Canada - Connor, 6, & Noah Barthe, 4, killed by python, Campbellton, NB, 5 Aug 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Grief stricken city gathers at vigil for boys:

http://www.cp24.com/news/grief-stri...oys-police-say-were-killed-by-snake-1.1400813

image.jpg

According to the televised CP24 news, the boys mother is planning on having them buried together :cry:

"A funeral service for the boys is scheduled Saturday at 4 p.m. at St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church"

As for the rest of the critters, the building is under police tape and the town didn't know about the python living there (info at link).

"Bry Loyst, founder and curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo in Ontario, said Wednesday he and a crew were driving a truck to Campbellton after the New Brunswick government asked for his help to remove animals from the pet shop and take them to accredited zoos elsewhere in the country.

"Definitely the dangerous animals are all leaving the province," Loyst said.

New Brunswick's Natural Resources Department later said it obtained a search warrant to search Reptile Ocean and if any illegal exotic animals are found, they would be seized and relocated to accredited zoos."

Can anyone help me find the one about the snake being previously aggressive to the feeders ?

Folks, I am trying to go back through the thread, but can anyone help me out....I am looking for:

-the link about the snake having previously escaped
-the link about the snake enclosure being part of a glass room divider type set up
-the link about the snake enclosure and upstairs having been converted from part of the "zoo" to an apt.

TIA

Here you go, and there's other links posted in these pages.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...runswick-brothers-may-be-illegal-in-province/

"Police say that the 100-pound African rock python that escaped its cage and was involved in the death of two young New Brunswick brothers was being kept in a cage in the second-floor apartment — not in the exotic pet store below."

"Open since 1995, Reptile Ocean used to be a small zoo before it shifted its operations purely to retail and incorporated the property’s upstairs animal enclosures into an apartment for Savoie."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/08/07/new-brunswick-snake-boys-vigil.html

"The African rock python was found near the boys in the living room of an apartment above the reptile store on Monday morning by owner Jean-Claude Savoie. Noah and Connor were staying there for a sleepover.

Police said Tuesday that contrary to previous reports the snake was not kept in the store but was contained upstairs.

It's believed the animal escaped through the top of a glass enclosure and into a ventilation system. The python, which was 4.3 metres long and weighed about 45 kilograms, fell through the ceiling and into the room where the two boys were sleeping."

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/06/pet-store-owner-in-shock-python-kills-two-kids-in-new-brunswick

"Barely able to keep the anger out of his voice, Bry Loyst, curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo, told QMI Agency that Monday wasn't the first time the African rock python had made its way into the ventilation system.

"This was an accident waiting to happen," said Loyst, who was en route to Campbellton, about 475 km north of Saint John."

More at links. HTH

Can anyone help me find the one about the snake being previously aggressive to the feeders ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ys-strangled-python-playing-serpent-cage.html

"He housed the reptile in a glass enclosure in his apartment, just yards from where the boys were sleeping, and not in his shop which had locked cages and pens.

He also knew the snake was aggressive and unused to humans - one reptile expert who saw it six weeks ago said it was 'vicious and very nervous around people', but Savoie apparently failed to take adequate safety measures to ensure the python would not escape."

There's photos of the enclosure here, as well as many other photos and links to other articles.

Ok the snake killed the kids but there has to be some responsibly for the deaths other than the kids were in the room with the snake. This is just not right.

“We still have … to get the complete final report, but right now the way that those two boys died is consistent with being attacked by a snake of that size,” said Sergeant Alain Tremblay.
Sgt. Tremblay would not discuss the extent of the boys’ injuries, saying investigators are awaiting the final report from the pathologist.
Sgt. Tremblay said investigators plan to conduct an in-depth interview with Jean-Claude Savoie, the snake’s owner. The Barthe brothers, who are friends with Mr. Savoie’s son, were on a sleepover at the apartment, where the python was housed. The apartment is located above Mr. Savoie’s reptile store.

“The investigation’s going to show if there is any criminal offence that has been committed,” Sgt. Tremblay said.

I was hoping the RCMP would have done this by now. JMO

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...in-campbellton-new-brunswick/article13636297/

I'm still iffy about this until the final report comes out (full swabs for DNA to check for abuse) JMO

Ok the snake killed the kids but there has to be some responsibly for the deaths other than the kids were in the room with the snake. This is just not right.

Absolutely, I have no doubt that keeping a snake that you KNOW :

-is aggressive
-has escaped previously
-is illegal

within your home in the presence of children (whom it killed) would qualify for a charge of Criminal Negligence Causing Death (at the very least). I expect that is what will be laid.

I'm still iffy about this until the final report comes out (full swabs for DNA to check for abuse) JMO

This whole thing is just so strange. I wonder if the investigation will shed more light on what exactly happened that night. I must admit that I'm having trouble big time with how this all happened as reported. I'm really not sure what to think of this until the investigation is completed. This is all very troubling and very disturbing.

I know since it's the FIRST TIME this has ever been reported to happen (one python, two human victims).

I know since it's the FIRST TIME this has ever been reported to happen (one python, two human victims).

Yes, this is all mind boggling for sure. I hope more information will be released tomorrow.

“We still have … to get the complete final report, but right now the way that those two boys died is consistent with being attacked by a snake of that size,” said Sergeant Alain Tremblay. He told The Globe and Mail that the RCMP are waiting for the results of further tests. He said the pathologist has also taken tissue and blood samples to determine whether “the kids were breathing normally before they passed away.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...in-campbellton-new-brunswick/article13636297/

Whether the children were killed by the snake or not, I see a lot of people here and elsewhere have a highly hinky feeling about this case...

I've been very vocal and critical here (not without reason, mind) maybe a bit more than I like to be at this stage of proceedings, in part because Savoie IS clearly responsible for the deaths by negligence at least, and in part because I cannot shake a deep sense of 'wrongness' that goes a bit beyond mere anger at a senseless, negligent cause of these two children's deaths.

One thing I do know - Savoie will lie his *advertiser censored* off to avoid admitting responsibility. He lied (by omission) about where the snake was kept, unwilling to say outright that it was upstairs and next to the kids, and for days let the press believe it was in an enclosure in the store below. He bald-faced lied about having trouble with the snake prior to the deaths, when it was highly aggressive and troublesome in general and had escaped before. Maybe that's it -- he's a liar. So what else is he lying about? What else is he hiding and omitting to mention?

Anyways, just a nod to those to those who carry the same unsettled feeling here. You're not alone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmoh4
Back