CANADA Canada - Emma Fillipoff, 26, Victoria BC, 28 Nov 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The driver commented on her odd, paranoid behaviour more than once.

I am curious why the staff asked for her van to be towed from the parking lot:

(a) unpaid parking fees or
(b) expired plates?

thanks....

so rather than have it be subject to the warehouseman liens act, she removed it - which establishes that obviously she was intent on keeping the van for a purpose

do we know the exact location of where the credit card was found? I mean exact. It's conceivable that on the tow-truck drive back it may have escaped her pocket, possibly after stopping at a location for a particular purpose?

Exact enough to within a meter or two of where it was allegedly picked up by the individual caught using it a short time later, it wasn't too clear on the 5th estate program. I know they said it was on the galloping goose, but even the two pictures they showed on the news story were kilometers apart from each other. Even though LE "scoured the area thoroughly", it still doesn't put a position on where the card was found. Depending on where on the trail it was, could allude to what she might have been doing - some areas of the trail come nowhere near vehicular traffic, some do.

There's some timeline confusions here, this is what I get, please note any corrections.

November 21 - she retrieves her van from storage in Sooke, telling the tow-truck driver she's moving back home. It's parked in a lot about 1 block away from the shelter where she is staying. http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...g-a-mysterious-trail-through-victoria-1.75659

November 23 - first call to her mother to say she wants to come home but doesn't know what to do with her stuff/van. Over the next 4 days she cancels, calls for help and cancels again.

November 28 - (All the timeline for Nov 28 is from here: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/blog/clues-that-may-help-in-the-search-for-emma-fillipoff )
7 am she discovers the van has been towed as she has not paid for the parking.
8:23 am she buys a pre-paid credit card at a downtown 7/11 (presumably on Broughton street). Note a credit card isn't needed to retrieve a car from impoundment. Also a $200 credit card won't buy you a flight anywhere these days.
5:55 pm she buys the pre-paid cell phone at the same 7/11, and video footage shows her lingering around the store.
6:10 she catches a cab from the Harbour Air Terminal (downtown right near her former workplace, about 2 blocks from the 7/11. Note: Harbour Air only flies in the daytime.) The cab returns her to that area when she says she doesn't have the fare
-after 6 she is found in the same area downtown by an acquaintance, standing on a corner but unable to cross the street, looking around suspiciously. He walks with her as far as the Empress (Inner Harbour) and then calls police, who locate her in the same area, carrying her shoes. After a 30 minute interview (a long time!), they release her. She is not seen again.

From these actions, I get the impression of someone who is on the borderline of her ability to cope with practical tasks such as what to do with her belongings, how to get her car out of impoundment, how to get a flight home. To me, these don't look like the actions of someone who has decided to deliberately disappear.

There's some timeline confusions here, this is what I get, please note any corrections.

November 21 - she retrieves her van from storage in Sooke, telling the tow-truck driver she's moving back home. It's parked in a lot about 1 block away from the shelter where she is staying. http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...g-a-mysterious-trail-through-victoria-1.75659

November 23 - first call to her mother to say she wants to come home but doesn't know what to do with her stuff/van. Over the next 4 days she cancels, calls for help and cancels again.

November 28 - (All the timeline for Nov 28 is from here: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/blog/clues-that-may-help-in-the-search-for-emma-fillipoff )
7 am she discovers the van has been towed as she has not paid for the parking.
8:23 am she buys a pre-paid credit card at a downtown 7/11 (presumably on Broughton street). Note a credit card isn't needed to retrieve a car from impoundment. Also a $200 credit card won't buy you a flight anywhere these days.
5:55 pm she buys the pre-paid cell phone at the same 7/11, and video footage shows her lingering around the store.
6:10 she catches a cab from the Harbour Air Terminal (downtown right near her former workplace, about 2 blocks from the 7/11. Note: Harbour Air only flies in the daytime.) The cab returns her to that area when she says she doesn't have the fare
-after 6 she is found in the same area downtown by an acquaintance, standing on a corner but unable to cross the street, looking around suspiciously. He walks with her as far as the Empress (Inner Harbour) and then calls police, who locate her in the same area, carrying her shoes. After a 30 minute interview (a long time!), they release her. She is not seen again.

From these actions, I get the impression of someone who is on the borderline of her ability to cope with practical tasks such as what to do with her belongings, how to get her car out of impoundment, how to get a flight home. To me, these don't look like the actions of someone who has decided to deliberately disappear.

Thanks so much, I was also working on a more detailed timeline to post as well! I hope it's okay I combine your timeline info with mine?

The only thing I thought were different:
-I had the 7-11 as the Douglas St. location (not Broughton)
- Okay, it was a $200 prepaid credit card... I think a few of us were unsure. So $200 was correct?

Other than that, that's basically what I have so I think that's pretty accurate.

I was working on an updated timeline and Satchie just posted one as well.

I combined Satchie's excellent timeline with the my version. If anyone notices any discrepancies or errors, please correct as I did this really quick at the end of the day at work and just updated now w/Satchie's additional info (thanks Satchie).

Nov 21:
Tow truck driver picks Emma up at the shelter, drives her to her van stored at West Coast Storage (Sooke), then tows van back to Chateau Victoria Hotel parkade (downtown Victoria). On this drive Emma tells tow truck driver she's planning to surprise her family by going home. Tow truck driver later comments on her odd, paranoid behavior more than once.

Nov 23:
First calls her mother to say she wants to come home, but is indecisive about her mom coming to Victoria and her going home.

Nov 28:
7am: Chateau Victoria Hotel staff phone towing company to tow van (with all Emma's belongings) from their lot because of unpaid fees. Towed to impound lot in Victoria.

8:23am: Bought $200 prepaid credit card at 7/11 (Douglas St.)

8:23am-Noon: *Unknown whereabouts*

Noon-5:54pm: Might have visited downtown library around noon, after that *unknown whereabouts*

5:54pm: Bought a never activated prepaid cell phone at 7/11 (Douglas St.). Video footage shows her lingering around the store

6pm: Leaves Sandy Merriman shelter according to staff there

6:10pm: Taxi driver with ABC Taxi picks Emma up from Harbour Air Terminal (Inner Harbour, that only has daytime flights) that's close to her former workplace 'Red Fish, Blue Fish'. Emma asks to go to Victoria airport (Sidney). Taxi driver tells her expensive cost of ride to airport and she asks to be taken back where she was picked up (Harbour Air/Inner Harbour) and she exits taxi

6:45-7pm approx: Sees an acquaintance who was worried about her since she was looking around suspiciously, unable (or afraid?) to cross the street. Acquaintance walked with her to the Empress (Inner Harbour), but after called police to check on her, and waited for police to arrive

7-7:45pm: Seen outside Empress Hotel barefoot, clutching shoes to chest. Speaks with police for approx 45 min and tells them she's "working some things out. I'm just going for a walk and then going to a friend's house"

Dec 5:
Prepaid credit card Emma purchased at 7/11 on Nov 28 is used at Petro Canada at 2331 Sooke Rd by a man. He later claims he found the credit card on the side of the road near the Juan de Fuca Rec Centre (1767 Old Island Hwy in Langford). Said man passes polygraph test with police.

so rather than have it be subject to the warehouseman liens act, she removed it - which establishes that obviously she was intent on keeping the van for a purpose

do we know the exact location of where the credit card was found? I mean exact. It's conceivable that on the tow-truck drive back it may have escaped her pocket, possibly after stopping at a location for a particular purpose?

Exact enough to within a meter or two of where it was allegedly picked up by the individual caught using it a short time later, it wasn't too clear on the 5th estate program. I know they said it was on the galloping goose, but even the two pictures they showed on the news story were kilometers apart from each other. Even though LE "scoured the area thoroughly", it still doesn't put a position on where the card was found. Depending on where on the trail it was, could allude to what she might have been doing - some areas of the trail come nowhere near vehicular traffic, some do.

This is what he have for location of found credit card (BBM):
"At 11:17 a.m on December 5, 2012, the pre-paid credit card Emma purchased on November 28 is used at a Petro Canada located at 2231 Sooke Rd. by a man. He later claims that he found the credit card on the side of the road near the Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre (located at 1767 Old Island Hwy in suburb of Langford).

Google Map (location is close to Galloping Goose Trail):
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/En...2!3m1!1s0x548f0cd73939ab33:0x4aafe3eed35c2271

*Also note 1767 Old Island Hwy - can be the address for Juan de Fuca Rec Centre, and also the WildPlay Element Parks has the same address. Both could be clues if someone else placed the credit card there

Source:
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/blog/clues-that-may-help-in-the-search-for-emma-fillipoff

hey iam really new to this case which is weird as i live just a few hours from where emma was born but anyyway all i have done is watch the youtube vids mostly the 5ifth estate one and only one thing came to my mind about what happend to emma .she was clearly having a mental break down i wont even begin to speculate about the detaills but bottom line she was having a serious breakdown and unfortunentlly theres some sick people in this world and i believe emma was taken advantage of by a stranger be it she asked for a ride and he just took her somewhere else and did away with her that is the kinda thing i believe has happend to emma ,It's sad enough to know that theres people out there that do this kinda crap but even made woarse when they do it to someone so volunerable as i think we would all agree emma was ..I DO HOWEVER HOPE IAM 100% WRONG AND SHE HAS i dont know just left on her own or is maybe hospitalized for her problems alive non the less is what iam getting at....

I'm trying not to draw attention or focus on a particular person who seems suspicious - but from what I know, this suspicious person works/worked at an outdoor recreation/sports store that has an secondary company that is an urban adventure company.

I can't help but find it another coincidence that Emma's prepaid credit card might not have been found maybe near Juan de Fuca or Galloping Goose, but maybe instead - closer to the WildPlay Element Park which is a very similar company that this suspicious person works at.

The WildPlay Element Park would attract the same type of crowd/persons as the outdoor recreation store/adventure company would, if that makes sense.

I'm trying not to draw attention or focus on a particular person who seems suspicious - but from what I know, this suspicious person works/worked at an outdoor recreation/sports store that has an secondary company that is an urban adventure company.

I can't help but find it another coincidence that Emma's prepaid credit card might not have been found maybe near Juan de Fuca or Galloping Goose, but maybe instead - closer to the WildPlay Element Park which is a very similar company that this suspicious person works at.

The WildPlay Element Park would attract the same type of crowd/persons as the outdoor recreation store/adventure company would, if that makes sense.

Thanks for noticing that! It does seem strange. Coincidence after coincidence... where does it stop?!

There is one thing that I find kind of odd about the timeline.

Apparently, she bought the cell phone at 5:54 pm at the 7 Eleven located at 1327 Douglas St, Victoria, BC V8W 2E9. ( I guess they looked at the time the transaction was made in the convenience store's system.)

Then she walked back to the shelter located at 809 Burdett Ave, Victoria, BC V8W 1B3. According to Google maps, this is approximately a ten minutes walk. So by the time she arrived at the shelter, it would've been past 6:00 pm. Maybe she walked real fast and all, but it appears that, if she did really go back to the shelter before heading off to her next destination (Harbour Air Terminal, located at 1000 Wharf Street
Inner Harbour Centre, Victoria, BC V8W 1T3), she didn't stay at the shelter very long because the walk from the shelter to the Harbour Air Terminal takes approximately eight minutes, and the taxi driver said that he picked her up there at 6:10 pm.

I'm not saying that she didn't return to the shelter before going to the Air Terminal, but I just find that things went pretty quick. I've never been to Victoria so maybe someone who knows the area could say if it'd be doable in that amount of time? Just in case Google maps is wrong about the walking time. Thanks!

There is one thing that I find kind of odd about the timeline.

Apparently, she bought the cell phone at 5:54 pm at the 7 Eleven located at 1327 Douglas St, Victoria, BC V8W 2E9. ( I guess they looked at the time the transaction was made in the convenience store's system.)

Then she walked back to the shelter located at 809 Burdett Ave, Victoria, BC V8W 1B3. According to Google maps, this is approximately a ten minutes walk. So by the time she arrived at the shelter, it would've been past 6:00 pm. Maybe she walked real fast and all, but it appears that, if she did really go back to the shelter before heading off to her next destination (Harbour Air Terminal, located at 1000 Wharf Street
Inner Harbour Centre, Victoria, BC V8W 1T3), she didn't stay at the shelter very long because the walk from the shelter to the Harbour Air Terminal takes approximately eight minutes, and the taxi driver said that he picked her up there at 6:10 pm.

I'm not saying that she didn't return to the shelter before going to the Air Terminal, but I just find that things went pretty quick. I've never been to Victoria so maybe someone who knows the area could say if it'd be doable in that amount of time? Just in case Google maps is wrong about the walking time. Thanks!

It's tricky because there's another Douglas Street 7/11 at 813 Douglas St. that's quite close to the shelter. This whole time, I was thinking it was the other one, but it must be this one or a Satchie said there might be one on Broughton which is closer as well.

Here's a map pic to help gauge the distance:

walk.jpg

the woman who lived in the attic at the Merriman shelter said she chased after Emma that night as she ran away thru traffic. Emma might have been headed to the Hotel 760 where she had lived with a friend for about a month before she went missing.

the woman who lived in the attic at the Merriman shelter said she chased after Emma that night as she ran away thru traffic. Emma might have been headed to the Hotel 760 where she had lived with a friend for about a month before she went missing.

Thanks kokanee, I haven't heard that before. I'm curious if this friend was male or female and if they were on good terms. I'm hoping they were if Emma stayed there previously.

If Emma ran through traffic, did she run to Harbour Air to call that 6:10pm taxi? And is this the friend she told police she was going to visit after talking to them at the Empress or did she manage to visit the friend prior to being at the Empress? I don't think she'd have time to visit before the Empress it seems, but could be wrong.

Here's the address on the 7/11 website, this location doesn't show on google maps when you google '7-Eleven Victoria, BC' I don't think:

View attachment 71236

Your link isn't working BTW... About which 7-11, the one closest to the women's shelter would be the 800 block of Douglas, just a short walk down a steep hill but that is not the one that is filmed in the 5th estate show. Unless they just used any random 7-11 for filming purposes or she did go to the one further away? Has it ever been confirmed exactly which one she went to as that would help a lot with the timeline, I think there are 4 or 5 in the downtown core.

she has nothing but the highest praise of Emma..she calls her the golden girl and thinks the world of Emma. No idea about the friend.

I think we share the same theory. circumstantial evidence and my gut feeling suggests foul play. I'm willing to bet the private investigator who Shelley hired must be someone who would think the same we we do as well. again my own opinion.

I was working on an updated timeline and Satchie just posted one as well.

I combined Satchie's excellent timeline with the my version. If anyone notices any discrepancies or errors, please correct as I did this really quick at the end of the day at work and just updated now w/Satchie's additional info (thanks Satchie).

Nov 21:
Tow truck driver picks Emma up at the shelter, drives her to her van stored at West Coast Storage (Sooke), then tows van back to Chateau Victoria Hotel parkade (downtown Victoria). On this drive Emma tells tow truck driver she's planning to surprise her family by going home. Tow truck driver later comments on her odd, paranoid behavior more than once.

Nov 23:
First calls her mother to say she wants to come home, but is indecisive about her mom coming to Victoria and her going home.

Nov 28:
7am: Chateau Victoria Hotel staff phone towing company to tow van (with all Emma's belongings) from their lot because of unpaid fees. Towed to impound lot in Victoria.

8:23am: Bought $200 prepaid credit card at 7/11 (Douglas St.)

8:23am-Noon: *Unknown whereabouts*

Noon-5:54pm: Might have visited downtown library around noon, after that *unknown whereabouts*

5:54pm: Bought a never activated prepaid cell phone at 7/11 (Douglas St.). Video footage shows her lingering around the store

6pm: Leaves Sandy Merriman shelter according to staff there

6:10pm: Taxi driver with ABC Taxi picks Emma up from Harbour Air Terminal (Inner Harbour, that only has daytime flights) that's close to her former workplace 'Red Fish, Blue Fish'. Emma asks to go to Victoria airport (Sidney). Taxi driver tells her expensive cost of ride to airport and she asks to be taken back where she was picked up (Harbour Air/Inner Harbour) and she exits taxi

6:45-7pm approx: Sees an acquaintance who was worried about her since she was looking around suspiciously, unable (or afraid?) to cross the street. Acquaintance walked with her to the Empress (Inner Harbour), but after called police to check on her, and waited for police to arrive

7-7:45pm: Seen outside Empress Hotel barefoot, clutching shoes to chest. Speaks with police for approx 45 min and tells them she's "working some things out. I'm just going for a walk and then going to a friend's house"

Dec 5:
Prepaid credit card Emma purchased at 7/11 on Nov 28 is used at Petro Canada at 2331 Sooke Rd by a man. He later claims he found the credit card on the side of the road near the Juan de Fuca Rec Centre (1767 Old Island Hwy in Langford). Said man passes polygraph test with police.

bbm: respectfully I believe this address should be 2231 per google search.....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...a!3m1!1s0x548f0ce375890f61:0x4e48e8d69b6d45a4

It's tricky because there's another Douglas Street 7/11 at 813 Douglas St. that's quite close to the shelter. This whole time, I was thinking it was the other one, but it must be this one or a Satchie said there might be one on Broughton which is closer as well.

Here's a map pic to help gauge the distance:

View attachment 71235

Thank you for the correction. This makes more sense, as it is only a four-minute walk from the shelter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessicank
Back