Canada - Connor, 6, & Noah Barthe, 4, killed by python, Campbellton, NB, 5 Aug 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Snake poop smells like death - that was what i did not like- but snakes are not fed every day, every week or couple of weeks or once a month. Venting system good idea.
My snakes, 2 of them(the others excepted cage life even though the others absconded) they remembered , and they would push, this big snake had probably been pushing at a weakness for years.
I just read a paper on snakes, it said they have no intelligence, brains are too small. maybe they could explain to me why i could sit outside with my african house snake, it would'nt take off and it would follow me home (freaked me out) it also escaped quite often, very friendly snake, it liked to sit on top of my head(thats heat seeking)

you can't really tell a snake to attack unlike a dog, if the parent wants to lay blame for the snake attack, then thats their call, but maybe they would just like to let their children rest. jmo

BBM

Well thank you for that as I :offtobed: I'm probably gonna count sheep and they'll be eaten in mid air by a irritated python! :scared: With smelly poop no less!!

you are very welcome Steely Dan, sweet (smelly) dreams :)

I would have yelled that, and then I would have him taken for a drug test for even thinking he could.

Ok there are two possible answers here;

1. You're hubby survived and you are both now happy and healthy.

2. Your husband passed away and you are living large on the $2,000,000 life insurance policy you bought on him just days before the "unfortunate" bite.

Jeez, I gotta get out of this board's mindset every now and again. :floorlaugh:

BBM

I hate you!! But I don't mean that in a bad way. Oh, hell yes I do. I'm gonna have the willies all night and I haven't seen a snake around here for the 13 years I've lived here. :eek:

:snake: :scared:

You would die if you saw what I see regularly on the trails I run on! TONS of rattlers out there in the canyon. On one trail off the beach (where I took my bike one day, there were dozens of them rattling away in the middle of a hot day on either side of me as i rode up the hill. I was petrified.

Another time on another trail, there were a few rattling away on the sides of the single-track trail as we hiked. I felt totally sick and it took FOREVER to get out of there. It was another hot day.

One my regular trail, I see them about four or five times per year. But last year I had two horrible encounters. On one occasion, I nearly stepped right on a long snake (about 4.5 feet) stretched across the trail that my running partner and my dog had just ran over without knowing. I stopped in the nick of time (it was dusk - nautical dusk so pretty dark) and jumped back. It got pissed and coiled and started rattling. I was stuck on the hill for a long time, as it kept getting darker, waiting for it to slither away. Totally freaky! I never knew until then that rattlers come out at night.

The second time was about 10 months later. I decided to run up a single track trail to mark some time because my running partner was still behind me (I had taken a shortcut that day and so I was now ahead). This time it was also nautical dusk.

As I ran up the trail I suddenly heard violent thrashing in the brush near my head (the trail is cut into the hill, so the brush on one side was near my head level). I stopped dead and saw the ugliest, hugest, reddish rattler, that was just coiling, rattling and with it's head up and back. It was totally thick. Not sure about the length but this was the thickest one I have seen - a little bigger around than a small water bottle. Scared the crappola out of me. I ran back off that trail so quick. I think it felt me running up as it began to try to cross the trail, got startled and mad as hell.

Rattlers really scare me! But i admit I keep running at dusk. It's so much cooler and the only time I have time! But I keep a sharp eye out, let me tell you!

Here's a photo of the position that last one was in, kind of, except I feel like it;s rattler was behind it and it;s head higher!
AWRP041705_26.jpg

Or like this one:
medium_rattlesnake_6962.jpg

Freaky!!

you are a brave woman ginita1, i respect snakes, but i would'nt walk an area where rattlers were heat seeking.
the snake in the death of the children, was not a wild snake, the situation is very extraordinary, but the snake fell, its the first time(or second) its had this freedom in a decade.
most snake breeders keep their snakes in tupper/plastic containers, the snakes never see the lite of day, true snakes are not dogs - but as any life form they get -a little crazy with the confinment. as the professionals say extraordinary. jmo

OMG - this could be 'a dingo took my baby' -

but seriously when does a snake not eats its prey???? I have a hard time believing the snake decided to strangle two boys by landing on top of them and then just leave them.
An opportunity to kill prey would mean that the kids would have been crushed and mashed into a pulp. (no disrespect from imagery intended)
It is very unlikely the boys would have been snuffed out by the weight of the snake on top of them. Death from suffocation from a snake would have to be a very different from an idle pillow
suffocation. .... Just some thoughts.

Garter snakes are endangered since 1967. Mostly because people collect them and keep them as pets. I encounter MANY of them on my walks but I will never cage one.

Huh??? There are thirteen sub-species of garter snakes ALL OVER North America and only one or two sub-species that live in highly populated areas are endangered.

And FYI I did not "catch" these snakes in the wild. They are NOT an endangered sub-species. They are captive bred eastern albino flames purchased from a breeder several states away, they have been selectively bred for several generations to produce colors not typically found in nature.

Please don't imply others are breaking the law or decimating wild populations by stealing endangered species from the wild without any understanding of the facts.

I just read a paper on snakes, it said they have no intelligence, brains are too small.

Honestly any fool (including "scientists") can write papers on what they think others experience and that includes intelligence. Several decades ago doctors and scientists didn't think infants were capable of feeling pain and they used to perform major surgeries on them without anesthesia, they simply decided the screaming and contorting was an involuntary reflex and not a sign that the baby was suffering.

Even now some say birds have a low level of intelligence because their brains are similar to a reptile brain, since then it has been proven that many birds are as intelligent as a 5 year old child (in those ways that can be compared).

Same applies to snakes, just because they experience their world differently that does NOT mean they are stupid.

most snake breeders keep their snakes in tupper/plastic containers, the snakes never see the lite of day, true snakes are not dogs - but as any life form they get -a little crazy with the confinment. as the professionals say extraordinary. jmo

That is often true and sad. Mine are kept in display tanks in the main living area and they spend a great deal of time watching the others in the household, as soon as they see we are up in the morning their little faces are plastered to the front of the glass to keep a eye on the happenings. They are a very busy and curious species that is nosy about the happenings in their environment.

This is so sad, I'm also terribly confused by so much of it... I'll hold off on passing judgement until I know more, but I too can't fight this hinky feeling.

Rattlers really scare me! But i admit I keep running at dusk. It's so much cooler and the only time I have time! But I keep a sharp eye out, let me tell you!

For God's sake woman if you don't already have some lower leg snake chaps get some! If you get bit because you accidentally run over a rattler you are going to get messed up bad!

You can get 17" chaps to wear over your running shoes. If your friend is taking her dog into that area I hope she has gotten him vaccinated against rattle snake venom too.

Venomous snakes bites are often horrendously bad.

SnakeArmor-Gaiters_medium.jpg

https://www.turtleskin.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SNAKEGAITER

...returning to Connor and Noah:

"A vigil will be held tonight to honour the two boys who were found dead after a large snake escaped from its enclosure above an exotic pet store in Campbellton, N.B.

--

Autopsies were performed on Tuesday to determine the exact cause of the two boys' deaths. RCMP Sgt. Alain Tremblay said Tuesday that it wasn't clear when results would be available, but he expected they would shed some light on what happened to the boys."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/08/07/new-brunswick-snake-boys-vigil.html

And AHA! Timeline of alleged snake capture established:

Savoie told investigators he managed to trap the snake -- which police said weighed approximately 100 pounds -- in a cage before alerting authorities.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/snake-...where-they-slept-rcmp-1.1399386#ixzz2bHgGd1ZZ

Now what does that tell me... Savoie saw the dead boys, who are meant to be like family to him.

He saw those small, dead bodies -- and does he call the police? Paramedics? Does he run and grab his son and take him out of the house where his little dead friends lay, and then call the children's mother?

No. He spends however long it takes to catch the 14ft snake which is apparently down a hole in his living room and cages it. All the while, Noah and Connor are lying there in the room...

THEN he calls authorities.

Criminal intent, or dumb as a sack of hammers - or both. I can't make up my mind at this point.

This did cross my mind.

But as only he and his son were in the house, he could have just taken his son, gone to a neighbour and phoned the police.

His actions, like his words, just don't sit well with me.

...returning to Connor and Noah:

"A vigil will be held tonight to honour the two boys who were found dead after a large snake escaped from its enclosure above an exotic pet store in Campbellton, N.B.

--

Autopsies were performed on Tuesday to determine the exact cause of the two boys' deaths. RCMP Sgt. Alain Tremblay said Tuesday that it wasn't clear when results would be available, but he expected they would shed some light on what happened to the boys."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/08/07/new-brunswick-snake-boys-vigil.html

And AHA! Timeline of alleged snake capture established:

Savoie told investigators he managed to trap the snake -- which police said weighed approximately 100 pounds -- in a cage before alerting authorities.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/snake-...where-they-slept-rcmp-1.1399386#ixzz2bHgGd1ZZ

Now what does that tell me... Savoie saw the dead boys, who are meant to be like family to him.

He saw those small, dead bodies -- and does he call the police? Paramedics? Does he run and grab his son and take him out of the house where his little dead friends lay, and then call the children's mother?

No. He spends however long it takes to catch the 14ft snake which is apparently down a hole in his living room and cages it. All the while, Noah and Connor are lying there in the room...

THEN he calls authorities.

Criminal intent, or dumb as a sack of hammers - or both. I can't make up my mind at this point.

Agree.

Or he wanted to make sure the snake didn't harm anyone else.

Its not like the snake is a fast moving risk. If it was coiled in a hole he should have contacted 911 before doing anything else. How could he know that the boys were dead and not just injured at that point?

I find it hard to believe a word of this story, to be honest. But I will refrain from saying more until the autopsy results are back.

I never heard the update on how that turned out. I just knew he survived, thank God!

He is fine. He spent 24 hours in ICU, 24 hours on the floor under observation and came home 2 days later. He gets a sharp pain if he bumps his pinky into anything. Other than that he's doing great, and has a new respect for God's creatures. Copperheads are the most aggressive snake in the US. That was the third snake bite our local hospital had treated in a month.

I heard today that the animal was being kept in the apartment not in the pet store.

Looks like Savoie is losing all of his animals now:
CAMPBELLTON, N.B. - An Ontario reptile expert says the New Brunswick government has asked for help in removing animals from the exotic pet store beneath the apartment where two boys were believe to have been killed by a python.

Bry Loyst, founder of the Indian River Reptile Zoo outside Peterborough, Ont., says he and a crew are driving a truck to Campbellton, N.B., to pick up the animals and take them to accredited zoos elsewhere in the country.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...+believed+have+been+killed/8757605/story.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back