CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no!
Search For Missing Wyoming Cowboy Suspended

Authorities in British Columbia say they have called off the search for Ben Tyner, 32, an employee on the Nicola Ranch who went missing Jan. 26 in the remote area of the Nicola Valley northeast of Vancouver, B.C.
This was suspended a few days ago, but I believe private searches are still potentially going on. Also SAR will investigate if more info is discovered. At least still some hope.

Just digressing back to the NR land; I'm hazarding a guess that the deeded land is well over a 1,000 acres not including a piece or two elsewhere in the valley. How much is crown for grazing I'm not sure, suffice to say there's a lot of riding opportunities.
I meant over 2,000 acres private ... so the mix of private and crown could be tens of thousands of acres. At one point (not sure if still applicable) they had 2,000 acres of irrigated farmland.

I meant over 2,000 acres private ... so the mix of private and crown could be tens of thousands of acres. At one point (not sure if still applicable) they had 2,000 acres of irrigated farmland.

Do you have a property site to search for the exact amount of land?
Does JL still own NR? Tysm

Wasn't that search suspended due to the weather, or am I thinking of another case?
Search for missing Merritt cowboy suspended after 7 days amid frigid conditions

“We are into day seven, we’ve covered a lot of terrain, we’re quite confident that most of the terrain that we’ve covered is our highest probability,” said Merritt RCMP spokesperson Const. Tracy Dunsmore.

“Without any further evidence to look anywhere else, with the weather … it’s very icy, we have a skiff of snow, so it's becoming dangerous for the searchers and they’ve been out for seven days so fatigue starting to set in."

Do you have a property site to search for the exact amount of land?
Does JL still own NR? Tysm
I don't the exact amount of deeded land mass but wonder how this would give any clue as to helping locate BT?
Plenty of landowners don't advertise how much land they own I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Merritt.png I tried my hand at overlaying the photo of the search map on top of the Google map image posted (on the approved FB) showing where the horse was found. By lining up and matching the bare land strips on the right, I believe it is correct. Nicola Ranch is far right, circled in blue. The red marker is where the horse was said to be found. (The horse location is NOT the one quoted by the law enforcement spokesperson saying it was found by Meritte Lake. That area is much farther to the Northwest and I'm not sure what to think of it. But I am fairly confident that I have placed the search area correctly.)

What is the terrain like in this area? I know one picture that was circulated in MSM was of almost a wooded area with lots of downed trees. Is that how the whole area is?

Also, there was some mention of cabins in this area early on, but I have not heard anything about those being searched. Do you know anything about this?

Thank you!

I searched Google for the two lakes mentioned in my link above (Mamette Lake and Logan Lake) and found some GoPro video type filming that bikers have made while on the bike trails through the area. Ben probably didn't go on bike trails, but it sure would give you an idea of how the territory seems to be a nightmare to search through. Didn't think I could link the videos here.

Does anyone know if Ben left out before the snow storms hit?

Lurker and horseperson chiming in here... like most cowboys, he was not wearing a safety helmet, which greatly increases the chances for serious head injury. While it is certainly possible to be gravely injured in other ways riding, head injuries are entirely too common...

View attachment 167627 I tried my hand at overlaying the photo of the search map on top of the Google map image posted (on the approved FB) showing where the horse was found. By lining up and matching the bare land strips on the right, I believe it is correct. Nicola Ranch is far right, circled in blue. The red marker is where the horse was said to be found. (The horse location is NOT the one quoted by the law enforcement spokesperson saying it was found by Meritte Lake. That area is much farther to the Northwest and I'm not sure what to think of it. But I am fairly confident that I have placed the search area correctly.)

I see what you mean. Looking at a Google road map, it shows Logan Lake at a big curve on 97C with Mamette Lake down lower near the same road. All of it is northwest of the ranch land. Do we know where on that land are the main housing and barns of the ranch located?

Last edited:
Search for missing Merritt cowboy suspended after 7 days amid frigid conditions

“We are into day seven, we’ve covered a lot of terrain, we’re quite confident that most of the terrain that we’ve covered is our highest probability,” said Merritt RCMP spokesperson Const. Tracy Dunsmore.

“Without any further evidence to look anywhere else, with the weather … it’s very icy, we have a skiff of snow, so it's becoming dangerous for the searchers and they’ve been out for seven days so fatigue starting to set in."

I wondered if his horse may have slipped & he tumbled off, then the horse raced off.

View attachment 167627 I tried my hand at overlaying the photo of the search map on top of the Google map image posted (on the approved FB) showing where the horse was found. By lining up and matching the bare land strips on the right, I believe it is correct. Nicola Ranch is far right, circled in blue. The red marker is where the horse was said to be found. (The horse location is NOT the one quoted by the law enforcement spokesperson saying it was found by Meritte Lake. That area is much farther to the Northwest and I'm not sure what to think of it. But I am fairly confident that I have placed the search area correctly.)

Not Meritte Lake... it's name is Mamette Lake. Mamette is a lake but they were referring to the Mamette Lk Hwy -- Highway #97C -- which takes off of the #8 leading to Logan Lake (the town). One can access the landmarks they refer to via the 97D ,,, and can travel up to Swakum mountain and right back down to NR, too.

I wondered if his horse may have slipped & he tumbled off, then the horse raced off.
Quite possible IMO. There are conflicting reports on Missing Ben Facebook about shoe status of his horse. One that the horse was found with one shoe missing. Another that the horse was only shod on front hooves. (Both could be true) Nothing seems for sure over there, with reports coming from those who found the horse, and those who know the man and his horse.

MISSING: BEN TYNER

ETA The page is set up nicely as far as organization. There is a section for ideas of where to look and how to search, and a section as well for those with questions for locals, as to, for example, where to stay, where to board horses, if coming into town to help search. This gives me reason to believe there are still searchers out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColeTyler