CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting idea! Would the police coordinate with them to execute a warrant? Or would they be more like to surprise them?

(!!) You were right in suggesting the police coordinated with the target in executing the search warrant:

“When Yim arrived at the target office, the interchange took less than five minutes. A person handed over a computer storage device packed with 14,801 electronic files. This was not a true search. This was a handover agreed upon through advance discussion.”

Dec 14 '23 rbbm.
“It’s absolutely ridiculous,” said one investigator with knowledge of the case. “How on earth can this be solved without knowing absolutely everything?”
For example, way back at the start of the investigation, the Sherman camp quickly gave police the files on Barry’s deals with one businessman in particular, and Barry’s acrimonious dispute with four members of his own family.
Not so with Barry’s code-named offshore trusts and certain megadeals, including one valued at well over a billion dollars.''

“Give them the D’Angelo stuff and the Winter stuff,” was how one insider recalled those deliberations, a reference to Barry’s investments with businessman Frank D’Angelo and Barry’s long-standing dispute with Kerry Winter and his siblings. The Winters had sued Barry for $1 billion, and just before the murders a judge ruled they had no case — ending the acrimonious lawsuit.
Even if there were elements that were legally privileged, it was decided that privilege would be waived and this information should be handed over to police, according to interviews and documents.
However, other information was held back, including some of the information related to Barry’s offshore holdings in the Bahamas and documents that detailed one of Barry’s biggest investments — in Edmonton businessman Darryl Katz’s empire. Barry had provided funding that helped Katz grow Rexall Drugs.''

Two mysteries possibly cleared up in today’s article. Why did KD previously mention Portugal as one of the foreign countries the TPS were seeking information from, and why were the police specifically targeting data, call and tracking information for cell phone users in and around the month of July of 2017?

“For the next year, Barry paid Liss a “monthly stipend” (the police documents do now say how much). Those payments ended in July 2017. Liss and Jonathon had long since broken up (Jonathon had married Fred Mercure), but remained friends. Liss told police he felt “betrayed” at the way he was treated by Barry, having thought of the Sherman patriarch as a mentor and the Shermans as “family.” Honey, he told police, never liked him. Liss said Honey thought “he made Jonathon gay,” a sentiment Liss said was shared by his own mother.
Liss, who now lives in a countryside villa in Portugal and travels the world as “ThePamperedNomad” according to his Instagram page, did not respond to a request for an interview for this story. Previously, he told the Star, “Jon and I are on amicable terms, and like back then, we just want what’s best for each other.””

There may be other reasons Portugal is involved and why the police were looking at users’ cell phone activity in July, 2017, but these are some of the first specific references to those two items that I’ve noticed.

ETA: 1702571317400.png
Screenshot from link in my previous post.

Last edited:
Did not notice FM's comment before, very curious as to who he considered worthy of being investigated..
2021 rbbm
''There are extensive redactions in this part of the police documents — the names of at least three men who separately knew their father and the children’s theories as to why they were involved.
Jonathon gave two sworn statements. In one he said “there are people out there who would have a grudge against them and would have a reason to hurt them.” Jonathon’s husband of three years, Fred Mercure, also suggested a name of someone to investigate.''

“It was Barry’s dream that Jonathon would take over Apotex but Jonathon had his own dreams,” Liss told police. As with many parts of these search warrant documents, police do not explain why these statements are included. Neither Liss nor Mercure have responded to interview requests from the Star over the past several years.
As to his relationship with Barry and Honey, Andrew told police he respected Barry but “Honey did not like him because Honey thought Andrew made Jonathon gay.” The business collapsed, Jonathon and Andrew broke up, Andrew recalled and he felt “betrayed because he considered (the Shermans) as family.”

''Liss said the information in the police documents are “none of anyone’s business.” He said “Jon is a great, caring, and sensitive person who doesn’t deserve any of what’s going on” and “he deserves better and so did his parents.”

Two mysteries possibly cleared up in today’s article. Why did KD previously mention Portugal as one of the foreign countries the TPS were seeking information from, and why were the police specifically targeting data, call and tracking information for cell phone users in and around the month of July of 2017?

“For the next year, Barry paid Liss a “monthly stipend” (the police documents do now say how much). Those payments ended in July 2017. Liss and Jonathon had long since broken up (Jonathon had married Fred Mercure), but remained friends. Liss told police he felt “betrayed” at the way he was treated by Barry, having thought of the Sherman patriarch as a mentor and the Shermans as “family.” Honey, he told police, never liked him. Liss said Honey thought “he made Jonathon gay,” a sentiment Liss said was shared by his own mother.
Liss, who now lives in a countryside villa in Portugal and travels the world as “ThePamperedNomad” according to his Instagram page, did not respond to a request for an interview for this story. Previously, he told the Star, “Jon and I are on amicable terms, and like back then, we just want what’s best for each other.””

There may be other reasons Portugal is involved and why the police were looking at users’ cell phone activity in July, 2017, but these are some of the first specific references to those two items that I’ve noticed.

ETA: View attachment 467939

Sorry—it’s too late to edit my post. I should have said KD suggested Portugal as possibly being one of the foreign countries the TPS was searching for information related to the case.

I think it was in one of his Q & As that he singled out Portugal.

Sorry—it’s too late to edit my post. I should have said KD suggested Portugal as possibly being one of the foreign countries the TPS was searching for information related to the case.

I think it was in one of his Q & As that he singled out Portugal.
It was mentioned here by F Poulet

I am irritated by the interference by the family etc. who were so quick to hand off any info pertaining to FDA and the cousins. Did they think those two parties truly were involved or did they send the cops on a wild goose chase so that they didn't look at who really did it? Innocent people who want murder resolved give as much info as possible.

I'm so glad KD is still on this. If not for him, nobody else would be talking about it.

ETA: View attachment 467939
Does it appear that AL is currently a potential suspect according to what can be noted from all of this?

Or maybe it implies that he knows a great deal about what happened in the Sherman House that fateful night. IMO
I agree. I think this article is actually pretty scathing towards JS without actually naming him. AL was barely mentioned throughout this, MS went to the cops (did we know this before?) to tell them things she thought were important and the "family" feeding FDA and the cousins to the cops. Looking forward to part 2.

Friday, December 15, 2023
''The family and friends of Barry and Honey Sherman pointed fingers at two people in the early days of the investigation: Kerry Winter and Frank D’Angelo. They did so even while police were still pursuing a murder-suicide theory.
“That’s what a lot of people were saying,” said a Sherman insider. “It was either Kerry or Frank who were somehow involved.”

''One batch of documents police have never seen relates to one of Barry’s biggest investments — with Darryl Katz of Edmonton. Katz is well known as the owner of the Edmonton Oilers and, until 2016, Rexall Drugs.

Documents the Star has seen show Barry had a significant investment (more than 50 per cent) in the Katz drug empire. Katz sold Rexall to an American company, McKesson, in 2016 for about $3 billion, and Barry’s investment was paid back.
All information related to this transaction has been kept from police, according to sources and documents. The Sherman executors determined that it was all “privileged.”

''The family and friends of Barry and Honey Sherman pointed fingers at two people in the early days of the investigation: Kerry Winter and Frank D’Angelo. They did so even while police were still pursuing a murder-suicide theory.
“That’s what a lot of people were saying,” said a Sherman insider. “It was either Kerry or Frank who were somehow involved.”

''One batch of documents police have never seen relates to one of Barry’s biggest investments — with Darryl Katz of Edmonton. Katz is well known as the owner of the Edmonton Oilers and, until 2016, Rexall Drugs.

Documents the Star has seen show Barry had a significant investment (more than 50 per cent) in the Katz drug empire. Katz sold Rexall to an American company, McKesson, in 2016 for about $3 billion, and Barry’s investment was paid back.
All information related to this transaction has been kept from police, according to sources and documents. The Sherman executors determined that it was all “privileged.”
Is there anywhere to read this article without a subscription?

Troubling to me is this information about AG. (Quote from the article you linked.):

“In just one example, Glasenberg told detectives during his interview on Dec. 29, 2017 that, to the best of his knowledge, “Barry does not owe anyone any money.”
Yet just two months before the murders, Glasenberg sent a stiffly worded email to Barry warning him that his company was in dire straits due to Barry’s financial decisions. Glasenberg told Barry that his behaviour would cause the bank to “call the loan immediately.” Apotex, he said, needed to address its problems. “The company is insolvent and will have a going concern note.””

A new piece of information is that Jonathon’s holding company Hour Investments is located right next to Sherfam.

Last edited:
Troubling to me is this information about AG. (Quote from the article you linked.):

“In just one example, Glasenberg told detectives during his interview on Dec. 29, 2017 that, to the best of his knowledge, “Barry does not owe anyone any money.”
Yet just two months before the murders, Glasenberg sent a stiffly worded email to Barry warning him that his company was in dire straits due to Barry’s financial decisions. Glasenberg told Barry that his behaviour would cause the bank to “call the loan immediately.” Apotex, he said, needed to address its problems. “The company is insolvent and will have a going concern note.””

A new piece of information is that Jonathon’s holding company Hour Investments is located right next to Sherfam.
Alex and Jack had informal meetings with Barry where they had tried to convince Barry, who was stubborn, to sell the company.

Alex spoke with Joanne MOREAU and spoke with BAXSTER trying to think of who could have done something like this and they could not think of anyone. Barry was non-confrontational and used lawyers. Barry seemed to tell Jack everything that was on the books and he did not own anyone money. Barry was spending billions on expanding Apotex as there was a plant being built in Florida. Alex had suggested to Barry, that he could sell the company and Barry said he would in 5 years. There could have been stress over the state of the company but Barry never showed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member