CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Addy Finch said .."I am perplexed why the family with all their money, sorrow, anger etc, haven’t hired their own team of private investigators?"

They did. They had a team under the guidance of lawyer of Brian Greenspan. Whatever they did discover, Greenspan said was turned over to the TPS.

Curious, the family members hired the Greenspan team, while many believe, possibly a family member was involved in the crime.

Reminds me of cases where a female victim disappears, search parties are formed, and the actual perpetrator of the crime joins the search party!
I knew about the Greenspan team, but wondered why it was never continued, or was it?? Would the same intent on solving the case be as intense now as in beginning? By both LE and private detectives, esp when family doesn’t seem as interested?
I wondered about the furnace man in relation to the furnace room ie were all four furnaces located in same spot or placed in various locations for efficiency? Would he be curious to peek beyond closed doors, or did he know this furnace set up really well. And why was he there? Usually fall tune up done in fall. Was there a problem? Who called in the repair request?

This seems like the most reasonable possibility yet. My guess is that if she was a no show he’d assume she’s late and stick around (and may very well bill as usually service providers like that have a 24-hour cancellation policy).

He may have had a key. It’s also possible that the door was left unlocked. We know that the alarm system was left off. What’s to say the door wasn’t left open.
this was in the news and le is keeping it under wraps
you think the trainer wouldnt come forward and say hey this was me !!??

Addy Finch said .."I am perplexed why the family with all their money, sorrow, anger etc, haven’t hired their own team of private investigators?"

They did. They had a team under the guidance of lawyer of Brian Greenspan. Whatever they did discover, Greenspan said was turned over to the TPS.

Curious, the family members hired the Greenspan team, while many believe, possibly a family member was involved in the crime.

Reminds me of cases where a female victim disappears, search parties are formed, and the actual perpetrator of the crime joins the search party!
is it family or just JS ? if the sisters think its him..this makes no sense

a cop in a dark sedan ?
i see no reason to deny a cop went to check ..what 911 is this anyway ?
they werent ashamed of the dumb conclusion to the murders to hide this fact alone

Curious how many "hang up" calls they had on Dec 13, 14, 2017?

Toronto police say 50% of calls to 911 in May ended up being accidental

----------------------------------------------

If you call 911, a police car will be sent to your home. When the police arrive, let them in. Even if you do not agree or your partner tries to stop them from coming in, the police can enter your home if:

• they have reasonable grounds to believe that a crime took place, or is about to take place, or
  • you or someone else called 911.

------------------------------------------------------
This is not Canada but assuming our procedures are similar

Therefore, the assumption is that if there is no one talking on the line that the operator should follow the “silent protocol” which means that they send a police officer to the location to investigate and see if there is any problem.

Not at all, IMO. A personal trainer to a billionaire would have other wealthy clients, and one of the things they get paid for is discretion. They are not going to run to the tabloids to spread juicy gossip about a client's tragic murder.

I need my memory refreshed. When the cleaner arrived on the Friday morning she discovered the alarm wasn’t set and she let herself in. Did she say the door was locked and she used a key? Or was the door unlocked? I believe she used the entrance where HS usually entered, and not the front door?
Yes she entered via the door HS used, it was locked and she used her key, she waited for the trainer to get to the door and they entered together.

Not at all, IMO. A personal trainer to a billionaire would have other wealthy clients, and one of the things they get paid for is discretion. They are not going to run to the tabloids to spread juicy gossip about a client's tragic murder.
Absolutely!

Also, the police may have asked them to keep it quiet. They may have reasons for that.

Maybe he did but LE isn’t saying.
I was wondering if the door was locked for the mystery visitor. We don’t know about the front door, but the other door where HS usually entered was locked. I think it’s safe to assume that the front door was also locked, if not when HS left for Apotex, then by the killer. So the mystery visitor would have had to go through a locked door to enter the house IMO.

Re post while awaiting the 'anchor' for this mystery - KD, iirc. a new article was in the works for September, imo.

By Rebecca Armitage
Jan 2023

''The Shermans' strange final days​

In the days leading up to the murders, the Shermans' behaviour struck the people who knew them as a little odd.

Honey failed to show up to a charity board meeting — highly unusual for the punctual and reliable philanthropist.

The CEO of the charity sent her an email asking if she was okay, and she responded that she was "dealing with some stuff".

Given her packed social calendar and the stress of building an ambitious new home, no-one gave it much more thought. ''

''Who would prop up two mannequins in a "fake murder" scene by the pool while she was trying to sell this Toronto mansion?

The prospective buyers, who were being asked to pay $7 million for the sprawling luxury home, seemed annoyed by the stunt too. ''

"It was very weird," police later wrote of the witnesses' discovery.''

''But finding the murderer among an abundance of potential suspects may prove tricky.
The mystery has turned siblings against each other, and confounded amateur sleuths.
Even Jonathan himself has been accused of involvement in his parents' murders, a claim he has vigorously denied.''
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
A
Re post while awaiting the 'anchor' for this mystery - KD, iirc. a new article was in the works for September, imo.

By Rebecca Armitage
Jan 2023

''The Shermans' strange final days​

In the days leading up to the murders, the Shermans' behaviour struck the people who knew them as a little odd.

Honey failed to show up to a charity board meeting — highly unusual for the punctual and reliable philanthropist.

The CEO of the charity sent her an email asking if she was okay, and she responded that she was "dealing with some stuff".

Given her packed social calendar and the stress of building an ambitious new home, no-one gave it much more thought. ''

''Who would prop up two mannequins in a "fake murder" scene by the pool while she was trying to sell this Toronto mansion?

The prospective buyers, who were being asked to pay $7 million for the sprawling luxury home, seemed annoyed by the stunt too. ''

"It was very weird," police later wrote of the witnesses' discovery.''

''But finding the murderer among an abundance of potential suspects may prove tricky.
The mystery has turned siblings against each other, and confounded amateur sleuths.
Even Jonathan himself has been accused of involvement in his parents' murders, a claim he has vigorously denied.''
<modsnip>
RE: the front door lock

I do not think the murderer or the Thursday visitor stripped the lock on the front door:

On December 15, Elise Stern brought the prospective buyers to the house and let herself in with the key the Shermans had left her in a lockbox.

from this article, we see that Elise used a key in that lock to enter the home on the Friday, if the lock was broken how did she not notice, how could she use a key and open the door?

A

RE: the front door lock

I do not think the murderer or the Thursday visitor stripped the lock on the front door:

On December 15, Elise Stern brought the prospective buyers to the house and let herself in with the key the Shermans had left her in a lockbox.

from this article, we see that Elise used a key in that lock to enter the home on the Friday, if the lock was broken how did she not notice, how could she use a key and open the door?
She may have gone in the door Honey uses.

She may have gone in the door Honey uses.
yes agree that is possible, but why put a lock box on the front door then, why not put the lock box on the door you plan to use the key in? the reason for the box is to make it easier for other agents to access, IMO they would not put the lock box on a door not intended to use the key.

yes agree that is possible, but why put a lock box on the front door then, why not put the lock box on the door you plan to use the key in? the reason for the box is to make it easier for other agents to access, IMO they would not put the lock box on a door not intended to use the key.
Yes, and showing a home is a ritual meant to maximize the viewer's desire to buy the house. The agent opens and walks them through the front door, so they will be maximally impressed. No slipping in through dark garages or servants entrance, that would turn buyer's off. Like a limo driver telling you to climb over the seats.

JMO

Showing a home is a ritual meant to maximize the viewer's desire to buy the home. The agent opens and walks them through the front door, so they will be maximally impressed.

JMO
They enter an impressive large, shiny home, which has been staged for better attraction to buyers by an interior architect or a person with similar skills, and they arrive in the basement at the pool, which has been staged also with dead homeowners, sitting there like the colorful waste statues ...... More odd you can't imagine.

Can anyone find the interview the realtor had with police?

Can anyone find the interview the realtor had with police?
A reference to the interview, fwiw
''The real estate agent confirmed that it was "at least a week or two" after police first started investigating the homicides before they reached out to him and his clients.

The agent says he was interviewed at a local police division and agreed to provide investigators with the shoes he was wearing when he was inside the Sherman home. ''

''The agent said police contacted him again recently to come in for fingerprinting, but hasn't been told when or where that will happen.

He declined to provide the names of the clients who were inside the home with him, but said police know who they are. He said they have since purchased another home in Toronto through a different agent.''

''The realtor told police that she saw Barry and Honey Sherman at the far end of the room on the pool deck with their heads elevated and hanging on the railing leading into the pool.

She said she initially thought it was “some weird meditation or yoga” and there was no blood.

She said she quickly got the strangers out of the house, locked the doors, and informed the others inside the residence about what she discovered.

The housekeeper, she said, admitted that she was scared and said that when she walked into the house that morning, she could feel “something heavy in the air.”

The realtor said she called Honey’s sister Mary, who told her to phone the police.

She added that the gardener, who had just arrived at the residence, returned to the basement to investigate.

According to the court documents, the gardener told police she came within a metre of the bodies, did not touch them, and came back upstairs.

She came back up “shaking,” the realtor told police, and informed the others that the Shermans were blue and clearly dead, adding that it appeared they had been murdered.

Police noted that in her 911 call, the realtor said that someone had killed her clients and she could be heard yelling, “they are dead.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08