Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word yet on where he worked?

There is no doubt in my mind that his family didn't know, including HH.

They are additional victims of CH, IMO.

I wonder why HH and CH got divorced? I don't think it is fair to state that HH (and his family) knew that he killed Christine. She would only know if he confessed to doing it. This may come out, but if not, denial is a powerful defense mechanism. But it is great to learn that HH is co-operating with the investigation. There is no doubt that she is a victim, as are their children.

No, but, I have genealogical information that he was born in 1956 in Toronto, Ontario and his registered name is Calvin Dana Hoover.

Here is his record for marrying JR in Nevada in 2003 for the timeline.

Dana is his middle name, as referenced by 2 different Hoover family trees - Calvin Dana Hoover born 1956 in Toronto, Ontario, CA.

Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005
MARRIAGE & DIVORCE
Record information.
Name
Calvin Dana Hoover
Spouse
Joanne Rocca
Marriage
18/08/2003 (18 Aug 2003) Clark

Do you have a link to the family trees by chance? I thought I'd found him connected to a Hoover family in Ohio, but I think this information was wrong... though they also had a Calvin who lived in Toronto (weird coincidence!) I have found very little via Google.

I wonder why HH and CH got divorced? I don't think it is fair to state that HH (and his family) knew that he killed Christine. She would only know if he confessed to doing it. This may come out, but if not, denial is a powerful defense mechanism. But it is great to learn that HH is co-operating with the investigation. There is no doubt that she is a victim, as are their children.

I agree, unless there’s more to it, speculating the ex-wife might’ve known is extremely unfair. And unreliable spouses who don’t come home immediately after work and then lie about their whereabouts isn’t all that unusual in unhealthy marriages on the road to falling apart. CH obviously wasn’t a perfect husband.

After the divorce there’d be absolutely no reason for the ex to stay silent, if she knew.

JMO

Missing Children Database
Search, Ontario,
oldest to most recent

Missing Children Database: Lloyd (Eric) Larsfolk
Missing since August 24, 1981, Caledon

Missing Children Database: Nicole Morin
Missing since July 30, 1985, Etobicoke

Missing Children Database: Amber Potts-Jaffary
Missing since November 26, 1988, Etobicoke
MISSING: Etobicoke teen not seen since confrontation with parents in 1988
"she climbed into the car of a stranger she'd flagged down on Lakeshore Boulevard West in south Etobicoke"

Missing Children Database: Mistie Murray
Missing since May 31, 1995, Goderich

Missing Children Database: Holly Painter
Missing since June 26, 1995, Toronto
"Holly Painter was last seen near the intersection of Kindston Road and Warden in Toronto, ON."

Missing Children Database: Jami Furnandiz
Missing since October 15, 1997, Port Perry
Looking for information on an unsolved disappearance. : UnsolvedMurders
"She went missing in Oshawa, Ontario, around the Coulbourne St. area"

Missing Children Database: Nancy Liou
Missing since January 27, 1999, Toronto
"Last seen at her home in Toronto, ON."

There are also cold case homicides and missing women, ages early 20’s, Toronto/GTA and nearby cottage country, 1980s, 1990s.
Christine Prince, Lisa Maas, Lois Hanna, Deborah Silverman, Margaret McWilliams.
Christine Prince’s body was found in a river near Toronto Zoo, after abduction near Yonge & St Clair, Toronto. Case probably connected to Lisa Maas, missing near Owen Sound, because in both cases, victim I.D. was tossed from a vehicle. Nearby to Maas’s home, same summer, Lois Hanna went missing in Kincardine vicinity. Silverman taken from Yonge & Eglinton.

I wonder if he left a suicide note when he died. He must have been depressed
I've read so much on this case over the years, I forget the exact source of this, BUT I remember Chrsitine brushing off a prank caller shortly before she went missing. Perhaps that was CH? I believe I may have read this in Redrum....sorry of that's not where I saw it...I am 100% it is documented though.

What was the nature of the prank call?

I wonder if he left a suicide note when he died. He must have been depressed

What was the nature of the prank call?
I found the info! It was in Makins book, (I have the hardcover, copyright 1992). Strange calls are mentioned twice.

On page 42, "Three of Christine's friends mentioned the mysterious calls Christine had been receiving. She told each of them the caller would speak briefly and abruptly hang up...." Kellie (Christine's babysitter) is also quoted on page 42, (just prior to Christine's abduction) as saying, "christine answered the phone and then hung up, looking upset. She just sort of shook her head and said 'strange'."

On page 32, "The sexual assault theory was enhanced by a series of four phone calls that came into the jessop's residence within hours of Christine's disappearance. The caller held a long silence before hanging up."

I wonder if they still have the cigarette butt(s) found at the site of Christine's body...or at least a good picture. Would be interesting to see if CH smoked and if the brand of cigarettes could be identified as his. I'm not a smoker myself, but all the smokers I know have a specific brand.

I wonder if they still have the cigarette butt(s) found at the site of Christine's body...or at least a good picture. Would be interesting to see if CH smoked and if the brand of cigarettes could be identified as his. I'm not a smoker myself, but all the smokers I know have a specific brand.
I remember reading somewhere that back in those days, crime scene rules were lax, common sense was not so common. The police officers on site were smoking and discarding their butts at the scene which contaminated it. They couldn’t use the evidence because they didn’t know if it belonged to the killer or the officers. However, if they actually did keep all the butts, it would be interesting to find out if one belonged to the killer. Although it is probably cost prohibitive to do DNA testing on all of them. They already know who did it, so they probably wouldn’t want to spend more money figuring this out.

I found the info! It was in Makins book, (I have the hardcover, copyright 1992). Strange calls are mentioned twice.

On page 42, "Three of Christine's friends mentioned the mysterious calls Christine had been receiving. She told each of them the caller would speak briefly and abruptly hang up...." Kellie (Christine's babysitter) is also quoted on page 42, (just prior to Christine's abduction) as saying, "christine answered the phone and then hung up, looking upset. She just sort of shook her head and said 'strange'."

On page 32, "The sexual assault theory was enhanced by a series of four phone calls that came into the jessop's residence within hours of Christine's disappearance. The caller held a long silence before hanging up."

It's not clear when this exactly happened? according to all theories she was abducted right away after school possibly from inside her house. So the calls discussed previously were they days prior?

Also possibly the killer/ hoover was checking in if she was present at home. So if she responded and he heard sounds in the back it meant she was alone and so forth. I know golden state killer did that with his victims he would be calling for months to find a schedule of the victim to get to him at a vulnerable moment when the victim is alone at home.

However, kids prank called all the time through land line phones. It could have easily been the boys that were molesting her. And these could be unrelated.

I am wondering if they checked if there were any calls answered or missed calls from the time Janet left home until her return.

Just putting this in one spot, to be edited later.
HH worked at Eastern Independent Telecom (with Christine's father).
CH divorced HH and married JH.
In her obit, it is mentioned she worked at or with Cygnal, IBM, ISM, Norstan, and Datacrown/Crowntek (now IBM).
A quick Google shows all of these seem to have offices in that GTA area, so for a timeline purpose I think the LE will be able to quickly nail down his places of residence.
It had been said by CJ's dad that some wiring installation work he had done at a police station with CH. If it is telecommunications stuff, I shudder to think of the free roam he was given in the city.

Another point was made that CH and HH had declared bankruptcy three times prior to divorce. When people wonder what CH was doing at the time of the murder, the answer might simply be "nothing".

Last edited:

Was there not call tracing technology on these calls in the 1980's? I can't recall.

Surely back then, even without DNA technology, police could have investigated where those calls had originated from? What were their findings? Or did they not bother doing that either?

Just putting this in one spot, to be edited later.
HH worked at Eastern Independent Telecom (with Christine's father).
CH divorced HH and married JH.
In her obit, it is mentioned she worked at or with Cygnal, IBM, ISM, Norstan, and Datacrown/Crowntek (now IBM).
A quick Google shows all of these seem to have offices in that GTA area, so for a timeline purpose I think the LE will be able to quickly nail down his places of residence.
As well, and I will delete it if I'm wrong but I have to go back and look for it, I could have sworn that a member of LE stated that their only known contact with CH was through some installation work he had done at a station. If it is telecommunications stuff, I shudder to think of the free roam he was given in the city.

Another point was made that CH and HH had declared bankruptcy three times prior to divorce. When people wonder what CH was doing at the time of the murder, the answer might simply be "nothing".
Wasn't it CJS father who said he thought CH may have done an installation with him at a police station somewhere? I had discounted that since I had also read that it was CH'S wife and not CH himself, whom had worked with BJ, and also that BJ is in early stage of Alzheimers.

Wasn't it CJS father who said he thought CH may have done an installation with him at a police station somewhere? I had discounted that since I had also read that it was CH'S wife and not CH himself, whom had worked with BJ, and also that BJ is in early stage of Alzheimers.
It was CJ's dad that said CH helped him with wiring the police station.

I have been scouring facebook, and saw a post on the day the news broke about CH from someone who wrote a condolence onthe obituary wall of JH. She mentioned CH name specifically in the condolence, which leads me to beleive that she knew or worked with him specifically. On facebook, this person said she is "In complete SHOCK" and Sent a virtual hugs to past Norstan peeps....
My guess is at some point, CH was an employee at Norstan. I am now googling the company to find out more info:)

Interesting, CH reportedly helped search for Christine and attended the funeral. Yet GPM did not, as if to suggest that proved a “consciousness of guilt”. I think we often form an opinion based on people’s behaviour and whether or not we think they acted ‘normal’ depending on the circumstances, even though it’s an absolutely meaningless indication of guilt or innocence. But it indeed can influence a jury.

Reading the facts mentioned in the Inquiry also comes my answer to why CH was never named a suspect after GRM’s acquittal. The initial investigation was so flawed and manipulated toward proving GRM was guilty that it’d have been impossible to convict anyone else using that same testimony and evidence.

From the Inquiry, about “Consciousness of Guilt” —
https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov...rings/exhibits/OPC/pdf/60_Kaufman_Summary.pdf
One of the elements of consciousness of guilt that was put forward to the jury by the Crown attorneys was Mr. Morin’s failure to join the search for Christine Jessop, his failure to attend her funeral and his failure to express his condolences to the family.

Much of the ‘consciousness of guilt’ evidence not only should not have been left with the jury on that basis, but should not have been admitted at all. The failure to search for Christine Jessop was worthless evidence and ought to have been excluded. The situation was compounded in that Morin’s answer as to why he did not search on one day was shown to be wrong, and his explanation was left to the jury as further evidence of his consciousness of guilt.

Mr. Morin’s failure to express condolences also was worthless evidence and ought not to have been admitted.

Mr. Morin’s failure to attend the funeral or funeral home was worthless evidence and ought not be have been admitted. Again, the situation was compounded in that Morin’s answer (that he was not invited) was, not surprisingly, used to reflect upon his credibility. The issue should never have been before the jury in the first place.

The introduction of all of this evidence, together with other problematic evidence of consciousness of guilt, was bound to have had, in its accumulation, a significant effect on the jury. The leading of this evidence demonstrated that the prosecution sought to squeeze every drop out of the information available to them, to support their case.

Was there not call tracing technology on these calls in the 1980's? I can't recall.
They were certainly able to bill for long distance calls back then, so surely the phone co's records could have been obtained by police to get a lead on those calls.. and on the calls made that day from the Jessop home too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bannosusan5