PA - infant Leon Katz murdered, twin injured, allegedly by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
...In the case of LK, the bouncer could have been on a table or counter. I didn't see anything in the PCA about where the bouncer was, just that the seat measured 18 inches from the floor. If the bouncer was on the floor, then yeah, a skull fracture is not consistent with that. But if it were placed on a table or counter, that's different...​

I thought the same-- what if that bounce seat, Moses basket, bassinet, whatever it ends up being, was on a higher surface. The injuries to the baby's head would be much more damaging. The injuries would probably be in a different location of the head and be a lot worst in severity.

We still do not know if she had infant care experience or if she was inept, inexperienced sitter trying to help out.
My own imaginings here-- She admitted to falling asleep while LK was still in the seat. She must've been possibly exhausted, experiencing jet lag, a long day with the family, not expecting to still be there so late, but ended up alone with LK. Heck, she isn't normally in charge of caring for babies. They were still at the hospital with AK. What was taking them so long? Is it possible she made some other stupid negligent mistake she didn't want to admit to?

What if she lied saying the baby seat was on the floor, but it was really on a table? She might've thought she would be blamed for being criminally negligent so she said floor, but...

Would she stick to a lie? See, that's where I doubt she would stick to the floor story. She was questioned (interrogated) by LE enough that if she was lying about the baby seat being on the floor she should've broke and told the truth because now it's much worse than criminally negligent charges.

All MOO and my own pondering thoughts.

I thought the same-- what if that bounce seat, Moses basket, bassinet, whatever it ends up being, was on a higher surface. The injuries to the baby's head would be much more damaging. The injuries would probably be in a different location of the head and be a lot worst in severity.

We still do not know if she had infant care experience or if she was inept, inexperienced sitter trying to help out. My own imaginings here-- She admitted to falling asleep while LK was still in the seat. She must've been possibly exhausted, experiencing jet lag, a long day with the family, not expecting to still be there so late, but ended up alone with LK. Heck, she isn't normally in charge of caring for babies. They were still at the hospital with AK. What was taking them so long? Is it possible she made some other stupid negligent mistake she didn't want to admit to?

What if she lied saying the baby seat was on the floor, but it was really on a table? She might've thought she would be blamed for being criminally negligent so she said floor, but...

Would she stick to a lie? See, that's where I doubt she would stick to the floor story. She was questioned (interrogated) by LE enough that if she was lying about the baby seat being on the floor she should've broke and told the truth because now it's much worse than criminally negligent charges.

If that was in fact the case, that the bouncer seat was high up on a table but she was afraid to admit that, hopefully that information will come out in talks between her and her attorneys. Perhaps it already has, as her attorney did state that there was information that the public doesn’t know about.

Curioser and curioser. When this story first broke I was ready to execute NV myself. The more info comes out - and the more my logical brain takes over my primal instinct - the more I am baffled. This is one case where I can't find Occam"s Razor.
I very much experienced the same, and you’re correct: Even Occam’s Razor is difficult to apply here!

A thought just popped in my head...

It has been questioned that such injuries to babies would probably cause wailing/crying...
I wonder about this, too.

Perhaps the babies were drugged in some way?

I know there has been no mention of this in MSM...

But... could this be a possibility?

Just a thought...

A thought just popped in my head...

It has been questioned that such injuries to babies would probably cause wailing/crying...
I wonder about this, too.

Perhaps the babies were drugged in some way?

I know there has been no mention of this in MSM...

But... could this be a possibility?

Just a thought...
This would only be likely if she intentionally hurt the babies, and with premeditation. And likely only the first baby. Presumably the hospital officials would have noted if he seemed drugged.

This would only be likely if she intentionally hurt the babies, and with premeditation. And likely only the first baby. Presumably the hospital officials would have noted if he seemed drugged.

I am wondering if possibly the doctors DID recognize drugging...
And this is why the P seems so adamant in his claims of criminality.

Of course...
We are not privy to all information...

I am not saying NV is guilty... at this juncture...

But am just considering different scenarios...

ALL... JMO...

I’m guessing a reclined glider/bouncer - example below. Not a “bounce-a-roo” for an older infant with trunk control and not a bedside bassinet or “play ‘n play.”

Thanks for providing a picture.

I still find it hard to believe that a 6-week old baby would fall out of one of those, if he/she was strapped in properly. And if he/she wasn't, then that would be on the caregiver, in this case NV.
MOO

Exactly.

I’ve raised a child and grandchildren and have babysat for other family members. Plus babysitting for neighbors since I was eleven, including for a very young infant.

I don’t recall if a baby bouncer seat even existed when I was 11, but it certainly did when I had a baby in 1981. That baby is now 42, and back then the baby bouncer had safety straps.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a baby seat or baby bouncer that did NOT have straps to keep the baby secure.

If Leon fell out of his baby seat, the entire seat must have fallen over. Unless, of course, NV did not strap him in. Which would be negligence.

Those straps do fit around the crotch area to hold the legs in, but they are soft and IMO, it would be difficult for a newborn to exert enough force to injure himself against it.

Plus, the baby with genital injuries is NOT the baby who died.

To me therefore, this whole thing about Leon dying from a fall does not ring true, unless he wasn’t strapped in properly.

I would give NV grace to think this was an unbearable accident if it were not that BOTH babies under her care were injured, and each in a different fashion.

JMO

I am wondering if possibly the doctors DID recognize drugging...
And this is why the P seems so adamant in his claims of criminality.

Of course...
We are not privy to all information...

I am not saying NV is guilty... at this juncture...

But am just considering different scenarios...

ALL... JMO...
At this point, anything is possible. We are missing a lot of information.

1725233188464.png This is part of the message NV sent to her Airbnb before she got there. Note-- she must've checked in, most likely just getting into town, late night 11:30 p.m. June 13th. Did she see the family on the 14th? She was on an outing with them on the 15th, and that night is when all this happened.

"Court papers state that after the 911 call for Leon, the dad, Ethan, rushed home, arriving just as paramedics pulled up. As Leon was transported to the hospital by ambulance, Ethan and Virzi drove to the hospital separately."

"The accused killer didn't stay there long. The Airbnb surveillance footage shows Virzi arriving back at her rental at 12:53am on June 16 a little more than 90 minutes from the time paramedics were called."

1725232099231.png *Remember please, we still have no idea what type of baby apparatus LK was in when he fell, nor do we really know if it had a strap to secure him in. The description of the apparatus has run the gamut from bouncer seat, Moses basket, bassinet. There's a type of baby seat on the side of the couch, and I've included a image, but again, not sure. Looks like the a/c that maybe you can see from the outside of their building?

1725232872803.png Their bldg. has a lot of windows. Not sure if there's separate apts. within the bldg.

1725231328212.png
Video exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com shows Nicole Virzi returning to her Airbnb rental in Pittsburgh shortly after midnight June 16, appearing distraught and anxious (pictured) as she struggled to unlock the door after she allegedly killed a six-week-old boy

Last edited:
*Remember please, we still have no idea what type of baby apparatus LK was in when he fell, nor do we really know if it had a strap to secure him in. The description of the apparatus has run the gamut from bouncer seat, Moses basket, bassinet. There's a type of baby seat on the side of the couch, and I've included a image, but again, not sure. Looks like the a/c that maybe you can see from the outside of their building?

This is very true. We don’t know for sure what kind of baby contraption Leon was in.

However, a bassinet doesn’t need straps because it is for tiny babies like these, who cannot yet sit up nor have the motor control and strength to get up. They cannot at this age fall out of a bassinet by themselves.

A baby seat or bouncer that places a tiny baby in a more upright position must have straps or the baby could slide right out.

My daughter had one of those sleepers that hook up next to her bed so she could more easily breast feed, but once a baby can stand or even sit up independently, they need safety straps with a buckle.

IMO and IME

Please excuse me if these seem poorly written, but I'm brain storming thoughts. This is just an exercise in coming up with scenarios to explain how events could have occurred. Feel free to add any more you can think up. It'll help if you know the rough timeline that day. What is possible to have happened?

