CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
could be one of those cases where he sounded like the elder one..its creepy anyway
I assume HS had no inkling that JS was gay until he and Andrew got together and HS assumed Andrew lured him. I would also assume Andrew was not ashamed of his sexual preference at his younger age (looking like confidence) , JS I assume may not have shown his yet. Also HS may of subconsciously wanted someone to blame as it was difficult for her to understand and accept his preference.

Just noticed a number of responses to the article.

By Sarah LaingThe Kit
Fri., June 16, 2023 rbbm,
''For the docuseries, Donovan shot all of his “talking head” scenes over five nights in the old Star newsroom at 1 Yonge St., shortly before the newspaper moved to a new headquarters.
“It’s the last video of the old newsroom,” said Donovan, adding that the desk he’s sitting at in the doc is a recreation of his actual desk, which couldn’t be shot because it was in an office. “We re-created that desk every night.”

''The newsroom — the Star’s home for 51 years — is a fitting setting for a series that is ultimately a love letter to journalism.''

''Donovan remains on the Sherman case. He said he has a theory he’s fairly confident about, but he just needs to prove it — something that could take years.

“I’m seeing a new source later this week who’s got some specific information to tell me,” said Donovan, adding that he’s meeting them on a park bench somewhere in the GTA''

can we have a recap then ?
i dont think we will be able to watch this untill much later for the rest of us
I posted one spoiler upthread, and this is another:
From KD’s Crave documentary ‘The Billionaire Murders’, second episode.

Brad Garrett (Former FBI Profiler, Crime & Terrorism),
“It’s all about a long-term abusive relationship between Barry and Honey and whoever killed them.” He thinks it’s a personal crime.

The documentary is shown through KD’s eyes, as Dotr’s post indicates. He sets out how he investigated it and broke some stories.

If you’ve followed his reporting or read his book, he’s telling the similar story. But he’s flushed it out with insiders and experts. He goes deep into Barry’s and Honey’s upbringings to explain who they were.

Joe Warmington is featured and they go into KW’s part of the story. His former lawyer is interviewed.
KD seems to give the conclusion that he thinks KW is not involved. He checked the courts to see if an ITO was served on his address and hasn’t yet found one. KW’s former lawyer thinks KW is child-like and harmless.

Hopefully, others here can add to this.

I’m so shocked by the second episode’s cliffhanger. I’m putting under a spoiler because I’m guessing many people haven’t seen it yet.

(From KD’s Crave documentary ‘The Billionaire Murders’, end of second episode.)—

An Apotex lawyer spoke about when FD’A would visit BS. This lawyer had an office close to Barry’s.

He said despite closing his doors and the walls in between, he could hear FD’A yelling at BS.

“What I heard was verbal abuse. And Barry took it for years and years and years.”

I’ll go back and get the person’s name. The preview for the next episode had him expanding on what he heard.

I just wanted to note that the quote in the spoiler above was made by Shashank Upadhye, former in-house counsel for Apotex. He’ll be in the next episode of the documentary.

FWIW, if I have the right Frank he is 6 foot. Here is his mini bio:

I just wanted to note that the quote in the spoiler above was made by Shashank Upadhye, former in-house counsel for Apotex. He’ll be in the next episode of the documentary.
I wonder what JK's relationship with FD'A was like. I think I read that he was still having lunch with him after the murders. He surely would have heard FD'A talking to Barry like that.

Barry is becoming more and more of a sympathetic figure in all of this because of the way the cousins, JS and now FD'A treated him. All of that talk about BS being his best friend always seemed hollow to me.

I watched both Crave episodes last night. There isn’t a ton that is new. Shashank’s comments are new and I also found them surprising.

Hasn’t KD previously stated in his podcast and/or Q&As that he doesn’t think FD’A is a suspect?

Not to give any credit to JS but I wonder if that's why he never liked FDA? We all know he was just a leech but maybe there was more to the story?
I doubt it. JS only seems interested in money. Just the fact that he talks to Barry in emails about the family money in his emails make it seem like it belongs to all of them when it's actually Barry and Honey's money.

I doubt it. JS only seems interested in money. Just the fact that he talks to Barry in emails about the family money in his emails make it seem like it belongs to all of them when it's actually Barry and Honey's money.
In my experience, many children have trouble differentiating family assets and themselves.
"Dad can I borrow the car"
"Dad can I borrow your car"

Thanks for giving those of us who aren’t in Canada some tidbits of the doco.

I’m trying to think of the best way to summarize it.

If you’re familiar with the story of what happened on Friday the 15th, that’s where the documentary starts. They have KD narrating as actors play the people in the house who make the discovery of the bodies.

The pool scene that you can see on the previews is graphic and eerie. Throughout both episodes they frequently cut back to that scene: BS & HS in a misty poolroom that is only illuminated by the glow of the pool lights. It looks exactly like them and they pull in for close ups, which made my heart drop each time.

They have a number of people narrating with different insights: the FBI profiler, Honey’s anonymous service provider who is very frank (her image and voice is altered), friends of the Shermans, KW’s lawyer, an Apotex lawyer, Joe Warmington (and some others I don’t recognize or recall.)

Then they tell the story through Donovan’s eyes as he is handed the story by the Star and told to solve it.

He starts by trying to access the warrants and ITOs that are normally available to the public, but finds the judge has sealed them.

KD: “When someone tells me I can’t see something, it’s usually one of the best days of my life. Because I know I’m going try and see whatever they don’t want me to see.”

I think that’s the theme of this whole story. KD is uncovering the truth about what others are trying to hide.

He tells us how he cracked the case piece by piece.

They also take a deep-dive into the origin stories of BS and HS. Honey’s parents survived Nazi work camps and made it to a DP camp where Honey was born. Her mother was described as harsh, her father was described as immersed in what happened during the Holocaust. Their past made a great impact on them, and several people spoke of what it was like to be a child of that generation.

They go into Honey’s personality at length. Charming, but often harsh. Rude to wait staff and service people. But also warm, kind and generous once you got past that outer bitter layer. They think that could have been a coping mechanism for her. People loved her and she was a high-energy, fun person. Very dynamic. But she was human and had her flaws. She was very bright and accomplished.

BS was lethargic and sounds lonely as a child. He wasn’t athletic and he didn’t do well at elementary school. He was teased by both classmates and teachers (that wasn’t all in the documentary, but they touched on those issues.) His father died when he was 10, which threw his life into turmoil. He decided to help his mother out financially by taking every job he could.

He discovered he did well when tested. (I think that’s an important point.) He applied himself academically during high school and passed the Ontario tests (‘firsts’) and became Ontario’s top student. He went on to become an MIT rocket scientist.

The next episode focused on KW’s story. There’s enough about it online so that I don’t have to recap it. I put some new information upthread that included spoilers with new information.

It ends with the other spoilers I posted. FD’A will be featured in the next episode.

Can anyone add onto this?

Last edited:
Re-fresher, lengthy article
rbbm.

''Among these characters, no one was more different from Sherman than Frank D’Angelo. Sherman once described him as being similar to a worn version of a famous movie actor. It is difficult for many of Sherman’s friends to fathom what the billionaire scientist saw in D’Angelo, who was the first person with any real knowledge of key events who agreed to speak to me when I began investigating the deaths of the Shermans.
He is a streetwise entrepreneur with Sicilian-Italian roots who purposefully puts on the air of a comic-book gangster but in reality is a singer, songwriter, talk-show host, actor, movie producer, restaurateur, former beer baron, hockey goalie, and apple juice maker, to name a few of his activities. Since he started out in the fruit and vegetable business with his father out of high school, D’Angelo has ridden a financial rollercoaster for his entire life. While he may not have the Midas touch, he has made a great deal of luck over the years simply by working hard and being in the right place at the right time. The movies D’Angelo makes, which Sherman bankrolled and executive produced, all feature different but equally rumpled versions of D’Angelo, who, of course, stars in each movie.
He’s the everyman, the tough guy, the guy with the whole world against him who comes through in the end. There were many business outsiders who gained Sherman’s attention over the years, but none with D’Angelo’s charm, which may have been one of the reasons he and Sherman were friends for more than fifteen years.

''Barry’s son Jonathon, however, was not a fan. In a 2015 email exchange between father and son, Jonathon expressed dismay that Barry was continuing to fund D’Angelo, and makes the claim (which D’Angelo vigorously disputes) that over the years $250 million had been advanced to D’Angelo with little return. Jonathon writes, “In the past I have been accused of petulance for asking tough questions, and there has been much frustration for both of us. Years ago I did stop asking about Frank because of the strain it caused on our relationship, and left it alone. I am only asking again now because for the past couple of years ‘cash is tight.’ I have been turning down great investment opportunities, and Frank continues to burn cash at the same rate.”

Does anyone recall if KD has mentioned that he doesn't think FDA is involved?

Not so far, imo. The only person he seems to have personally excluded is under the spoilers I posted. Maybe the next episode will clear him somehow.

The common argument I hear about F is that he didn’t have a motive: he depended on BS financially. No way he’d kill him.

But KD mentioned during his podcast that prior to the murders, BS emailed F and told him that if his Arizona company didn’t receive higher profits, they’d have to cease immediately. KD asked F about that and he said he was working on that issue prior to the deaths.

Barry was liquidating items, calling in loans and cutting costs prior to his murder. It sounds like he took a hard look at F and decided to possibly cut his losses, imo. (Barry missed F’s annual lunch for the first time the day prior to the murders. I think that’s important.)

How might F react to being financially cut off if what that Apotex lawyer said is true? (Speculation)

Last edited:
FWIW, if I have the right Frank he is 6 foot. Here is his mini bio:

Is he a Honey (S.), but male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads