CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE needs a legal reason to enter, if that was not followed, they entered "illegally". Put that aside... if anyone entered that house and is not the killer, then they entered a crime scene. I''m sure a good lawyer would make mincemeat of a case/evidence if a scene was tampered with or perceived to be tampered with etc etc. A thorough wellness check if given permission to do so, would include the whole house and exterior. A lazy LE might have cut corners and not done a thorough check, missing one of the biggest crime scenes (or at least most famous) in Canada = mud on face big time. Ah heck, maybe it was a busy night and there was something more pressing than an alarm that possibly kept going off all week. I'm sure alarm calls are a dime a dozen, and if a home owner wants a key holder to attend, then they need to pay for this service with a company who provides it, and not expect LE to provide (big difference between a wellness check and an alarm)
Sigh... my cameras work fantastically, my alarm eats 1 bowl of kibble per day, and poops.....
When I worked for the OPP there is such a thing as 'fresh pursuit' which means a warrantless search to apprehend a perp who entered a private home after being id'd as a suspect in a crime. So I would think if someone requested a wellness check on someone who hasn't responded for perhaps two days they may incorporate a warrantless entry of fresh pursuit in exigent circumstance like life or death.

Can one consider any scenario where Apotex, would be not totally committed to catching the perpetrators in the Sherman's deaths?
Would business interests supersede the quest for justice?

The only way I could see that happening would be the 'owners' who were the trustees, had a self-interest in the crime not being solved.
Curious now, it is no longer APOTEX who own the data, wondering if anything will be shared with the public If the new owner finds details related to the murders. I assume the financials were reviewed by the buying company with many lawyers involved and in a business like this they keep data for a long time, drug trials info must have some rules about how long to keep the data, some rules can be 7 to 10 years or more.

A later article confirmed it was the side door.
However it could be confusing if the lock box is located at the side door that is where the agent should enter, but then have the potential buyers enter from the front door Is the protocol.

some lock boxes are located on fences or garage doors, but those are for the agent not necessarily that the buyers go through a garage to enter.

The only article I read was that the visiting agent let the selling agent in the side door. The housekeeper let the buying agent and buyers in the home. No door was stated how they entered.

can you share this article you recall for me please.

thanks
Actually, that's what I was thinking, it was the selling realtor that entered the side door.

2020 re post
''Macatangay collected the paper, and the mail, and she and the trainer walked to the side door. It was locked. Macatangay used her key and was surprised to find the alarm system was off. As she later told police, it was always armed when she arrived. Honey’s aging gold Lexus SUV was in its regular spot by the side door.
Around the same time, a white van from a furnace company showed up. It was a regular service call by Allan Caruk. The 12,000-square-foot house had four furnaces. Caruk followed the housekeeper and trainer inside. He took his tools and went down to the furnace room in the cavernous basement.''

What is disheartening about this case is that they knew many people like family, friends, aquaintances, employees, etc. as was evident by the many people who attended their funeral services. However, it has been over 5.5 years and we don't really know if anything anyone has come out and said is really leading in the right direction in solving this case. You would hope that someone out of the thousands that they knew knows something. (Contrast this to the case of Sharin Morningstar Keenan where LE knows the killer as Dennis Melvyn Howe, but has been unable to find and catch him in over 40 years.)

It doesn't matter how many people know a couple, whether that's friends, family, acquaintances, business contacts or charity organizations, you can't expect any of them to be privy to details regarding the murder, especially when it looks like it could be a contracted hit with hints of familiarity. I would think, based on BS's 'take no prisoners' brand of industrial warfare in the drug business there are plenty of friends, family, acquaintances, business contacts and charity organizations who have their own theories, suspicions, and suspects just like us. The only thing I can safely say regarding these murders is that it definitely wasn't random.

However it could be confusing if the lock box is located at the side door that is where the agent should enter, but then have the potential buyers enter from the front door Is the protocol.

some lock boxes are located on fences or garage doors, but those are for the agent not necessarily that the buyers go through a garage to enter.
I am sure if the ES had arrived before the potential buyers she would have brought them through the front door

Who is 'they'? I am going with the norm that regardless how the agent enters the home, the whole point of an impressive front entrance and expansive foyer with skylights is that you let the prospective buyer see that first.

It appears, from the article linked above, that the real estate agent arrived before the prospective buyers and entered the home through the side door with other staff.

When the buyers arrived, she probably let them in the front door.

Re-reading KD's book to see if there's anything I missed (but mostly because it's a great read).

Someone recently made reference to a US tipster. I can't locate the post where this was stated, but was wondering what this is in reference to. Anybody? Thanks to any who can answer.

Re-reading KD's book to see if there's anything I missed (but mostly because it's a great read).

Someone recently made reference to a US tipster. I can't locate the post where this was stated, but was wondering what this is in reference to. Anybody? Thanks to any who can answer.
Cannot immediately locate the post, but there is a reference to a tip from the US in this article (although it is not likely to be the one you were looking for) nonetheless, fwiw..
2018 rbbm
''Over the years, Sherman’s foundations also took near-unprecedented advantage of a provision in the Tax Act that allows people running private foundations to donate cash to the foundation, receive a tax credit, then retain the use of that money by having the foundation lend it back to their business. At the time of the Shermans’ deaths, both the Apotex Foundation and the Sherman Foundation had 99 per cent of their assets—some $240 million, an all-time high—loaned out to Sherfam Inc., the holding company that controls Apotex, according to the foundations’ audited filings to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

For private foundations to loan out money to this extent is highly unusual. Of the more than 5,000 private foundations that filed taxes with the CRA for 2016, only 322 reported assets as “amounts receivable from non-arm’s-length persons.” Of those that did, Apotex Foundation ranked first and second in terms of percentage of assets extended as loans among foundations with assets of over $6 million. Kate Bahen, managing director of watchdog group Charity Intelligence, expresses outrage at the practice and says the law should be changed. “I have never seen anything like it before,” she says. “Barry Sherman was using his foundations as a piggy bank.”

''A year later, Sherman had a run-in with the FBI and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration over a mail-order scheme he ran with his brother-in-law, Allen Shechtman. It involved a Bahamas-based company, Medicine Club, mailing Apotex drugs, including generic Prozac, from Canada to half a million U.S. households without prescription. Medicine Club pleaded guilty to one count of illegal interstate commerce and was fined US$500,000 for selling drugs without approval; it was also forced to pay $339,000 for investigative costs. Authorities had been tipped off by U.S. drug manufacturers, entrenched Sherman foes.''

Are you thinking of the guy who allegedly found something on a hard drive that had been thrown out?

Are you thinking of the guy who allegedly found something on a hard drive that had been thrown out?
Thanks for linking this @Lexiintoronto.

Does KD go into this more on his “The Clintons Did It” bonus podcast? I haven’t listened to that one yet, because even though I subscribe to the Star I can’t figure out how to access it for free.

Thanks for linking this @Lexiintoronto.

Does KD go into this more on his “The Clintons Did It” bonus podcast? I haven’t listened to that one yet, because even though I subscribe to the Star I can’t figure out how to access it for free.
YW. Yes, it’s at approximately the 13:50 mark of this episode:

I had to sign in and refresh the page a few times in order to get it to play.

YW. Yes, it’s at approximately the 13:50 mark of this episode:

I had to sign in and refresh the page a few times in order to get it to play.
Your link worked. I finally was able to listen to this episode. Thank you!! Now… what to make of the “hard drive tipster”? My thought: likely not legit since nothing seems to be coming of it. Wouldn’t he be incentivized to try to claim his reward??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8