Found Deceased Canada - Dr Elana Fric, 40, Toronto, 30 Nov 2016 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
^ Heartbreaking.

I hope her babies are holding up okay and have a lot of love around them.

Reactions: JDG
Very confusing! However, if the CBC is publishing the name of the victim, the name of the accused, the charge, and the nature of the crime, I suspect that whatever happened in court does not result in a publication ban on the names of the victim or the accused.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/vigil-elana-fric-physician-1.3899563

It DID results in a PB on the victim's name but the JP made an error which the media was challenging.

To date, I cannot find where the PB was actually lifted. I suspect it is under wraps so as not to embarrass the JP? Hmm, a PB on a PB perhaps? ;)

Either way, MSM is using her full name of Elana Fric now. They are leaving off the Shamji surname, so we will do so also.

Good to see the prosecution up there charging Mohammed Shamji with 1st degree. First blush, looks like a tough row to hoe to prove 1st degree in this case, as it doesn't seem planned and deliberate. But I don't know what evidence the police and prosecutor are looking at. Maybe communications from the doctor indicating to others his intent or threatening Dr Elana Fric.

But maybe the history of domestic abuse could, or should be, a contributing/aggravating/elevating factor in these cases. Canada spells out the limited circumstances (beyond premeditation) that invoke 1st degree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_(Canadian_law)#Murder

would like to see them add on a rule that elevated domestic (husband/wife) killings with a provable history of domestic abuse to default 1st degree status--no need to prove premeditation. Years of domestic abuse alone should be enough to make it so.

Otherwise, this Dr Shamji's probably going to plead out to 2nd degree and be out in 10 years.

also, prosecutors will overcharge to set up for that sort of deal--charge 1st degree, then the defendant might be more willing to plead to 2nd. But if the facts in the case are as limited as they are, and the sentencing in Canada being as cookie-cutter as it is, there's no reason for Dr Shamji to accept a 2nd degree plea deal. Take his chances at trial. Hope to heck they don't let him plead out to manslaughter. And he was already lawyered up even before being arrested.

police and prosecution are well-aware they need more facts to make a 1st degree charge stick. They are still combing the area where Dr Fric's body was found for her iPhone and other personal items.

Just joining this case. What a sad story! She had so kind beautiful eyes.

Wonder what the kids are doing ? With whom they are staying? Maybe with her parents? According to this article, the oldest daughter would be about 12 now.

She also remembers Fric telling her about a 2005 incident in Ottawa, where the couple previously lived.

Shamji "threatened" Fric and the couple's now-eldest daughter, who was an only child at the time, Koffman said.

The daughter would have been around one year old.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/koffman-interview-fric-murder-1.3889864

I guess they are all old enough to understand what happened and I hope they get all the help they need now.

Mohammed Shamji, neurosurgeon accused of murdering wife, Elana Fric, appears in court

With a patient of his sitting in the front row of the public gallery, Dr. Mohammed Shamji appeared via video in a Toronto courtroom on Tuesday charged with first-degree murder in the death of his wife.

Shamji wore an orange jumpsuit and looked blankly into the camera during the brief proceeding, speaking only to state his name for the record.

His next court date was set for Jan. 5.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/shamji-murder-fric-court-1.3905675

Never thought that I would see a friend end up murdered and the discussed on websleuths. I grew up with Elana and know her and her family. This has been a horrible horrible thing. The children are surprisingly okay but do want to speak about the events so we have had to ensure an adult is around when they are with other children. They are with their grandparents.

Never thought that I would see a friend end up murdered and the discussed on websleuths. I grew up with Elana and know her and her family. This has been a horrible horrible thing. The children are surprisingly okay but do want to speak about the events so we have had to ensure an adult is around when they are with other children. They are with their grandparents.

The right words are hard to find, MaraSleuth.
Simply, Sorry.
:hug:

It is a senseless tragedy, I hope her family and friends take comfort in cherishing her memory, and find the strength to support each other and her children.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/fric-shamji-parents-court-1.3953465
[h=1]Parents of murdered Toronto doctor Elana Fric attend Mohammed Shamji court appearance[/h]
[h=3]'They miss their mother very much': Fric and Shamji's 3 children are now in the care of their grandparents[/h]
For the first time, the parents of Dr. Elana Fric attended a court date for their daughter's husband and alleged killer, Dr. Mohammed Shamji.

"We are her voice," Fric's mother, Ana Fric, said outside the Finch Avenue courthouse.
"We will continue to come to be her voice, since she cannot speak."
The crown has begun to provide what was described as a "voluminous" disclosure of evidence to the defence, the court heard.

The next court date was set for mid February.

From Toronto Life magazine:

Love and Death
He was a brilliant neurosurgeon. She was a beloved family doctor. Their life seemed like a fairy tale—until her body was discovered in a suitcase by the Humber River. The untold story of Mohammed Shamji and Elana Fric Shamji

In the early days of their affair, Elana was incandescently in love with Mohammed, who went by Mo. She was awed by his intellect, his ambitions, the fact that he graduated from an Ivy League college. But she sometimes felt unworthy of his love. Apparently, he agreed. Mohammed declined to speak to Toronto Life for this story, but friends say that in the beginning he didn’t take their relationship as seriously as Elana did.

He continued to see a woman he knew from med school while he was dating Elana, which his colleagues thought was incongruous with his meek demeanour. Whereas Elana showered him with gifts, including a set of golf clubs, Mohammed barely made an effort to meet her friends. Many of them couldn’t understand what she saw in him. He didn’t even attend her medical school graduation; he said he was sick, but she later heard that he’d gone out with friends.

Elana broke up with Mo twice within that first year, but both times he persuaded her to come back. According to one friend, he was always trying to exercise control.

Elana had known for a while that Mohammed had, as she put it euphemistically, “anger problems,” but she was proud and discreet, and she rarely disclosed to family and friends how difficult life on Scout Street was becoming.

Her husband would ridicule her, sneering at her for gaining weight and calling her mother a cow. He’d push away the food she cooked for him, saying, “This is ****.”

From Toronto Life magazine:

Love and Death
He was a brilliant neurosurgeon. She was a beloved family doctor. Their life seemed like a fairy tale—until her body was discovered in a suitcase by the Humber River. The untold story of Mohammed Shamji and Elana Fric Shamji

She was barefoot and dressed in her pyjamas, nearly all of her hair sliced off in ragged hacks

Excellent article!
Dr Fric was described as having her hair hacked off, did he actually do that?!
It is something one might usually associate with a female act of aggression.
imo, speculation.

I have seen videos of men chopping off their abused wiveès hair. Itès a control thing that seems prevalent in certain cultures JMO.

Excellent article!
Dr Fric was described as having her hair hacked off, did he actually do that?!
It is something one might usually associate with a female act of aggression.
imo, speculation.

September 5:

Toronto neurosurgeon accused in wife's death back in North York court today

Much of today’s court proceedings were also placed under a publication ban.

Last week, Ontario Superior Court Justice Michael Brown denied Shamji bail.

Shamji, a former Toronto Western Hospital employee, has remained in custody at the Maplehurst Correctional Complex in Milton since he was arrested eight months ago.

The couple’s three children have remained in the care of their maternal grandparents.

https://www.cp24.com/news/trial-to-...eon-accused-of-murdering-wife-judge-1.3845661
March 16 2018
A judge has ruled that a first-degree murder trial will be held in the case of a Toronto neurosurgeon accused of murdering his physician wife.

Dr. Mohammed Shamji stood a North York courtroom in a suit and tie Friday morning as a judge told him that will face a trial in connection with the death of his wife.
He has been charged with first-degree murder and committing an indignity to human remains.

The charges have not been proven in court.

Shamji has been in custody since his arrest. In August, a judge denied him bail.

The trial date is expected to be set on April 6

So glad that he was charged with 1st degree. This was my friend - she deserves justice as does her family. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping this for Elana today. Hopefully a trial date will be set.

Thinking of her three children...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrina