Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed all Jews worshipped God until I met Barry Sherman. Because Barry didn't believe in God, did this couple participate in the practices and the traditions of the Jewish people who do worship Jehovah or did they separate themselves from it? Did they attend a synogogue? Wouldn't Christmas be meaningless for them?

Christmas is meaningless to all Jews. They celebrate Hannukah not Christmas. Just because someone says they don't believe in God doesn't mean the family feels the same or they don't follow traditions like Passover, Hannukah, etc. Worship Jehovah? Jews follow the Old Testament. They don't follow the New Testament.

I just came across this article that was posted by The Globe and Mail which doesn't present a rosy picture of Barry and Honey’s relationship. Maybe after the couple met with the architect, Barry realized he didn’t want a future with his wife and snapped? People often hide what goes on behind closed doors or in a person's mind. There's alot of secrets. And Honey was killed elsewhere and her body was moved to the pool area. No signs of forced entry.

“They complemented each other, yet had clashing personalities.”

Friends close to the couple describe signs of discord in the Sherman's marriage, such as public ribbing about Barry's devotion to work, but they viewed it as shtick.

Interviews with friends, court records, Barry's memoirs and public tributes at the couple's memorial Thursday paint a portrait of two people with outsized personalities who were polar opposites.

When Barry lost his father when he was 10, he did not recall a great sense of turmoil. His detached, rational side was also evident while he was in the military reserves, where he would argue aggressively with a chaplain who preached Christianity.

In court cases, he was unyielding and combative. His judicial disputes embroiled a motley cast of people who crossed his path – relatives, contractors, business rivals.

At their parent’s memorial service, Jonathan hinted that in remarks that hinted that Barry and Honey weren't always on the same wavelength.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...-honey-sherman-apotex-deaths/article37424109/

This article was written a week after the bodies were found. The police already said it was a double homicide based on the physical evidence.

Many couples have opposite personalities which complement each other. And many couples rib each other with friends. Hardly a smoking gun to murder suicide. Again, no signs of forced entry means anything. There was a realtor's lock and it is easy to knock on the door and HS lets someone in.
I am not sure why people are going down this road of murder suicide again when the police and all the leaks say otherwise.

It’s his money. He owned shares and sold them and used the cash.

if you own shares of McDonalds and sell them, the cash is your asset. It doesn’t trace to McDonalds.

As as long as his dealings with the sale of Empire were on the up and up, there isn’t really an issue.

The family lived a very Jewish life. Not sure if BS was just giving lip service or what, either for/against G_d.

The son did remove his yarmulka while speaking of his father, however.

BS was a vocal atheist but I suspect based on some early articles HS was at least nominally observant and possibly raised the kids to be somewhat observant even if only nominally (Hebrew school, bar mitzvah, etc). JMO

That’s a huge leap. There are plenty of kids who grow up with loving parents and fail or are useless. You have no evidence that the adoptive parents weren’t not loving And at 15 he was doing drugs and kicked out of school. Perhaps the adoptive parents tried to correct him and he, like most teenagers, rebelled and left. You are awfully sympathetic to an admitted liar who blames everyone else and fails to take responsibility.

Btw, I have been in a similar situation so info understand and I think you are projecting

JMO

A huge leap? One son is bi-polar, another died from drugs, another left home at 15 and was a drug addict. It speaks for itself. Mother made a big mistake handing them over to these two. End of story.

It's acknowledged that Barry had many enemies but that isn't to say he deserved to be murdered. It's not victim bashing to look at how he may have contributed to having enemies.
Thank-you Tortoise for highlighting that Webseluths has TOS Rules against victim bashing. The agreement states that :tos: stipulate that we are to use the icon to alert mods if that rule is broken. That way the mods are not forever using :thewhip: & giving warnings.
:cow:

I think it stinks that some are making judgement on BS not handing these ingrates 20% of his business, just because he was the unlucky one whose offer to purchase Empire was chosen over the other offer when the trustees SOLD it on the open market. He should've just started his own company right then, instead of having the monkey of those 2 options on his back. The real problem is that the elder Winter never bothered to think ahead to look after his family by figuring out what would happen to his company in the event of his early demise, and how his kids would be taken care of.

Imagine if BS had NOT made an offer to purchase Empire, and the sale had instead gone through to the Montreal bidder. Would that bidder have had to sign an 'options' clause to look after the previous owner's kids several years into the future? I think not!

Empire was for sale on the open market, and just because BS happened to have a close personal relationship with the deceased, he became beholden to the 2 options. Meanwhile, he had to borrow money to buy it, and had his OWN intelligence with which to run such a business, which had zero to do with the orphans or his deceased uncle. It seems Empire actually required some brains to run the biz successfully - it had lost 20% of its annual revenues when run by the trustees before selling, but yet they chose NOT to allow BS to run it when he had offered to do so. Later it was listed on the open market, when BS paid MORE than the competitor. BS wasn't given any breaks or 'deals' because of his personal relationship with the deceased, he bought it fair and square, in fact paying MORE than the competitor was willing to pay.

Why should BS have been penalized like that? Without BS's offer, the other firm would have been the buyer for less money, and without such stipulations. That seems unfair right off the bat.

BS and his partner turned the company around to double its revenues within a few short years, attracting another company to want to buy it. They got an offer too good to pass up, and so they sold it to them. And along with the sale, went the 'options' requirement for the orphans. The orphans were still young at the time, so there was no question they hadn't met the requirements of the options.. and for all BS knew at the time, the orphans had been adopted into a loving family, as I don't believe he had contact with them at that time.

It was okay for the trustees/executors to make a business decision to sell the company they had been entrusted to look after... but it wasn't okay for BS to do the same with the company he paid for? The trustees got off the hook from being responsible for the orphans' future windfall, but BS was supposed to keep that obligation forever, even when he sold the company and no longer had anything to do with it? All because he happened to know the dead guy?

Who says any of the kids would have worked there in the first place, nevermind having been able to stick it out for minimum 2 years as 'responsible fulltime employees'? And wasn't it 5% per each orphan of the 'issued shares' - how many shares were 'issued', and what was the purchase price of the shares, and would the orphans have even have wanted to spend any money they had on making such a purchase by the time they met the requirements? At age 15 it seems KW started getting into trouble - and what would have been different if BS had not sold Empire? KW's and his brothers' issues don't seem to have anything to do with who owned Empire. BS selling or not selling, wasn't going to impact the family lives of the orphans, how they were being raised by their new family, their genes, or etc.

I got the impression that after selling Empire, BS remained on as an employee, but then was fired after 6 months. It was only then that BS made the decision to start up his own company, from scratch. He was good at it, and on it went to become what it became.

One way or another, at one time or another, by one party or another, Empire sold and no longer had anything to do with the orphans. The orphans presumably would have received the proceeds of the sale of Empire when the trustees sold it, the monies which BS paid for it, just as they would've received the proceeds from any other buyer, and that would've been it. But later, BS was said to have been like a 'bank' to the orphans, with KW's 'allowance' alone being up to $20,000/week at one point. He funded their businesses, bailed them out of trouble, tried to get them help when needed, bought them properties, funded their unsecured loans.

BS *was* being generous with them, even though not obligated to be, until the orphans got greedy and started thinking they were entitled to even more. Too bad for them that they didn't just continue to enjoy having a sugar daddy and become productive business owners, each in their individually chosen fields, with benefit of a great business mentor, instead of getting greedy, spending probably hundreds of thousands on legal fees dragging whoever they could through the courts, for years, trying to get more, and losing out on the generosity afforded them by one of Canada's wealthiest men. How many courts and judges will it take until they accept that their entitlement ended decades ago? Do they have any regrets in how they handled themselves? Did they already get their revenge?
[FONT=&quot] “For me it isn’t about shekels, it’s about revenge!” [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/[/FONT]
Goodman remembers being Sherman’s boss after his employer at the time, California-based ICN Pharmaceuticals, bought Empire from Sherman in the early 1970s. After about six months, he was ordered to fire Sherman and reluctantly did so.

“I fired him. He would tell me later that was the best thing that ever happened to him,” said Goodman. “He says, ‘Don’t worry about it, Morris, I was planning to quit anyhow.’ And he started Apotex (in 1974).

[FONT=&quot]https://www.thestar.com/business/20...r-barry-sherman-will-be-tough-to-replace.html[/FONT]

Excellent points. One note. AFAIK the options was only made for the first purchase offer which was declined. A couple of years later BS went back after the company was for sale with a partner and I don’t believe the options were part of the final sale contract.

KW indicated that LE Asked him if he would submit to a polygraph, which he evidently refused. It seems to me that he would have also spouted off to the press about being asked to provide a DNA sample if LE had asked him. If one assumes they didnt ask him if he was willing to submit one, can we
then assume that LE have found no DNA at the scene that doesn’t belong to bs, Hs, or other individuals already identified?

KW indicated that LE Asked him if he would submit to a polygraph, which he evidently refused. It seems to me that he would have also spouted off to the press about being asked to provide a DNA sample if LE had asked him. If one assumes they didnt ask him if he was willing to submit one, can we
then assume that LE have found no DNA at the scene that doesn’t belong to bs, Hs, or other individuals already identified?

I doubt it. LE didn't even bother to interview KW, let alone ask for DNA samples, at least during the first 6 weeks after the murders.

I think that’s too simplistic.

He didn't sell Empire to start Apotex. We don’t know that he used exclusively those funds or any of them.

He worked as as an employee for 6 months, and it seems like Apotex was incorporated about two years after the sale. He likely commingled his Empire money with any other assets he had at the time. We don’t really know how Apotex was capitalized. To conclude it was on a direct line from the share sale is speculative and not supported by the timeline.

One of the articles above mentioned BS PhD dissertation led to his first patent, which in aeronautical engineering can be quite lucrative. It would also explain how he knew his way around patent loopholes.

A huge leap? One son is bi-polar, another died from drugs, another left home at 15 and was a drug addict. It speaks for itself. Mother made a big mistake handing them over to these two. End of story.

Yes a huge leap. I grew up in a family with very similar circumstances and all of the kids were successful and led normal lives. Contrarily, my husbands family had two married devoted parents. My husband turned out fine but his sister is a narcissistic entitled brat. It doesn’t speak for itself at all and you were not part of the family so you are projecting IMO. Not end of story.

I doubt it. LE didn't even bother to interview KW, let alone ask for DNA samples, at least during the first 6 weeks after the murders.

Deugirtni can you please clarify your answer, I am not sure what you mean. Thank you.

Yes a huge leap. I grew up in a family with very similar circumstances and all of the kids were successful and led normal lives. Contrarily, my husbands family had two married devoted parents. My husband turned out fine but his sister is a narcissistic entitled brat. It doesn’t speak for itself at all and you were not part of the family so you are projecting IMO. Not end of story.

And YOU are not projecting? Unbelievable. These three boys were harmed. MOO

And YOU are not projecting? Unbelievable. These three boys were harmed. MOO

I’m not unequivocally stating they would be better off with both parents. You are. They harmed themselves, or did you know the adopted parents?

I can’t find it right now but it was a passing reference. On my way to church. Will look again this afternoon.

I’m not unequivocally stating they would be better off with both parents. You are. They harmed themselves, or did you know the adopted parents?

It's so easy to pass judgement on these boys when you haven't been in their situation.

Everyone is sympathetic to the orphans, as they should be - afterall, they lost both parents at a very young age and had to spend the rest of their childhoods being raised by people who apparently weren't loving. But BS also suffered loss when LW died. Up until a few years before his death, BS was slated to be LW's heir. LW was a father figure to BS since he was a teenager. Suddenly LW had 4 kids. After LW grooming BS to become involved in the pharma industry, BS was left out in the cold when LW died.

BS was only a young guy, age 18 when LW adopted his first child, and 22 when LW's last child was born. He was 25 when LW died. Suddenly he was out of the picture. He offered to RUN the company (not to buy it as some have reported, at least according to the 2008 in-depth article), upholding its value for the orphans, in return for the right to purchase it IF the company should come up for sale. He made this offer to BW, who made no decision prior to her death days later, and then made the same offer to the trustees, who declined, saying they would run the company. So BS went off to complete graduate school in the US. When he returned a couple of years later, he found that Empire had lost 20% of its sales under the direction of the trustees, and so made a comment to them about possible future litigation by the 'orphans'. A week later the trustees put the business for sale on the open market.

Not only was BS not given a better price, due to his personal relationship he had held with its deceased owner, he paid MORE for it than the other bidder who was not at all related. And not only was he allowed to then purchase it, but there were stipulations for these 2 'options', which would NOT have been able to be effected had Empire's sale gone through to the other bidder. Because of BS's relationship with LW, he was actually penalized. If that were me, I have to admit, I would be p!$$ed!

He went on to double the company's original sales (before the trustees had demolished 20%), and then sold it - an offer too good to pass up, and remained as an employee, *until* they fired him 6 months later. What's the guy going to do? Go get a job somewhere else? Start his own business in the field he's experienced in? Or do something totally different just so the orphans can't come after him for profits he makes on his totally separate, unrelated company? Just seems bizarre to me. Also seems to me like Beverly Winter cut off her kids' noses to spite their faces, and was their worst enemy, both by not allowing her own brother, who presumably may have actually *loved* the boys, to adopt her FOUR children, but also by being so suspicious of a friend and relative who actually cared about the business, was experienced, had been taken under her husband's wing to learn some things, and who was incredibly smart. Seems to me like BW had some serious trust issues, and perhaps also some greed issues (her brother had said he felt she didn't want him to get what was hers.) But... jmo!

Barry attended Lou’s funeral, then visited Beverley in the hospital, where they talked about what might happen to Empire and the children’s future interests. He said that if she and the executors wished, he would take over the business and protect its value for the benefit of the children. In return, they would have to grant him the right to purchase the company if it came up for sale. Beverley discussed the idea but made no decision. Seventeen days later, she was dead.
Three days after her death, Barry made the same proposal to trustees of the Winter estate. They said no, that they would continue to run the business. And so the children’s legacy—Empire Labs and a trust fund—remained in the hands of two lawyers, an accountant and Royal Trust.
Barry returned to school and completed his PhD. His dissertation led to his first patent, a system to control satellites in orbit. He was a young man with great prospects when he abandoned astronautical engineering to seek an opportunity in a scientific business, the one he knew best, and returned to Toronto early in 1967. He looked into Empire’s performance—either out of concern for Lou’s sons or a personal desire to buy the company on the cheap—and reported to the trustees that sales had declined from more than $1 million a year in 1965 to about $800,000. He suggested that Lou’s children might some day hold Royal Trust liable for negligence if it didn’t keep Empire from insolvency.
Within a week, the trustees had put the company up for sale. Sherman and Joel Ulster, a high school friend, bought it for approximately $350,000, beating out a Montreal firm. Sherman’s mother, Sara, guaranteed a loan of $100,000 and Ulster put up $150,000 borrowed from his father, who also arranged for an operating line of credit. Two options were added to protect the Orphan Children—the phrase that the surviving sons, now in their late 40s, still use to describe themselves. The first states that all of Lou Winter’s sons would be given the opportunity to become “responsible full-time employees” once they turned 21 or completed their formal education. Second, any employed child who worked two years with the company would “have the right to purchase five per cent of the issued shares of the company or companies owning the purchased business.” However, the option could be exercised only if Sherman, Ulster or Ulster’s father kept control of the business.
Those were promising years for generic drug companies. Empire’s annual sales, now including the generic psycho*pharmaceuticals Librium and Stelazine, reached almost $2 million. Then, in 1972, ICN Pharmaceuticals expressed an interest in buying Empire and merging it with their Canadian operations. Sherman and Ulster, ambivalent at first, decided to let ICN evaluate their company. When the offer came in at just under $2 million, they took it, netting a few hundred thousand each. ICN made it a condition of sale that none of the principal shareholders in Empire could go back into the same business for five years. Fortunately for Barry, his shares were held by Bernard C. Sherman Limited. ICN must not have noticed the loophole. When Sherman launched Apotex the following year, ICN didn’t exercise its non-compete clause.
Business boomed, thanks to a combination of lucky timing and entrepreneurial savvy. Barry started with 5,000 square feet, employed two people and made only compressed tablets. He selected about a dozen established products with an eye to getting them to market quickly, then sold them cheaply by mail order and telemarketing. Further changes in the law during the Trudeau years allowed greater scope and removed some advantages of brand name companies. By the ’90s, there were a dozen generic drug companies in Canada. Apotex was the biggest.
Kerry and Tim claim their father’s company made Barry’s success possible. But with the sale of Empire, they lost any interest they might have had in it. Or did they? They maintain that without Empire there could be no Apotex, therefore Barry has a legal obligation to hand over five per cent of his present assets to each of Lou’s sons or heirs. That’s what he promised when he bought Empire Labs.
They claim that Barry sold it to weasel out of his commitment to them.
[FONT=&quot]https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/[/FONT]

Before she died, Beverley Winter left instructions that her children not be adopted by any relatives. Her brother, Wayne Rockcliffe, still wonders why she didn’t choose him and his wife. At that time they had no children. They were willing to move into the Winter home and send the boys to Upper Canada College. But Beverley, a convert to Judaism, wanted her sons to be raised as Jews. Rockcliffe thinks that his sister “just didn’t want us to have what was hers. What a shame that was!”
https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/

Deugirtni can you please clarify your answer, I am not sure what you mean. Thank you.

You said: KW indicated that LE Asked him if he would submit to a polygraph, which he evidently refused. It seems to me that he would have also spouted off to the press about being asked to provide a DNA sample if LE had asked him. If one assumes they didnt ask him if he was willing to submit one, can we then assume that LE have found no DNA at the scene that doesn’t belong to bs, Hs, or other individuals already identified?

I said.. I doubt that LE has asked for DNA, and I doubt we can speculate that no DNA was found at the scene based on not asking for DNA, since... at least up to minimum 6 weeks post-murders, they had not even bothered to interview KW, who seems like he would've been one of the first ones that should have been interviewed, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyfullyU