CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of Ben being on Global tv talking about the church arsons and justice, and wondering if he thought he'd go have a little Sunday chat with the guy who was charged with the arsons.
Everyone in the community was upset about the arson. Ben was only at NR for 2 months when the church was burned and happened to be one of the people interviewed at the time—I didn’t hear he was spokesperson. My understanding was that he was cattle boss as opposed to ranch boss.

I"d like to know as to what his personal past is like? Had he been to BC in the past? Had he made connections with people prior to moving here? Did he have an X? Was he dating? Was he social? Was he the type that liked to go to the pub for drinks?
I'm unable to answer any of your questions even though I think
I've read much of the msm articles and followed on facebook
sites. I've wondered these things also.

I"d like to know as to what his personal past is like? Had he been to BC in the past? Had he made connections with people prior to moving here? Did he have an X? Was he dating? Was he social? Was he the type that liked to go to the pub for drinks?
Seems to me that he lives the true cowboy life, traveling a lot, even to other countries, to experience what he can. Perhaps this job appeared on a search for him and seemed like a good opportunity..and then he pursued it and obtained it.

With that kind of life, I'm guessing he doesn't have many personal relationships, unless a significant other was able and willing to travel with him everywhere.

He has his dog, his horse and his adventurous life. Hopefully still present tense. JMO

Last edited:
This is very unlikely.

NR has 1000's of acres of private and crown land they graze cattle on; and also has a number of cowcamps, besides the homeranch. I will try to find the landmass as many people seem to be interested in this ... it may help to recognize that it's not a small outfit and there's a lot of land to get acquainted with. NR is the 2nd largest cattle outfit in the Nicola Valley (DLR being the largest & running 20,000 head).

Great! Tysm. I’ve had problems finding much info about NR.
Is anyone searching today?

Everyone in the community was upset about the arson. Ben was only at NR for 2 months when the church was burned and happened to be one of the people interviewed at the time—I didn’t hear he was spokesperson. My understanding was that he was cattle boss as opposed to ranch boss.
I don't think anyone said he was the spokesperson; but as a manager he would be the likely spokesperson for the ranch, and the ranch office is right across from the church.

So along with the laid off hay workers, the Gen. Mgr. for Ranch
was also losing his job last year (2017) due to cash flow problems
at the ranch.
So then BT is hired early fall 2018. I see his job called "Cattle Mgr", don't know if there is a ranch general mgr. now.
Wondering now about BT being hired into the middle of a bee's
nest of problems at the ranch. What happened to the last
"cattle manager" ? did he quit, fired, laid off?

Bradner R Farms assumes haying operation at Nicola Ranch - Merritt Herald

the former GM was with NR for about 20 years. Has moved on to WA Ranches @ U of C

I think it's two separate positions. The ranch manager that was canned was involved in the farming/hay business, so when the new company took over, their company's manager would take over that aspect of the job. Ben was the cattle manager, so he wouldn't be involved in the hay operation.
There's no where that says the former GM was terminated from his position (was with NR for about 20 years).

There are articles referring to him at the Cattle Manager and the Ranch Manager...he may have been hired as both, who knows as there's no official press release.

Just to provide you with some information about the reins and a few other things...

Most western horseman, especially those who ride “working” horses, ride with “split” reins that are not one continous loop and the reins are NOT tied together in a knot. The reins are connected to the bit via a water loop, which is a separate piece of leather. A leather “fuse”, similar to a shoe lace, is used to connect the water loop to the rein.

Heavy Oiled 3/4" X 8' Water Loop Reins

The reins are used this way for a reason. If something goes wrong, like a horse getting tangled in a rein or pulling back, the fuse will break instead of the expensive leather rein. Most sets of reins I own cost over $100 per pair, yet a fuse is less than $1. I carry spare fuses in my saddle bag and trailer.

It may have been thought that someone else had dropped Ben and his horse off elsewhere because it was initially reported that his truck and trailer were in his driveway at home. Depending on the size of the ranch, terrain, weather, etc. it is sometimes easy to haul into more remote locations, and then ride out from where you leave your rig. It sounds like Ben rode out from home, as no one has stepped up to say they dropped he and the horse elsewhere.

Another thing to keep in mind is that horses are prey animals, which means they have two options for survival, either fight or flight. Most horses would rather flee than fight. I am sure Ben’s horse is a typical ranch horse- well broke, steady, fit and strong. Think of the horse as the cowboy’s means to do his job, like an IT person relies on a computer monitor and keyboard. Ranch horses spend uncountable hours under saddle- hours of daily riding, standing around waiting for things to happen, standing tied to a fence, trailer, etc. BUT, horses are living, breathing animals with minds of their own. They can become spooked or frightened, slip and fall, or experience behavior issues caused by things like pain. And all of these things can cause them to unseat a rider without much effort.

I own some REALLY good horses. Well behaved, broke horses that have been hauled all over creation. BUT, they are still horses that can react given the situation they are in. Depending on what spooked them, I would never count on a horse to stay with it’s rider if they became separated. Horses and dogs are not similar in that aspect.

It is easier to come off a horse than most people think. One the best upper level riders in our country, Olympic level rider, came off a horse at a walk in an arena a few years ago, and suffered a devastating brain injury. I know people who have been killed riding because of how they came off the horse, or because of what happened immediately after they fell.

The fact that Ben left his dog home could say a couple things. 1) The weather was not great for the dog to be out. 2) Ben did not plan on being gone long, so he just decided to leave the dog home. 3) There was some physical reason the dog did not go along- dog was hurting, not feeling well, tired, etc.

I personally carry my cell phone with an app running that will tell my husband exactly where I am, and will send an emergency message if I stop moving and stay stationary for a set amount of time. BUT, that is when I am in an area with cell service. I carry a GPS SPOT transmitter for use in areas without cell service. It will pin point my location and allow me to send out an emergency text message IF I have satellite service and am able to physically send the message. Satellite service can be compromised if there is heavy leaf cover from trees.

I also carry a saddle bag with basic first aid gear for both me and the horse, a solar blanket, a headlamp and flashlight, a snack, etc., as well as water. It would be an issue though if separated from the horse because the saddlebag is tied to the saddle. My phone and SPOT transmitter are kept on my person.

While I am not personally familiar with the area Ben is in, I assume it is very rural and rugged, without cell service. If he was only planning on a short ride, he might not have used a saddle bag or even a SPOT transmitter, thinking he wouldn’t be gone long.

My fear is that the horse spooked, Ben came off and was injured or left unconscious. Concussions are extremely common in falls from horses and can lead to confusion. The results of this happening in an area like this ranch could be absolutely devastating.

A few thoughts from another life long rider...

Even Olympic level, world class riders experience devastating injuries from becoming unseated or from remaining in the saddle while the horse loses his/her footing and falls. Some of the most highly trained horses & riders in the world have experienced devastating falls while riding their horse at a leisurely walk or trot.

Countless sources, including the journal Neurological Focus, published reports and studies stating that the sport that causes the most traumatic brain injuries isn't a contact sport. It's horseback riding.

Further, when comparable hours of activity are studied, horseback riding results in a higher rate of hospital admissions than motorcycle riding. So, the statistics both in the U.S. & worldwide strongly support Cutter99's statements from a few pages back.

It's obvious based on his job choices that BT is an experienced horseman, but in addition to that, the tack/gear, BT generally uses, shows he has nice, high quality equipment and a trustworthy, well trained horse. The horse world is like many other endeavors in that a wide range of quality/pricing exists in available equipment. BT's equipment is high quality, and small details regarding the choices he made in equipment tell the tale of a highly experienced, advanced rider & horseman. I believe he even did his own leather work and made some of his own gear. This is a guy who likes quality items that are comfortable for his horse. I get the impression this is a guy who is invested in his horse and his passion for his lifestyle.

I lean towards thinking his saddle bags were most likely attached when his horse was found. Some of us who use saddle bags & go on long rides frequently, generally leave them attached. You don't remove them & attach them each ride (as long as your gear is stored in a secure place), unless you are planning for an overnight ride where you will need space for additional gear, or unless it's extremely hot out and you are trying to keep your horse cool by removing unnecessary tack that limits air flow to their skin. As others have stated, I too am wondering what was found when his tack was examined, to see if it gives any insight into the length of ride he had prepared for.

I don't know ANY cowboys or farmers who do not ALWAYS cary a knife on their person. I would be surprised if he does not have a knife in his coat or pants pocket, & possibly a 2nd one in his saddle bags. You typically don't live or work on a farm without a knife on your person at all times.

As the other riders on this forum can attest to, the horse world is "small". I don't know him personally, but among mutual peers and his family, BT is considered a decent, selfless, hard working man. He has a history of volunteering his time & sweat when others are in need. Based on mutual acquaintances, I get the impression BT is adored & absolutely respected by those who know him well.

Like so many others, every time I log on, I am hoping to see news of him being found, safe.

Career "horse people" are some of the toughest, most resourceful souls you will ever meet, so hopefully he has found a way to protect himself from the elements until he is found.

Adult sports-related traumatic brain injury in United States trauma centers in: Neurosurgical Focus Volume 40 Issue 4 Year 2016

Horse Riding Leads Causes of Sport-Related Traumatic Brain Injuries

Going back over some old articles, I found this. Maybe this location will help narrow in on the search area? How near is this area to the part of the ranch where his truck and trailer were located? It would a big help if someone knew how to post a map with the locations marked on it.

Merritt RCMP Cst. Tracey Dunsmore says the search began Monday afternoon not long after a horse with a saddle was found near Mamette Lake, towards Logan Lake.

https://www.radionl.com/2019/01/29/...ing-for-a-missing-cowboy-in-the-merritt-area/

A few thoughts from another life long rider...

Even Olympic level, world class riders experience devastating injuries from becoming unseated or from remaining in the saddle while the horse loses his/her footing and falls. Some of the most highly trained horses & riders in the world have experienced devastating falls while riding their horse at a leisurely walk or trot.

Countless sources, including the journal Neurological Focus, published reports and studies stating that the sport that causes the most traumatic brain injuries isn't a contact sport. It's horseback riding.

Further, when comparable hours of activity are studied, horseback riding results in a higher rate of hospital admissions than motorcycle riding. So, the statistics both in the U.S. & worldwide strongly support Cutter99's statements from a few pages back.

It's obvious based on his job choices that BT is an experienced horseman, but in addition to that, the tack/gear, BT generally uses, shows he has nice, high quality equipment and a trustworthy, well trained horse. The horse world is like many other endeavors in that a wide range of quality/pricing exists in available equipment. BT's equipment is high quality, and small details regarding the choices he made in equipment tell the tale of a highly experienced, advanced rider & horseman. I believe he even did his own leather work and made some of his own gear. This is a guy who likes quality items that are comfortable for his horse. I get the impression this is a guy who is invested in his horse and his passion for his lifestyle.

I lean towards thinking his saddle bags were most likely attached when his horse was found. Some of us who use saddle bags & go on long rides frequently, generally leave them attached. You don't remove them & attach them each ride (as long as your gear is stored in a secure place), unless you are planning for an overnight ride where you will need space for additional gear, or unless it's extremely hot out and you are trying to keep your horse cool by removing unnecessary tack that limits air flow to their skin. As others have stated, I too am wondering what was found when his tack was examined, to see if it gives any insight into the length of ride he had prepared for.

I don't know ANY cowboys or farmers who do not ALWAYS cary a knife on their person. I would be surprised if he does not have a knife in his coat or pants pocket, & possibly a 2nd one in his saddle bags. You typically don't live or work on a farm without a knife on your person at all times.

As the other riders on this forum can attest to, the horse world is "small". I don't know him personally, but among mutual peers and his family, BT is considered a decent, selfless, hard working man. He has a history of volunteering his time & sweat when others are in need. Based on mutual acquaintances, I get the impression BT is adored & absolutely respected by those who know him well.

Like so many others, every time I log on, I am hoping to see news of him being found, safe.

Career "horse people" are some of the toughest, most resourceful souls you will ever meet, so hopefully he has found a way to protect himself from the elements until he is found.

Adult sports-related traumatic brain injury in United States trauma centers in: Neurosurgical Focus Volume 40 Issue 4 Year 2016

Horse Riding Leads Causes of Sport-Related Traumatic Brain Injuries

Welcome to Websleuths, Equestrian!

Going back over some old articles, I found this. Maybe this location will help narrow in on the search area? How near is this area to the part of the ranch where his truck and trailer were located? It would a big help if someone knew how to post a map with the locations marked on it.

Merritt RCMP Cst. Tracey Dunsmore says the search began Monday afternoon not long after a horse with a saddle was found near Mamette Lake, towards Logan Lake.

https://www.radionl.com/2019/01/29/...ing-for-a-missing-cowboy-in-the-merritt-area/

If he went looking for cows, do they mean missing cows? How were the cows getting food/water, if they were on a dif part of the ranch? Was he looking for a few head that wandered off? Idk if he thought he could find them & turn them back, alone?
I think the reason he left his dog behind he felt the snow to deep. Unless he allowed dog to ride with him (Guilty, here), the dog would tire in the deep snow.
I wonder if he was in familiar territory if he fell thru a pond?
I’m so upset there’s no news & NR is not updating.

There are articles referring to him at the Cattle Manager and the Ranch Manager...he may have been hired as both, who knows as there's no official press release.
What is the terrain like in this area? I know one picture that was circulated in MSM was of almost a wooded area with lots of downed trees. Is that how the whole area is?

Also, there was some mention of cabins in this area early on, but I have not heard anything about those being searched. Do you know anything about this?

Thank you!

If he went looking for cows, do they mean missing cows? How were the cows getting food/water, if they were on a dif part of the ranch? Was he looking for a few head that wandered off? Idk if he thought he could find them & turn them back, alone?
I think the reason he left his dog behind he felt the snow to deep. Unless he allowed dog to ride with him (Guilty, here), the dog would tire in the deep snow.
I wonder if he was in familiar territory if he fell thru a pond?
I’m so upset there’s no news & NR is not updating.
It would just be strays he'd be looking for & a guy like him would likely be more than capable of gathering a stray or two and bringing it home. He might even just get it to a neighbours corral depending on whereabouts he is, and then trailering it back to the ranch. The watering holes are frozen.
Agree with you re dog.

I suppose there's not much to update :( However, there are people out actively looking and I've read of others hoping to travel in to search. Please keep in mind that it's very cold and the higher elevations dropped to about --29C this morning (--20F?). Add some wind to that and ice and it can lead to treacherous situations for even the well-prepared outdoorsman.

What is the terrain like in this area? I know one picture that was circulated in MSM was of almost a wooded area with lots of downed trees. Is that how the whole area is?

Also, there was some mention of cabins in this area early on, but I have not heard anything about those being searched. Do you know anything about this?

Thank you!

Yes, there are a few shacks/shelters/cabins here and there and I would imagine that the locals out searching, in particular the immediate neighbours of the ranch fence line would have checked these.

The topography is a mix; open grasslands and semi-forested ... there are rugged areas and rock outcrops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salorenz