Possible Scenarios:
  1. Two events, neither abuse, just happened to occur, but are not related to any evil abusive intention by NK. The first baby got those genital scratches and swollenness earlier in the day and had scratched his own face. She was the one concerned enough to call the parent's attention to it. (and not for some Munchausen syndrome reason like Nancy Grace wants to say.)
    animated-question-mark-sign-image-0011.gif
  2. Then, being left with watching LK, she tried her best, but failed by falling asleep and not having him secured in his seat on the floor. Baby fell from the more upright bouncer seat without being strapped in, fell from floor level and somehow got head injuries that were much worse than doctors think they should be from an 18" fall, and are deeming it abuse
  3. Baby fell from a higher height than NV reported to LE and she lied afraid she'd be in trouble and then stuck to her lie
  4. Could've been a Moses basket you carry around perched on a table or counter where baby not only fell but banged head in several places
  5. Had nothing to do with AK's having that odd genital condition. Then got left with LK. She fell asleep with the baby seat next to her on the couch and woke to baby screaming on floor? Possibly while asleep pushed it over unintentionally
  6. Two events, both intentionally inflicted abuse--For some unknown reason, there was resentment towards her friend. She took a trip there. Became overwhelmed with some kind of seething hatred, maybe jealousy, and wanted to see her friend's happiness turn to sorrow. It might've fit in with her psychology study and papers. So, she hurt the first baby just to see that sorrow. Then, the couple rushed off leaving her with the other twin, and that baby became fussy, got on her nerves to the point she struck LK in the head????????????

Last edited:
View attachment 528480 This is part of the message NV sent to her Airbnb before she got there. Note-- she must've checked in, most likely just getting into town, late night 11:30 p.m. June 13th. Did she see the family on the 14th? She was on an outing with them on the 15th, and that night is when all this happened.

"Court papers state that after the 911 call for Leon, the dad, Ethan, rushed home, arriving just as paramedics pulled up. As Leon was transported to the hospital by ambulance, Ethan and Virzi drove to the hospital separately."

"The accused killer didn't stay there long. The Airbnb surveillance footage shows Virzi arriving back at her rental at 12:53am on June 16 a little more than 90 minutes from the time paramedics were called."

View attachment 528474 *Remember please, we still have no idea what type of baby apparatus LK was in when he fell, nor do we really know if it had a strap to secure him in. The description of the apparatus has run the gamut from bouncer seat, Moses basket, bassinet. There's a type of baby seat on the side of the couch, and I've included a image, but again, not sure. Looks like the a/c that maybe you can see from the outside of their building?

View attachment 528479 Their bldg. has a lot of windows. Not sure if there's separate apts. within the bldg.

View attachment 528472
Video exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com shows Nicole Virzi returning to her Airbnb rental in Pittsburgh shortly after midnight June 16, appearing distraught and anxious (pictured) as she struggled to unlock the door after she allegedly killed a six-week-old boy

She doesn't look distraught and anxious to me. Doesn't appear to be crying, grimacing, whatever. She just looks like someone opening a door.

We still do not know if she had infant care experience or if she was inept, inexperienced sitter trying to help out.
My own imaginings here-- She admitted to falling asleep while LK was still in the seat. She must've been possibly exhausted, experiencing jet lag, a long day with the family, not expecting to still be there so late, but ended up alone with LK. Heck, she isn't normally in charge of caring for babies. They were still at the hospital with AK. What was taking them so long? Is it possible she made some other stupid negligent mistake she didn't want to admit to?

All MOO and my own pondering thoughts.

I wondered if she fell asleep w Leon in her arms or lying on her chest, and he slipped away from her. Some states have prosecuted parents who rolled over on their kids while co-sleeping. Accidentally falling asleep while holding a sleepy baby is not the same as intentionally climbing into bed to co-sleep with a baby but she may not have thought of that while in a panic over hurting the baby.

A Moses basket has pretty good sized walls. I don’t see how a baby could roll out of one while it is stationary; even if the bouncy chair was in the basket, while the basket was on a table or couch. But I can see how a baby could be dropped out of one being carried by the handle, baby being top heavy, could just slide out head first if it is a smaller basket & not properly balanced or weighted.
The article linked just above stated that she found and reported the injury to the one twin's genitals. Is that correct? TIA
Yes, as far as we know. Mom was napping, NV offered to change Ari’s diaper. She took him to the changing area in the hall near the bedrooms, out of dad’s view & sent a picture of his genitals to dad.

For people who think she should have taken AK to his dad after finding his injuries - think that through. She would want to rediaper him to avoid potential mess. Then take him to his dad. Then they'd either have to return to the hallway changing area or undiaper AK somewhere else so his dad could look at the injuries.

Easier to send a photo and wait for the father to come to her.

Did she tell the police that LK fell from the bouncer while it was on the floor, though? Or are we just assuming that because the PCA says the height of the bouncer seat is 18 inches to the floor?

For people who think she should have taken AK to his dad after finding his injuries - think that through. She would want to rediaper him to avoid potential mess. Then take him to his dad. Then they'd either have to return to the hallway changing area or undiaper AK somewhere else so his dad could look at the injuries.

Easier to send a photo and wait for the father to come to her.

Did she tell the police that LK fell from the bouncer while it was on the floor, though? Or are we just assuming that because the PCA says the height of the bouncer seat is 18 inches to the floor?
The height of the TOP of the bouncer is eighteen inches to the floor. The front is probably more like three.

MOO

Please excuse me if these seem poorly written, but I'm brain storming thoughts. This is just an exercise in coming up with scenarios to explain how events could have occurred. Feel free to add any more you can think up. It'll help if you know the rough timeline that day. What is possible to have happened?

Possible Scenarios:
  1. Two events, neither abuse, just happened to occur, but are not related to any evil abusive intention by NK. The first baby got those genital scratches and swollenness earlier in the day and had scratched his own face. She was the one concerned enough to call the parent's attention to it. (and not for some Munchausen syndrome reason like Nancy Grace wants to say.)
  2. Then, being left with watching LK, she tried her best, but failed by falling asleep and not having him secured in his seat on the floor. Baby fell from the more upright bouncer seat without being strapped in, fell from floor level and somehow got head injuries that were much worse than doctors think they should be from an 18" fall, and are deeming it abuse
  3. Baby fell from a higher height than NV reported to LE and she lied afraid she'd be in trouble and then stuck to her lie
  4. Could've been a Moses basket you carry around perched on a table or counter where baby not only fell but banged head in several places
  5. Had nothing to do with AK's having that odd genital condition. Then got left with LK. She fell asleep with the baby seat next to her on the couch and woke to baby screaming on floor? Possibly while asleep pushed it over unintentionally
  6. Two events, both intentionally inflicted abuse--For some unknown reason, there was resentment towards her friend. She took a trip there. Became overwhelmed with some kind of seething hatred, maybe jealousy, and wanted to see her friend's happiness turn to sorrow. It might've fit in with her psychology study and papers. So, she hurt the first baby just to see that sorrow. Then, the couple rushed off leaving her with the other twin, and that baby became fussy, got on her nerves to the point she struck LK in the head????????????
Thank you for laying it out so well. I would agree that the truth is one of those two extreme scenarios.

It’s up to the defense, if the first scenario is actually the truth, to prove it through arguments, evidence, and experts.

If the second scenario is the true one, the prosecution must prove that beyond any reasonable doubt.

My intuition leans toward the first one being true, but I could be wrong and may be proven so.

Reactions: IDK
RSBM

I think it's safe to assume that she told them it was on the floor because -

a/ police provided the measurement from the highest point of the seat to the floor,

b/ police mentioned padding underneath the bouncer which would be irrelevant if the bouncer was not sitting on the padding,

c/ there is no mention in the PCA of the bouncer being used on a different surface/at a greater height, and she was unable to provide a plausible explanation for the extent of the injuries (such as he fell from a greater height).

That is not to say that the bouncer was on the floor, but IMO it would have been mentioned along with all these other pertinent details if she had said that in her police interview, or since.

I wonder if the police have been able to collect any information from the baby monitor system referred to in the PCA.

I think (but I could be misremembering) in the case of Chris Watts there was a recording stored on theirs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back