Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that it is independently confirmed with evidence by the fundraiser site that the protest is an "occupation" with "violence and unlawful activity," I wonder whether people who have been cheering on this occupation of Canada's capital city will rethink that support. I hope so.

Well, some of their supporters were BBQing in the streets of TO tonight.

Tomorrow should be very interesting…….others are mounting a counter protest already.

Lots of tractors came in ahead of the truckers.

Well, some of their supporters were BBQing in the streets of TO tonight.

Tomorrow should be very interesting…….others are mounting a counter protest already.

Lots of tractors came in ahead of the truckers.

Competition to see whether Toronto can manage the protest better than Ottawa?

There's a cattle feed shortage right now in Canada, and blockades have made the situation worse. It's due to the drought last Summer. I'm surprised that farmers are supporting disruption that means they pay more for cattle feed. I wonder what sort of tractor farming they do where they are protesting masks when they don't wear them on the farm and the protest costs them.

Just imagine trying to drive around or through this mess.

The only person I heard speaking was not even referring to masks.

She had driven a tractor in from, supposedly, north of Kingston.

What along the 401?? Or did she take the back roads….

Just imagine trying to drive around or through this mess.

The only person I heard speaking was not even referring to masks.

She had driven a tractor in from, supposedly, north of Kingston.

What along the 401?? Or did she take the back roads….

I suppose farmers, like everyone else, have had their fair share of homeschooling since March 2020. That would be a reason to protest, as home-schooling has created an enormous time and cost burden for parents.

Except that the kids are back in school now.

The alternative to home schooling was to risk everyone’s health before vaccines were available.

Donators to the $10 million protest fund have until Feb 9 to request a refund, remaining funds will be donated to a charity. Since the fundraising company will issue refunds, it would not surprise me if the police request the list of people who were refunded. I suppose police will follow the money to identify what led to the occupation of Ottawa and disruption of supply chain during pandemic Winter.

“Given how this situation has evolved, no further funds will be directly distributed to the Freedom Convoy organizers,” the company explained. “We will work with organizers to send all remaining funds to credible and established charities verified by [fundraising company].”

[Fundraising company] says donors also have until Feb. 19 to request a refund online."​

Trucker convoy fundraiser removed from

Donators to the $10 million protest fund have until Feb 9 to request a refund, remaining funds will be donated to a charity. Since the fundraising company will issue refunds, it would not surprise me if the police request the list of people who were refunded. I suppose police will follow the money to identify what led to the occupation of Ottawa and disruption of supply chain during pandemic Winter.

“Given how this situation has evolved, no further funds will be directly distributed to the Freedom Convoy organizers,” the company explained. “We will work with organizers to send all remaining funds to credible and established charities verified by [fundraising company].”

[Fundraising company] says donors also have until Feb. 19 to request a refund online."​

Trucker convoy fundraiser removed from ********

Looks like the @FreedomConvoy2022 has moved to a new crowdfunding platform, so I am guessing that donors to first fundraising company involved, will request a refund and send new donation to new fundraising company.

Looks like the @FreedomConvoy2022 has moved to a new crowdfunding platform, so I am guessing that donors to first fundraising company involved, will request a refund and send new donation to new fundraising company.

I doubt that can side-step Canadian law, which does not allow foreign money to interfere with Canadian governance. New fundraising platform means one more opportunity for CSIS to gather personal information about donors - in addition to those who request a refund from the fundraising company.

Canadians do not want foreign protesters harassing their government under the guise of truckers affiliated with the Canadian Truckers Alliance - who have denounced the protest. All foreign donations to attacking the Canadian Government will be rejected, obviously.

Without access to the money, many will have to leave or pay for their own fuel and hotels.

Some have already left the downtown core and the OTA stated that *some* Canadians were at Queens Park but that many have nothing to do with Ontario trucking and it’s not about mandates.

I heard that on 680 News.

It seems whenever there’s protests of any nature, the extreme whack-a-doodles just can’t resist the opportunity for exposure, knowing the media is present. The most sensationalist always create the headlines whether they are a sanctioned expression of the originating group or not. This is the price we pay for freedom of speech but unfortunately their mere presence is guaranteed to sour the cause.

JMO

It's interesting to see the pandemic turn into a protest of vaccinated versus unvaccinated viewpoints.

The timing of mandatory trucker vaccinations is indeed interesting considering the views Canada’s top doc has recently expressed. I’ve never heard the reason truckers, who’s job for the most part is done in isolation, pose such a great risk as opposed to the benefit they bring. I’ve had my booster shot but what’s in store for the other 50% of the population who have not?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-more-sustainable-covid-response-1.6339609
Tam said the Public Health Agency of Canada is talking to its provincial and territorial counterparts to chart a path forward for a country exhausted after two years of enduring some of the most restrictive measures in the developed world.

Together, she said, these agencies will review the current "suite of measures," including severe border restrictions and travel limitations.

"I think the whole concept is, we do need to get back to some normalcy," Tam said……

…….Tam said the country's priority should be to deploy as many booster shots as possible. But the immunization campaign has stalled, with just 50 per cent of people eli
gible for a booster having had that third shot.”

I notice the American border regulations presently require foreign travellers to be vaccinated, but excludes their own citizens. All the cross-border regulations between Canada and the US seem to have been a disjointed, non-collaborative affair since the very onset of COVID.

The U.S. mandate, announced in October, requires all essential foreign travelers, including truck drivers, who cross U.S. land borders to be fully vaccinated. Essential nonresident travelers had been able to enter the U.S. during the pandemic regardless of their vaccination status, in part so as not to disrupt trade and to give them more time to get vaccinated.
U.S. vaccine mandate on freight drivers coming from Canada may worsen auto supply chain shortage

Without access to the money, many will have to leave or pay for their own fuel and hotels.

Some have already left the downtown core and the OTA stated that *some* Canadians were at Queens Park but that many have nothing to do with Ontario trucking and it’s not about mandates.

I heard that on 680 News.

Porta-potties removed, fuel and food vendors shut down, music shut down at 10 PM. No fireworks like previous nights. Horn honking shut down at 8 PM. Protesters are required to keep the peace.

The nearby Cadillac Fairview Shopping Mall with 177 shops is closed. That means access to that warm area with public bathroom and fast food is shut down.

It reminds me of a siege, where soldiers surround a fort and starve them out. Police are taking away the amenities and forcing people home, to their hotels, or to their trucks. Their trucks will run out of fuel, so they have to make decisions about running their trucks without moving.

The timing of mandatory trucker vaccinations is indeed interesting considering the views Canada’s top doc has recently expressed. I’ve never heard the reason truckers, who’s job for the most part is done in isolation, pose such a great risk as opposed to the benefit they bring. I’ve had my booster shot but what’s in store for the other 50% of the population who have not?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-more-sustainable-covid-response-1.6339609
Tam said the Public Health Agency of Canada is talking to its provincial and territorial counterparts to chart a path forward for a country exhausted after two years of enduring some of the most restrictive measures in the developed world.

Together, she said, these agencies will review the current "suite of measures," including severe border restrictions and travel limitations.

"I think the whole concept is, we do need to get back to some normalcy," Tam said……

…….Tam said the country's priority should be to deploy as many booster shots as possible. But the immunization campaign has stalled, with just 50 per cent of people eli
gible for a booster having had that third shot.”

I notice the American border regulations presently require foreign travellers to be vaccinated, but excludes their own citizens. All the cross-border regulations between Canada and the US seem to have been a disjointed, non-collaborative affair since the very onset of COVID.

The U.S. mandate, announced in October, requires all essential foreign travelers, including truck drivers, who cross U.S. land borders to be fully vaccinated. Essential nonresident travelers had been able to enter the U.S. during the pandemic regardless of their vaccination status, in part so as not to disrupt trade and to give them more time to get vaccinated.
U.S. vaccine mandate on freight drivers coming from Canada may worsen auto supply chain shortage

Some people have resumed pre-pandemic life. My daughter flew to Maui on Friday for vacation. She feels safe. In some ways, the Ottawa party looked like an end-of-pandemic party.

No one was wearing masks, there doesn't appear to be a hospital surge. People must have gotten sick but if they're vaccinated and booster, it's a dry cough, maybe a day with fever, and I heard word of mouth that some people have digestive issues for 48 hours. Maybe that's why the hotels are full?

The hospitals seem to be fine after party with people from across the country. Perhaps the deadliness of covid has finally passed.

This writer makes a good point IMO. Everyone knows how divided the country has become over vaccines, so why’s Trudeau portraying the anti-vaccers all in the same basket of nut cases?

Corbella: Trudeau has forgotten the lesson of tolerance he learned at his father's knee | Calgary Herald

It is important to remember that the @FreedomConvoy2022 is anti-vaccine mandates, not anti-vaccine. Many of us are against the former, but not the latter.

I always thought of PET as a statesman, in the best sense of the word, and not as a politician, in the worst sense of the word. He really struggled with the decision to institute the War Measures Act when Pierre LaPorte, deputy premier of Quebec, was kidnapped and murdered by the FLQ. These were true acts of terrorism, and Pierre Elliott Trudeau had no other choice, as bombs were being placed in mailboxes and other terrorist activities were taking place. I remember looking out our window where we lived on the south shore of Montreal, and seeing tanks in the streets during the curfew that was implemented.

A year earlier, Pierre LaPorte was the rep for our provincial electoral district, and he had sent me a letter congratulating me on some award I had received. I still have the letter, and treasure it in his memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo