GUILTY Canada - Diane Werendowicz, 23, raped & murdered, Hamilton, Ont, June 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I read that DW had just come off of a 12 hour shift, and that she had worked 3 in a row. it must be published somewhere about what time they arrived to Malarkey's that night, and then she left right around midnight. if she met up with RB afterwards and he raped and killed her, then I'm thinking her BAC should be higher. To me it suggests that it must have been much later when she died. i'll try to find something to indicate TOA to the bar. Thanks for your input HoaZi!

But when was the BAC tested? What happens to your alcohol level after you die?

Yours is an interesting theory to try to establish TOD. Here is a chart. http://www.homehealthtesting.com/how-long-does-alcohol-stay-in-your-system.html

I was looking too. One article points out the friends she was meeting the first time (friends of Lori) arrived at 11 but says they were 'joining' them so I'm thinking she was there earlier since she left by 12. However, this is what the friend has said, "Smith, a McMaster nurse, said she and her friend Janice Noble arrived at Malarkey’s bar in Fiesta Mall about 11 p.m. It was a particularly busy Friday night at the popular Stoney Creek nightspot. The two women were joining their friend Lori Allen, who was bringing along another friend. That friend was Werendowicz.

Smith testified she exchanged small talk about nursing with Werendowicz and saw her consume five to six Molson Export beers in just over an hour at the standup bar area where the four women congregated. She said she asked Noble between midnight and 12:15 a.m. about the whereabouts of Werendowicz and was told she had left the bar.

Smith said she did not see Werendowicz talking with anyone specifically. Despite Werendowicz’s alcohol consumption, Smith testified the woman she had met for the first time that evening did not show any obvious signs of intoxication." http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2217224-a-gruesome-discovery-in-red-hill-creek-ravin
e/

DW had worked a 12 hour shift from 8am to 8pm at McMaster on that day (June 19, 1981); it doesn't specify how she travelled to Malarkey's at Fiesta Mall in Stoney Creek from McMaster in the west end of Hamilton; according to case files she left the bar just before midnight. It's safe to assume she couldn't have arrived to Malarkey's any earlier than 8:30pm, possibly much later if she took a bus and met her friend there? So 3 1/2 hours max that DW spent at the bar. But the one girl she was with reported that she had witnessed DW consuming 5-6 Molson Ex in one hour, just prior to DW's departure from the bar. DW could have been drinking for the other 2+ hours she was at the bar as well, prior to Smith's arrival at 11pm. A 5'9" woman, I forget her weight, but from memory I believe it was somewhere between 120 and 135lbs, so she was thin.:

Diane Werendowicz had worked a 12 hour shift from 8 AM until 8 PM as a nursing assistant at McMaster University Medical Center on June 19, 1981. She and a friend from work, Lori Allen-Feasson, agreed to go out after work to Malarkey's bar located in the Fiesta Mall, a short distance from Jerome Crescent. Lori Allen-Feasson met some friends from high school at the bar. Diane Werendowicz was not acquainted with anyone at Malarkey's although she had been there on prior occasions. Diane Werendowicz left the bar shortly before midnight apparently intending to return to her apartment.
http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/.../2012/09/06/r-v-badgerow-2012-onsc-4829.shtml

But when was the BAC tested? What happens to your alcohol level after you die?

Yours is an interesting theory to try to establish TOD. Here is a chart. http://www.homehealthtesting.com/how-long-does-alcohol-stay-in-your-system.html

Was a TOD ever stated in the autopsy report? Surely when her body was discovered so quickly after death, they would have had an opportunity to establish a fairly accurate TOD?

It seems it is complicated as to the BAC in blood and urine after death. I wonder if that aspect was investigated as fully as it should have been, since it could be relevant to timing, and perhaps also to DW's possibly decreased inhibitions/willingness to have unprotected sex, etc. (Could it even have had an impact on her ability to simply walk?) The PDF found at the link below is in regard to aviation, but it talks about forensic examination of alcohol content after death.

A urine alcohol measurement does not reflect the alcohol content of urine at any point in time
(eg time of death). It represents an average of the levels in urine collected in the bladder
which may have taken several hours.31 As long as this is recognized, urinary alcohol
estimation is a useful measurement.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNFBzaCojCrWtDSWND1zk7eXvnCazA&cad=rja

from page one of this thread based on SC's tweets:

"She's got a little bit of alcohol on board and she's starting to clear it," says Fernandes. "She's had a few drinks." #Badgerow

If urine alcohol level is higher than blood alcohol level, they are eliminating the alcohol. Roughly even in this case.

This is "a small amount of alcohol" says Fernandes. "This is just above the legal limit.

Collected urine and blood from Diane for toxicology testing for drugs and alcohol. 7 mg of alcohol in her blood.

Just out of interest, I'm posting here for reference that apparently RB worked a shift at Dofasco until 11pm that same evening in question. I'm not sure how long it takes a Dofasco employee to pack up, walk to his vehicle in the employee parking lot, make the 15 minute drive to Malarkey's, and we don't know if he may have stopped along the way at a store or a bank or whatever. Meanwhile DW didn't leave the bar until just around midnight. I'm wondering if RB entered the bar, or if he just hung outside waiting for a lone (perhaps intoxicated) female to appear, or if he had just arrived and was on his way into the bar.

For reference, here is a timeline posted by SC in The Spec on September 16, 2016:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...th-a-fourth-trial-and-the-pursuit-of-justice/
[h=2]Chronology[/h] June 19, 1981: Nursing assistant Diane Werendowicz, 23, works a 12-hour shift at McMaster hospital then joins girlfriends for a drink at Malarkey's bar in Stoney Creek. She leaves at about midnight that Friday for the 15-minute walk home.

Robert Glenn Badgerow, 23, punches out at Dofasco at 11 p.m.

June 20, 1981
: Children find Diane's partly clothed body face down in a creek in the ravine just south of her Stoney Creek apartment and west of Lake Avenue North. She had been strangled and drowned.

June 22, 1981
: Police receive a 911 call from a man who offers specific and accurate information about the rape and murder of Diane, including details that had never been made public.

September 1996
: Due to advances in DNA technology, forensic microbiologists are now able to generate a DNA profile of the suspected killer from semen left in Diane's body.

January 1998
: Police set up a hotline and seek the public's help to identify the voice of the 911 caller from June 1981.

Dec. 1, 1998
: Robert Badgerow, a married, 40-year-old Dofasco worker and volunteer firefighter is arrested and charged with Diane's first-degree murder.

Jan. 15, 2001
: Badgerow, now 42, pleads not guilty to the murder. His defence team files a statement of fact admitting his semen was found in Diane's body and on her clothing. The defence suggests Badgerow had consensual sex with her earlier on the night of her death, but that someone else later killed her in the ravine.

April 13, 2001
: Badgerow is convicted of first-degree murder in a Hamilton courtroom and sentenced to life in prison.

Sept. 5, 2008
: The Ontario Court of Appeal overturns his conviction and orders a new trial, saying the trial judge erred in admitting a piece of evidence that should not have been allowed.

June 14, 2010
: Badgerow's second trial in Kitchener ends in a hung jury.

Dec. 9, 2011
: Badgerow's third trial in Kitchener also ends in a hung jury.

Sept. 6, 2012
: Justice Gerald Taylor decides against holding a fourth trial and stays the charge against Badgerow.

Dec. 18, 2013
: The Ontario Court of Appeal hears the Crown's appeal of the stay.

Apr. 8, 2014
: The Ontario Court of Appeal orders a history-making fourth murder trial for Badgerow.

Oct. 23, 2014
: The Supreme Court of Canada denies Badgerow's leave to appeal, thereby ensuring he will have a fourth trial.

Sept. 19, 2016
: Jury selection is to begin in Kitchener for Badgerow's fourth trial, which is expected to last until January.

Here is another photo of 'the' phonebooth. Does it look like there is a camera there on the (blue) wall at the level of the height of the guard booth, or am I imagining it?
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4...lairmont-s-unsolved-the-robert-badgerow-case/

attachment.php

Attachments

• phone booth at dofasco gate 6 2.jpg
    phone booth at dofasco gate 6 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 30
(again) from page one of this thread based on SC's tweets:

"She's got a little bit of alcohol on board and she's starting to clear it," says Fernandes. "She's had a few drinks." #Badgerow

If urine alcohol level is higher than blood alcohol level, they are eliminating the alcohol. Roughly even in this case.

This is "a small amount of alcohol" says Fernandes. "This is just above the legal limit.

Collected urine and blood from Diane for toxicology testing for drugs and alcohol. 7 mg of alcohol in her blood.

Apparently there was testing done for drugs. Would that testing have shown marijuana if marijuana was present in her system? I haven't read anything yet about them finding any indication of that? Has anyone else?

I read he's banned from having a cell phone. Looks like he has one in this photo. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/badgerow-1.3779399

I found a reference where he was banned from having a cellphone as part of his bail conditions, but that is from back in 2009. I think it was after his first trial result was overturned, while he awaited his second trial. That condition may no longer be in effect?

[11] On July 24, 2009, Robert Badgerow was granted bail on strict terms. He was released from custody on July 29, 2009. The recognizance of bail was in the total amount of $450,500 with sureties consisting of his parents and siblings. The recognizance required him to live with one of his parents and to be in the presence of a surety at all times. He was required to work at the residence of Clinton Badgerow (his brother) and Shirley Badgerow (his mother). Both of his parents’ residences were required to be fitted with an alarm system which would be triggered if Robert Badgerow exited without permission. He was required to report to the Hamilton Police Service every Thursday between the hours of 9 AM and 9 PM. The bail terms also prohibited him from operating a motor vehicle and possessing a cellular telephone.

http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/.../2012/09/06/r-v-badgerow-2012-onsc-4829.shtml

Twitter Feed of Susan Clairmont, The Spec October 13, 2016 until lunch break

Cheryl Gzik is the Crown attorney on the case, while Russell Silverstein is representing Badgerow.

Feed Start--you can read this top to bottom today.

Robert #Badgerow murder trial today: Philip Johnston, a Bell phone expert & Kirk Starkey, an audio technician, talking about 911 call.

Have some legal arguments to start at the #Badgerow trial. #hamont

Jury is being brought in to the Robert #Badgerow murder trial after an extended long weekend. #hamont

Justice Patrick Flynn is addressing the jury. Reminds them of the audio they hear of the 911 call and "stuff" in the radio room...

In audio, dispatcher Davis said "The caller described it (the murder) to a T." Judge says "That is an opinion. It is conjecture at best."

Flynn tells jury they must decide if it was #Badgerow who made the call and if the caller was the killer

Crown Michael Fox on his feet. Introducing long version of audio tape from the radio room. Also, entering an agreed statement of facts.

Statement says the audio recording is a "compilation" of recordings from the police radio room at June 22, 1981. Various "tracks" included.

Statement explains how the audio compilation was made and updated by new technology.

Jurors will be given a transcript to help them follow, but the audio recording is the "real evidence."

Kirk Starkey is called to the stand.

Starkey produces classical records. He has studied in Europe. He has been asked to build an audio/visual presentation to show the 911 call.

He was given 6 tracks from original reel-to-reel recording device.

Jury is seeing what looks like a graph on screens in the courtroom. It shows audio waves for the 6 tracks.

He has used industry standard audio editing software. He has downloaded DVDs onto this program. DVDs were made from original reel-to-reel.

He aligned the tracks according to time.

There were also "audio cues" in the tracks themselves, Starkey says.

At 12:39:56 Gary Davis says the word "inspector" and we can hear it in Ed Lum's microphone

This is called "microphone bleed" and happens when mics are close together.

This is very technical evidence about how sound is recorded and transferred from one type of recording device to another.

On some tracks, he had done noise reduction.

Crown Fox says he is going to play the audio (jury also heard it last Thursday) and will fast forward during silence.

We are now hearing the sometimes scratchy audio again, beginning with the anonymous man calling 911: "She was raped before she was killed.."

Crown believes caller gave 911 info only the killer or someone close to the killer could know. Crown believes call came from pay phone...

...at Dofasco, steps away from where #Badgerow was working at the very time the call was made.

At some points, all we're hearing is a ringing phone, a bit of inaudible background chatter...

A reminder that while the 911 call has been heard by previous juries, all evidence related to the phone booth has never been allowed before.

Crown is trying to connect the dots (using audio) between the 911 call and police being dispatched to the phone booth at Dofasco.

As all this is playing, #Badgerow is taking notes at his table behind his defence team. He appears to be left handed.

Now Starkey singles out certain channel to hear @HamiltonPolice officer Ed Lum call Dofasco to ask if there's a phone booth at Gate 6.

Lum asks Dofasco security to watch phone booth and make sure nobody uses it. Lum says officers are on their way there.

Now hearing dispatch direct officer to the phone booth.

We hear from the officer who arrives at the scene. He relays exact location back to dispatch so CID detectives can be guided.

Weird to hear snippets of other, unrelated, 911 calls from 35 years ago.

For instance, woman calls 911 because tree fell in neighbour's yard. Wants to know what she should do.

Hearing 35-year-old banter between @HamiltonPolice. e.g. Trying to reach a cop on the road to have him call his wife who is at pay phone...

A very sweet exchange between @HamiltonPolice dispatcher and someone from a shelter (circa 1981). Person found a sleeping bag...1/2

2/2...No name on it. Dispatcher: "Keep it then." Caller: "Thank you!" #

And we are done listening to the 96 minutes of audio tape. Crown is done, Russell Silverstein up for cross exam of Starkey.

Started with 6 tracks of a 20 track reel-to-reel. He transferred the data to software that makes multi-track audio.

Starkey uses this software to produce classical music albums.

"I left the channels rather noisy. I only took what was necessary to understand the dialogue," Starkey says.

Starkey explaining in even greater detail about he turned down the volume of white noise on certain tracks.

Reduced "rumble at the low end" and "hiss at the top" of audio recording

Silverstein asking what Starkey means when he says "dictaphone." Starkey says it is a reel-to-reel machine.

Starkey worked with recording that was one generation or more away from the original recording.

Justice Flynn is allowing Starkey to give his opinion on how audio is recorded.

Silverstein is asking about speed of recording and what that does to the sound of a voice.

"It's clear nothing significant happened to that audio I would say," Starkey says of the 911 tape.

Silverstein is done. No re-exam. Witness is done.

Justice Flynn orders lunch until 2 p.m.

Just out of interest, I'm posting here for reference that apparently RB worked a shift at Dofasco until 11pm that same evening in question. I'm not sure how long it takes a Dofasco employee to pack up, walk to his vehicle in the employee parking lot, make the 15 minute drive to Malarkey's, and we don't know if he may have stopped along the way at a store or a bank or whatever. Meanwhile DW didn't leave the bar until just around midnight. I'm wondering if RB entered the bar, or if he just hung outside waiting for a lone (perhaps intoxicated) female to appear, or if he had just arrived and was on his way into the bar.

Did you see my post that the route from Dofasco on Google maps would have him passing her on her route home?--another option of the meetup--that he wasn't even at the bar.

Her friend didn't notice her missing until 12:00-12:15, I take this statement as that is when she asked, not necessarily when DW left. In other words, DW could have left any time between 11 and 12. We know the other friends didn't show up until 11 and they met her so that is one time we know she was still there at 11.

To match up his drive time, as you've said, he could have taken time to pack up, could have had a slower route than currently on Google maps, some cars leaving factories are in a line up out of parking because of so many leaving at once...

Quotes from http://www.thespec.com/news-story/22...ll-creek-ravine/

bbm

Smith, a McMaster nurse, said she and her friend Janice Noble arrived at Malarkey’s bar in Fiesta Mall about 11 p.m. It was a particularly busy Friday night at the popular Stoney Creek nightspot. The two women were joining their friend Lori Allen, who was bringing along another friend. That friend was Werendowicz.

Smith testified she exchanged small talk

She said she asked Noble between midnight and 12:15 a.m. about the whereabouts of Werendowicz and was told she had left the bar.

Thanks again Claroon, that series of tweets was actually quite interesting!

Was a TOD ever stated in the autopsy report? Surely when her body was discovered so quickly after death, they would have had an opportunity to establish a fairly accurate TOD?

Regarding Time of Death

Susan Clairmont Twitter Feed Oct. 4, 2016

Died within 24 hours of being found. She was found shortly after 7 p.m. June 20, 98 , jury hears.

She did not have advanced decomposition. He knows that because when decomposition happens, rigor disappears.

...and position her body was kept in at the morgue. #Badgerow

Livor is the pooling of the blood in the body by gravity. She had both front and back livor because of position she was found in...

Her body was "refrigerated" in the cold creek water. Fernandes says she was likely dead for a few hours before she was found.

Diane, 23, blonde, eyes hazel. Pupils round and equal. Natural teeth. "Riga mortis strong." That is the stiffening of the body after death.

In Ontario, body temperature is not used in determining time of death because it is not very accurate, says Fernandes.

Slow right now so I'll post this and finish later: 2-3 pm

Twitter Feed of Susan Clairmont, The Spec October 13, 2016 after lunch break ~2 pm

Cheryl Gzik is the Crown attorney on the case, while Russell Silverstein is representing Badgerow.

Feed Start--you can read this top to bottom.

Jury is back in at the Robert #Badgerow murder trial.

Next witness is Phillip Johnston. Crown Cheryl Gzik wishes him qualified as an expert witness on the 911 system in #hamont in 1981.

He went to @MohawkCollege for electrical engineering before joining Bell Canada.

While at Bell he was involved in tracing 911 calls.

He did "thousands" of call tracings. He worked in #hamont in 1981. Justice Flynn qualifies Johnston as an expert.

911 was designed for speedier access to emergency assistance and allowed for a call to be held and rung back by a 911 operator.

911 system put in place in #hamont in about 1980, Johnston says.

Had to put a new circuit board in pay phones so they could call 911. Bell kept careful track of locations of all its pay phones.

Businesses would get a share of pay phone profits on their property.

"SP1 was a computerized front end with a cross-barred back end...," says Johnston, explaining highly technical aspects of 911 system.

Jury has been bombarded with a lot of very specific, technical info today. I hope they understand it better than I do.

In 1981 all 911 calls were answered by @HamiltonPolice. If police needed to trace a call, they dialled right into special @Bell tester.

The tester would find out what "trunk" call was on.

A successful trace would call up a trunk line on an older system which would then lead to a phone number.

In a newer system, a trace would come up with an actual phone number.

Bell tester would verify he could hear the busy tone on the trunk and would relay address to @HamiltonPolice.

Nobody other than @Bell could access address of a phone booth from a trace.

Once @Bell handed address over to police, Bell "was out of the picture." A trace could take up to 20 minutes to completely.

Trace has to be verified so they know they have traced to the right place "and they didn't make a mistake."

"If a trace wasn't completed, we wouldn't have a phone number," says Johnston.

911 was the only system that could hold a call from "end to end." Unlike other calls in 1981 that would end when someone hung up.

Police could keep the line up and ring it back. Someone making a 911 call wouldn't necessarily know it was being recorded

12:45 p.m. telephone tester phones police. Johnston thinks it is @Bell saying pay phone is at Gate 6 at Dofasco.

In 1981 #hamont did all 911 calls for the region.

If the @Bell tester phones @HamiltonPolice back with an address, the trace was successful, says Johnston.

Jury being shown this @HamiltonPolice photo of the phone booth at Gate 6 at Dofasco.
phonebooth.jpg

Another @HamiltonPolice photo of the Dofasco phone booth.

This is @HamiltonPolice photo of first officer at Dofasco phone booth to guard it after 911 trace. #Badgerow
phonebooth1.jpg

Crown Gzik done. Now Silverstein doing his cross. Asking where @HamiltonPolice 911 call room was in 1981. Johnston does not know.

I'm glad SC pointed out he seems to be left handed. I was sleuthing that because I wondered about DW's left eye injury. I don't know much about the connection though between right and left hand punches.

If I were a juror and saw the photo of the purse strap around the neck I'd try to detect if it was done by a left-handed person. I'd think the left strap would be pulled tighter. We don't know if the strap was pulled from behind while he was drowning her or from the front.

Personally from this photo, those straps look short. How the heck does one get that around the neck?

Susan Clairmont Tweet Oct. 3, 2016 Ground sheet her body was on belonged to police. He could see her lying on her back. He didn't initially notice purse strap around her neck.

He did see the purse straps around Diane's neck eventually, he testified.

photo credits Susan Clairmont the Spec twitter.

purse.jpg
purse2.jpg

Twitter Feed of Susan Clairmont, The Spec October 13, 2016 after lunch break 3 pm to 4:15 pm

Feed Start--you can read this top to bottom.

Establishing steps 911 call taker would go through in 1981 to answer call. Listening on head-set, pushing button...automatically locked in.

Gary Davis was the @HamiltonPolice officer who took the anonymous 911 call. When caller hangs up during call, Davis hears a busy signal.

Line is still open and being recorded, however.

Davis rings back to anonymous caller. That is a unique feature of a 911 line. Speak briefly and then the caller hangs up again.

Could be as many as 48 trunk lines coming into the @HamiltonPolice call centre in 1981.

911 call taker sends "a howler" over phone line to alert that phone is off the hook. (Only slightly different from Harry Potter howler.)

Line must remain connected for a trace to work.

All 911 calls went to a @Bell centre on Hunter Street in #hamont and then were automatically routed to the call taker at @HamiltonPolice.

The @Bell employee doing the trace would read the trunk number for the phone booth from a screen, says Johnston.

Jury seeing a screen capture of what computer showing trunk number would have looked like in 1981.

Central office tech guy would then call Main Street tech guy to give him the trunk number. Then Main Street guy would have typed in...

...the trunk number to get the phone number of the phone booth.

When Johnston did 911 traces, he kept everyone on phone with him while he did it. Does not know if that happened in this case.

Main Street office guy would give phone number back to the tester who is "the project manager of the trace," says Johnston.

ester has 7-digit phone number. Types it into his computer to get all info connected to that phone number - including address of phone.

Jury getting a much needed break. This is critical but not exactly riveting evidence today.

We're back. Johnston, the 911 expert is still under cross by Silverstein

Johnston testified about this at Badgerow's 2009 trial.
Johnston says the tester "could" listen to the line being traced but he doesn't know if it happened in this case.

Silverstein points out that Johnston made no mention of that during his 2009 testimony.

Tester calls police back to give them the phone number and address for the phone booth, says Johnston.

Silverstein is establishing that "the 7 digit result is only as good as the accuracy with which he performs his task."

If police call taker mistakenly gives Bell a different trunk number that is also engaged, trace could produce a wrong phone number.

There are some steps in the tracing process that Johnston just can't possibly know because he wasn't there, Silverstein establishes.

When police get to the phone booth "the line should still be engaged," says Silverstein. Johnston agrees.

Police officer was supposed to pick up line and say "Hi, it's officer Smith. I'm here," says Silverstein. That verification was important.

Johnston says 911 system was still fairly new and "all the kinks weren't out," says Johnston.

Cross is done. Gzik doing re-exam. When 911 system was set up, testing of lines was done? Johnston says yes.

Justice Flynn has a question for Johnston: "Why did they pick the digits 911?" Johnston does not know.

Judge is telling jury they will be working tomorrow, but they have the next two Fridays off. #Badgerow #hamont They are done for the day.

To validate my theory that there were lots of dark haired moustached men in that era, here is a closeup of Officer Worren taken from SC's photo. lol

must.JPG

That is Worren, standing behind the cruiser at the Dofasco phone booth. #Badgerow (SC Tweet)

Did you see my post that the route from Dofasco on Google maps would have him passing her on her route home?--another option of the meetup--that he wasn't even at the bar.

Her friend didn't notice her missing until 12:00-12:15, I take this statement as that is when she asked, not necessarily when DW left. In other words, DW could have left any time between 11 and 12. We know the other friends didn't show up until 11 and they met her so that is one time we know she was still there at 11.

To match up his drive time, as you've said, he could have taken time to pack up, could have had a slower route than currently on Google maps, some cars leaving factories are in a line up out of parking because of so many leaving at once...

Quotes from http://www.thespec.com/news-story/22...ll-creek-ravine/

bbm

Smith arrived at Malarkey's at 11pm, and testified that she witnessed DW drink 5-6 beers in the time before she left the bar. (Hopefully she wouldn't have consumed that many in less than one hour!!). The midnight time of DW's departure from Malarkey's, i was getting from a case law archive from a previous trial summary for same:
"Diane Werendowicz left the bar shortly before midnight apparently intending to return to her apartment."http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/.../2012/09/06/r-v-badgerow-2012-onsc-4829.shtml

I was also just thinking... did guys that worked at Dofasco have lockers where they had to put their belongings while they worked... and if so, where was RB's located in relation to his work area on the floor, and in relation to the door the men would enter from the employee parking lot. (which door, how long to walk to all these places?) And yes, there is also likely a huge lineup of vehicles trying to get out at the same time after shift ends.

Yes, if DW had walked along Queenston and then along Lake, RB would be driving in the opposite direction from Dofasco on his way to Malarkey's (was that even one of RB's drinking places?). I have no idea where 'the crick' is where DW was found and where she would have been able to see her apartment from where she was attacked.

I think it is really important to know whether evidence of very recent marijuana use was found in DW's blood. If not, then wouldn't that prove that RB was lying?

Regarding Time of Death

Wow, that doesn't sound very accurate at all. She left the bar at midnight, and was found later that evening at 7pm. That is 19 hours. So obviously the general public knows without an autopsy that she died sometime within 19 hours of being found. I guess that makes my guess more accurate than the pathologist's? "Died within 24 hours of being found"

The pathologist on the stand only says, "she was likely dead for a few hours before she was found". How many hours is that? Is it not important to know how many hours? If only 7 hours or 12 hours or 15 hours, couldn't that have a bearing on determining who the killer was? The kids didn't find the body until 7pm. Was the body not there yet at 3pm when they played earlier? Jeez, can't they be more precise than that?

I'm glad SC pointed out he seems to be left handed. I was sleuthing that because I wondered about DW's left eye injury. I don't know much about the connection though between right and left hand punches.

If I were a juror and saw the photo of the purse strap around the neck I'd try to detect if it was done by a left-handed person. I'd think the left strap would be pulled tighter. We don't know if the strap was pulled from behind while he was drowning her or from the front.

Personally from this photo, those straps look short. How the heck does one get that around the neck?

photo credits Susan Clairmont the Spec twitter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those straps DO seem short for getting over an adult head! Sounds like at least one strap was put over her head and then twisted, so would be impossible to tell handedness.

These were inside her "beige nylon tote bag" as it is described in court, one strap of which is twisted and crinkled.

It is the strap that was found wound around Diane's neck.

Her own purse. The murder weapon.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...-blood-belongings-on-display-at-murder-trial/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oh_silly_me
Back