Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have not watched these they contain some good information and footage.

Thanks for posting these! I’m just watching the Fifth Estate one. What a well-spoken, humble and gentle man GPM is! A man with such character and integrity. I can’t imagine how it must have been for him and his family back then.

From what I can tell, there never was any factual evidence Christine was abducted from her home. That theory was based on the wrongful accusations that GPM, a neighbour, was the killer.

As all we can do is speculate, so it’s possible after Christine was dropped off by the bus and as nobody was home she left to go to a local playground or wherever kids hung out at that time. On her way she was abducted by CH and it just happened he knew her family. (“Hey want a ride?”) That would make it a crime of opportunity as well, as opposed to Christine being a specifically targeted victim.....my opinion only.

The reason I was thinking about this is because CBC recently corrected the statement about the home abduction to be “unknown”.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/christine-jessop-news-conference-1.5763673
Corrections
  • A previous version of this story stated that Christine Jessop was abducted from her home. In fact, that is not known.
    Oct 16, 2020 9:51 AM ET

While there is no "proof" of her abduction from home, there is very strong indications of such. For example, her coat that she was known to be wearing when she left school and had on at the store was found in the house ---hung on a hook that was too high for her to have reached herself. Her bicycle was haphazardly tossed on it's side Christine apparently used to kick-stand it up). Here's a source from last year's article on the 35th anniversary of her murder ...

MANDEL: After 35 years, family demands ... Who killed Christine Jessop? | Toronto Sun
DNA evidence would exonerate him in 1995 and a scathing inquiry report three years later would slam key players in the justice system for tailoring the evidence to suit their mistaken theory. That included police bullying Janet into changing her evidence about the timeline, fabricating evidence about cigarette butts found at the body site and even floating a fake FBI profile to spook Morin.
And still her family waits.

We sit by the lake, far from the Queensville farmhouse where Christine’s pink jacket had been hung on a rung too high for her to reach that October day and her beloved bike knocked on its side.

And a more recent one:
'It all fits': Christine Jessop’s brother, Kenney, shares theory on how his sister was abducted by Calvin Hoover
Christine went to the convenience store to buy gum after returning to an empty home after school.

Upon arriving back at home, Kenney believes Christine found Calvin.

It was at this point that Calvin likely hung up her coat, which the family and police later discovered on a hook that was far too high for her to reach, Kenney said.

Her family has insisted for years that it had to be someone who knew she'd be home by herself that afternoon after school. IMO, I think he was waiting inside for her ... with a ready story about taking her to see her dad.

While there is no "proof" of her abduction from home, there is very strong indications of such. For example, her coat that she was known to be wearing when she left school and had on at the store was found in the house ---hung on a hook that was too high for her to have reached herself. Her bicycle was haphazardly tossed on it's side Christine apparently used to kick-stand it up). Here's a source from last year's article on the 35th anniversary of her murder ...

MANDEL: After 35 years, family demands ... Who killed Christine Jessop? | Toronto Sun

And a more recent one:
'It all fits': Christine Jessop’s brother, Kenney, shares theory on how his sister was abducted by Calvin Hoover

Her family has insisted for years that it had to be someone who knew she'd be home by herself that afternoon after school. IMO, I think he was waiting inside for her ... with a ready story about taking her to see her dad.

The early posts which begin in 2012 on thread #1 of this case are also quite fascinating especially because at that time the killer was unknown. Different theories were tossed about, many of which could still be strong possibilities even with CH’s identity known.

I doubt it’ll ever be possible to know the true sequence of events - too much time has passed and the initial investigation was downright shoddy - not knowing might be a good thing in terms of dignity toward the young victim. Even though the killer can’t be convicted, at least it’s no longer a cold case and finally offers the Jessop family with answers as to who was the despicable culprit.

The early posts which begin in 2012 on thread #1 of this case are also quite fascinating especially because at that time the killer was unknown. Different theories were tossed about, many of which could still be strong possibilities even with CH’s identity known.

I doubt it’ll ever be possible to know the true sequence of events - too much time has passed and the initial investigation was downright shoddy - not knowing might be a good thing in terms of dignity toward the young victim. Even though the killer can’t be convicted, at least it’s no longer a cold case and finally offers the Jessop family with answers as to who was the despicable culprit.

Do you have a link to the early posts please? I wasn’t aware there was another thread.

Do you have a link to the early posts please? I wasn’t aware there was another thread.
If you go back to the beginning of this thread you can read some of the posts from 2012. Many of Christine's brother's posts are interesting. He provides many details about the second trial. He had a good theory but had the wrong suspect in mind. He always said it had to be one of the four people who knew Christine was going to be alone that day.

I don't know how to find the first thread through this site. I found it on line by googling Christine's name and Websleuths.

To address the speculation of her taken at the store. If she was, did her bike mystically fly home? If she was going to the park to play cabbage patch dolls and she was picked up at the store, Why was the doll found in her room. Its plain and simple, she got home, we weren't there, went on her bike to the store, came home, and was taken, she went willingly because she knew the person, and took her recorder to show her dad because she saw me take my medals won the night before to show him.
This is Ken's theory that Christine was taken from the home. The bike ride to the store would have taken 4 or 5 minutes. He believed she rode her bike there and back. It was found in a "fallen state" after she went missing. Her family said she never left it that way.

I think for the theory you are pretty much right on, but he was in the house waiting for her, hung her jacket up and waited for her to grab the recorder to show her dad. Because she left the recorder there to get gum. Her CB doll was found in her room, She knew I was taking the medals I had won the night b4 in baseball. That was the huge arguement. So for her to drop the bike run to grab the recorder she had gotten just that day, I believe shows she was duped by someone who knew the sit. Then by going the wrong way, she started fussing and he tried pushing her down. and was seen. Then out of frustration he punched her causing the facial injuries. If it was a stranger, why would she be sitting in the front seat with the recorder? She would be in the trunk, or at least subdued in the house.
Here is another post by Ken. He believes she was attacked in the car in order to subdue her, causing some of her facial injuries.

There was a lot of debate about the blue car sighting as to which way it was going and exactly where it was seen. I guess we'll have a better idea if that was the abduction vehicle when we learn what kind of car Hoover had back then.

Here is another post by Ken. He believes she was attacked in the car in order to subdue her, causing some of her facial injuries.

There was a lot of debate about the blue car sighting as to which way it was going and exactly where it was seen. I guess we'll have a better idea if that was the abduction vehicle when we learn what kind of car Hoover had back then.

I read the Kaufmann reports above ^^^ and the couple who gave a description of the driver doesn’t match CH though.

There was a media report though that someone had seen Christine at the store with her recorder and two guys in a car waiting at the lights at the corner who saw her with her recorder. Also in the Kauffman report, it talked about her bike being moved and her jacket was moved too. They let so many people into the house that they couldn’t decipher what was what by the end of the evening.

I had read these lengthy pieces once before and I read them again today with different eyes that were looking for different things!
I thought some of you might find them interesting.

Investigation by York Police:
Canada: Kaufman Commission - Guy Paul Morin - Police - Investigation by York Police

Investigation by Durham Police:
Canada: Kaufman Commission - Guy Paul Morin - Body site evidence

The way they bungled this case is incredible! And it doesn’t seem that any of those police officers were held responsible in the end. One case was stayed due to his health.

If this report is correct, Jessops were neighbours to Hoovers in Queensville, as well as with the Morins.

“At the time, Hoover and his wife were neighbours with the Jessop family and police said Hoover may have worked with the father.”
Christine Jessop's killer helped in search, attended funeral and wake, family says

Hoover did not live in Queensville at the time. Both JJ and KJ have confirmed this since the news broke last week. He lived in Richmond Hill or Toronto.

"Redgrave said it was earlier this year that he received data from a DNA sample provided by Toronto Police that had been sitting in a cold-case file
for more than 30 years.

The process produced a genetic tree that's called a "dendrograph." Redgrave says this took him six months.

On Aug. 7, Redgrave submitted Calvin Hoover as a "candidate for indentification" to Toronto police."

Last edited:
I read the Kaufmann reports above ^^^ and the couple who gave a description of the driver doesn’t match CH though.
Well, there's no way to know if that was the car that Christine was in. Some argued that it was going the wrong direction to have been involved in the abduction. It could have been a man and his child in the front seat, and it just looked like he was pushing her down. Several witnesses can see the same person and all have different descriptions of what they looked like. The child in the car could have been reaching down to the floor to pick something up.

There was also a report of a dark green or blue car parked near the Jessop's driveway around the time she disappeared. I don't
remember which witness it was or if it was the same car or a different one.

Either way, Hoover had to have taken her in a vehicle and at some point, Christine must have realized something was wrong. He may have done something to subdue her or restrain her if she struggled. The assault could have started in the car before taking her to the more secluded location in the woods.

There was also mention of a white car parked along the road near where the body was found. Does anybody remember what time that was or who saw it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor