Canada - Connor, 6, & Noah Barthe, 4, killed by python, Campbellton, NB, 5 Aug 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
jmo - one of the reasons for keeping snakes in your living area is soo you can keep an eye on them, so they don't escape(or you can find them quick if they have) At one time i had 5 snakes in a display case-2 were professional escapees, but the other 3 never tried, even when the case was open.
Florida has an issue with pythons, i think they had hunt recently. But there are not warnings about man eating snakes. It is really just not a snake thing to attack humans.

Lol, this is to all snake lovers :blushing:
I just do not understand having snakes a pets. Especially big 100 pound ones...why look at them in their cage all day? Jusy ewwww

So as those precious boys laid sleeping that *^#}€ snake
Watched them
Licked his lips
Got out of his cage
Then killed the boys.
:notgood::(:eek:

“This is definitely a case of mistaken identity for the snake because the children had visited the farm,” said Loyst. “The snake escaped and bit and constricted the children, obviously because it thought they were food.”
From http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2..._animals_from_building_where_2_boys_died.html

Just returned from school and catching up. So there were bite marks (as mentioned by other posters above as well). Guess I was wrong, and it was the snake afterall. I still think that guy is very responsible for allowing this to happen, and I do expect some types of charges.

Also according to the article, other zoos are being asked to accept the remaining critters, so it sounds like the whole place is shut down.
Yet the snake owner slept? He didn't hear a child scream when a 100 pound snake bit him? Bs

Yet the snake owner slept? He didn't hear a child scream when a 100 pound snake bit him? Bs

It's quick. Really quick. A bite for leverage and the wrapping around and squeezing would prevent lots of screaming. I am just in shock though how it did not wake the other child when it attacked the first.

I am hoping this is a horrible accident.

Lol, this is to all snake lovers :blushing:
I just do not understand having snakes a pets. Especially big 100 pound ones...why look at them in their cage all day? Jusy ewwww

Yesterday it was reported that this kind of snake was not supposed to be kept or sold. That it was illegal to own this breed of snake in that area.

It's quick. Really quick. A bite for leverage and the wrapping around and squeezing would prevent lots of screaming. I am just in shock though how it did not wake the other child when it attacked the first.

I have been wondering if the boys were laying close to each other and the snake wrapped around them both at the same time.

Poor little fellas.

I think it's possible they did make noise that woke him up and he was afraid of or couldn't control the snake and so said that he woke up to find the scene. It would explain him waking up at 6:30. JMO

So how did the other kid not make any noise while one was getting strangled? Is it actually possible for the snake to wrap both of them at the same time? Wouldn't they basically have to be sleeping on top of each other for that to happen?

This is for ginita1 beware rattlesnakes while jogging :)
List of fatal snake bites in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.whig.com/story/23066847/vigil-set-for-2-canada-boys-strangled-by-python

"Once they are in constricting mode, any part of their body that is touching something that moves, they'll wrap it," he said. "I've seen snakes with two different prey items at the same time, one with the back of the body and one with the front. It could have been an incident like that."

I discussed this with my son since we had a number of snakes for a few years, how 2 boys without one sounding alarm, could be taken by the snake. But then we saw the size of the snake, the boys were probably close together, the boys probably woke when the snake came thru the ceiling, it would be the movement that set the snake to constrict, once snakes are in hunting mode they are very reactionary. I can imagine the situation easily. jmo moo

http://factsanddetails.com/Asian.php?itemid=2439&catid=68&subcatid=434

everything you want to know about pythons in above link - lists of attacks on humans near end of page.

I've always had a liking for snakes. I know it's hard to explain to people who have a visceral negative reaction to them. In the state where I live there are three venomous species and I know what they all look like. I spend a lot of time in the outdoors and I think I've seen one cottonmouth and two copperheads in my entire life in my state (MO). I've seen a couple of rattlesnakes in other states. At the age of 45 that's not a whole lot of dangerous snake sightings so I don't go around terrified. Yes I was probably in proximity to a lot more that I didn't see since they are masters of disguise but since they don't attack people unless threatened it's not a big worry. Of course you can make one feel threatened by accident and that's when there might be trouble. I like snakes but I don't want to be surprised by one! The vast majority of snakes I've seen outdoors are not harmful - blacksnakes, ringneck, garter, northern water snake, etc. When you know what they are you feel more confident. I fear bears and ticks in the outdoors way more than snakes. But it is important to be aware of where they might be so you don't bother one by accident and have a unpleasant encounter.

I've picked up a blacksnake before and it was about a five-footer, and I know snakes are very strong. Once it decided it did not want to be held any more I could not keep my grip on it. The strength of a large python must be frightening. Snakes are also good at escaping. That's probably the main reason I don't have a pet snake, though I do find them appealing. I just have enough other animals I like that I don't want to take on that responsibility as well. Not that I'd have a dangerous one in the house, but I wouldn't want it to get loose and starve to death in a hidden corner or something. I also have two birds so that could be disasterous for them if a snake got out.

I'm sorry the two boys and the python had to die. It would not have happened if the snake had not been in an inappropriate place (a snake that big should either be in it's natural habitat or cared for by professionals in a zoo). There are smaller species that I think are fine for pets as long as the owner is educated on how to care for it properly. There are lots of species of fish that I really like but don't get because I can't provide an aquarium large enough to house it properly when it's full grown. People need to think about the full size potential of an animal and if they can handle it when it grows.

Yeah and kids sleep soundly too. I could see the first kid being taken fairly quietly but the second kid not waking up???

I guess it is possible.

Regardless (in response to CherieT) the snake did not think "two sweet boys that I can kill because I am evil like that". The snake was either very hungry and wanted FOOD or became frightened when it realized the human animals it feared were in the room and he took them out.

Interview with Bry Loyst,curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo:

UJR Update:Tragedy in Canada with Bry Loyst:

UJR Update: Tragedy in Canada with Bry Loyst - YouTube

In this interview, Bry Loyst says he asked the RMCP what condition the boys were in when found, and he claims that he was told the boys did have bite marks, but he didn't ask where. ( I have very low volume so if someone who could hear this better could transcribe, that would be great).

Much more at link. Fast forward about a minute in to skip intro.

This is the only place I've seen a mention of bites: Loyst says the RCMP told him there were bite marks. But I haven't read a single article that mentions bite marks when the autopsy is referenced. Anyone else? Thanks for any links you might have.

So how did the other kid not make any noise while one was getting strangled? Is it actually possible for the snake to wrap both of them at the same time? Wouldn't they basically have to be sleeping on top of each other for that to happen?

Asphyxiation doesn't necessarily mean strangulation though. It can also be used to refer to compression of the chest. I guess the snake could have wrapped around both of their bodies at the same time. It could have even sat on them, right? A heavy object on a small body would compress the chest.

Ok, I have read the whole thread and these are my thoughts....

I believe that it is likely that the boys were killed by the snake at the same time and that they either didn't get a chance to scream, or they were too frightened to be able to scream. As for the noise of the snake falling, perhaps it was a big thud and Savoie was used to the banging/thumping noises the animals might make in the store, so either slept through it, or didn't think it was anything unusual.

In the phone interview I think he sounded very upset and in shock. I did not think that he seemed cold or unemotional. When he said they didn't open their eyes, I thought he meant that they slept soundly all night, or that they didn't open their eyes when he checked at 6-30am and again he was speaking like someone who couldn't believe what he had seen.

If any agency gave him animals, without ensuring he had the correct facilities to house them, then they are just as responsible for what happened.

Rest peacefully beautiful boys. You have forever to spend cuddling and giggling <3

My most sincere condolences to the family and friends of the boys.

Those poor boys :( my thoughts are with the family and friends

This is the only place I've seen a mention of bites: Loyst says the RCMP told him there were bite marks. But I haven't read a single article that mentions bite marks when the autopsy is referenced. Anyone else? Thanks for any links you might have.

Asphyxiation doesn't necessarily mean strangulation though. It can also be used to refer to compression of the chest. I guess the snake could have wrapped around both of their bodies at the same time. It could have even sat on them, right? A heavy object on a small body would compress the chest.

Agreed, I haven't heard anything about bite marks. Those could even be faked, if you used a puncturing tool. What looks like a bit mark to an officer, would eventually be ruled out by the autopsy.

One thing we are all taking for granted is that the snake was out and roaming about. Savoie said that he put the creature back into a cage after cornering it. No one saw the snake outside of its enclosure.

Lastly, I've seen videos of pythons attacking their prey, rabbits, birds, etc... Even if it didn't eat them, one thing is apparent, they lift up and coil around their prey. What's not clear was if the boys were found still in their bed, or if they were randomly left around the room. It would be impossible for the snake to have constricted them and then left them perfectly in their bed. They would have been dumped somewhere else, and probably in awkward positions.

I think it's possible they did make noise that woke him up and he was afraid of or couldn't control the snake and so said that he woke up to find the scene. It would explain him waking up at 6:30. JMO

That makes sense! !

Python pet store yields 27 illegal species, some endangered

But four large American alligators will have to be euthanized on site because no zoos are able to accommodate them, officials said.

Kyle O'Grady, of Indian River Reptile Zoo, with some of the animals being removed from Reptile Ocean in Campbellton.Kyle O'Grady, of Indian River Reptile Zoo, with some of the animals being removed from Reptile Ocean in Campbellton. Two small crocodiles, called dwarf caimans, were removed.

Some of the other animals include: a variety of crocodile species, sulcata tortoises, iguanas and green anacondas, said Bruce Dougan, the manager of Moncton's Magnetic Hill Zoo, who is also assisting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b.../09/nb-illegal-animals-campbellton-snake.html

They did euthanize 4 of the animals already, as per live news report on CP24. 21 are being sent to Ontario. sigh. All of the animals were in good health according to the representative of Magnetic Hill Zoo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ademith83
Back