CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try and find it.
I know you are probably thinking of the Eastern Ave. property (I haven’t heard about Barry finding out the true purchase price or if he was surprised by it—but my guess is you’re probably right).

“Land title records show a $5 million loan from Hour Holdings to purchase a storage company in Orillia and in April, 2017, a $50 million loan from Hour Holdings to purchase one on Eastern Ave. in Toronto. In both cases, land title documents do not record the cost of the purchase, noting a nominal “$2” value in each case.”

I tried, but couldn’t find the history of the sale price for it. It was owned by the Ontario government (ORC) at one point and sold to a private buyer and there was some controversy:

“The king of coincidences in the ORC saga is not Mr. Gabriele, however, but Mr. Lyons, a prominent Tory fundraiser and member of the Toronto police services board…

…Mr. Lyons was also a founding director and secretary-treasurer of All-City Storage, a company that recently bought a warehouse at 145 Eastern Avenue from the ORC in controversial circumstances. The property was never fully exposed to the marketplace and sold at a discount, according to others interested in buying it. That deal is also now under investigation.”

Jonathon has noted that the rift between himself and Alexandra coincided with a time when, he said, she began suggesting he was “implicated” in the murder of their parents. He dismisses that suggestion. “I am the only person who knows I was not involved.””
This phrase — “I am the only person who knows I was not involved” — has always struck me. Presumably the murderer — if not JS — would also know that?? MOO.

This phrase — “I am the only person who knows I was not involved” — has always struck me. Presumably the murderer — if not JS — would also know that?? MOO.

JS isn’t the smoothest communicator. He’s a little awkward and seems to reach for the dramatic. I try not to parse what he says too closely. The eulogy shows, to me, that he has no concept of tone.

Harlo executives have made a bid for the Ottawa Senators. There are four current bids —one for $1 billion. Harlo is the company Jonathon started just before the murders. They started in 2017 providing secondary market mortgages and have expanded to a number of companies under the Harlo umbrella. (Noteworthy because Jonathon started the company loaning money as he was expected to repay Barry $50-60 million. Jonathon told KD he started Harlo as he had ‘cash laying around’.)

“Canadian musical artist The Weeknd reportedly has agreed to be a partner in the group led by Toronto billionaires Jeffrey and Michael Kimel of the Harlo Capital Group in their bid to purchase the Ottawa Senators.”

Quote from older article about Harlo and a conflict with AK:

“With Jonathon focusing his efforts on the business of Sherfam and Apotex, Alexandra has taken up the mantle of the Sherman charitable foundations. In 2019, Alexandra refused to approve a $40-50 million plan Jonathon and one of his business partners, Jonathan Tkatch, had to build a “premium” hockey rink. (Jonathon Sherman and Tkatch have a mortgage company called Harlo Financial, set up just before the murders. Jonathon said in an interview he and partner Adam Paulin “had some cash sitting around for projects.”)

According to emails between Jonathon and Tkatch in April 2019, Jonathon said the hockey rink idea was a plan to build a “premium facility with additional features like training gyms and rehab in order to attract the premium customers to use the facility during the ‘downtime’ (like summer when the leagues are off).” Under the plan, Tkatch wrote, a new Sherman charity would be created to own the rink and Jonathon would have “long-term oversight of the facility.”

In an email describing the rink situation, Alexandra said the plan was “definitely not within the budget or the mandate of our foundations and not at all in line with my parents’…

Jonathon has noted that the rift between himself and Alexandra coincided with a time when, he said, she began suggesting he was “implicated” in the murder of their parents. He dismisses that suggestion. “I am the only person who knows I was not involved.””

Karl Marx had his rich generous patron benefactor Friedrich Engels. It must be nice to have a generous project supporting rich friend. Just like BS helped many friends and friends of friends with his money, it looks like JS is doing the same thing. It is interesting how many ideas people have in mind to do with other people's money.

Last edited:
1684497601175.png
May 19 2023
''The four children of slain billionaires Honey and Barry Sherman squabble over their new-found riches, but only two really want power. Hanging over all of this is the possibility that Honey had a will.

This is the final episode of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, reporter Kevin Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.''

What I think is relevant at times, but it has zero relevance to something someone else said.

KD hasn’t stated no hitmen were involved. He had stated that he doesn’t think hitmen were involved. Someone else has provided his quote from the Q and A, no need for me to repeat it.

Sorry I was so conversational the first go around. I didn’t have the source material handy and just assumed people were keeping up with the podcast and Monday Q and As.

Why did you assume the KD believed it was a hitman? I haven’t seen or heard him espouse that opinion anywhere, but you seemed quite certain.
Okay, fair enough. I was wrong, about KD's beliefs of no hitmen. I suppose, the fact I believe there were hitmen clouded my vision.

To me, as KD believes that the killing was done by people who wanted the Shermans dead, creates a horrible scenario.

Someone, likely a male, known to the Shermans, strangled Honey to death, waited patiently for Barry to come home and then strangled him to death, and then staged both bodies using one of Barry's belts. The killer also likely brought tie-wraps and some sort of straps for the strangulations. Definitely planned and premeditated.

This guy could be on some sort of psychopathic spectrum. Does any of the people who benefited from the Shermans' deaths fit that definition?

Lots to digest in Kevin Donovan's final episode

He identified the law firm that Honey spoke to about changing her will, but they wouldn't give him any information. One thing I'm curious about is if she DID have a will, why disburse the money to the kids?

If she did have a will but the original signed document couldn’t be found, it’s like destroying a signed cheque. They can make arguments that it existed, but they wouldn’t know if she destroyed the will, effectively revoking it.

We only know she died intestate, so her closest next of kin, her children, received everything she had.

I think based on one of their known estate lawyers calling Barry at 9:01 pm on Wednesday (when they’re both believed to have killed) may indicate that Barry’s wills were being updated as well, imo. Or he was included in creating Honey’s will, if she did have one.

If she did have a will but the original signed document couldn’t be found, it’s like destroying a signed cheque. They can make arguments that it existed, but they wouldn’t know if she destroyed the will, effectively revoking it.

We only know she died intestate, so her closest next of kin, her children, received everything she had.

I think based on one of their known estate lawyers calling Barry at 9:01 pm on Wednesday (when they’re both believed to have killed) may indicate that Barry’s wills were being updated as well, imo. Or he was included in creating Honey’s will, if she did have one.

The presumption at law is that a missing will was destroyed intentionally, but the presumption can be rebutted with evidence to the contrary. For someone like Honey, unless she was going to make a bequest to her sister, an intestacy would be basically the same as a standard will.

I’m looking forward to the latest podcast. KD has been a bit mixed up on how the estates would work with them dying at roughly the same time.

Karl Marx had his rich generous patron benefactor Friedrich Engels. It must be nice to have a generous project supporting rich friend. Just like BS helped many friends and friends of friends with his money, it looks like JS is doing the same thing. It is interesting how many ideas people have in mind to do with other people's money.
Did i miss something?
I don't see anything showing JS financially supporting other peoples projects ?

Harlo executives have made a bid for the Ottawa Senators. There are four current bids —one for $1 billion. Harlo is the company Jonathon started just before the murders. They started in 2017 providing secondary market mortgages and have expanded to a number of companies under the Harlo umbrella. (Noteworthy because Jonathon started the company loaning money as he was expected to repay Barry $50-60 million. Jonathon told KD he started Harlo as he had ‘cash laying around’.)
I thought Harlo is a company owned and funded by the billionaire Kimel brothers. Is there information linking JS to this company?

I thought Harlo is a company owned and funded by the billionaire Kimel brothers. Is there information linking JS to this company?

KD has reported that JS helped set up Harlo Financial, which is under the Harlo banner. Harlo Capital is the main company and that is the Kimels. JS is not part of Calital.

Googling, I don’t see a lot of connection between JS and Harlo Financial. Not sure why the Kimels would need him to for a start up.

KD has reported that JS helped set up Harlo Financial, which is under the Harlo banner. Harlo Capital is the main company and that is the Kimels. JS is not part of Calital.

Googling, I don’t see a lot of connection between JS and Harlo Financial. Not sure why the Kimels would need him to for a start up.

Jonathon started Harlo with AP and Jonathan Tkatch in 2017 just prior to the murders. I linked the Star article in my post, but I’ll link it again:

“With Jonathon focusing his efforts on the business of Sherfam and Apotex, Alexandra has taken up the mantle of the Sherman charitable foundations. In 2019, Alexandra refused to approve a $40-50 million plan Jonathon and one of his business partners, Jonathan Tkatch, had to build a “premium” hockey rink. (Jonathon Sherman and Tkatch have a mortgage company called Harlo Financial, set up just before the murders. Jonathon said in an interview he and partner Adam Paulin “had some cash sitting around for projects.”)”

Today on his podcast KD talked a bit about Harlo and Jonathon S., so he’s still involved.

Their leadership pages show that the Kimels are part of the Harlo group of companies (Tkatch is head of Harlo Financial, Jeffrey Kimel is head of Harlo Capital, Michael is linked to Harlo in the quote I posted about the Kimels’ bid for the Ottawa Senators and all three are mentioned on the Harlo Leadership pages):
Leadership
&

This older post by deugirtni goes into some detail: Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

Jonathon started Harlo with AP and Jonathan Tkatch in 2017 just prior to the murders. I linked the Star article in my post, but I’ll link it again:

“With Jonathon focusing his efforts on the business of Sherfam and Apotex, Alexandra has taken up the mantle of the Sherman charitable foundations. In 2019, Alexandra refused to approve a $40-50 million plan Jonathon and one of his business partners, Jonathan Tkatch, had to build a “premium” hockey rink. (Jonathon Sherman and Tkatch have a mortgage company called Harlo Financial, set up just before the murders. Jonathon said in an interview he and partner Adam Paulin “had some cash sitting around for projects.”)”

Today on his podcast KD talked a bit about Harlo and Jonathon S., so he’s still involved.

Their leadership pages show that the Kimels are part of the Harlo group of companies (Tkatch is head of Harlo Financial, Jeffrey Kimel is head of Harlo Capital, Michael is linked to Harlo in the quote I posted about the Kimels’ bid for the Ottawa Senators and all three are mentioned on the Harlo Leadership pages):
Leadership
&

This older post by deugirtni goes into some detail: Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

Thanks. If I had to guess, I think JS may have overstated he and AP’s contribution to the start of the business. Pre-inheritance JS wouldn’t have had that much money to advance, and if it’s under the Harlo name then most of the money comes from the Kimels. It’s not that hard to imagine JS exaggerating.

AP isn’t listed on the webpage anymore, although it’s not unusual for a private company to not list directors. He also doesn’t have anything about it on his Linked page, but it’s certainly possible that he is still a director.

Leadership
&

I find it interesting that JS said that he and AP had some cash

Leadership
&

Thanks. If I had to guess, I think JS may have overstated he and AP’s contribution to the start of the business. Pre-inheritance JS wouldn’t have had that much money to advance, and if it’s under the Harlo name then most of the money comes from the Kimels. It’s not that hard to imagine JS exaggerating.

AP isn’t listed on the webpage anymore, although it’s not unusual for a private company to not list directors. He also doesn’t have anything about it on his Linked page, but it’s certainly possible that he is still a director.
Sorry sent before I finished. I find it interesting that JS says he and and AP had some cash sitting around. He emailed BS Wednesday morning, Jan 13th to remind him to pay the balance to the surrogate company.
He doesn’t pay for anything himself.
He doesn’t seem to mind people knowing he and AP are grifters.
Fred Mercure, JS’s husband doesn’t seem to have anything.
I can’t imagine what the family of FM must think when they listen to the podcast, ( I’m sure they do), and hear that he owns nothing. If it were my son, brother, friend I would be furious.
I also can’t imagine what AP’s family think or feel when they listen to the podcast, ( and I’m sure they also do ), and if they are shocked and ashamed and how they hold their heads up.

Sorry sent before I finished. I find it interesting that JS says he and and AP had some cash sitting around. He emailed BS Wednesday morning, Jan 13th to remind him to pay the balance to the surrogate company.
I can’t imagine what the family of FM must think when they listen to the podcast, ( I’m sure they do), and hear that he owns nothing. If it were my son, brother, friend I would be furious.
I also can’t imagine what AP’s family think or feel when they listen to the podcast, ( and I’m sure they also do ), and if they are shocked and ashamed and how they hold their heads up.
I've often thought of the Paulin family as well. They were a fixture in Scarborough and other parts of southern Ontario. The founder, Harry, then his sons Arthur and Stanley and finally Arthur's son Richard all appeared to be hard working people in a company that was obviously doing well for decades. I used to see their trucks all over the place. It seems that along with JS, AP has the same sense of entitlement. He has had so much handed to him because of Barry. Imagine just being given a pile of money to buy storage facilities and a bunch of cottages.

If FM really doesn't have much to his name, it's like Barry and Honey version 2.0. She was never given money of her own.

I wonder if FM has a job of his own?

MOO

Lots to digest in Kevin Donovan's final episode

He identified the law firm that Honey spoke to about changing her will, but they wouldn't give him any information. One thing I'm curious about is if she DID have a will, why disburse the money to the kids?
Since HS was killed and it was believed before BS was killed, it appears that his will took precedence over hers.
Also, it appears that the bulk of the estate belonged to BS through Apotex as the primary source of his wealth.

I've often thought of the Paulin family as well. They were a fixture in Scarborough and other parts of southern Ontario. The founder, Harry, then his sons Arthur and Stanley and finally Arthur's son Richard all appeared to be hard working people in a company that was obviously doing well for decades. I used to see their trucks all over the place. It seems that along with JS, AP has the same sense of entitlement. He has had so much handed to him because of Barry. Imagine just being given a pile of money to buy storage facilities and a bunch of cottages.

If FM really doesn't have much to his name, it's like Barry and Honey version 2.0. She was never given money of her own.

I wonder if FM has a job of his own?

MOO
Most people that get such money from others usually burn through it if they are not going to wisely invest it.
It is very easy to lose money with a business through the costs and expenses that are needed to get it started.

It is believed that AP may have the business property side of it and FM may have the personal property side of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrypaul