Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly why I'm wondering whether Calvin Hoover suspected that his wife Heather, who worked with Christine's father, was having an affair with Christine's father. The violence of this murder against such a small child suggests that something else was going on. I'm wondering whether this is why Heather had a nervous breakdown upon learning that her deceased husband (was he the ex-husband in 2015?) raped, mutilated, humiliated and cut off the head of her co-workers 9 year old child.

It does seem HH was heavily involved in the Jessop’s family dynamics from the reports. I do wonder why Christine’s mother called her that day and told her Christine would be home alone. Was she hoping she’d babysit Christine? She wouldn’t have been a convenient babysitter since HH lived in Toronto so it’s not like they lived next door, plus HH had younger kids of her own so it’s not like she could have come out to their house easily to babysit. Also, there was a bit of an age difference between them. If CH was 28 at the time, then HH must have been in her mid 20’s while Christine’s mother would have been closer to 40 at that time, based on her current age. I don’t imagine them to be super close friends with a 10-15 year age difference? So many questions! I hope she sheds more light about her ex husband to the police once she overcomes her nervous breakdown!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if CH was actually beheaded, or throat slit to near decapitation (I read that in an article that I could see only a portion of, as it was paywalled). With that info and the positioning of the body, the first thing that came to my mind was that the killer wanted to make every effort to ensure wild animals would chomp and peck away at her remains to prevent knowledge of what exactly happened to her. I guess back then, he didn't even think about having to consider what was left behind on her underwear. Jmo.

Hello
Are we even sure that she was left there immediately?

She was abducted before thanksgiving and was found 3 months later
The people who own the trailer next to the location she was found said they would for sure have found her body. And they closed their trailer for winter after thanksgiving.

Which leads me to believe that Christine possibly was alive and held captive by Hoover? his wife possibly knew
I don't think they were able to tell from Christine's remain exactly her time of death. She was decomposing but it's not clear if she died exactly 3 months ago (same day as abduction) or two weeks later.

I'm not sure if CH was actually beheaded, or throat slit to near decapitation (I read that in an article that I could see only a portion of, as it was paywalled). With that info and the positioning of the body, the first thing that came to my mind was that the killer wanted to make every effort to ensure wild animals would chomp and peck away at her remains to prevent knowledge of what exactly happened to her. I guess back then, he didn't even think about having to consider what was left behind on her underwear. Jmo.
Yes, after reading further reports of the crime scene, it sounds like due to the positioning of some of the bones, it "appeared" that her head and waist were not attached to her body. The sweater had apparently been lifted over her head, so it looked like the head was separated and wrapped in the sweater.

It seems as though the killer made no effort to cover up or hide her body. He sexually assaulted her, stabbed her to death and posed her body in the position it was found. The autopsy report suggests that she fought back, due to the nature of the stab wounds, according to one article I read. At least one knife wound cut down to the bone.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was responsible for other missing children. His MO was similar to a serial killer. Usually a perpetrator known to the victim will show some sign of remorse or shame, such as wrapping the body in a blanket or positioning the body as if the victim is sleeping peacefully.

And yes, his biggest mistake was leaving her panties, which were reportedly wrapped around her foot. Otherwise this case never would have been solved.

It does seem HH was heavily involved in the Jessop’s family dynamics from the reports. I do wonder why Christine’s mother called her that day and told her Christine would be home alone. Was she hoping she’d babysit Christine? She wouldn’t have been a convenient babysitter since HH lived in Toronto so it’s not like they lived next door, plus HH had younger kids of her own so it’s not like she could have come out to their house easily to babysit. Also, there was a bit of an age difference between them. If CH was 28 at the time, then HH must have been in her mid 20’s while Christine’s mother would have been closer to 40 at that time, based on her current age. I don’t imagine them to be super close friends with a 10-15 year age difference? So many questions! I hope she sheds more light about her ex husband to the police once she overcomes her nervous breakdown!
I don't think she called HH to tell her Christine would be home alone. According to her son, she called her and told her they were visiting her husband in jail. Apparently Christine was complaining in the background because she wanted to go too, and he speculated that HH may have overheard this and told her husband. At least that's how I understood it.

Christine would not have needed a babysitter since they arrived home at around 4:10 pm, about 25 or 30 minutes after Christine got off the bus and probably only minutes after she had been abducted. She had planned to meet her best friend at the park but never made it. I wonder if Hoover offered to give her a ride there.

As hard as it might be to believe that the body was there for nearly 3 months, this case has proven that conventional wisdom doesn't always apply. We do get snow in this area in early November, so it's entirely possible it was partially covered for the vast majority of the time.
According to Environment Canada, it snowed 14 of the 30 days in November 1984 totalling almost 30cm.

As hard as it might be to believe that the body was there for nearly 3 months, this case has proven that conventional wisdom doesn't always apply. We do get snow in this area in early November, so it's entirely possible it was partially covered for the vast majority of the time.
According to Environment Canada, it snowed 14 of the 30 days in November 1984 totalling almost 30cm.

It's difficult to reconstruct events that happened almost 40 years ago. But assuming Calvin abducted Christine from her home shortly after she arrived and before her mother returned. Then he would drive with her somewhere and at some point she would realize something is wrong. The search party started the same day (?) and according to what I read here Hoover was present at the search.
At that time it seemed like hoover had the typical 8-4 job and probably his wife was stay at home and expect him to arrive at a specific time. Unless he would come up with a reason why he can't do so (which is really suspicious on the day Christine was abducted). That means that nothing was unusual in his schedule then. So what happened then? he committed rape on Christine his clothing and body must have some blood if not soaking from blood (breaking hymen, neck slashing, arteries breaking, chest stabbing) we don't even talk about bruising from Christine's self defence. Then he would have to leave Christine in the woods and take time to clean himself and dispose of the bloody clothing?

So either his wife thought it was normal that he had something to do on this specific day to cause his late return home after murder and cleanup. Or he had left Christine somewhere to get to her on another date?

Did I miss something

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1809388099785

Audio interview about the investigation.

Linden MacIntyre on CH

"... at the time of this crime he was 28 years old.
I mean, this was the work of a deeply damaged human being
that led to this particular crime.
This is something that lurks deep within the spirit and it manifests itself
much before you reach the age of 28, I'm pretty sure.
And it doesn't go away. It sticks around.
Then there's 30 years go by from the time of the crime until the time he dies.
You know I get a little nauseous, when I think of what else might have happened in this guys private moments during all that time.
What must have happened when he felt completely immune to any sort of suspicion after Guy Paul Morin was found guilty. He got away with this, not just like by the skin of his teeth, he got away with this big time."

ETA, LM mentions the cigarette butts at crime scene

Last edited:
At this point, there is no evidence that hooper is a serial killer, but wondering if he should be looked at as though he was one?
If the first kill is usually close to where a perp lives, would that make CJ a later victim, or does the familiarity between hooper and the Jessop's, give the "comfort" associated with residence proximity and thus, CJ is truly his first (and only?) victim?

Most Serial Killers Hunt Close to Home
''The comfort zone of a serial killer is often defined by an anchor point such as a place of residence or employment. Crime statistics reveal that serial killers are most likely to commit their first murder very close to their place of residence due to the comfort and familiarity it offers them.

The majority of serial killers will stick to a well-known hunting ground that is close to their place of residence throughout their killing careers.''

It's difficult to reconstruct events that happened almost 40 years ago. But assuming Calvin abducted Christine from her home shortly after she arrived and before her mother returned. Then he would drive with her somewhere and at some point she would realize something is wrong. The search party started the same day (?) and according to what I read here Hoover was present at the search.
At that time it seemed like hoover had the typical 8-4 job and probably his wife was stay at home and expect him to arrive at a specific time. Unless he would come up with a reason why he can't do so (which is really suspicious on the day Christine was abducted). That means that nothing was unusual in his schedule then. So what happened then? he committed rape on Christine his clothing and body must have some blood if not soaking from blood (breaking hymen, neck slashing, arteries breaking, chest stabbing) we don't even talk about bruising from Christine's self defence. Then he would have to leave Christine in the woods and take time to clean himself and dispose of the bloody clothing?

So either his wife thought it was normal that he had something to do on this specific day to cause his late return home after murder and cleanup. Or he had left Christine somewhere to get to her on another date?

Did I miss something

The police weren't called until 8pm that evening. There is also no indication that CH helped them search that night. It is more likely he joined in the following days.

I'm confused as to whether CH was ever (or when) a neighbour in Queensville.
KJ says that the CH family lived in Toronto at the time of Christine's abduction. Yet news reports suggest otherwise.

I think you have it right-CH lived in Toronto at the time. Helped search for the body and attended the funeral.

Last edited:
Just reading about the Lizzie Tomlinson case,

lizzie tomlinson suspect poster - بحث Google

Notorious Toronto Murders – Toronto’s Jonbenet – Lizzie Tomlinson

LT was taken from Shuter and Sumach Sts in 1980
Suspect " between 25-35 years old, about 5 ft 7, 160-180 lbs, tanned, blue eyed, with long dark brown hair, a beard, possibly left-handed"

Interesting. They charged her cousin who was released by the judge. Cigarettes found near body. What was done with the DNA on the body?
A provincial court judge dismissed a murder charge against...

I think you have it right-CH lived in Toronto at the time. Helped search for the body and attended the funeral.

Many articles such as this one indicate that Hoover was a neighbour.
Christine Jessop's killer helped in search, attended funeral and wake, family says
---

"At the time, Hoover and his wife were neighbours with the Jessop family and police said Hoover may have worked with the father."

"Hoover was part of the ongoing search efforts for his sister after she went missing, attended her funeral and came into their family home for the wake with his wife, Ken said."

And also

"
“He was my dad’s friend,” he said. “We were friends with the wife because we would get together for a barbeque and whatever and the kids would go one way and the wives would go one way the fathers would go another.”

So they would meet for a barbecue I highly doubt that they would be doing barbecues driving quite far.
----

"Ken said prior to leaving for the visit, his mother had phoned his father’s lawyer, his boss and Hoover’s wife."

Also there is no indication which search parties he had joined in the excerpt above. If Christine's mom called Hoover's wife and being open her personal information such as her husband being in jail and other personal matters putting it at equal importance as calling her husband's workplace, lawyer. You wouldn't call somebody random but a closed friend you were communicating closely at that time. Possibly she would also be calling hoover's wife that night as it seemed like their kids were playing together.

Last edited:
I'm confused as to whether CH was ever (or when) a neighbour in Queensville.
KJ says that the CH family lived in Toronto at the time of Christine's abduction. Yet news reports suggest otherwise.
Yeah, I wish we had some confirmation as to where he lived at the time. One article quoted LE as saying he lived nearby and some say he was a neighbor, and others only mention Toronto or Ajax.

I'm interested in hearing what his ex wife has to say about his whereabouts that evening. He must have been gone for hours. I wonder what excuse he gave her and if she ever suspected him. I would think she would remember any unusual behavior, especially since he was involved in some of the searches and apparently attended the funeral.

She is going to have to talk to investigators eventually so they can put the timeline together.

Christine Jessop's family express relief now that they know who killed the nine-year-old girl 36 years ago - CHCH

October 16, 2020
Video, Mrs Jessop and KJ

"We were friends, we saw a fair amount of him socially and they had two boys and all the kids would go and play together."

?: They lived right next door?
KJ: No, no, they lived in Toronto.
We lived in Richmond Hill when we first met them and then we moved to Queensville.

?: what was the relationship like with them after your sister's death and disappearance?

His wife couldn't do enough to help out with the family.
Like I said he was out searching in the fields, supportive. ...

?: Were your families friends for a while after than, even?

KJ: I believe so, ya. For a couple years atleast, and then you know people lose touch over time. People move, you know. Jobs change.

Video @ 9:59

So perhaps KJ has confused the details?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads