CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people have questioned where the thought comes from that Ben and his horse may have been "trailered in" to where he started riding. It's possible that Ben had been "trailered in" when searched for stays on previous weekends but I suspect that after all this time of no one coming forward (that we know of) that the searchers have moved away from this theory.

But I've made another map which is just my opinion of where and why he might have done that.

Ben was riding in an area shaped like a "U" surrounded roads. He could have started riding west from the ranch, going across the "U" and back to ranch making a long circle. On my map I made such a circle from the ranch and back in PURPLE.

But if Ben wanted a shorter ride covering the same general area, he could ask someone to pick him and his horse up at his home on the ranch. They could drive down the "U" to Merritt, and up the other side past Lower Nicola, and be dropped up. (GREEN on map) He would then have a one way ride back to the ranch. (BLUE on my map)

Attachments

• 20190206_104813.jpg
    20190206_104813.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 18
Eneiram, good points. I expect foul play, too.
Everyone’s riding skills are dif, granted, but I work cattle with a large group of cowboys, on a regular basis. It’s nothing for them to saddle a 2y.o. & break it in one day. It’d take a rope to pull them off. So, barring a medical event, I think foul play. As I mentioned earlier, I wanna know, was Ben accepted by the exsiting wranglers? Was there animosity?

Eneiram, good points. I expect foul play, too.
Everyone’s riding skills are dif, granted, but I work cattle with a large group of cowboys, on a regular basis. It’s nothing for them to saddle a 2y.o. & break it in one day. It’d take a rope to pull them off. So, barring a medical event, I think foul play. As I mentioned earlier, I wanna know, was Ben accepted by the exsiting wranglers? Was there animosity?

This is a really good point.
Im by no means an experienced horse person and even I knew enough to grab that horn and hang on for dear life when my horse reared up on his back legs.

So take someone like Ben and he was likely prepared for whatever a horse could throw at him.

I wonder how thoroughly the local LE interrogated everyone
working at the ranch. Did LE just accept everything they were
told, which wasn't much, and proceed chasing a blind trail
over hill and dale? 130 volunteers out on the trails chasing
a blind trail, rather no trail. Also odd, to me, is nothing was
learned, no trace according to RCMP. Why wasn't something
learned about Ben's horse trail. Wildlife and wild horses
didn't cover every single track from Ben's horse. Did they just
skip this step and claim there were no good tracks to follow?
Odd that Ben's brother found the rein.
I don't know how LE in that area operates or how skilled they
are in investigating missing persons or how well trained or not,
I find it hard to believe there was not a trace of Ben or a trail
from his horse.
I would think LE would have thoroughly interrogated everyone
working at the ranch. Then request lie detector tests for all.
And double check their alibi's for Sat. and Sunday.
This just doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Last edited:
I wonder how thoroughly the local LE interrogated everyone
working at the ranch. Did LE just accept everything they were
told, which wasn't much, and proceed chasing a blind trail
over hill and dale? 130 volunteers out on the trails chasing
a blind trail, rather no trail. Also odd, to me, is nothing was
learned, no trace according to RCMP. Why wasn't something
learned about Ben's horse trail. Wildlife and wild horses
didn't cover every single track from Ben's horse. Did they just
skip this step and claim there were no good tracks to follow?
Odd that Ben's brother found the rein.
I don't know how LE in that area operates or how skilled they
are in investigating missing persons or how well trained or not,
I find it hard to believe there was not a trace of Ben or a trail
from his horse.
I would think LE would have thoroughly interrogated everyone
working at the ranch. Then request lie detector tests for all.
And double check their alibi's for Sat. and Sunday.
This just doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Enelram, I can’t find one article with comments regarding NR staff. Why?
Maybe LE suspects “something” & feels a search is not conducive. As in, have they talked to someone that advised them of personality problems between Ben & a wrangler?
Perhaps LE believes he’s deceased & not worth the risk to have SAR in the elements. Something is clearly wrong. Jmo

Another thought, usually when a new manager comes into a
business, they like to bring their own people with them or hire
their own employees to assure a smooth transition. And to insure
loyalty to the new "boss". Were the employees here all old timers
who'd been at the ranch for ages and this new 'Merican' young
whippersnapper comes in and makes changes which may not
go over well with the old timers or those who had seniority over
the new boss.
Ben was definitely an "outsider". He even went to college to study
cattle management. He was savvy to the new ways of doing things
scientifically and proven. He had traveled a lot, worldwide actually.
Merritt is a very small town. People in small, historic towns
do think differently about outsiders. No denying it.
It's called "Parochial" thinking. You're not trusted til the locals
say you're OK. And even then you have to name drop for acceptance.
I wonder if there was/is that suspicion about BT?
I also wonder if there were any recent firings, or any changes
in the working responsibilities of the remaining employees.
Did Ben do any new hiring recently? Could someone have
been worried about their job security? Were there many changes
he'd make about the operations? And finally what is the general attitude of local LE about 'outsiders' ? Is LE there home grown?
This is the path I believe LE should be looking into.
If I were his family I might be calling a P.I. at this point.

Enelram, I can’t find one article with comments regarding NR staff. Why?
Maybe LE suspects “something” & feels a search is not conducive. As in, have they talked to someone that advised them of personality problems between Ben & a wrangler?
Perhaps LE believes he’s deceased & not worth the risk to have SAR in the elements. Something is clearly wrong. Jmo
But without a "trace" of evidence or trail how would they think
he's deceased? Usually you need some evidence of death.
Unless someone tipped them off that there'd been problems. Way back in the beginning someone on fb said the Consulate and FBI
had been called in to help investigate. I don't know how the FBI
would be involved in a missing person case in Canada but it did put
some suspicions out there that there was more to this than what's
been reported. Sometimes in small towns information is not
forthcoming and it's like pulling teeth to get facts.

Another thought, usually when a new manager comes into a
business, they like to bring their own people with them or hire
their own employees to assure a smooth transition. And to insure
loyalty to the new "boss". Were the employees here all old timers
who'd been at the ranch for ages and this new 'Merican' young
whippersnapper comes in and makes changes which may not
go over well with the old timers or those who had seniority over
the new boss.
Ben was definitely an "outsider". He even went to college to study
cattle management. He was savvy to the new ways of doing things
scientifically and proven. He had traveled a lot, worldwide actually.
Merritt is a very small town. People in small, historic towns
do think differently about outsiders. No denying it.
It's called "Parochial" thinking. You're not trusted til the locals
say you're OK. And even then you have to name drop for acceptance.
I wonder if there was/is that suspicion about BT?
I also wonder if there were any recent firings, or any changes
in the working responsibilities of the remaining employees.
Did Ben do any new hiring recently? Could someone have
been worried about their job security? Were there many changes
he'd make about the operations? And finally what is the general attitude of local LE about 'outsiders' ? Is LE there home grown?
This is the path I believe LE should be looking into.
If I were his family I might be calling a P.I. at this point.

See, this is exactly what I’ve been saying. Also, with the loss of the hay op’ in late 2017, the unaffected employees had to wonder “what next”.
....then, along comes Ben.
Being familiar with very large horse farms, I can tell you, the staff, after years of employment & housing, feel like they own the place. I can understand their thinking, for some, it’s a long term home, if terminated, it’s a double or triple whammy. Not only job loss but housing & your friends within the farm. Where I live, the farm hands are like family. Even tho the farms are enormous & tenant houses are scattered, they all cook out, swim, play ball, etc., after hours.
I think Ben was probably more “company minded”, just looking at his background. NR was obviously struggling & trying to get out of the red.
What had he discovered during his first three months? Maybe nothing. Idk
I’m back at square one. Did he actually saddle & ride his horse that day? Did anyone see him?

I did
See, this is exactly what I’ve been saying. Also, with the loss of the hay op’ in late 2017, the unaffected employees had to wonder “what next”.
....then, along comes Ben.
Being familiar with very large horse farms, I can tell you, the staff, after years of employment & housing, feel like they own the place. I can understand their thinking, for some, it’s a long term home, if terminated, it’s a double or triple whammy. Not only job loss but housing & your friends within the farm. Where I live, the farm hands are like family. Even tho the farms are enormous & tenant houses are scattered, they all cook out, swim, play ball, etc., after hours.
I think Ben was probably more “company minded”, just looking at his background. NR was obviously struggling & trying to get out of the red.
What had he discovered during his first three months? Maybe nothing. Idk
I’m back at square one. Did he actually saddle & ride his horse that day? Did anyone see him?
I did not understand either of articles about NR ending their hay operation to say that the ranch was struggling, or that it was in the red. It was simply stated that it was costing NR more to put up their own hay than to hire it done.

But without a "trace" of evidence or trail how would they think
he's deceased? Usually you need some evidence of death.
Unless someone tipped them off that there'd been problems. Way back in the beginning someone on fb said the Consulate and FBI
had been called in to help investigate. I don't know how the FBI
would be involved in a missing person case in Canada but it did put
some suspicions out there that there was more to this than what's
been reported. Sometimes in small towns information is not
forthcoming and it's like pulling teeth to get facts.

I guess if the RCMP agreed, the FBI could assist.
I’ll go back thru articles, Iirc, RCMP “hasn’t ruled out foul play”.
Does anyone know that Ben wasn’t in a truck with someone & things went to heck & his horse was later turned out?
Did anyone see him the night before?
There’s zero info. Which, is good. Here, in the US, we expect more & seem to have leaks, RCMP keep their lips tightly sealed.

I did

I did not understand either of articles about NR ending their hay operation to say that the ranch was struggling, or that it was in the red. It was simply stated that it was costing NR more to put up their own hay than to hire it done.

Well, I interpret that, with the layoffs (opposed to finding other positions) to mean the ranch was in the red. Cash flow problems is not a good sign.

New contractor set to take over maintenance of local highways - Merritt Herald

Williams said it was a tough decision that had to be made for the good of the ranch given its current cashflow situation. He said the cost to produce the hay was more than it would be to simply buy it.

The decision to no longer grow hay, however, is not exactly set in stone.

Williams said that while the ranch has ceased those operations for 2017, it will revisit the decision on a year-to-year basis.

Although nine people have been laid off, Williams said the ranch will still be able to provide them with housing accommodations for the next six month while they find new ones.

Last edited:
Bradner R Farms assumes haying operation at Nicola Ranch

The ranch will retain a full-time cowboy crew of four to manage its cattle, Williams said.

It’s also keeping a full-time lawns and maintenance person and an officer administrator, he said.

Including the five people keeping their jobs under Bradner R Farms, 11 Nicola Valley residents will retain long-term work at the ranch moving forward, Williams said.

Williams, however, will be leaving the farm in the summer after a transitional period helping Bradner R Farms get up to speed with the operation, and is one of the four still out of a job.

Williams said he doesn’t think his position as ranch manager will be refilled as it will be redundant with the leasee.

Last edited:
OK so the church arsons that happened - that guy got bail but I just did a CSO check, there's a publication ban? Is this normal or is there more to it?

OK so the church arsons that happened - that guy got bail but I just did a CSO check, there's a publication ban? Is this normal or is there more to it?

What do you mean by publication ban? Ty

Who actually was the last person to see Ben, on Saturday?
I dislike that friends & family feel it unususl for him to not tell anyone where he was going.

Wish we had photos of the layout of Ben’s house in relation to other tenant houses.

Last edited:
I really want to make this map accurate but I need more help. Which side of Swakum Mtn. direction wise was searched, and which side do some people think should have been sesrched? I'm confused because if the search was on Swakum Mtn., how should they have searched "towards Revelle Lake, Helmer Lake" when they appear to be on opposite sides of the mountain?

Sorry about that....I'll try to explain it more clearly but first I want to address the suggestion regarding his being trailered in.
Rather than riding right from the Homeranch (Lower Nicola, Merritt-Kamloops Hwy 5a) one can drive from the Homeranch via backroad up to the other side of the Coquihalla 5N-- basically due north from the ranch and drive up towards Swakum.

Coyote Valley Road -- goes from Nicola (right by homeranch) up and over towards Mamette Lk, joining the 97C @ Eight Mile Road. There are a few locked gates and it is more of a summer-only type of drive. So, a guy could get dropped off on that side and ride back to the homeranch. This area shares fenceline with some NR grazing land.

And another approach is again from the Mamette Lke Hwy 97C but being dropped off very close to the junction of #8 & 97C; a set of corrals there ... this way allows a ride through the reserve. I know BT searchers have been approaching from there.... ***Horse was found 7km from here.***

Another option either Clapperton Exit or Helmer Exit -- both stops along Coquihalla 5N.

I took a screen shot of a map that I like, not overlaying the terrain but if you want to browse over to tnrdmap.map.ca/myregionview This map has lots of layer options and encompasses the whole of the Kamloops Regional District....zoom in to Merritt and you'll easily see Nicola Lake landmark.

Attachments

• NR NW.jpg
    NR NW.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Bradner R Farms assumes haying operation at Nicola Ranch

The ranch will retain a full-time cowboy crew of four to manage its cattle, Williams said.

It’s also keeping a full-time lawns and maintenance person and an officer administrator, he said.

Including the five people keeping their jobs under Bradner R Farms, 11 Nicola Valley residents will retain long-term work at the ranch moving forward, Williams said.

Williams, however, will be leaving the farm in the summer after a transitional period helping Bradner R Farms get up to speed with the operation, and is one of the four still out of a job.

Williams said he doesn’t think his position as ranch manager will be refilled as it will be redundant with the leasee.

MW is now with WA Ranches @ U of C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member