CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM

I went on google streetview, located the home with the hydrant, and then virtually drove in the direction the suspect came from in the video, ie the hydrant side of the driveway. The first cross street I come to is Vyner/Dunlace, in the direction of Old Colony. I haven't tried following the potential routes further. IMO we can't assume this person would have followed the recommended google maps route...
I think we need to enlist the mapping services of @otto .. to draw us a potential travel-direction map for those of us (not alluding to anyone other than myself here) who are geographically disabled.

RSBM

I went on google streetview, located the home with the hydrant, and then virtually drove in the direction the suspect came from in the video, ie the hydrant side of the driveway. The first cross street I come to is Vyner/Dunlace, in the direction of Old Colony. I haven't tried following the potential routes further. IMO we can't assume this person would have followed the recommended google maps route...

ah so I am backward, when I look at the overview map of the area's streets I see Vyner is north of the non-residential/park, hiking trails area that we are considering "he" did not take as a cut through and it is north of the camera at 62 B. I did not get on the "road" like you did. Thank you for the correction of my direction and accuracy. i am going to try what you did sounds interesting.

According to KD, he says the suspect is walking 'away' from the S home.... so presumably that would be 'after' the murders... ?? FYI, this article appears to NOT be paywalled.

With help from neighbours and friends of the Shermans, the Star has identified the place where the video was captured. It was recorded by a home security system on Bannatyne Drive, 1.3 kilometres to the west of Old Colony Road. Looking at the video, the Star has determined the person is walking southeast on Bannatyne, away from the Sherman home. It is snowing and the person passes a fire hydrant that police used to estimate his height and keeps going southeast. Eventually, Bannatyne intersects with Leslie Street. The Sherman home on Old Colony is to the west, close to Bayview Avenue.

From Bannatyne, there are numerous ways the person could leave the neighbourhood, including walking out to Leslie.

.... The Star noted to Price that one year ago in December 2020, he had released a statement saying police had numerous unnamed “persons of interest,”.... The Star asked Price if investigators had compared this image to all of those people to see [if] they could exclude them by their height and walk characteristics.

Price said he could not exclude anybody with 100 per cent certainty, because even if a person was ruled out as the person in the video, that person could have been involved in some way.

....Because police had seized video from a home on Old Colony Road with a camera that picked up the Sherman driveway — the one where police waited three days to seize the footage — that likely means that the oddly gaited person did not approach the Sherman property from Old Colony Road. Had he done so, the neighbours’ camera would have captured the image.

The Star asked if this meant their suspect instead crossed through a backyard to get access to the Sherman home, and Price responded: “I’m not going to get into what exactly we see this individual doing when it comes to (the Sherman home) itself.”

The inside story of how Toronto police zeroed in the Sherman murder ‘suspect’ with the odd gait

I think we need to enlist the mapping services of @otto .. to draw us a potential travel-direction map for those of us (not alluding to anyone other than myself here) who are geographically disabled.
I'm no mapper, this is the best I can do.

The blue direction arrow on the map reflects the direction the photo is looking towards. Old Colony is highlighted. Hopefully makes sense.

20211215_101438.jpg

So how much more would it cost to hire a hit man with a flair for setting a scene?

One would not expect such a 'sophisticated' killer to look like a version of WM's character in Grumpy Old Men, imo, speculation.

IMDb
Grumpy Old Men (1993) - IMDb

Anatomy of a Metro Vancouver hit: Imported hit men, kill kits, guns and fast cars | Vancouver Sun
May 2021 rbbm.
''There are no Craigslist postings for contract killers.

Higher-level crime groups go through middlemen who find people to take contracts that can pay up to several hundred thousand dollars. Mid-level gangs often use drug-trafficking connections to recruit for murders.''

''Cash is not the only method of payment — one source said younger “hitmen are paid in watches, chains, diamond-encrusted jewelry valued and appraised at $25,000, $50,000, $75,000 or $100K.”

Communication is only done using encrypted communication devices and phone apps that can’t be monitored.

Sometimes young inmates in pretrial jails without money or family support are groomed for future acts of violence by gangs who put cash into their canteen funds''.

''Out-of-province hitters are more challenging to identify “because they’re not known to the members of the police community in this jurisdiction,” Byrne said.''

''Those hunting for targets conduct surveillance in several ways — they will have workers tasked with finding people on the hit list. The hunting crew will drive around following GPS trackers that have been placed on target vehicles they’ve identified.

“Then they use free Wi-Fi hot zones to monitor the tracking and look for patterns,” one source said.''

''Byrne, the VPD superintendent, said the killer and his associates may park stolen vehicles in several different neighbourhoods before a murder, then decide in the aftermath of the shooting which parked car to drive to.

“I think targeting someone to murder them is a very fluid operation. And they’re going to make a whole bunch of contingency plans.”

Thank you Lexiintoronto!

1st some are discussing the direction of the person walking as to or from Old Colony (OC), I am not sure how you can tell, OC runs East-West and Bannatyne runs North-South (ish)

2nd to be walking on the side of the road with fire hydrants if it were on the way to OC in the early evening (between 6-8pm) hours I think we would see some other activity people in the background, it would be snowing more heavily etc. If this is after the murders it is late evening and heading North on Bannatyne to be recorded at 62 walking in a northerly direction would mean they accessed Bannatyne from the south like Beaverhall Dr. (not using paths to get to Forest Heights /Vyner - they bring you out well north of this camera 62 Bannatyne drive.) This is a longer route - Old Colony east to Harrison, south to Vernham or Heathcote, then north on Fannigton or Banbury, then east on Beaverhall to Bannatyne!

Lexiintoronto, understanding the area does this route make any sense to you?

thanks
BP

YW. I worked in the Sheppard/Leslie area for years, but I’m not familiar with the residential part where the Shermans lived, so you could be right about the route.

KD seems to believe the suspect entered from the back of the property, maybe from Forest Heights Blvd. This image is from google maps with the google suggested route. I marked in red the the back access that KD suggested:
658BF971-BBEC-4AB8-9C8D-C101B37F5961.jpeg

BBM:

‘The Star, with help from neighbours in the area and friends of the Shermans, has identified the place where the video was captured. It was recorded by a home security system on Bannatyne Drive, 1.3 kilometres to the west of Old Colony Road. Looking at the video, the Star has determined the person is walking southeast on Bannatyne, away from the Sherman home. It is snowing and the person passes a fire hydrant that police used to estimate his height and keeps going southeast. Eventually, Bannatyne intersects with Leslie Street. The Sherman home on Old Colony is to the west, close to Bayview Avenue.

From Bannatyne, there are numerous ways the person could leave the neighbourhood, including walking out to Leslie.’
Subscribe to The Star Digital Access | The Star

KD believes the suspect is walking away from the home. The police believe the Shermans were murdered anywhere between 9pm - midnight, so maybe this video is from around 12:00 am-12:20 am (?)

I looked at the streets and route you mentioned—but I’d need to map it out to understand it (can you possibly map it?).

I imagine they were aware of being caught on cctv. Maybe they had a different coat on when leaving the Shermans? Turned it inside out, or dumped an overcoat? Maybe that’s why they took an indirect route.

RSBM

ah so I am backward, when I look at the overview map of the area's streets I see Vyner is north of the non-residential/park, hiking trails area that we are considering "he" did not take as a cut through and it is north of the camera at 62 B. I did not get on the "road" like you did. Thank you for the correction of my direction and accuracy. i am going to try what you did.

excuse this if it is a double post, I thought I posted but it is still here greyed out?

Hmm, interesting, had never thought of that one.
I almost immediately thought of someone being involved, who worked in the house, or came there on a regular basis, because it is highly probable that to pull off these murders, and have lots of time to do it, the killers had to have up to date information on Barry and Honey's busy schedules, and know about others who might be in the house at any time. I also suspect that these killers did not work without a "look out" of some kind to make sure there were no surprises with unexpected visitors. IMO

If you go to the YouTube page and view the video there, check out a comment by a MK. It's about 6 comments from the top. He has a detailed theory of the Walking Man's route that night.
Also, you can choose your video speed if you want to slow it down.

Here's the link to the Toronto Police Service YouTube account

Thanks, I did read the comments, one states we have the wrong house that it is 59 not 62, and an odd # that would be the opposite side of the street? and the perp is walking southbound

YW. I worked in the Sheppard/Leslie area for years, but I’m not familiar with the residential part where the Shermans lived, so you could be right about the route.

KD seems to believe the suspect entered from the back of the property, maybe from Forest Heights Blvd. This image is from google maps with the google suggested route. I marked in red the the back access that KD suggested:
View attachment 326575

BBM:

‘The Star, with help from neighbours in the area and friends of the Shermans, has identified the place where the video was captured. It was recorded by a home security system on Bannatyne Drive, 1.3 kilometres to the west of Old Colony Road. Looking at the video, the Star has determined the person is walking southeast on Bannatyne, away from the Sherman home. It is snowing and the person passes a fire hydrant that police used to estimate his height and keeps going southeast. Eventually, Bannatyne intersects with Leslie Street. The Sherman home on Old Colony is to the west, close to Bayview Avenue.

From Bannatyne, there are numerous ways the person could leave the neighbourhood, including walking out to Leslie.’
Subscribe to The Star Digital Access | The Star

KD believes the suspect is walking away from the home. The police believe the Shermans were murdered anywhere between 9pm - midnight, so maybe this video is from around 12:00 am-12:20 am (?)

I looked at the streets and route you mentioned—but I’d need to map it out to understand it (can you possibly map it?).

I imagine they were aware of being caught on cctv. Maybe they had a different coat on when leaving the Shermans? Turned it inside out, or dumped an overcoat? Maybe that’s why they took an indirect route.

Thanks again, sorry I am not that gifted to set up a map and mark it up, wish I was.

I would be surprised that the perp would use back yards to walk through, there I would expect neighbors to have motion detecting lights.

Also to take Forest Heights Blvd as a walking route I think would be very odd, they do not have sidewalks on either side of the road, you would need to walk on the road.

Makes one think where were they headed, if they went north toward Forest Heights, then across east to end up heading south on Bannatyne, why did they not just go south on Harrison and cut over to Bannatyne the intersection south of the #59/62 viewing, did they disappear from videos between 59/62 B and Beaverhall drive?

To me that is really far away, more than a KM, I am curious if this route means anything at all, or the perp needed to destress and take a long walk in the cold air or just wanted to create more confusion.

The more people mention military or special ops training that makes sense to me, the person walks with confidence and has a consistent cadence.

Now we wish we could see the same camera views from earlier that day, did they walk past on the way to OC? if this was the route to a getaway vehicle? If the gait/walk is that distinctive it should be obvious even if they are dressed in different clothing on the way to 50 OC.

After watching the suspect video footage a number of times, l’m quite convinced it’s staged and NOT authentic CCTV camera footage.
Watch it closely and pay attention to lighting and watch other evening cctv.

BP, like Gomes is a terrible actor. This entire charade is laughable and the cover-up continues.
My only hope is that this cover-up’s exposed and history will tell the sad tale of a lonely, miserable billionaire who was losing his mind….. ended up killing his wife and committing suicide. Laying by the indoor pool for days without contact from friends nor family.

After watching the suspect video footage a number of times, l’m quite convinced it’s staged and NOT authentic CCTV camera footage.

BP, like Gomes is a terrible actor. This entire charade is laughable and the cover-up continues.
My only hope is that this cover-up’s exposed and history will tell the sad tale of a lonely, miserable billionaire who was losing his mind….. ended up killing his wife and committing suicide. Laying by the indoor pool for days without contact from friends nor family.

wow, that's quite the leap. Considering they just unleashed it with the media and its all over Facebook, I'm going with it being genuine and not a fake.

Why might it be thought that B was lonely and miserable? He seemed to have many friends, a few close relationships, an occupation which allowed him to spend his time doing what he loved, a social life, and everything and anything money could buy. Even IF his relationship with H wasn't fabulous, lonely isn't a word I would associate with him? But it seemed like B had long ago learned the age-old motto of 'happy wife, happy life', as by all accounts, it seemed B would allow H to have her way, even if/when he disagreed. imo.

Not sure, but it is possible this version of the actual footage has been enhanced (ie brightened/lightened?) by TPS before broadcasting it to the public, to allow the best possible picture to help with ID?

KW, just curious.. is it to your advantage somehow that these murders instead be thought of as a murder/suicide? I can understand that you may have hatred towards B, but either way, the man is dead. Why not let the cards fall where they may? To date, those cards are seeking a killer of two. Isn't it the same, either way, to you personally?

Last edited:
I think if the video of the suspect had been staged, it wouldn't be such a boring video of a muffled up person walking down a street.

He'd either be wearing a black leather suit, a gun visibly emerging from a holster, or maybe skulking and darting between trees in a trench coat and fedora, glacing nervously behind him and biting his nails. (Depending on how the director read the part).

Last edited:
I think that the person on the video is absolutely the killer. I think he was hired by someone who stood to gain financially or otherwise from their deaths but who also had a bone to pick with Barry. I think perhaps he entered the house from the backyard. JMO...

If all this is true, how do we identify this person based on this video?

Just as an aside... height has nothing to do with having strength to overpower someone. You can be on the shorter side and be as strong or stronger than someone who is taller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finch5800