GUILTY Canada - Diane Werendowicz, 23, raped & murdered, Hamilton, Ont, June 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LOL now my mind is racing again.

I'd check out the coffee truck driver. (I've worked places where there were such, even if you don't get your full lunch, you get a donut, chips, back then I think even smokes, etc. You get to know the driver and chit chat). I'd ask RB or other former Dofasco workers or relatives if they bought from a coffee truck.

Coffee truck for a 7-3 shift I'm guessing maybe arrives for lunch (don't know if it would stay a full hour) but say 10:45 arrival for 2 30 min lunch crews, finishes 12, packs up, heard the gossip or confession, is troubled, and heads for the phone 12:18 when no one else is around since they've gone back to work. IMO

Or someone who is totally unconnected at all to Dofasco, who pulled up to the phone booth in his vehicle, made the call. Someone who had been told the story of the murder, by either the murderer or secondhand. if someone is going to make an obviously anonymous call about something so important, wouldn't they want to ensure there was no way to connect themselves to that phonebooth location? i wonder where that phonebooth sits, in relation to just traffic driving by on Ottawa Street? Can you see the phonebooth from the road? Are vehicles allowed to drive up to that phonebooth without going through a gate or something? Would there have been money required for someone to have made that call at that time, or was it like a free call (was it a 911 call?)?

Thanks for sleuthing with me deugirtni. Wish more would join in.

A lightbulb came on when I was making that list and I'd never thought of #2 until then because the jeans on thing was bothering me. Also I read some rape documents online about rapist feeling rejected. He very well might have raped her in his vehicle, and she got away and he followed her either out of anger or not wanting to be identified. He did say she put on her jeans and took her panties with her.

I'm finding the idea of another stalker wanting to assault her for sexual purposes somewhat unbelievable. Her jeans wouldn't have been on. On one horrible website I checked out in my sleuthing, out of the 20 or so horrible-shouldn't-be-allowed photos, all were naked except for one had jeans on. I read some perps can't ejac and some do it on their face, in wounds, whatever their sick mind wants. (speculation)

Also--what vehicle did he drive?
Some articles have said truck and others have said car.

First... according to legal documents, RB testified that he had consensual sex with DW in his 'truck'.
[5] The appellant testified at trial and claimed that he had consensual sex in 1981 with a female stranger he met in the parking lot of a bar near the ravine. He said that he and the woman smoked a joint in his truck and then had sex. According to the appellant, he never saw the woman again after she left his truck. The appellant denied being in the ravine with the deceased, killing her, or placing the 911 call.
http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/...o/2008/09/05/r-v-badgerow-2008-onca-605.shtml

I'm not understanding what you're meaning in your 2nd paragraph. Why would her jeans not have been on? If RB's story is accurate, she was approached while walking home after having sex with RB in his truck, her jeans would have been on. if you're saying that RB instead raped her in the ravine, then he was also undoubtedly her killer. jmo.

Do we know RB's height? Interestingly, DR had said in her description the perp was about five-foot-10, 175 pounds. Is RB actually 5' 10"?

DW is reportely 5' 9". That's tall for a girl. So, it makes sense if it was RB making the call he would say 5' 11" because he thought she seemed taller than himself. It would have to be someone who was close enough to estimate her height, not someone looking into the swamp. IMO

How tall was the guy in the black t-shirt who was seen by a witness in the vicinity of DR's attack? That perp tried to get her pants undone but couldn't, and he stabbed her with a screwdriver. DW was found with her jeans zipper undone, but the button still done up. Is it possible that black-tshirt-guy also couldn't get her button undone, or decided not to rape DW and just to killer her? both assaults took place in same general vicinity. That guy was never found. The witness who saw him was deported to the UK sometime prior to the DR trial and couldn't be found. (What was he deported for? Could he have potentially been the perp, saying that he saw some other guy?)

Also, if his shift was 7 to 3 I'd suspect an earlier 30 min lunch, not one at 12:18.

I'm pretty sure we had MOL laws even back in 1981... i'm pretty sure they wouldn't expect a steelworker to work much more than 4 hours without a food break. I wonder how the prosecution got their info that 12:18 would have been RB's lunch time? Were HR timecards pulled? So many loose ends it seems?

For all we know, he could have been standing on a beach ball or a stool or something? Are there any photos showing him standing next to other male adults?

I think someone was sitting down when they took it. I've looked for his height too. I saw him in person the day of jury selection, but he was seated. Had tats down his right arm.

RB would have to be quite a bit less than 5'9" if he thought DW was 5'11. isn't it rather less common for adult men to be less than 5'9"?

When I stand tall I feel taller than my husband because he slumps. He's taller than I. She had runners on so that wouldn't make her too tall.

As a shy person with an interest in medicine and healing, after a 12 hour work shift, DW is not a likely candidate to have unprotected relations with a stranger, in a truck, that she just met in a parking lot.
imo, speculation.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/hamilton/2012/09/07/what-the-badgerow-juries-were-never-told.html
Werendowicz would develop a love of medicine and the healing arts. After taking time out to travel in Europe, the shy and tall young woman would return to Hamilton and enrol in nursing school. She became a registered nursing assistant and started working at McMaster hospital.
On the last day of her life, Werendowicz worked a 12-hour shift.

Or someone who is totally unconnected at all to Dofasco, who pulled up to the phone booth in his vehicle, made the call. Someone who had been told the story of the murder, by either the murderer or secondhand. if someone is going to make an obviously anonymous call about something so important, wouldn't they want to ensure there was no way to connect themselves to that phonebooth location? i wonder where that phonebooth sits, in relation to just traffic driving by on Ottawa Street? Can you see the phonebooth from the road? Are vehicles allowed to drive up to that phonebooth without going through a gate or something? Would there have been money required for someone to have made that call at that time, or was it like a free call (was it a 911 call?)?

bbm all questions a witness should be able to provide for the jurors. Should have finger print dusted his dime/quarter.

First... according to legal documents, RB testified that he had consensual sex with DW in his 'truck'.

http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/...o/2008/09/05/r-v-badgerow-2008-onca-605.shtml

I'm not understanding what you're meaning in your 2nd paragraph. Why would her jeans not have been on? If RB's story is accurate, she was approached while walking home after having sex with RB in his truck, her jeans would have been on. if you're saying that RB instead raped her in the ravine, then he was also undoubtedly her killer. jmo.

I was bothered that she had jeans on when found after a supposed rape. Photos I looked at of murdered rape victims were mostly naked. I was buying his point that she walked away with jeans on, panties in hand or purse and that it was an innocuous fling. But the new lightbulb theory is this:

They make out in the car, it goes farther than she wants, she pulls away (he's ejac'd) puts her jeans on, of course semen drips into her jeans, she grabs her panties--he feels rejected or worried she will ID him because technically he raped her. He catches up, drags her to the ravine and in anger strangles her.

Or He offers her a ride or asks her to smoke up, they drive to a dark area in the ravine area, then he rapes her, she gets out, puts her pans on, He gets out and grabs her...Who would have casual sex in a bar parking lot with people around anyhow? Dark and private seems more like it.

Another theory is he punched out of work at 11 pm. You've said it takes 15 min to the bar. OMG, I just Googled it and one route from Dofasco to the bar is the route she would have walked!!! So he maybe saw her, stalked her, or offered her a ride home...but somehow her jeans got back on and she was dead with ejaculate.

I read rapists like to justify their actions so saying it was casual sex justifies it in his mind.

How tall was the guy in the black t-shirt who was seen by a witness in the vicinity of DR's attack? That perp tried to get her pants undone but couldn't, and he stabbed her with a screwdriver. DW was found with her jeans zipper undone, but the button still done up. Is it possible that black-tshirt-guy also couldn't get her button undone, or decided not to rape DW and just to killer her? both assaults took place in same general vicinity. That guy was never found. The witness who saw him was deported to the UK sometime prior to the DR trial and couldn't be found. (What was he deported for? Could he have potentially been the perp, saying that he saw some other guy?)

I have it in my quote that she said he was 5' 10".

Interesting about the UK. Yesterday I was googling names in legal docs and articles and one guy I found is now in the UK. (Don't ask me which guy. At the moment I'm brain dead).

Just had another thought. If it was innocent consensual s*x--when the news reports came out with the description and name wouldn't he go to police to tell him his part? Maybe he didn't catch her name before he screwed her. If you ask me he KNEW it was the same girl for 17 yrs!!!

Thinking that the alleged perp. raped, or attempted to rape her in the parking lot ( or wherever) DW temporarily got away perhaps pretending it was consensual quickly putting on her pants and started to run.
Perp realizes it was a ruse, angrily catches up and brings DW to the ravine to punish and silence the victim.
imo, speculation.

As a shy person with an interest in medicine and healing, after a 12 hour work shift, DW is not a likely candidate to have unprotected relations with a stranger, in a truck, that she just met in a parking lot.
imo, speculation.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/hamilton/2012/09/07/what-the-badgerow-juries-were-never-told.html

That is something that bothers me. One of the girls that DW was with on that evening, said that she had about 5 beers. If RB's story is true, she then smoked weed. I've always heard the saying that you have to watch out for the 'shy ones'. The thing that bothers me is that the autopsy results showed her blood alcohol as being only slightly over the legal limit. Wouldn't this suggest that several hours had passed between the time when she consumed the 5 beers, and the time when she became deceased?

That is something that bothers me. One of the girls that DW was with on that evening, said that she had about 5 beers. If RB's story is true, she then smoked weed. I've always heard the saying that you have to watch out for the 'shy ones'. The thing that bothers me is that the autopsy results showed her blood alcohol as being only slightly over the legal limit. Wouldn't this suggest that several hours had passed between the time when she consumed the 5 beers, and the time when she became deceased?

Depends on how fast she drank and what time we're talking. She could have taken her time drinking over many hours, or slammed them down fast and chilled a while, etc.

Depends on how fast she drank and what time we're talking. She could have taken her time drinking over many hours, or slammed them down fast and chilled a while, etc.

I read that DW had just come off of a 12 hour shift, and that she had worked 3 in a row. it must be published somewhere about what time they arrived to Malarkey's that night, and then she left right around midnight. if she met up with RB afterwards and he raped and killed her, then I'm thinking her BAC should be higher. To me it suggests that it must have been much later when she died. i'll try to find something to indicate TOA to the bar. Thanks for your input HoaZi!

Were any of you able to figure out the exact route she'd walk especially where she'd cut through to her apt. News reports make it sound like she was found very near her apt. building.

I read that DW had just come off of a 12 hour shift, and that she had worked 3 in a row. it must be published somewhere about what time they arrived to Malarkey's that night, and then she left right around midnight. if she met up with RB afterwards and he raped and killed her, then I'm thinking her BAC should be higher. To me it suggests that it must have been much later when she died. i'll try to find something to indicate TOA to the bar. Thanks for your input HoaZi!

I was looking too. One article points out the friends she was meeting the first time (friends of Lori) arrived at 11 but says they were 'joining' them so I'm thinking she was there earlier since she left by 12. However, this is what the friend has said, "Smith, a McMaster nurse, said she and her friend Janice Noble arrived at Malarkey’s bar in Fiesta Mall about 11 p.m. It was a particularly busy Friday night at the popular Stoney Creek nightspot. The two women were joining their friend Lori Allen, who was bringing along another friend. That friend was Werendowicz.

Smith testified she exchanged small talk about nursing with Werendowicz and saw her consume five to six Molson Export beers in just over an hour at the standup bar area where the four women congregated. She said she asked Noble between midnight and 12:15 a.m. about the whereabouts of Werendowicz and was told she had left the bar.

Smith said she did not see Werendowicz talking with anyone specifically. Despite Werendowicz’s alcohol consumption, Smith testified the woman she had met for the first time that evening did not show any obvious signs of intoxication." http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2217224-a-gruesome-discovery-in-red-hill-creek-ravin[/I]e/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back