CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"We are so grateful to the Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation for their transformational gift," said Alicia Vandermeer, President & CEO of SHN Foundation. "The philanthropy of Honey & Barry Sherman is profound, and we're honoured to be part of their ongoing legacy. This donation will help our talented healthcare teams diagnose and treat various medical conditions in the Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation Interventional Radiology Suite, including cancer, heart disease, and stroke."
Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation donates $1 million to Scarborough Health Network to innovate diagnostic imaging

"We are so grateful to the Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation for their transformational gift," said Alicia Vandermeer, President & CEO of SHN Foundation. "The philanthropy of Honey & Barry Sherman is profound, and we're honoured to be part of their ongoing legacy. This donation will help our talented healthcare teams diagnose and treat various medical conditions in the Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation Interventional Radiology Suite, including cancer, heart disease, and stroke."
Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation donates $1 million to Scarborough Health Network to innovate diagnostic imaging
Gift announcement ad thanking the Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation for their $1 million donation to Scarborough Health Network. (CNW Group/Scarborough Health Network Foundation)

''Gift announcement ad thanking the Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation for their $1 million donation to Scarborough Health Network. (CNW Group/Scarborough Health Network Foundation)

"For over 40 years, my parents, Honey and Barry were committed philanthropists. They believed that they had a duty to help others by focusing on organizations that improve the lives of people. I am honoured to continue their legacy with this gift to support equitable, accessible healthcare for people living in Scarborough and the surrounding communities," said daughter Alexandra Krawczyk, who leads the Honey & Barry Legacy Foundation.''

'This gift will enable SHN to create the new Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation Interventional Radiology Suite within the state-of-the-art Diagnostic Imaging Department at SHN's General Hospital, which is scheduled to open in late 2024.'

Gift announcement ad thanking the Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation for their $1 million donation to Scarborough Health Network. (CNW Group/Scarborough Health Network Foundation)

''Gift announcement ad thanking the Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation for their $1 million donation to Scarborough Health Network. (CNW Group/Scarborough Health Network Foundation)

"For over 40 years, my parents, Honey and Barry were committed philanthropists. They believed that they had a duty to help others by focusing on organizations that improve the lives of people. I am honoured to continue their legacy with this gift to support equitable, accessible healthcare for people living in Scarborough and the surrounding communities," said daughter Alexandra Krawczyk, who leads the Honey & Barry Legacy Foundation.''

'This gift will enable SHN to create the new Honey & Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation Interventional Radiology Suite within the state-of-the-art Diagnostic Imaging Department at SHN's General Hospital, which is scheduled to open in late 2024.'
As a proud born and raised Scarboroughnian, thank you to the family.

A witness statement referred to in several of the ITOs suggests that the painter's boss visited at 2 PM on Tuesday, December 12, 2017, at which time it was mentioned the painter would return on Monday, December 18, 2017.

It stands to reason that the painter or his boss would inform the homeowner that a window would be left open to air out the room being worked on in the basement and it would be prudent for someone to close this window later that evening on December 12, 2017 or the next day on December 13, 2017. Obviously, the painter and his boss would be concerned that failing to close the window could allow cold air and moisture into the room and damage the fresh paint.

Sidebar: It should be noted that the ADT alarm that 50 Old Colony was equipped with, would likely remain operational, even with the basement window open. I'm inclined to think the basement was divided into multiple protection zones and the area where the window was left open would be automatically shunted when the alarm was activated - therefore only this zone would be left unprotected.
Just had a thought, were any of the 20 showings done after the painters left? maybe the window was closed and the paint smell was bad so a real estate rep opened it and forgot to close or tell anyone.

IMO the window open is of no part of the murders. No reports of any kind, nor mentioned in warrant requests for any shoe sizes regarding foot prints outside by the window nor any wet now dried foot prints inside the room, no damage to fresh paint on wall from someone dressed for -20 weather climbing through a window? Just a few reasons why I think so.

Just had a thought, were any of the 20 showings done after the painters left? maybe the window was closed and the paint smell was bad so a real estate rep opened it and forgot to close or tell anyone.

IMO the window open is of no part of the murders. No reports of any kind, nor mentioned in warrant requests for any shoe sizes regarding foot prints outside by the window nor any wet now dried foot prints inside the room, no damage to fresh paint on wall from someone dressed for -20 weather climbing through a window? Just a few reasons why I think so.
My mention of the window being left open was to ask if it’s possible a window or door can be left open and it would not affect the alarm being armed and disarmed.
I’m not really familiar with how alarm systems work.

My mention of the window being left open was to ask if it’s possible a window or door can be left open and it would not affect the alarm being armed and disarmed.
I’m not really familiar with how alarm systems work.
With my experience my answer is yes. With older systems, Windows and doors need “contacts” installed, when the contact is not in place / broken (connectors touching each other) these are what trigger an alarm.

If the window did not have contacts it is not part of the alarm monitoring.

Also you can exclude a zone or set of contacts from the control pad.

Most systems will not allow you to set “arm” the alarm if any of these contacts are not in place/secure.

I asked years ago if we will ever know if this window was monitored with the alarm system. I also wondered if the real estate agents had a code to use or was someone always in the home or was the system disarmed completely once showings started?

I can’t think that the wallet was staged to look untouched when her phone was not, and neither were Barry’s items. They appeared left as though accosted/interrupted, scattered on the floor in unusual spots.
But who knows, maybe everything was staged. But would someone go to the trouble of staging their items, but not setting the alarm as they left? Who would or could do some of those things, if done, but not others? All imo, but share your thoughts please, people. I’d like to hear what you think.
You raise a point I have not theorized about before, what if BS items were staged too, he did not drop them at the door.

I often get a flash of Hansel and Gretel, leaving a trail to the pool room. Not sure if the trail (staging) covered all three floors and all the items about, or just the bodies in the pool room?

You raise a point I have not theorized about before, what if BS items were staged too, he did not drop them at the door.

I often get a flash of Hansel and Gretel, leaving a trail to the pool room. Not sure if the trail (staging) covered all three floors and all the items about, or just the bodies in the pool room?
Not sure why, but have always thought that the items were staged to 'tell a story', or as you put it, lead to the horror, speculation.

With my experience my answer is yes. With older systems, Windows and doors need “contacts” installed, when the contact is not in place / broken (connectors touching each other) these are what trigger an alarm.

If the window did not have contacts it is not part of the alarm monitoring.

Also you can exclude a zone or set of contacts from the control pad.

Most systems will not allow you to set “arm” the alarm if any of these contacts are not in place/secure.

I asked years ago if we will ever know if this window was monitored with the alarm system. I also wondered if the real estate agents had a code to use or was someone always in the home or was the system disarmed completely once showings started?
They would have had a code, imo. There was at least one showing where no one was present except for the clients and their agent. So I think it was like other common listings where the real estate office knew at least one code.

Re. the window. KD said the screen was intact and no sign anyone went through it. I’m wondering if it played a factor in maybe drawing Honey downstairs.

The open window in the room being painted in the basement of 50 Old Colony Rd. on December 12, 2017, was likely not used by the killer or killers to enter or exit the premises but it certainly could have been significant in the events leading up to the homicides.

It would have been prudent for the homeowner to close the basement window, especially at night:

1) To protect the fresh paint from exposure to destructive winter temperatures and humidity, and,

2) To permit the full use of the ADT Home Security System without compromising the perimeter security of the residence.

For these reasons, it is possible that Honey Sherman (H.S), or someone acting upon her request, entered the basement for the purposes of closing or opening this window on one or more occasion, on or about the day before the homicides, and/or the day of the actual homicides. It is possible someone else adjusted this window after the homicides occurred but before the bodies were discovered.

This gives rise to the possibility that:

A) If the basement window remained opened and this prevented the security system from being fully enabled in the early evening of December 13, 2017, when H.S. went to Apotex for a 5PM meeting with builders, the killer or killers could have entered 50 Old Colony during this time and then waited comfortably for hours for her to arrive home between 8 and 9 PM from Apotex and shopping.

B) If H.S. visited this basement room to adjust the basement window on the evening of December 13, 2017, she would have put herself in the lower level where her body was later found and the killer or killers would not need to carry her down a flight of stairs.

C) Alternatively, if someone else was acting upon the request of Honey Sherman to drop by 50 Old Colony in the evening hours of December 13, 2017 to adjust the basement window, it is possible that H.S. voluntarily gave access to the residence to the very person or persons who killed her and her husband.

It is noteworthy that Ito_#12,_Appendix_D_(2020_09_01), pages 91-93, discloses particulars about the ADT Security System at 50 Old Colony.

If I successfully guess-thru the ITO redactions, there appears to have been 12 zones in this setup, and on December 13, 2017, the alarm was:

1) Deactivated at 8:10 AM (likely part of the Sherman morning routine),
2) Activated at 4:34 PM (likely due to Honey Sherman leaving for her meeting at Apotex at 5PM),
3) REDACTED but likely Deactivated between 8 and 9 PM upon Honey Sherman's return to 50 Old Colony).

While looking through the police court documents are there any statements from KW, FDA, AP or JS?
To this date I have never heard any reports or interviews with or about AP. We know very little about him. Possibly these have never been released to the public, even KD has not spoken much about AP?

For the others I have read many posts with details of interviewers, questioned, but cannot say if they all are court documents.

To this date I have never heard any reports or interviews with or about AP. We know very little about him. Possibly these have never been released to the public, even KD has not spoken much about AP?

For the others I have read many posts with details of interviewers, questioned, but cannot say if they all are court documents.
KW, FDA & JS all were interviewed by the police. Part of JS’s statements are unredacted in the court records. KD believes statements and information about KW & FDA are in the affidavits but are redacted. There’s just one reference to KW and it’s regarding a Bloomsberg article.

We don’t know if AP has spoken with the police. There’s nothing unredacted about AP in the affidavits but it stands to reason he’s mentioned. Especially the last affidavit about Sherfam-related business, imo.

It's mentioned in several iterations of the ITOs (Information to Obtain a Search Warrant). Do you know a link for that collection?

There is a company mentioned, "Father and Sons" which was there, from what I understand, to do some repairs. I'm not sure if this particular company was involved in painting the basement room where the window was found partially open on December 15, 2017. <modsnip>
This is the only place I know of for the ITOs:
Police's court documents for the Barry and Honey Sherman murder case: All in one place

I haven’t looked through them all but I’m assuming you got your information from one or more of them. Thanks for raising this.

Below is a speculative and hypothetical scenario that could have occurred leading up to the death of Honey Sherman (H.S) on December 13, 2017, based on the 'dots' of factual information that have been shared publicly.

FACT: ADT Security System at 50 Old Colony was activated at 4:34 PM on December 13, 2017 .

FACT: ADT Security System logged activity after 4:34 PM. Specifics are redacted by Toronto Police.

FACT: H.S.’s cell phone was found on the floor near the front door and powder room. Her body was found in the lower-level swimming pool room on December 13, 2017. She had minor injuries to her face. A black belt was placed around her neck. Autopsy showed the cause of death was ligature neck compression.

FACT: Ligature neck compression causes death by restricting the return flow of ‘blue blood’ from the head area through the jugular vein and by restricting the flow of ‘freshly oxygenated blood’ to the head area through the carotid artery. To be fatal, the ligature can be placed almost anywhere around the neck and it is not necessary to interfere with the victim’s airway. Essentially, the victim dies, not from choking, but from a massive stroke.

SPECULATIVE SCENARIO A:

It is likely that H.S. set the alarm at 4:34 PM on February 13, 2017, as she headed to Apotex at 150 Signet Drive, for a 5 PM meeting.

It is possible that H.S. deactivated the alarm between 8 and 9 PM on December 13, 2017, upon her return to 50 Old Colony after her 5 PM meeting at Apotex, after a 6:21 PM cell phone call, and after shopping at Bayview Village.

H.S. entered 50 Old Colony at the front side entrance. At this time, she saw the black belt on a bench that she forgot about, that she originally intended to return to Canadian Tire after her Apotex meeting. She decided she would keep the belt with her jacket, so she’d remember to return it on Thursday, December 14, 2024.

She proceeded to walk to the kitchen and as she did so, she heard the front doorbell ring, followed by a gentle knock. She wasn’t expecting anyone but did not perceive a threat, so she turned on the front porch lights and opened the front door.

H.S. felt safe so invited the visitor or visitors inside her home. Either she recognized the visitor or visitors, or they provided a credible explanation as to why they were there.

Shortly after the front doors were closed and locked H.S. was snagged around the neck by the visitor or visitors and instructed not to panic and she would not be harmed. She resisted and was immediately placed in a head lock, while the snare was more securely fastened. The use of the headlock slightly bruised her cheek and lip. The visitor or visitors removed the phone and belt from her grasp and placed the phone on the floor but held onto the belt. H.S. then complied and her hands were bound with zip ties in front of her. She was then forced to walk to the lower-level swimming pool room.

H.S. was killed in the lower-level pool room by the implement used to originally snare her near the front door and powder room. When first applied, the snare was not fully tightened. Upon reaching her final destination at the far end of the pool, she was asked to sit against the wall and the visitor or visitors pulled the snare tight. The murder weapon featured a self-latching mechanism much like a wolf snare and so there was no need to hold it in place. The actual weapon was not likely a hunter’s tool but probably a 3–4-foot heavy duty zip tie, readily purchased at any hardware store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is a speculative and hypothetical scenario that could have occurred leading up to the death of Honey Sherman (H.S) on February 13, 2017, based on the 'dots' of factual information that have been shared publicly.

FACT: ADT Security System at 50 Old Colony was activated at 4:34 PM on February 13, 2017.

FACT: ADT Security System logged activity after 4:34 PM. Specifics are redacted by Toronto Police.

FACT: H.S.’s cell phone was found on the floor near the front door and powder room. Her body was found in the lower-level swimming pool room on February 15, 2017. She had minor injuries to her face. A black belt was placed around her neck. Autopsy showed the cause of death was ligature neck compression.

FACT: Ligature neck compression causes death by restricting the return flow of ‘blue blood’ from the head area through the jugular vein and by restricting the flow of ‘freshly oxygenated blood’ to the head area through the carotid artery. To be fatal, the ligature can be placed almost anywhere around the neck and it is not necessary to interfere with the victim’s airway. Essentially, the victim dies, not from choking, but from a massive stroke.

SPECULATIVE SCENARIO A:

It is likely that H.S. set the alarm at 4:34 PM on February 13, 2017, as she headed to Apotex at 150 Signet Drive, for a 5 PM meeting.

It is possible that H.S. deactivated the alarm between 8 and 9 PM on February 13, 2017, upon her return to 50 Old Colony after her 5 PM meeting at Apotex, after a 6:21 PM cell phone call, and after shopping at Bayview Village.

H.S. entered 50 Old Colony at the front side entrance. At this time, she saw the black belt on a bench that she forgot about, that she originally intended to return to Canadian Tire after her Apotex meeting. She decided she would keep the belt with her jacket, so she’d remember to return it on Thursday, December 14, 2024.

She proceeded to walk to the kitchen and as she did so, she heard the front doorbell ring, followed by a gentle knock. She wasn’t expecting anyone but did not perceive a threat, so she turned on the front porch lights and opened the front door.

H.S. felt safe so invited the visitor or visitors inside her home. Either she recognized the visitor or visitors, or they provided a credible explanation as to why they were there.

Shortly after the front doors were closed and locked H.S. was snagged around the neck by the visitor or visitors and instructed not to panic and she would not be harmed. She resisted and was immediately placed in a head lock, while the snare was more securely fastened. The use of the headlock slightly bruised her cheek and lip. The visitor or visitors removed the phone and belt from her grasp and placed the phone on the floor but held onto the belt. H.S. then complied and her hands were bound with zip ties in front of her. She was then forced to walk to the lower-level swimming pool room.

H.S. was killed in the lower-level pool room by the implement used to originally snare her near the front door and powder room. When first applied, the snare was not fully tightened. Upon reaching her final destination at the far end of the pool, she was asked to sit against the wall and the visitor or visitors pulled the snare tight. The murder weapon featured a self-latching mechanism much like a wolf snare and so there was no need to hold it in place. The actual weapon was not likely a hunter’s tool but probably a 3–4-foot heavy duty zip tie, readily purchased at any hardware store.
Much of this scenario is plausible, or at least not directly contradicted by the information we have, but the person did not enter through the front door. There is no footage of the murderer entering the house. The Walking Man, who the police believe to be the murderer, went into an area not covered by cameras. The front door is captured on video from the house across the street, so that entryway was not used.

Much of this scenario is plausible, or at least not directly contradicted by the information we have, but the person did not enter through the front door. There is no footage of the murderer entering the house. The Walking Man, who the police believe to be the murderer, went into an area not covered by cameras. The front door is captured on video from the house across the street, so that entryway was not used.
I do not believe that the front door was captured by the neighbours camera. I believe the front of the driveway was on camera, but if the neighbours camera actually was able to film the Sherman’s front door then LE would know from the video whether the mystery visitor to the house on Thursday actually entered the house. And the info we have is inconclusive as to whether that person actually went inside. Therefore we can assume the door wasn’t captured on camera.

I do not believe that the front door was captured by the neighbours camera. I believe the front of the driveway was on camera, but if the neighbours camera actually was able to film the Sherman’s front door then LE would know from the video whether the mystery visitor to the house on Thursday actually entered the house. And the info we have is inconclusive as to whether that person actually went inside. Therefore we can assume the door wasn’t captured on camera.
Here’s the description from Donovan’s reporting: Barry and Honey Sherman: The first 48 hours are crucial in a homicide. The police acted like they were in no rush

The couple had viewed some of the video and had noticed that on the Thursday, the day before the bodies were discovered and one day after the Shermans were last seen alive, a dark, four-door car drove west on Old Colony Road at 9:11 a.m., and parked on the street out front of the Sherman residence. They watched the grainy footage as a man got out of the car, and walked back and forth to the Sherman front door.
The couple recorded the time codes and in total the man appeared to enter the house three times, for a total of 29 minutes inside the house. Finally, he returned to his car and drove off west. The couple could not make out the man’s face or the licence and style of car.
It is possible, say others who later saw the video, that the man only stood outside the door, not entering the Sherman house.

I’ve seen several news stories about this footage; some are more direct about this than others, but my understanding is that because of the way the front door is built into the front of the house (photo at link) it is not possible to confirm whether this man actually entered the home through that door on Thursday, or simply waited near the door for those three periods of time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back