was quite cold that night. I’d be wearing winter boots too.

MOO

by Tyler Dawson rbbm.
Video released of suspect with distinctive gait in Barry and Honey Sherman murders | National Post

Suspect_Barry_Sherman_edit.gif

''Four years after Honey and Barry Sherman were found strangled by the pool in their Toronto mansion, a break in the investigation could now hinge on whether or not anyone recognizes the distinctive walk of a person who’s a suspect in the shocking double murder''

''The use of gait analysis in criminal investigations, says Michael Nirenberg, a “forensic podiatrist,” dates back to the 1830s, and has been used a number of times in American courts through the 20th century.''

“What was once an almost accidental source of evidence has become a routine forensic option for some law enforcement agencies,” Nirenberg writes in the book Forensic Gait Analysis: Principles and Practice.

From his initial look at the footage — 22 seconds of the suspect, who appears to be wearing a hip-length jacket, striding along a cleared sidewalk on a snowy night — Nirenberg said he can see distinctiveness in the swing of the suspect’s arm and the tilt of the head. A gait analyst, he explained, would build a head-to-toe profile of the way a suspect walks, in order to link them to footage of a perpetrator.''

“I’ll tell you what’s good in this case … this footage is good footage,” Nirenberg said.

Though to the layman the distinctive walk may be difficult to discern from the video, Price said the suspect’s walk shows they “kick up with their right foot with every step.”

''Why just have a few investigators looking at the footage when millions of eyes could be doing so?''

“Forensic gait analysis has been presented and accepted as a solution to a current problem — identifying people who are disguised or partially obscured in the ever-expanding number of images related to criminal acts,” says an article in the Journal of Law and Criminology''

I wonder if someone close to them was already waiting in the house (sitting on the bed and perversely picking out the belt to do "the kill" with) and had help.

If the killer had help (the muscle) to physically restrain them, maybe a two man job. Muscle to get them down to the pool and make sure the killer isn't over powered. Then the person with vendetta actually taunts and kills them.

They might've parted ways , guy in video is walking away while the other who's familiar with the family/house maybe stuck around longer to do any clean up/staging or whatever.

I have always wondered if one or more of the killers may have arrived and/or left hidden in a vehicle driven close to the house, or maybe right into the driveway or garage by someone who routinely worked in the house, or who came there for some kind of appointment, medical, or real estate related. Just speculating. IMO

Wow! How far can you stretch the definition of “Suspect” before it becomes a crime?

Wow! How far can you stretch the definition of “Suspect” before it becomes a crime?
Police release video footage of suspect in murder of Barry and Honey Sherman
rbbm.
'When asked why it took four years to release this video, Price said the police service is constantly trying to balance public interest with the integrity of the investigation.

"The investigative considerations were that the cost to the investigation by releasing this early on would have outweighed the benefit of releasing it early on," he said.''

"So we undertook these investigative steps, exhaustive investigative steps, to identify this individual, and now having gotten to the point where we have not been able to do so with these videos, this is now the prudent time to release this to the public and seek the public's assistance."

''Price confirmed that investigators are not ruling out the possibility that there is more than one suspect involved in the murders.''
maybe an attempt to bump a new payment from the family. Progress is being made!!

Update:
According to the news the video was taken 1 km from the Sherman home. He said the name of the street but I couldn't quite catch it..
Police release video of suspect in murders of Toronto billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman
Also the direction the individual is walking past 62 Bannatyne would indicate they are walking towards the route that would take them to Old Colony Rd. not away from, unless they took the long way around Heathcote Ave. This would double the length and time if they were leaving the murder scene at the Sherman's.

Update:
According to the news the video was taken 1 km from the Sherman home. He said the name of the street but I couldn't quite catch it..
Police release video of suspect in murders of Toronto billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman
Also the direction the individual is walking past 62 Bannatyne would indicate they are walking towards the route that would take them to Old Colony Rd. not away from, unless they took the long way around Heathcote Ave. This would double the length and time if they were leaving the murder scene at the Sherman's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!