Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But have any heads/owners of those other companies been murdered? I say "follow the money"
In the link of Federal Court cases, Apotex company I think was being sued or suing others 10 or 11 times through this year and maybe 1 listed for 2019 (lost count). Some were for trademark infringement etc. If the Sherman's murders were to send a message could it be to other drug companies?
Yes there are other pharmaceutical companies suing one another. But Apotex sure was involved in a lot of them JMO
Pharma seems to be a BIG business JMOr

Most of the other companies are public. Those execs don’t have enough skin in the game to resort to murder, in my opinion.

As a private company, shareholders likely aren’t able to sell their shares without first offering them to other shareholders or the company first. It’s not easy to liquidate.

We have no idea who holds the shares, or will, once the estates are probated, assuming BS and HS held at least the majority.

We have no idea who holds the shares, or will, once the estates are probated, assuming BS and HS held at least the majority.

I’m sure they controlled the majority of voting shares, legally or beneficially.

I don’t see your point. Are you disputing what I said about the liquidity of shares in private companies? I was responding to a suggestion that a shareholder might be trying to liquidate.

Probate would not be required if they did a second will for private shares.

Most of the other companies are public. Those execs don’t have enough skin in the game to resort to murder, in my opinion.

Just my opinion but killers murder for all types of reasons and for a lot less. How much would an executive of a major drug company make I wonder? (If they were getting the sack there goes that income). Who owed money to BS or HS and how much? Who was being sued? Were there any reputations or whatever on the line if lawsuits were won by BS/Apotex? Whose" toes were being stepped on"? Lots of reasons and #1 who hated either or both of them enough to resort to this horrible murder?
BS was a very powerful man it seems. Alll JMO and wondering out loud:thinking:

Just my opinion but killers murder for all types of reasons and for a lot less. How much would an executive of a major drug company make I wonder? (If they were getting the sack there goes that income). Who owed money to BS or HS and how much? Who was being sued? Were there any reputations or whatever on the line if lawsuits were won by BS/Apotex? Whose" toes were being stepped on"? Lots of reasons and #1 who hated either or both of them enough to resort to this horrible murder?
BS was a very powerful man it seems. Alll JMO and wondering out loud:thinking:

A top 5 executive gets a massive severance when fired, they’ve been well paid for years and likely have a couple of million in share equity. Unless they have committed fraud, they land on their feet. Even crappy execs are taken care of. I can’t think of any instances where an executive of a public company has been driven to murder due to setbacks and conflicts in the ordinary course of business.

It’s not like a private company where someone’s wealth and ability to earn is much more closely tied to the company.

JD’s house was owned or mortgaged by Apotex; I am certain he wouldn’t get a generous severance package like we see with listed companies. Knowing BS likely the opposite. Compared to his counterparts with bigger companies, someone like JD is much more vulnerable.

I’m sure they controlled the majority of voting shares, legally or beneficially.

I don’t see your point. Are you disputing what I said about the liquidity of shares in private companies? I was responding to a suggestion that a shareholder might be trying to liquidate.

Probate would not be required if they did a second will for private shares.

One will or two, how can a will avoid probate, and why would you want to?
Can't one look up the structure of any company at the registry office?

Hmm. You would think that people like the Sherman's would have been surrounded by servants and security guards. It's really preplexing that whoever commited this crime was able to make their way in and out of the 12000 sq foot home without leaving a trace of their presence.

I am hopeful that with all the evidence collected that there is some DNA amoung it. Whether it was on HS as a result of her struggle with the killer or killers or on BS or in the house somewhere.

The 'lock box' that could solve billionaire Canadian Jewish couple's mystery murder

But the case shocked the country after police confirmed their bodies were found with belts tightened tautly around their necks, reclining in a semi-seated position from a metal bar on their knees at their home’s lower-level indoor pool.

There was also evidence that their hands had at one point been bound.
https://www.thejc.com/news/world/th...adian-jewish-couple-s-murder-mystery-1.457591

(respectfully bolded by me)

We haven't heard anything about them being "on their knees" so some of this information might not be correct.

Wealthy people often have two or more wills. The Primary Will addresses those assets that are subject to probate (bank accounts, investment accounts, vehicles, antiques and jewellery as well as any real properties that are not held jointly) while a Secondary Will addresses assets that are not subject to probate such as shares of private corporations. In some cases there are third and fourth wills depending upon the assets owned by the deceased. The amount of "probate tax" is only calculated on those assets dealt with in the Primary Will.

Do not confuse "ESTATE TAX" (I.E. the probate filing fee) with Capital Gains Tax which is payable by the estate upon the filing of the final tax return and takes into account any capital gains from the date of acquisition of the asset to the date of death. That is a completely different matter.

Multiple wills are part of succession planning. Presumably the deceased leaves certain assets like shares in a private corporation to a named beneficiary, like a spouse or child. Generally speaking, spouses leave their assets to each other...which is why, IMO, it was necessary to have both Shermans die simultaneously. The manner of their death will have sent a very clear message to the beneficiaries to play nice with their shares.

For those who are worried about life insurance, the proceeds are paid directly to beneficiaries and are not considered estate assets unless the estate is the named beneficiary.

Probate can take some time but I note that an Application for a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee can be filed with an estimated value of the assets contained in the Primary Will in order to expedite the process, which will be complicated given the size of these estates and the simultaneous deaths.

Whew...how is that for a crash course in multiple wills?

Follow the big money...

Shabbos Goy hitmen IMO

Wealthy people often have two or more wills. The Primary Will addresses those assets that are subject to probate (bank accounts, investment accounts, vehicles, antiques and jewellery as well as any real properties that are not held jointly) while a Secondary Will addresses assets that are not subject to probate such as shares of private corporations. In some cases there are third and fourth wills depending upon the assets owned by the deceased. The amount of "probate tax" is only calculated on those assets dealt with in the Primary Will.

Do not confuse "ESTATE TAX" (I.E. the probate filing fee) with Capital Gains Tax which is payable by the estate upon the filing of the final tax return and takes into account any capital gains from the date of acquisition of the asset to the date of death. That is a completely different matter.

Multiple wills are part of succession planning. Presumably the deceased leaves certain assets like shares in a private corporation to a named beneficiary, like a spouse or child. Generally speaking, spouses leave their assets to each other...which is why, IMO, it was necessary to have both Shermans die simultaneously. The manner of their death will have sent a very clear message to the beneficiaries to play nice with their shares.

For those who are worried about life insurance, the proceeds are paid directly to beneficiaries and are not considered estate assets unless the estate is the named beneficiary.

Probate can take some time but I note that an Application for a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee can be filed with an estimated value of the assets contained in the Primary Will in order to expedite the process, which will be complicated given the size of these estates and the simultaneous deaths.

Whew...how is that for a crash course in multiple wills?

Follow the big money...

Shabbos Goy hitmen IMO

Rbbm.
Interesting, had to look that one up!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbos_goy
A Shabbos goy, Shabbat goy or Shabbes goy (Yiddish: שבת גוי, shabbos goy Modern Hebrew: גוי של שבת goy shel shabat) is a non-Jew who performs certain types of work (melakha) which Jewish religious law (halakha) prohibits the Jew from doing on the Sabbath. The phrase is a combination of the word "Shabbos" (שבת) meaning the Sabbath, and goy, which literally means "a nation" but colloquially means a "non-Jew" (in Biblical Hebrew "goy" means simply "a nation", but in Mishnaic Hebrew it is used in the sense of "a non-national", i.e., "a non-Jew").

Judaism prohibits Jews from doing certain types of work, known as melakha, on the Sabbath. Within certain guidelines (see Shulkhan Arukh), a non-Jew may perform certain acts which are beneficial to Jews but which may not be performed by Jews on the Sabbath

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/176072/gangsters-on-yom-kippur?src=longreads
[h=1]Why Gangsters Who Broke Every Law Still Went to Services on Yom Kippur[/h] [h=2]They stole. They murdered. But many Jewish mobsters still saw religious observance as an integral part of their identity.

[/h] By Robert Rockaway

October 2, 2014

Hmm. You would think that people like the Sherman's would have been surrounded by servants and security guards. It's really preplexing that whoever commited this crime was able to make their way in and out of the 12000 sq foot home without leaving a trace of their presence.

For people who are extremely wealthy or high profile, it does not necessarily follow that they want or feel the need to be surrounded by household help or security. I do understand they had household staff and news reports mention there was security (a system, in the least), the details of which are unknown to the public, as they should be*. However, cameras on all the time within the home (if installed, apart from the ones media has stated were in the pool area, disconnection of which could have been by the Sherman's own choice re: privacy) and security staff or help around all the time? If you have a high profile status, pots and pots of money, maybe you would want this and maybe you would not. Some wealthy individuals live very low-key lives and to meet some of these people, the statement "you would never know they had money," wouldn't be uncommon. Which is what some of their Florida neighbours said and other news reports have described as well.
rbbm

"A neighbour in Florida, Mikhail Pikover, told the Star that the couple was very quiet and nice, but only came to their place there twice a year. The Shermans weren’t conversation starters, he said, and they liked to keep to themselves. He said the pair didn’t flaunt their wealth, and seemed to live a simple life."

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/12/28/the-house-honey-and-barry-sherman-would-have-built.html

"Though fabulously wealthy, the couple didn’t live like billionaires.
They flew economy. Mr. Sherman drove a beat-up old car. And although they owned a grand house with a tennis court and two pools, it was modest compared with many even on their tree-lined, country-style street in the city’s north end.

The one way they showed their wealth was philanthropy.

The couple gave hundreds of millions of dollars to hospitals, universities, political parties and charities. They were fixtures of Toronto’s fund-raising event circuit. Mrs. Sherman in particular was known as someone who didn’t like to say no to a call for help."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/17/world/canada/barry-sherman-death.html

* security in this neighbourhood surely included patrol by security companies. A popular security company used in Toronto, in this type of neighbourhood, is http://avantesecurity.com/. This company does regular neighbourhood patrols; their presence is apparent. Even if this was not the security company used by the Shermans, neighbours who used it would have had patrols. I am aware that both TPS and the private investigation by the family have already gathered footage and intel from neighbours. They'll find something.

“It's also hard to speculate what anyone would gain financially with the murder of the Sherman's. Apotex will still go on with or without BS.” (sorry, lost the exact quote link)

It’s not that hard. Obviously no one can be ruled out at this time. But, that the cousins are behind this? The cousins have been slugging it out for years. Anything is possible of course.

Even though Apotex is going to carry on, who was the bulldog that took on every lawsuit (not just the cousins’ suits) and was inured to them? Who was the founder of the company? Who has been passionate, savvy and strategic (understatement) his entire career? Who may have had a hand in the hiring of now exited CEO Jeremy Desai (JD) – JD who conspired to and did steal drug formulations/patents with his girlfriend? (How many others at the company may have also accomplished the same task, condoned and secretly praiseworthy, not dismissal-worthy? This of course is MOO, purely speculation based on how some corporations work, i.e. one brings or obtains secrets, has valuable connections. I can ONLY imagine how it works in the pharmaceutical business. Even when there is a high standard of ethics that most people will follow, there are always the few who do not and are willing to take risks.) If he didn’t have a hand in the hiring, it seems certain he had a say in stay or go and we see how that turned out now for JD. Drug and patent secrets – same or similar drug being manufactured with variations but just as effective? Growth, expansion, innovation, future products, future earnings.

It’s early days. Time will tell with the investigation.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...er-barry-sherman-was-absolutely-singular.html

That NYTimes article mentions a lawsuit against Mr. Sherman by his cousins that go thrown out of court. That sounds interesting.

Hmmm what was done on the Sabbath? How does that pertain to this case? BS did business/lent money to non-Jewish people and worked with a lot of races in his business affairs.
True!
My post was in response to the " Shabbos Goy Hitmen " comment which caught my interest, simply providing links that hopefully would be of some interest too!

Jan 31 2018 rbbm
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/business-rivalry-behind-billionaire-shermans-murder
Business rivalries behind billionaire Shermans' murder?
Inconsistencies obtained from leaked police files now indicate their corpses were moved.

According to an insider close to the investigation, the family’s private investigators discovered signs that both victims’ were hogtied together at one time.
What’s more, the investigators believe the way the couple was choked to death is inconsistent with the manner in which the bodies were hanged.

They believe the husband, 75, and wife, 70, were more likely strangled with the belts, which were then tied to the railing to create the appearance of a hanging.
Honey’s face was also covered with cuts — and when investigators examined bloodstains on her clothing, they concluded her body was lying face down for some time before it was hanged.

“This was no suicide pact,” the source said. “Barry had enemies — and this is their grisly handiwork.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay