CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm perplexed. Can you list the information that you feel is outright wrong? I don't believe KD would put anything in writing or in the media with out checking facts.
The impression i had from the post, is that podcasts other than the T. Star & CBC ones, were perhaps less than accurate, imo, speculation.

Maybe, ANOTHER father (BS) and not his own was better to use/manipulate as a financier: more wealthy, more generous, mainly more risk taking? Psychology will have played a role in this, I can imagine.
I get the sense that AP and JS felt they learned enough from how BS gave them interest free loans through Sherfam business dealings and when BS possibly felt they were not using the loan for what they asked for the loan for, or inflated the prices, BS called in loans that JS felt was in breach of his contract that he had no rules to follow and no date to return the money ever, potentially they decided to use BS money to start their own money lending company (Hour Holdings). I recall JS said he did not need all of the 125 million his dad "gave" him. Do we know if he ever returned that extra 75K he said he did not "use/spend"?

Is this what JK meant when he said follow the money? Did BS share with JK that he called in JS loans? I am curious about those emails, it was not mentioned that BK or any Sherfam executive was copied, if BS was recalling Sherfam loans, why not copy them on the emails?

I get the sense that AP and JS felt they learned enough from how BS gave them interest free loans through Sherfam business dealings and when BS possibly felt they were not using the loan for what they asked for the loan for, or inflated the prices, BS called in loans that JS felt was in breach of his contract that he had no rules to follow and no date to return the money ever, potentially they decided to use BS money to start their own money lending company (Hour Holdings). I recall JS said he did not need all of the 125 million his dad "gave" him. Do we know if he ever returned that extra 75K he said he did not "use/spend"?

Is this what JK meant when he said follow the money? Did BS share with JK that he called in JS loans? I am curious about those emails, it was not mentioned that BK or any Sherfam executive was copied, if BS was recalling Sherfam loans, why not copy them on the emails?

I agree with your ideas in your first paragraph. I think there was an issue with loans from Sherfam to Hour Holdings meant for the purchases of two properties in the spring of 2017, imo. (My guess is that AG possibly saw a red flag, but I don’t have proof. It’s just my impression based on Barry insisting on being repaid and the mention of mortgages, then Barry cc’ing AG in the discussion, and how Jonathon wanted to fire AG.)

In late October Barry emailed Jonathon asking him to meet with Jack Kay and himself to go over succession plans, so he was in the loop of the discussions.

In mid-November Barry emailed AP and Jonathon about the mortgages, and AG of Sherfam was cc’d. Barry asked Jonathon to meet with AG to start the process of arranging the mortgages.

We haven’t heard yet about possible emails that were just between Jack Kay, AG and Barry on either the succession plans meeting or the mortgages, but I imagine if they started off the discussions in writing, they likely continued it in writing once it was clear that AP and Jonathon weren’t complying as promised, imo.

Last edited:
What leads you to that assumption?

Hitmen as I refer to them, are individuals hired by conspirator(s) to commit the crime.

Since most of the potential conspirators had alibis, who do you think actually committed the murders?

What I think isn’t relevant to what KD has stated.

It’s not an assumption, it’s what he has said in his Q&As and possibly the podcast as well.

It’s not an assumption, it’s what he has said in his Q&As and possibly the podcast as well.
May 1, 2023 rbbm
David15 DAYS AGO
Do you believe the murder was done by the person who wanted them dead or by a hitman
Reply to David -
David,
the former.

''KATHLEEN GOLDHAR: I wondered what and thought about the idea that it was a professional hit.

SOUNDCLIP
ANNE BROCKLEHURST: That's a popular theory, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, given the circumstances around the murder. I think one hit men don't tend to string people up by their belts or do elaborate stagings. I find it hard to see a hit man tangling with a 70 year old woman in a way that leaves injuries or, you know, using the belts that the Shermans were hanged with were apparently from the scene. I think hitmen usually use their own equipment. It just doesn't make sense to me. The hit man theory.''

Initially you stated "Pretty sure KD doesn’t believe it was hitmen.", which is much different than 'here is a quote where KD states..........'

Now you state it it is what KD said. I am not trying to argumentative, perhaps you can post where KD states no hitman was involved.

The reason I am so focused on this point is, if no hitman was involved, that leads to these questions.
1) Were the actual killers, the person or persons who would benefit from the Sherman's deaths?

2) Who is the Night Walker, the TPS have identified him as a prime suspect. If he was not a hired hitman, is he somehow related (business or family) to the deceased Shermans? As well if he is somehow related to the Shermans, why is it so difficult to identify him?

3) Why are the TPS asking for Court Orders to investigate overseas, and into other financial activities. This seems odd, if no hitman was involved.

4) As I have stated before, KD has done wonderful work on this case. However he is not infallible, and because he has an opinion or a belief about something or someone, there is no guarantee he is right.

Finally, in my opinion, on this forum what you think is very relevant. I see this forum as a place of ideas, opinions, conjecture and open discussion.

I work in the service industry and most of my Christmas money tips are in cash. She was very generous! She expected people to show up on the Friday and was leaving on the following Monday so she would have started giving cleaners, plant waterers etc. their end of year gift, and also her kids and grandkids.
Technically, those who knew from previous years that they would probably be getting a holiday cash bonus gift would most likely not have done anything to harm HS (and BS) which would result in them getting nothing unless the killer would help themselves to all of it which did not happen.

Initially you stated "Pretty sure KD doesn’t believe it was hitmen.", which is much different than 'here is a quote where KD states..........'

Now you state it it is what KD said. I am not trying to argumentative, perhaps you can post where KD states no hitman was involved.

The reason I am so focused on this point is, if no hitman was involved, that leads to these questions.
1) Were the actual killers, the person or persons who would benefit from the Sherman's deaths?

2) Who is the Night Walker, the TPS have identified him as a prime suspect. If he was not a hired hitman, is he somehow related (business or family) to the deceased Shermans? As well if he is somehow related to the Shermans, why is it so difficult to identify him?

3) Why are the TPS asking for Court Orders to investigate overseas, and into other financial activities. This seems odd, if no hitman was involved.

4) As I have stated before, KD has done wonderful work on this case. However he is not infallible, and because he has an opinion or a belief about something or someone, there is no guarantee he is right.

Finally, in my opinion, on this forum what you think is very relevant. I see this forum as a place of ideas, opinions, conjecture and open discussion.
What confuses are the up close and personal strangulations with soft ligatures. Most believe that it would have to be someone who personally knew them somehow. However, some professional killers may kill strangers up close too.

@dotr posted immediately above the passage where KD says he doesn’t think it was a hitman. Here is the passage from the Q&A:

David 16 DAYS AGO

Do you believe the murder was done by the person who wanted them dead or by a hitman?

Kevin 16 DAYS AGO
Reply to David

David, the former.

——————

IMO the international requests more likely relate to foreign-held bank accounts/transfers or communication records (cell phone/text records) generated in a foreign country — in all instances relating to Canadian citizens vs a foreign hitman. Speculation. MOO.

Last edited:

And the Walking Man could be almost anyone. Someone could be disguised in a bulky coat. Including trying to disguise one’s gait. If the WM is involved, surely the WM would be aware of the likelihood of being caught on cameras and would take care to obscure one’s identity. MOO.

fwiw..

'Strangulation Is Personal​

Murder by strangulation tends to be personal, according to Eric Beauregard, Ph.D., a professor at the School of Criminology at Simon Fraser University. He says the murderer likely doesn’t want to remove themselves from the act by stepping back and firing a gun—they prefer placing their hands on the victim and taking away their life, in a close and personal manner.​

“The majority [of these types of murderers] enjoy the personal contact and the fact that they’re the one causing death,” Beauregard tells A&E True Crime. “It’s bringing them a feeling of power and control.”
Some killers prefer strangulation with the option of keeping their victims alive a bit longer.'

Mark Townsend 25 Jan 2014 rbbm.
'They are classified as novices, journeymen, dilettantes or masters. They are Britain's hitmen – killers who ply their deadly trade in return for cash, and who for the first time have become the subject of a major academic study.'

'Researchers found that the average cost of a hit was £15,180, with £100,000 being the highest and £200 the lowest amount paid. The average age of a hitman was 38 with the youngest aged 15 and the oldest 63.'

'Most hits involved a gun, with three victims stabbed, five beaten to death and two strangled'

'Most of the motives uncovered by the study were humdrum, often little more than a business dispute or a domestic falling-out between husbands and wives.'

"Indeed, might it be the case that there are some hitmen who are so adept as killers that the deaths of their victims does not even raise suspicion and are, instead, simply thought to be the result of natural causes?"
said the study, which appears in the latest edition of the Howard Journal of Criminal Justice.''

I agree with your ideas in your first paragraph. I think there was an issue with loans from Sherfam to Hour Holdings meant for the purchases of two properties in the spring of 2017, imo. (My guess is that AG possibly saw a red flag, but I don’t have proof. It’s just my impression based on Barry insisting on being repaid and the mention of mortgages, then Barry cc’ing AG in the discussion, and how Jonathon wanted to fire AG.)

In late October Barry emailed Jonathon asking him to meet with Jack Kay and himself to go over succession plans, so he was in the loop of the discussions.

In mid-November Barry emailed AP and Jonathon about the mortgages, and AG of Sherfam was cc’d. Barry asked Jonathon to meet with AG to start the process of arranging the mortgages.

We haven’t heard yet about possible emails that were just between Jack Kay, AG and Barry on either the succession plans meeting or the mortgages, but I imagine if they started off the discussions in writing, they likely continued it in writing once it was clear that AP and Jonathon weren’t complying as promised, imo.
thank you for noting that Sherfam members were copied on the repayment request to JS and AP.

then I must assume, the Sherfam team know the reason BS asked for the return of funds.

Curious if BS ever recalled any other personal loans when he needed money to pay court losses for Apotex in earlier years?

I think this quote from KD may help:

“11:31 Host: You’ve mentioned the mysterious ‘walking man’ a couple times. We didn’t hear very much about this case for a long time and then about a year ago, four years afterward, there’s a sort of bombshell video of this man with the strange gait – let’s talk a little bit about him like – he’s a suspect? I mean, is it me, like, you know, like is it my imagination, is the thinking that he’s some sort of hitman?

11:50 KD: They haven’t said that he’s a hitman and I personally believe that - and you know, what do I know, I’m just a reporter - but I personally believe that the person who wanted Barry and Honey dead, or the people that wanted them dead, did it themselves. I’ve never believed in the theory of the mysterious overseas hitman. But the police are focused on the ‘walking man’ because Barry and Honey are both home by nine o’clock on that Wednesday evening. Honey’s home at eight o’clock, Barry’s home by nine, and they’re killed pretty soon after that. Canvas by the police of the neighbourhood - eventually, when they get around to doing it - they go through and they see ‘Person X’ out walking their dog, ‘Person Y’, you know, get in their car and drive to a store, and they figure out those people aren’t involved. And they find this one individual – somebody between the height of five feet six and five foot nine – walking in the area of the Sherman home, coming right up to the Sherman home, you know, appearing in a video that shows a person is getting close to the Sherman home, then he disappears, ‘cause there’s no video coverage, and then he reappears about an hour later and proceeds east, away from the Sherman home. That’s their reason for thinking this person is suspicious, and sure, it is suspicious.”

KD has said it many times and his opinion has remained consistent.

He also has said the WM may have been a lookout, so he played a secondary role. My interpretation of that is that the primary killer was close to Barry and Honey and the WM was close to the killer. The police in their news conference about the WM said that he may have been working in concert with another person that night.

What I think is relevant at times, but it has zero relevance to something someone else said.

KD hasn’t stated no hitmen were involved. He had stated that he doesn’t think hitmen were involved. Someone else has provided his quote from the Q and A, no need for me to repeat it.

Sorry I was so conversational the first go around. I didn’t have the source material handy and just assumed people were keeping up with the podcast and Monday Q and As.

Why did you assume the KD believed it was a hitman? I haven’t seen or heard him espouse that opinion anywhere, but you seemed quite certain.

Last edited:
I'm sure that KD has good reasons for believing what he does, but IMO I don't see any of the likely suspects here having the physical prowess or psychological mettle to subdue and strangle two people who were known to them.

I agree with the post that strangulation is typically viewed as personal, given its association with both domestic violence murders and sadistic serial killer types who enjoy the control and the victim's suffering.

But (maybe I read too much) I also associate strangulation with a highly trained and specialized type of person--someone who is ex FSB, special forces, Mossad, etc. That type of person is trained to get in and get out and to improvise if necessary. This person could come in from abroad without having to worry about transporting or acquiring a firearm--instead, they bring special "shoelaces" or similar. They have the physical fitness and mental sang-froid to commit the crime efficiently and stage it just enough to confuse the police for a few days, creating sufficient time for them to get out of the country. They were just a little extra lucky that the police were preoccupied with the McArthur serial killer at the time of the Sherman murders.

I realize this is a little fictive but to me this seems like an efficient hit rather than a "personal" crime. Obviously it could be terribly personal to the individual who commissioned it, but not for the person who executed it. JMO of course.

thank you for noting that Sherfam members were copied on the repayment request to JS and AP.

then I must assume, the Sherfam team know the reason BS asked for the return of funds.

Curious if BS ever recalled any other personal loans when he needed money to pay court losses for Apotex in earlier years?
I thought i read somewhere that BS had given JS and AP fifty million to purchase All city storage. This was based on JS and AP telling BS that was the price. At some point in 2017 he discovered the sale was for thirty million.

Harlo executives have made a bid for the Ottawa Senators. There are four current bids —one for $1 billion. Harlo is the company Jonathon started just before the murders. They started in 2017 providing secondary market mortgages and have expanded to a number of companies under the Harlo umbrella. (Noteworthy because Jonathon started the company loaning money as he was expected to repay Barry $50-60 million. Jonathon told KD he started Harlo as he had ‘cash laying around’.)

“Canadian musical artist The Weeknd reportedly has agreed to be a partner in the group led by Toronto billionaires Jeffrey and Michael Kimel of the Harlo Capital Group in their bid to purchase the Ottawa Senators.”

Quote from older article about Harlo and a conflict with AK:

“With Jonathon focusing his efforts on the business of Sherfam and Apotex, Alexandra has taken up the mantle of the Sherman charitable foundations. In 2019, Alexandra refused to approve a $40-50 million plan Jonathon and one of his business partners, Jonathan Tkatch, had to build a “premium” hockey rink. (Jonathon Sherman and Tkatch have a mortgage company called Harlo Financial, set up just before the murders. Jonathon said in an interview he and partner Adam Paulin “had some cash sitting around for projects.”)

According to emails between Jonathon and Tkatch in April 2019, Jonathon said the hockey rink idea was a plan to build a “premium facility with additional features like training gyms and rehab in order to attract the premium customers to use the facility during the ‘downtime’ (like summer when the leagues are off).” Under the plan, Tkatch wrote, a new Sherman charity would be created to own the rink and Jonathon would have “long-term oversight of the facility.”

In an email describing the rink situation, Alexandra said the plan was “definitely not within the budget or the mandate of our foundations and not at all in line with my parents’…

Jonathon has noted that the rift between himself and Alexandra coincided with a time when, he said, she began suggesting he was “implicated” in the murder of their parents. He dismisses that suggestion. “I am the only person who knows I was not involved.””

I thought i read somewhere that BS had given JS and AP fifty million to purchase All city storage. This was based on JS and AP telling BS that was the price. At some point in 2017 he discovered the sale was for thirty million.

I’ve never heard of the actual purchase price or Barry finding out what it was, do you possibly have a link?

Lexi's fab post #1

''-2016, $5 million of Sherfam money advanced to Hour Holdings (Jonathon’s & Adam Paulin’s company) to purchase a storage company (source KD’s book, pg 259).''

''It is for his cottage and marina on Chandos Lake northeast of Peterborough where, as I reported some time ago, he once told his father he and Paulin wanted $150 million to buy one quarter of the cottages.''

''Barry Sherman had provided at least $125 million to Jonathon and Paulin over the years in the form of interest-free loans registered on title to their storage company, Green Storage, along with money for homes and a cottage. My own review of public land title documents suggested that more than $200 million was made available by Barry, but Jonathon said that he and Paulin only ever needed $125 million of that amount.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unsloved387