CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15 2023
''Kevin
Good afternoon everyone, thank you for joining me for a live Q and A on our Billionaire Murders podcast. I hope to get to everyone's question or as many as possible in the next hour. I will extend to 2:30 if there is interest. Thanks again for listening and reading the Toronto Star. In addition to the topic we are discussing today, please check out the great journalism online at thestar.com and in the pages of the Toronto Star. If you are not a subscriber, please consider signing up. Okay, let's jump right in.''

Response to question..
''William, I agree. In the police documents I have seen there is absolutely no reference to that type of investigation. Judy Gottlieb, one of the two agents, told me she had suspicions about two men who looked at the home. Apparently they were quite interested in where the drains in the underground garage went. I will revisit this issue with Detective Yim when I return to court in the fall. And, the other agent I interviewed, said she was concerned about a client who requested a virtual showing of the house the previous Saturday. She could not see the client/agents faces apparently. I agree, something police should have looked into.''

Last edited:
May 15 2023
''Kevin
Good afternoon everyone, thank you for joining me for a live Q and A on our Billionaire Murders podcast. I hope to get to everyone's question or as many as possible in the next hour. I will extend to 2:30 if there is interest. Thanks again for listening and reading the Toronto Star. In addition to the topic we are discussing today, please check out the great journalism online at thestar.com and in the pages of the Toronto Star. If you are not a subscriber, please consider signing up. Okay, let's jump right in.''

Response to question..
''William, I agree. In the police documents I have seen there is absolutely no reference to that type of investigation. Judy Gottlieb, one of the two agents, told me she had suspicions about two men who looked at the home. Apparently they were quite interested in where the drains in the underground garage went. I will revisit this issue with Detective Yim when I return to court in the fall. And, the other agent I interviewed, said she was concerned about a client who requested a virtual showing of the house the previous Saturday. She could not see the client/agents faces apparently. I agree, something police should have looked into.''

It’s odd to specifically ask about the drains at the first showing of a house, especially one that’s for sale for just under $7 million, imo. (Are those the ‘odd ducks’ clients?)

It’s not like it’s an average home where a bidding war may happen and you want to find out as much about the mechanics of the home before the bidding starts.

There are many, but here are some other Q & As that I found interesting:
F0ED4449-2C90-4021-9E62-64CF43E702DB.pngB746693D-6633-4881-91D2-FFE5ACB75525.png

FB4EB589-DCEB-4C46-B996-C692F9F1F8F4.png03C8309E-A395-4D49-ADD1-BB098AEEFA4B.png

ETA: KD said what I’ve always thought about who the possible suspect is—someone in the heirs’ orbit that would financially benefit from the Shermans’ deaths.

I always thought it was someone that was at least a millionaire, but KD said it may have been someone that wasn’t well off at the time of the murders.

Last edited:
It’s odd to specifically ask about the drains at the first showing of a house, especially one that’s for sale for just under $7 million, imo. (Are those the ‘odd ducks’ clients?)

It’s not like it’s an average home where a bidding war may happen and you want to find out as much about the mechanics of the home before the bidding starts.

There are many, but here are some other Q & As that I found interesting:
View attachment 422522View attachment 422523

View attachment 422524View attachment 422525

ETA: KD said what I’ve always thought about who the possible suspect is—someone in the heirs’ orbit that would financially benefit from the Shermans’ deaths.

I always thought it was someone that was at least a millionaire, but KD said it may have been someone that wasn’t well off at the time of the murders.
rbbm.
''There are two types of drains used in garage floors.

In some cases, the drain is a round hole which looks much like a large drain hole in the shower, except a bit larger. The drain hole is covered with a round or square metal grate, and the garage floor is sloped so that water flows toward the drain from all areas. At least, that is how it should be, if the drain and floor were constructed properly.

The other type of drain used in garages is a trench drain. This type of drain is composed of a shallow trench covered with a long metal grate, running the width of the garage and located just outside the garage door.

In order to function properly, the garage floor, and sometimes the driveway as well, must slope toward the drain, and the drain itself must slope from one side to the other.

Both types of garage floor drains must have an outlet, leading the water to a suitable discharge point away from the house and garage. In some cases, a garage floor drain is connected to the sewer. In other situations, the drain leads to the curb where water flows into the storm drain system.''

1684178722713.png

Lexi said "I always thought it was someone that was at least a millionaire, but KD said it may have been someone that wasn’t well off at the time of the murders."

I think the reference to someone that was not well off, is to the actual 'hired hitmen'. I think that the TPS & KD believe the hitmen were well paid to do the murders, and were from overseas. A substantial increase in one of the hitman's bank balance or net worth would be a sign of involvement in the crime. That is why the overseas searches. IMO

I love that we can ask him these questions.

If they do arrest any of the kids at some point, or anyone affiliated with them who has private security 24/7, it could be really tricky for police. I think JS made a point of saying he has security with him everywhere he goes and it may be the same for the other siblings, spouses etc.

Even after all this time I feel optimistic that someone will be charged. In spite of the fact that this is listed as cold case here, the police are still considering this active.

rbbm. 2019
'' But Chiasson knew there could be a wide range of reasons why one would have injuries to the face and the other did not.

The attackers could have injured Honey Sherman, for example, and for some reason not hit Barry Sherman. As some of the private team speculated, perhaps attackers had demanded something from Barry and beaten Honey to try to convince him. The fatal flaw in that theory was that the wound to Honey’s face occurred either immediately before or after death, as no bruise formed.

When Chiasson and the private detectives reported their findings to Greenspan, the conclusion was this: it was a professional hit.
Some person or persons had murdered both Shermans in a deliberate and apparently professional attack, then had staged the bodies to make it look like they had killed themselves, or like one had killed the other.

For some unknown reason, Barry Sherman’s body had been arranged almost as if he were in “repose,” the word one source later used to describe the serene way he was positioned: one leg crossed over the other in a relaxed-looking fashion, glasses not at all askew.''

The Paulin companies had a number of warehouses and plants in south Scarborough which is in the east part of Toronto. I drove past one of their former warehouses this morning and it's now a Green Storage! It's located on Birchmount Road and Mack Avenue.

KD mentioned that location in an older article, and you’re right in making the connection that the property used to be the head office of AP’s former family business.

Quote from article:

“In February of 2019, Green Storage paid $1.2 million for a storage facility in Scarborough. According to land title documents, a $25 million loan from Hour Holdings was registered on title.”

I don’t know if it’s connected, but in KD’s book he wrote about a court appearance on April 24th, 2019. While they were on a break, KD, Crown Attorney Peter Scrutton and homicide Detective Yim were chatting about their kids and other normal things and then the attorney and detective ‘kibitzed’ about Jonathon owning a big storage facility in the east part of Toronto, but he saw the topic as a ‘non sequitur’.
From his book:

E6016BF4-0803-4B5B-9C50-828D609B625E.png

Green Storage has a large building in the East Side of Toronto, on Eastern Ave., so I thought the attorney and detective were referring to that location. But technically Scarborough is part of Toronto and it’s on the east side, so maybe they were calling attention to the Scarborough location you mentioned that was once owned by the Paulin family?

KD mentioned that location in an older article, and you’re right in making the connection that the property used to be the head office of AP’s former family business.

Quote from article:

“In February of 2019, Green Storage paid $1.2 million for a storage facility in Scarborough. According to land title documents, a $25 million loan from Hour Holdings was registered on title.”

I don’t know if it’s connected, but in KD’s book he wrote about a court appearance on April 24th, 2019. While they were on a break, KD, Crown Attorney Peter Scrutton and homicide Detective Yim were chatting about their kids and other normal things and then the attorney and detective ‘kibitzed’ about Jonathon owning a big storage facility in the east part of Toronto, but he saw the topic as a ‘non sequitur’.
From his book:

View attachment 422731

Green Storage has a large building in the East Side of Toronto, on Eastern Ave., so I thought the attorney and detective were referring to that location. But technically Scarborough is part of Toronto and it’s on the east side, so maybe they were calling attention to the Scarborough location you mentioned that was once owned by the Paulin family?
I think a lot of people talk about eastern Toronto and they're talking about Leslieville, Riverdale etc. It can be very confusing! I wonder though, because the location I saw just opened and they are offering a free month or something for new renters, so maybe they were talking about the Eastern Ave. location at the time.

I think that between it being H. Paulin and Green Storage, it was empty for quite a while. Richard Paulin retired in 2017, I believe, after having sold the company, and I believe he is AP's father, if not his uncle.

I'm kind of surprised that AP didn't want to get into the family business. It was a very steady, money making business by the looks of it. They manufactured all kinds of fasteners which are needed in so many things so it's not like there wouldn't be a need for it.

A little off-topic, sorry - would someone kindly point me in the direction of a good (the best?) podcast or series that covers this case?

A podcast called "Suspicion: The Billionaire Murders" by Kevin Donovan. He's a journalist for the Toronto Star. There is no one who knows more about this case or who has fought harder to push the investigation forward. It's a great podcast.

I think a lot of people talk about eastern Toronto and they're talking about Leslieville, Riverdale etc. It can be very confusing! I wonder though, because the location I saw just opened and they are offering a free month or something for new renters, so maybe they were talking about the Eastern Ave. location at the time.

I think that between it being H. Paulin and Green Storage, it was empty for quite a while. Richard Paulin retired in 2017, I believe, after having sold the company, and I believe he is AP's father, if not his uncle.

I'm kind of surprised that AP didn't want to get into the family business. It was a very steady, money making business by the looks of it. They manufactured all kinds of fasteners which are needed in so many things so it's not like there wouldn't be a need for it.
Maybe, ANOTHER father (BS) and not his own was better to use/manipulate as a financier: more wealthy, more generous, mainly more risk taking? Psychology will have played a role in this, I can imagine.

rbbm. 2019
'' But Chiasson knew there could be a wide range of reasons why one would have injuries to the face and the other did not.

The attackers could have injured Honey Sherman, for example, and for some reason not hit Barry Sherman. As some of the private team speculated, perhaps attackers had demanded something from Barry and beaten Honey to try to convince him. The fatal flaw in that theory was that the wound to Honey’s face occurred either immediately before or after death, as no bruise formed.

When Chiasson and the private detectives reported their findings to Greenspan, the conclusion was this: it was a professional hit.
Some person or persons had murdered both Shermans in a deliberate and apparently professional attack, then had staged the bodies to make it look like they had killed themselves, or like one had killed the other.

For some unknown reason, Barry Sherman’s body had been arranged almost as if he were in “repose,” the word one source later used to describe the serene way he was positioned: one leg crossed over the other in a relaxed-looking fashion, glasses not at all askew.''
Apropos staging: the statement during Eulogy from JS "They were like Yin and Yang, together powerful, but one useless without the partner" (similar wording) comes to mind.
IF JS was the initiator (to say it mildly), did one parent have to die, because without the other parent it wouldn't have been worth it to exist longer? Would BS have been the parent, who otherwise could have lived longer? Was the staging/posing (because of that thought) for BS especially careful and perhaps with some loving respect (if you can speak of that in connection with murder)?

Pretty sure KD doesn’t believe it was hitmen.
What leads you to that assumption?

Hitmen as I refer to them, are individuals hired by conspirator(s) to commit the crime.

Since most of the potential conspirators had alibis, who do you think actually committed the murders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrypaul