Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been going over some of my old notes taken from REDRUM the Innocent by Kirk Makin.
There were a couple of versions of this book released so page numbers are difficult, however.....

Page 353 in my copy discusses Janet Jessop's testimony in the proceedings against GPM.

Janet estimated it was 4:10-4:15 pm when she and Kenny arrived home--but she might have been wrong.
All she really knew for sure was that she called her lawyer at 4:50pm. "I couldn't have been home more than 15 minutes. so maybe my timing is way out as to what time I came home", Janet suggested.
Clayton Ruby was curious as to how Janet could be so sure it was 4:50pm when she called her lawyer.
"Because I looked at the clock deliberately, thinking I had to call this person at that time", Janet said.

Mrs Jessop was clearly asked many times about her actions and movements that day...it is so unfortunate that she did not remember her conversation with Heather Hoover that day too.

JMO

Ohhhh! So she never reported that she had spoken with HH that day?

Maybe I am reading this wrong
, or misunderstood what Joe Warmington meant in his article ....

(Quote) .... Never a suspect, police knew Hoover was a neighbour of the Jessops and worked for the slain girl’s father Robert. The only match from this profile to anything in the Canadian DNA bank was that of Christine Jessop.

WARMINGTON: Final effort to identify Jessop's killer before retiring pays off | Toronto Sun

Sounds to me like police have checked other unsolved cases and Hoovers DNA only showed up in the Jessop case

That’s really super for that officer to leave a legacy of submitting Christine’s DNA and to have it pay off like this! I imagine that would be the highlight of his investigative career!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hoover-family-devastated-by-murder-accusation-1.5771340 This is new today. Interview by a reporter with the detective who’s in charge of the file now. Making progress.
Good article .... as well as the video interview with Toronto police Det. Steve Smith who said

.... "they are just getting started investigating everything Hooper has possibly done" ...

I am sure we all have mixed feelings such as... it would be great if it solved some old/cold cases ..... but even better if he never harmed anyone else.

Im absolutely floored right now. My mom lived near Queensville when this all went down, and as a result became super protective over me because she knew what people were capable of. I still have my moms original copy of Redrum the Innocent that I have read a million times.

Glad to know there is anwsers for the family, sad to know he didn't get thrown in a cell for his heinous crimes. I wonder how close he lived to Nicole Morin.
Not that close. He lived in Richmond Hill by the sound of it and she lived in Etobicoke. Definitely a drivable distance (about 30 minutes back in the 80's, I would think). The question would be, how would he know her? Perhaps related to his work like with Christine?

Ohhhh! So she never reported that she had spoken with HH that day?

I do not know if the phone call was mentioned to LE or not but if it was LE would have been aware that HH was one of the few people that knew Mr, Jessop was in jail and that Christine would be home alone.

KJ has been steadfast that whomever murdered his sister knew his Dad was in jail and knew Christine would be home alone and the killer used the ruse of taking her to visit her Father.

I am just trying to understand, like many others, how CH (one of the limited few that would know the 2 important points above ) flew under the radar of everyone for so long.

Maybe HH will have a recollection of this phone call and any details she may have shared with CH.

I do not know if the phone call was mentioned to LE or not but if it was LE would have been aware that HH was one of the few people that knew Mr, Jessop was in jail and that Christine would be home alone.

KJ has been steadfast that whomever murdered his sister knew his Dad was in jail and knew Christine would be home alone and the killer used the ruse of taking her to visit her Father.

I am just trying to understand, like many others, how CH (one of the limited few that would know the 2 important points above ) flew under the radar of everyone for so long.

Maybe HH will have a recollection of this phone call and any details she may have shared with CH.

Yes, it's inconceiveable that that was not reported to the police and followed up on. Even if Durham and York Police ignored it, the Toronto cold case squad would have checked years later.
My guess is, that just like the disputed time when they arrived home, they couldn't remember the details of who they called.

So I guess that goes to show that profilers aren't always correct. If I'm not mistaken, it was John Douglas, a profiler from the US who at some point worked on CJ's case and created the profile in question (was there more than one done? I'm not sure t one honest). This is concerning, because he also had a hand in another as yet unsolved atrocity - Jon Bennett Ramsey... And he was very adamant in his position as to who done it on that particular case as well, if I recall correctly. In Christine's case he thought the killer's parents may have been having marital troubles, and may have been pressuring him to find a job..... meanwhile... CH was employed, married and had kids.....
For Janet Jessop, October is a time to mourn murdered daughter Christine all over again

This article was written in 2012. There seems to be different versions of some details by different media.

This article says that "On Wednesday, Oct. 3, 1984, after Christine got off the school bus, she went home, but no one was there. Her father was at work and her mother was running errands.”
This is different from what was reported elsewhere because the father was in jail.

"Haphazard knife wounds on her torso suggest the killer quickly lost control.
"The crime scene was somewhat very much disorganized and sloppy … therefore the offender will have characteristics that are disorganized and sloppy," Douglas concluded.”
This must explain why the FBI profiler stated he was likely a sloppy dresser.

"Douglas wondered if the killer's parents were experiencing marital problems and pressuring him to find a job. Perhaps he had with a girlfriend. He might also have facial scars. Odds are that he had a criminal record for arson and cruelty to animals. He was likely a night owl.”
I wonder what would make them think he had facial scars.

The article goes on to say, “ She draws hope from American cold case television programs, in which killers are brought to justice, years after the crimes.
“I'm just wondering,” she says. “A lot of cases have been solved that are 30 years old.
Is it feasible to have someone from the States that has solved these cases?”
That’s precisely what ended up taking place!

"She still has regular contact with her adoptive son Kenny. Kenny confessed in court that he and a neighbour had sex with his younger sister Christine several times. After he heard that news, Bob Jessop publicly announced he was no longer speaking with his adopted son, although Kenny was cleared by police of any involvement in the murder.”
That explains their estrangement. The article also says JJ and BJ split up in the 90s.

Last edited:
Yes, it's inconceiveable that that was not reported to the police and followed up on. Even if Durham and York Police ignored it, the Toronto cold case squad would have checked years later.
My guess is, that just like the disputed time when they arrived home, they couldn't remember the details of who they called.

It really is shocking that he flew under the radar!

There were a couple of reports by people in the area that they had seen a blue car and someone subduing a child while driving. I don't think there is certainty of the accuracy of these statements, but there seems to have been more than one reported. One mentioned Ravenshoe Road.
Hopefully through vehicle records and his ex wife's memory they can determine the car he drove back in october 1984.

I do hope she opens up to LE and shares honestly about what she knows. What I keep wondering is if CH had assaulted Christine during any of his visits. How often was he there visiting them? There were reports from last week, I believe from KJ, who said the Hoovers even babysat them occasionally too. I don’t believe this was his first assault on her at all before he took it to this next level. I kind of found it weird to hear the family say, “he saw his opportunity and he took it”.

Edited to add source for babysitting comment:

Who was Calvin Hoover? The man Toronto police say killed 9-year-old Christine Jessop in 1984
I've read so much on this case over the years, I forget the exact source of this, BUT I remember Chrsitine brushing off a prank caller shortly before she went missing. Perhaps that was CH? I believe I may have read this in Redrum....sorry of that's not where I saw it...I am 100% it is documented though.

Can’t wait for Hoover’s obituary to come out. I can archive it with other posthumously identified killers.

On a side note, Hoover is giving me serious Harold Warren Jarrell vibes.

No, but, I have genealogical information that he was born in 1956 in Toronto, Ontario and his registered name is Calvin Dana Hoover.

Here is his record for marrying JR in Nevada in 2003 for the timeline.

Dana is his middle name, as referenced by 2 different Hoover family trees - Calvin Dana Hoover born 1956 in Toronto, Ontario, CA.

Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005
MARRIAGE & DIVORCE
Record information.
Name
Calvin Dana Hoover
Spouse
Joanne Rocca
Marriage
18/08/2003 (18 Aug 2003) Clark

RBBM,
Not that close. He lived in Richmond Hill by the sound of it and she lived in Etobicoke. Definitely a drivable distance (about 30 minutes back in the 80's, I would think). The question would be, how would he know her? Perhaps related to his work like with Christine?

Interesting. Christine's father and Heather Hoover worked together at Eastern Independent Telecom (EIT). She was the receptionist.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hoover-family-devastated-by-murder-accusation-1.5771340
Heather and Calvin Hoover were living in Toronto in 1984 when Christine Jessop was murdered. Toronto Police said the Hoovers had a "friendly acquaintance" relationship with the Jessop family at the time.

Police last week said Calvin Hoover had a "neighbour relationship" with the Jessop family, but have since clarified there is no evidence he lived nearby. Heather had worked with Christine's father Bob at Eastern Independent Telecom.

EIT's Toronto office is in Etobicoke.
Eastern Independent Telecom - Telecommunications Equipment & Supplies - Etobicoke

How did you find this out?

I think your date for Christine Jessop’s death is wrong. She went missing October 3, 1984 and was found Dec. 31, 1984.
Thanks for the correction. Reading too many articles with too many dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth