CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, in that episode, KD says some people communicate via “draft” emails (ie both people have access to the email account so the email drafts never need to be sent), because this is less traceable. But is it really less traceable? Wouldn’t people logging into the account also be traceable? IP addresses and so on?

Also, in that episode, KD says some people communicate via “draft” emails (ie both people have access to the email account so the email drafts never need to be sent), because this is less traceable. But is it really less traceable? Wouldn’t people logging into the account also be traceable? IP addresses and so on?

I had to google it— apparently it’s called ‘foldering’ and drug cartels and other criminals tend to use the method. It seems the IP address is difficult to track. One famous case here with a former CIA director.

(KD said the guy from the ‘warm country’ and the hard drive with the foldering emails ghosted him.)

Gone a little quiet. Sure would be nice if the TPS had an update and press conference near the anniversary of the Sherman's deaths in December.

How can we encourage the TPS to do that?
Unfortunately with only one officer on the case, and no new full time Head of Homicide that I can find ( TPS website still shows Idsinga as Head of Homicide even though he is effectively retired; an acting commander has been named but no permanent replacement) I have to believe those in charge of the TPS want to get as much distance as possible between themselves and this case. MOO

I vague remember, that B*den-Clay (WS case) communicated with his mistress via drafting emails .... When I searched for it, I found only the statement, he used an unknown account.

Gone a little quiet. Sure would be nice if the TPS had an update and press conference near the anniversary of the Sherman's deaths in December.

How can we encourage the TPS to do that?
If they need to stay quiet because they've got leads, I'm all for it. But I am starting to think this case is really cold. I wonder how much longer KD is going to write about it. He has his book and the podcasts, what more is there?

If they need to stay quiet because they've got leads, I'm all for it. But I am starting to think this case is really cold. I wonder how much longer KD is going to write about it. He has his book and the podcasts, what more is there?
I thought KD was going to court again in September to try to get more information released. Haven't heard a word about that. I subscribed to the Toronto Star and at $20.99 a month am wondering if it is worth it.

I see quite a lot of unsolved homicides from 2017 on the TPS page. Current Homicide Investigations- Toronto Police Service

I know this crime is unusual and therefore interesting to true crime followers, but I think some of these other victims should be acknowledged, if TPS are supposed to hold press conferences purely to mark the anniversary of murders...

If there are any shreds left of Sherman family feeling, maybe they might do it, but on the other hand, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to mark it as a special occasion.

JMO

I see quite a lot of unsolved homicides from 2017 on the TPS page. Current Homicide Investigations- Toronto Police Service

I know this crime is unusual and therefore interesting to true crime followers, but I think some of these other victims should be acknowledged, if TPS are supposed to hold press conferences purely to mark the anniversary of murders...

If there are any shreds left of Sherman family feeling, maybe they might do it, but on the other hand, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to mark it as a special occasion.

JMO

I have to believe some friends and family members still feel sadness over for the loss of the Sherman's. I do not think all those people who expressed great fondness for the couple, have no memories or feelings left.

Did not thousands attend the funeral? How about the thousands of people and organizations who benefited from the Sherman's philanthropy, do they not wish justice for the Sherman's?

I do understand that there are numerous other unsolved cases, and all victims in these cases have equal merit. However none of those cases received the same level of international attention or coverage.

I believe the TPS is working hard on the case, and probably have some ideas of who and what, but likely they still need some evidence. Would it not be a good time, (before the holiday rush) to remind the public of the case, go over the details, tell people about the reward, and ask for tips and or information that anybody might have.

A cold case I was familiar with, was solved several years after the fact, when a couple had a fight and ended their relationship. The male partner had previously disclosed to the female partner that he had been party to a robbery-murder several years before they had met. She then reported this to the Police, who then with this new information were able to lay charges and get convictions.

If the TPS does not want to have a press conference, maybe somebody close to the Sherman's would.

dbm. I had linked a radio program, but it’s not about the case. KD was recently on the Arlene Bynon show but he was talking about his latest article about car thefts, not the Sherman case.
Not sure if KD has moved on, I found this site, many Star articles all in one place. The last article was months ago, June 29th.

www.thestar.com/news/sherman-murders/

I remember he said the fall so I don't know if it was September.
This is from the Q@ and A The Sherman Murders: Kevin Donovan answered your questions about the final episode of ‘The Billionaire Murders’ podcast so he must have mentioned going to court in September in the final episode

RE
ReaderMAY 23, 2023
Hello Kevin, I had asked you about your interview with Jonathon and I enjoyed very much you giving us all the details of your encounter with him. This person was so cold with you and really not welcomming I feel You do not deserve that at all. I also realized how cold and distant this family was from each other, so sad indeed and all that seemed to matter was money for them. Keep up the good work and sending you + vibes in court
in September. We are all with you on this journey! Thanks again.
1 REPLY 4 0

• Reply by Kevin.​

KE
    KevinMMAY 23, 2023
    Reply to Reader
    Thanks very much, but really, I am always just happy to get an interview. It does speak volumes about how a family was brought up.
    1 0

'' Just months before he was killed, he partnered with a prominent Toronto developer to provide $61.5 million in financing for the most buzzed-about condominium project in the country: The One, an 85-storey structure to be built at the corner of Yonge and Bloor.''

''October 19, 2023
The One, an 85-storey luxury condo building at the corner of Bloor and Yonge streets, has been placed into receivership.
Consulting firm Alvarez & Marsal Canada Inc. will receive all assets from the project.
The receivership follows a string of problems for the condo, including a lawsuit from Apple Inc. due to construction delays that affected the tech company’s ability to open a new flagship store on the condo’s ground floor. Court documents from the receivership application suggest that Apple has pulled out of the project completely due to construction delays.''

'' Just months before he was killed, he partnered with a prominent Toronto developer to provide $61.5 million in financing for the most buzzed-about condominium project in the country: The One, an 85-storey structure to be built at the corner of Yonge and Bloor.''

''October 19, 2023
The One, an 85-storey luxury condo building at the corner of Bloor and Yonge streets, has been placed into receivership.
Consulting firm Alvarez & Marsal Canada Inc. will receive all assets from the project.
The receivership follows a string of problems for the condo, including a lawsuit from Apple Inc. due to construction delays that affected the tech company’s ability to open a new flagship store on the condo’s ground floor. Court documents from the receivership application suggest that Apple has pulled out of the project completely due to construction delays.''

Wow. Barry basically saved the project in 2017 because he brought other investors with him when he made that loan.

Wow. Barry basically saved the project in 2017 because he brought other investors with him when he made that loan.
Lexiintoronto, I’m not sure I understand, but maybe I missed something in the article. Are you suggesting that BS did something virtuous or generous or heroic by investing in The One real estate
project?

Jmo, but I doubt that BS’s investment in The One was out of the goodness of his heart. My guess is he probably received an outsized equity position for investing in a project that was already beginning to show signs of being behind schedule and over budget. I don’t give him points for that.

The impression I’ve gotten from more recent reading re: The One is that the project has been grossly mismanaged from the start - resulting in multi-year delays and huge cost overruns. I read that they’re now hoping it’ll be complete sometime in 2025 - 8 plus years - at a cost of over a billion dollars.

Again, maybe I missed something. I just don’t see how BS “saved” anything. I do know this: if I were a contractor or subcontractor on the project and found out that BS had just become an investor/owner, I’d have tried to back out asap (or started lining up attorneys!).

All jmo

Lexiintoronto, I’m not sure I understand, but maybe I missed something in the article. Are you suggesting that BS did something virtuous or generous or heroic by investing in The One real estate
project?

Jmo, but I doubt that BS’s investment in The One was out of the goodness of his heart. My guess is he probably received an outsized equity position for investing in a project that was already beginning to show signs of being behind schedule and over budget. I don’t give him points for that.

The impression I’ve gotten from more recent reading re: The One is that the project has been grossly mismanaged from the start - resulting in multi-year delays and huge cost overruns. I read that they’re now hoping it’ll be complete sometime in 2025 - 8 plus years - at a cost of over a billion dollars.

Again, maybe I missed something. I just don’t see how BS “saved” anything. I do know this: if I were a contractor or subcontractor on the project and found out that BS had just become an investor/owner, I’d have tried to back out asap (or started lining up attorneys!).

All jmo

I don’t know what his motives were, but Jack Kay said Barry didn’t want Mizrahi to lose the project. He was apparently friends with Mizrahi and drew in other investors to finance the project when it was in trouble in 2017. (I’m surprised because Barry corralled investors and now the project is in even greater trouble.) From KD’s book:
80B11ECF-2EFD-46BD-BA01-4F5F094DB1B4.png3C95E5CC-BDA8-46BB-987D-961D9C502DA3.pngDCB9C803-55CA-45DF-ADAA-F7C03ACC8B8B.png92CC3358-1F18-4F5B-BDD9-4066495AC6D8.png

Last edited:
My understanding, and it needs verification, was that Barry invested in the project lead by Sam Mizrahi. Sam is of Iranian descent and Jewish, and his family came to Canada when Sam was six years old, two years before the Iranian revolution.

The benefit of having Barry involved besides his money, was the cachet of his name associated with the project.

At one time Barry through a company he controlled, provided a second mortgage for $61.5 at 13%. I cannot find any media reports, but I think Barry withdrew this funding at some point, and there could have been some bad-blood between Mizrahi and Barry. I just do not know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8