CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Complicated real estate transactions (and long time friendships!) in the area, fwiw, noting today's article involving HP, previously referenced by me in this 2017 post.
''Peerenboom contacted police as soon as the first hate mail appeared in 2012, but he also opened his own investigation, contributing to a widening gyre of litigation that has pulled in friends, neighbours, private investigators, high-powered attorneys and police forces in the U.S. and Canada. In five separate lawsuits and thousands of pages of court documents, there are allegations of character assassination, DNA theft, extortion and even accusations of murder.
And the whole debacle began, according to Peerenboom, with a dispute about tennis courts.''
Aug 9 '24
dotr -- has anyone told u lately, u r amazing!!???

U r amazing!!!!

Just noting - apparently, DNA at the scene of the Toronto snowbird murders in Florida belonged to 2 females....FWIW

I agree, it is distressing to know that we are approaching the 7 year mark since these murders were committed and there seems to be little to no progress being made in solving them and no status update or appeal for help from TPS, and no news from KD. It seems the only people Keeping this case at the top of mind are the ten or so regular posters here.
I fear that TPS has speculation or a theory on what happened, but little tangible evidence. Not knowing where else to turn, they choose to stay silent. I hope I am wrong.

I agree, it is distressing to know that we are approaching the 7 year mark since these murders were committed and there seems to be little to no progress being made in solving them and no status update or appeal for help from TPS, and no news from KD. It seems the only people Keeping this case at the top of mind are the ten or so regular posters here.
I fear that TPS has speculation or a theory on what happened, but little tangible evidence. Not knowing where else to turn, they choose to stay silent. I hope I am wrong.
You would hope that the family would relaunch some private investigation, if needed, since they could afford it.

Complicated real estate transactions (and long time friendships!) in the area, fwiw, noting today's article involving HP, previously referenced by me in this 2017 post.
''Peerenboom contacted police as soon as the first hate mail appeared in 2012, but he also opened his own investigation, contributing to a widening gyre of litigation that has pulled in friends, neighbours, private investigators, high-powered attorneys and police forces in the U.S. and Canada. In five separate lawsuits and thousands of pages of court documents, there are allegations of character assassination, DNA theft, extortion and even accusations of murder.
And the whole debacle began, according to Peerenboom, with a dispute about tennis courts.''
Aug 9 '24
That is fascinating. He does fit with the police theory and last warrant. I don’t know how you were able to put that together, but it’s so interesting. I guess there’s a rabbit hole to go down to see how he connects to the Shermans. (Everyone in Toronto can probably find a connection if they look hard enough.)

(ETA: Some rabbit hole clues are Peerenboom’s and the Sherman properties in Florida, Barry possibly in business with him or his arch enemy in his lawsuit, business in Florida. Any lawsuits involving Sherman and Peerenboom or his enemies? The double homicide in Florida…)

It goes back to a venn diagram being useful. There’s a connection between the couple murdered in Florida and the Shermans. One victim’s relative called Alex K. after the Shermans were murdered and told her to hire a PI.

Peerenboom is connected to the murdered couple. He received written death threats.

Barry invested in Sam Mizrahi’s project and also received them (no apparent connection to Peerenboom or his enemy). Sam previously claimed he was threatened in a basement, foreshadowing what happened to the Shermans.

I’m repeating information we all know, except for questions I have bolded…If someone was planning this, they could have used elements from different stories surrounding the Shermans to blur the suspect pool:
  • -KW telling people he wanted to kill Barry, and was involved in a hit on Honey. Is December 13th or that general time in 2017 significant to him?
  • -workers in the basement on the day of the murders. The killer could have staged the basement window and door being left open by them.
  • -the conflict between JS, AP & Barry prior to the murders. The Shermans were killed on the 13th, the day after JS returned home from a vacation.
  • JS’s ex-bf had a big falling out with the Shermans and was cut off from all of them. He had been close to them and financially dependent on them since he was 14 years old. When did he go to Portugal to live? His last payment from Barry was in the summer of 2017. I’d expect he’d be in Toronto at that time, imo. It seems that was the last cord comnecting him to the Shermans, and he said he was devastated from the loss of what he thought of as family. Mary mentioned him in her police statement.
  • -turmoil at Apotex. One employee stealing intellectual property.
  • -Jeremy Desai and the pillow talk case. An alleged affair with an executive of Apotex’s rival, Teva.
  • -reportedly, a large amount of money was about to be moved from Barry to Honey. Honey’s sister expected to receive hundred of millions from that transfer. (Did people close to Mary expect that to happen?)
  • -the activity surrounding the sale of 50 Old Colony. It opened up the suspect pool and made the house seem vulnerable to a crime.
  • -IMO, it looked like work was being done on the houses on either side of the Shermans’ home. One home had a construction bin on the driveway and signs of work being done. One house seemed vacant and in disrepair. It was put on the market after the murders and there were literal holes in the roof with water damage and debris in rooms.The decor of the home was all from the ‘70s era and seemingly never updated. So possibly the two homes directly beside the Shermans may have been unoccupied, imo. Or at least distracted with their own activity.
  • Barry was calling in old loans and ending holding mortgages. Were some not in the position to suddenly have to secure a regular mortgage? How would they qualify if Barry had been their main source of income and held the mortgage on their home, with no apparent payments being made for years? $500 k in equity in a home is almost nothing in Toronto. Especially if you’re living above your means with millionaire and billionaire friends. And it’s a sudden drop in income and status if Barry cut them off, imo. Which is not Barry’s fault, and he seemed unaware of what it means to be middle class in Toronto.
  • I find it strange that Barry was ending mortgages and JS suddenly decided to begin a mortgage business at the same time just before the murders. Did any of Barry’s friends who had mortgages go to Harlo, JS’s new mortgage company? Any overlap?

Last edited:
Where for art thou Kevin Donovan? Has he given up?
Yup. We’re dying here, KD :confused:

I’m full of questions. Maybe he could do a Q & A and draw out other informed people following the case? A lot of people asked excellent questions in his last Q & As, imo. It could generate a new article and tie up loose ends in the case.

You would hope that the family would relaunch some private investigation, if needed, since they could afford it.
JS said he has his own investigator, according to him.

“With the Greenspan probe shelved by late 2019, Jonathon says he launched his own private investigation led by Robert Seiden a lawyer and former prosecutor from the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office who now runs the U.S.-based company called Confidential Global Investigations. He says he hired Seiden because of Seiden’s personal history — he pursued a law career after his brother, an innocent bystander, was killed during a mob hit.

As part of his investigation team, Seiden has hired a former Toronto police homicide detective who has “good” relations with the Toronto force, Jonathon told me.”

“…Finally since nobody else besides the children benefited financially from the Sherman's deaths, it becomes the obvious motive…”
I think that one has to also consider, as the measure of the motive, who EXPECTED to benefit financially from the Sherman’s murders, not just who ultimately did benefit. The EXPECTATION of inheritance could be a powerful motivation and motive for murder in this case
Also, who else might have benefited financially if Barry could not finish something legally, or in the pharmaceutical world? He was working on a synthetic cannabis, in pill form. Who knows where that could have lead with Big Pharma, and that is only one example. I see the logic of the children, or one child,and perhaps an in-law being responsible. Whoever did it, or gave information to hired killers, knew their habits, and schedules well, like the children did, but TPS did announce in a press conference that Honey and Barry had been stalked and spied on for one month. This could have involved someone hacking their phones and computers as well as physical surveillance. This could still have been carried out by one of the children. I just hope that someday, justice is served, and the person(s) responsible are arrested, tried, and sentenced. IMO

CBD-BASED PILL EXPECTED TO BE A GAME CHANGER IN ANXIETY TREATMENT

Creating a pill to treat anxiety, a Canadian company is developing an exciting game changer.

This medication may end up in as much demand as vaccines thanks to the stress from this COVID-19 global pandemic.

EmpowerPharm is working on a synthetic CBD-based pill that will treat patients without the risk of addiction.

“We are going to pharmaceuticalize CBD,” Jack Kay, 80, who took on the role of EmpowerPharm vice-chairman in 2019, said in an interview.

The difference between what EmpowerPharm is doing and those creating “pot pills” is this will be not be a traditional cannabinoid product.

“There will be no THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in it,” said Kay.

That means “this will not be a habit-forming” medication or create a high — just treatment.

“When you look at some of the devastating outcomes from benzodiazepine dependency for the treatment of anxiety, anecdotally, CBD offers a greater alternative,” Kay explained.

There was industry talk of such work in his 35 years at Apotex, but Kay said he has found in EmpowerPharm and owner Aubrey Dan the perfect fit to develop a treatment that would be prescribed by a doctor for anxiety. Dan’s father Leslie built Novopharm, which was later sold to Teva.

But now with Kay’s industry experience the goal is to create Canadian solutions and manufacturing.

Kay said there are lessons to be learned from the current vaccine problems unfolding now.

While “I will be one of the first in line to get a vaccine,” Kay said, “I think we have to plan for” a “future” where “this country has to be self sufficient and not “be dependent on other countries of the world to satisfy our basic requirements and that is vaccines and essential medicines.”

EmpowerPharm’s new anxiety pill is being tested and, upon receiving a nod from regulators, will be manufactured in Canada.

— Joe Warmington

CBD-BASED PILL EXPECTED TO BE A GAME CHANGER IN ANXIETY TREATMENT

Creating a pill to treat anxiety, a Canadian company is developing an exciting game changer.

This medication may end up in as much demand as vaccines thanks to the stress from this COVID-19 global pandemic.

EmpowerPharm is working on a synthetic CBD-based pill that will treat patients without the risk of addiction.

“We are going to pharmaceuticalize CBD,” Jack Kay, 80, who took on the role of EmpowerPharm vice-chairman in 2019, said in an interview.

The difference between what EmpowerPharm is doing and those creating “pot pills” is this will be not be a traditional cannabinoid product.

“There will be no THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in it,” said Kay.

That means “this will not be a habit-forming” medication or create a high — just treatment.

“When you look at some of the devastating outcomes from benzodiazepine dependency for the treatment of anxiety, anecdotally, CBD offers a greater alternative,” Kay explained.

There was industry talk of such work in his 35 years at Apotex, but Kay said he has found in EmpowerPharm and owner Aubrey Dan the perfect fit to develop a treatment that would be prescribed by a doctor for anxiety. Dan’s father Leslie built Novopharm, which was later sold to Teva.

But now with Kay’s industry experience the goal is to create Canadian solutions and manufacturing.

Kay said there are lessons to be learned from the current vaccine problems unfolding now.

While “I will be one of the first in line to get a vaccine,” Kay said, “I think we have to plan for” a “future” where “this country has to be self sufficient and not “be dependent on other countries of the world to satisfy our basic requirements and that is vaccines and essential medicines.”

EmpowerPharm’s new anxiety pill is being tested and, upon receiving a nod from regulators, will be manufactured in Canada.

— Joe Warmington

JS could have done good business as a successor at Apotex .... MOO

IMO from day one the family have been frightened for there own safety/lives I do not think they want any attention on themselves.

Private investigations do not necessarily make a case easier, it can actually taint or tarnish evidence and thus cannot use it in a court of law. This may have already happened and LE have to find other evidence to support a theory.

Again my opinion, Alex and her sisters realized that after they accomplished what they needed to do and have the investigation be recognized as a double murder, they had nothing else to investigate (the team they had hired were not working with police to catch the killer but to get LE on what they feel is the right track - double murder)

A couple items to stir conversation:

I met a TV producer that did a show on the Sherman’s, I did not get a chance to go into detail as it was a social gathering but hope to see him again and get into it. No idea what show it was or where he works. But I was surprised he never read anything on this site or any other sleuthing sites, only reviewed News articles. He did say that Canadian stories are the hardest, police share nothing no one would accept an interview and speak with them. He said In the US anyone will talk for a price or 15 mins of fame on a tv show.

Whenever we recap over how it could have gone down I get the thought, we’re they both tied up and left on Wed night and the Thursday visitor did the staging the next day. I know LE said they know who “Mr Thursday” is and why he was there, but that is all we have is a media conference and the chief made the statement (IMO he came off as defensive as he said the above and not completely believable especially what was going on with Bruce M serial killer arrest and details in the media.) just cannot rule this out in my mind.

I met a TV producer that did a show on the Sherman’s, I did not get a chance to go into detail as it was a social gathering but hope to see him again and get into it. No idea what show it was or where he works. But I was surprised he never read anything on this site or any other sleuthing sites, only reviewed News articles. He did say that Canadian stories are the hardest, police share nothing no one would accept an interview and speak with them. He said In the US anyone will talk for a price or 15 mins of fame on a tv show.

Whenever we recap over how it could have gone down I get the thought, we’re they both tied up and left on Wed night and the Thursday visitor did the staging the next day. I know LE said they know who “Mr Thursday” is and why he was there, but that is all we have is a media conference and the chief made the statement (IMO he came off as defensive as he said the above and not completely believable especially what was going on with Bruce M serial killer arrest and details in the media.) just cannot rule this out in my mind.

Please keep us posted, that’s very interesting.

Wouldn’t Barry have to be alive on Thursday morning for that to work? They weren’t sure if he was the murderer. So to me it sounds as if he was killed in—or close to—the position he was found. If he was staged after death, it was done almost immediately after being killed (which is KD’s belief).

If he had conflicting lividity marks no one would have entertained the idea he was involved.

Or do you mean other staging? Throwing his items at the garage entrance etc.? What do you think?

What would the Thursday visitor be doing in the home for 29 minutes, and even longer in his vehicle outside? (Note: it’s not clear if he entered the home or was just out of cctv range for 29 minutes.)

The eerie part is the the NW suspect on Wednesday also stepped out of range of the cctv cameras for a long period and then stepped back in frame. Just like the Thursday visitor.

I watch Dateline and listen to their podcasts. They also mentioned how hard it is to get Canadian police to talk. Also, if I remember correctly, jurors are also not allowed to talk after a case. I was on a jury many years ago, right after the OJ Simpson case, and the judge told us how our courts differ from American courts. If anyone else has experience with the rules and I'm wrong, please jump in.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee
Back