Found Deceased Canada - Jacqueline McDermott, 22, car broke down on Hwy 97 C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, BC, 30 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the #findjaquimcdermott FB page I see that photos were posted of the PGSAR mounted team searching for Jaqui over the past several days. They said, "If anyone came up to our show on Friday and saw Jaqueline by her van just before our farm please contact RCMP. If you saw another vehicle by her van please contact RCMP."

FindJaquiMcDermott FB

The farm they are referencing is Canoa Farms, which is between Merritt and Marmit Lake. It looks like Canoa Farms is approximately 8 km south of the southern edge of Mamit Lake and about 18km north of Merritt. I don't know if the reference to "came up to our show", means up from Merritt or up from Logan Lake. I presume it means up from Merritt, which would put Jaqui's van south of Canoa farms and not right by the lake.

I may be reading too much into this though.

I somehow missed the text in the graphic below. It states she left the retreat Friday "evening". The sun sets around 6:30 in Merritt, BC so it's likely it was dark or getting dark when she stopped on the side of the road. If she was experiencing mechanical issues, it would make sense to hunker down for the night and wait until morning to troubleshoot.

They've also created a Find Jaqui Facebook group now: Log into Facebook
Thanks jash. I was busy typing up my message when you posted the FB link.

From the #findjaquimcdermott FB page I see that photos were posted of the PGSAR mounted team searching for Jaqui over the past several days. They said, "If anyone came up to our show on Friday and saw Jaqueline by her van just before our farm please contact RCMP. If you saw another vehicle by her van please contact RCMP."

FindJaquiMcDermott FB

The farm they are referencing is Canoa Farms, which is between Merritt and Marmit Lake. It looks like Canoa Farms is approximately 8 km south of the southern edge of Mamit Lake and about 18km north of Merritt. I don't know if the reference to "came up to our show", means up from Merritt or up from Logan Lake. I presume it means up from Merritt, which would put Jaqui's van south of Canoa farms and not right by the lake.

I may be reading too much into this though.
Also from their page:

EVENTS 2022

Sept 30th &Oct 1 ,2022 -Canoa Farms Mountain Trail Show. EVERYONE WELCOME! Classes are $20 each , NO AREA FEES, NO AWARD FEES, NO EXTRA FEES.
There are 11 classes from Green as Grass to Novice. This show is gear towards people new to Mountain trail and want to learn more and have fun!
Entry forms listed below with liability form
More info email kellybrookallen@hotmail.com

Hey all. I live in logan lake. Our SAR team is still out there looking. I drive that highway fairly frequently, cell service is intermittent at best with telus who shares towers with bell, and is not covered by accessible wifi. The drive from merritt to logan actually takes about 40 mins. I'd wager a bit slower for somebody who hasn't traveled it before since it is quite a windy road in places, with lots of deer to watch out for and no street lighting. A mix of forest and grassland around where I think she was.

I have to make the drive tomorrow for an appt in merritt. I'd like to see the exact location of where she went missing since there are a few properties within a couple km walking distance for help.

Her leaving keys and personal belongings obviously isn't a good sign though. Has anyone from the retreat spoken about her mental state/reason for leaving early?

Hey all. I live in logan lake. Our SAR team is still out there looking. I drive that highway fairly frequently, cell service is intermittent at best with telus who shares towers with bell, and is not covered by accessible wifi. The drive from merritt to logan actually takes about 40 mins. I'd wager a bit slower for somebody who hasn't traveled it before since it is quite a windy road in places, with lots of deer to watch out for and no street lighting. A mix of forest and grassland around where I think she was.

I have to make the drive tomorrow for an appt in merritt. I'd like to see the exact location of where she went missing since there are a few properties within a couple km walking distance for help.

Her leaving keys and personal belongings obviously isn't a good sign though. Has anyone from the retreat spoken about her mental state/reason for leaving early?

Welcome to Websleuths! We love it when we get info from locals so thank you for sharing.

I haven't seen anything publicly from the retreat people but I assume the RCMP would have spoken with them by now.

Would it be unusual to see a vehicle pulled off on the side of the road, possibly overnight? How busy is that highway?

In terms of location, all we know is it's in the area of Mamit Lake. Maybe you will see activity by the searchers tomorrow and that will help narrow down where her van was left (I assume it's been towed away by now).

Welcome to Websleuths! We love it when we get info from locals so thank you for sharing.

I haven't seen anything publicly from the retreat people but I assume the RCMP would have spoken with them by now.

Would it be unusual to see a vehicle pulled off on the side of the road, possibly overnight? How busy is that highway?

In terms of location, all we know is it's in the area of Mamit Lake. Maybe you will see activity by the searchers tomorrow and that will help narrow down where her van was left (I assume it's been towed away by now).
Came here looking for more info myself, happy to see so many people trying to help.

It's a 2 lane rural highway, that doesn't have much room on either side to pull over in most places, much of the land is fenced off to keep the grazing cattle in. Somebody pulled over on the side for any amount of time would be odd. The only ones pulled over are usually directly at mamit lake fishing, or the ranchers who own the land.

The road sees a fair amount of traffic during the day, at least every 10 minutes particularly when Highland Valley Copper mine changes shifts between 5:30 to 8 am, and 5:30 to 8 pm. Our union page has asked all HVC employees if they saw her during shift change. Traffic would be next to nothing overnight.

Will hopefully find a babysitter so I can join the search, or at least get a better look at where she was last seen tomorrow.

Came here looking for more info myself, happy to see so many people trying to help.

It's a 2 lane rural highway, that doesn't have much room on either side to pull over in most places, much of the land is fenced off to keep the grazing cattle in. Somebody pulled over on the side for any amount of time would be odd. The only ones pulled over are usually directly at mamit lake fishing, or the ranchers who own the land.

The road sees a fair amount of traffic during the day, at least every 10 minutes particularly when Highland Valley Copper mine changes shifts between 5:30 to 8 am, and 5:30 to 8 pm. Our union page has asked all HVC employees if they saw her during shift change. Traffic would be next to nothing overnight.

Will hopefully find a babysitter so I can join the search, or at least get a better look at where she was last seen tomorrow.
Yes, welcome annicaelan! We appreciate you joining. Your input will definitely be valuable.

I love that the community is coming together to search for Jaqui!

I am wondering though, if as in many other remote areas, that some locals appreciate their privacy. Possibly someone was upset with her trespassing to ask for help? Perhaps she stumbled across something? I recognize that this is a very, very longshot and that it is more likely that a passerby picked her up or that she wandered away due to a mental health issue. I'm just trying to think through all possibilities.

Again, welcome to Websleuths!

If JM has been abducted from the area where her vehicle was found, I have concerns about the area east of Logan Lake where there are a number of copper mining sites. In the same area, in close proximity to the mines, is the Bose public recreation area. This whole area provides many hidey holes or potential dump sites. It is close to the main road yet off the beaten path.
If she was abducted in daylight, the perpetrator would want to get off the main road asap because there are few pull offs in the area and a car stopped at the edge draws attention to it. Quite a few locals reported seeing JM filling her tank and also reported seeing the van. Things do not go unnoticed in this area.

Attachments

• 5480C3EB-3BEE-423E-A7F0-DBBB4A587569.jpeg
    5480C3EB-3BEE-423E-A7F0-DBBB4A587569.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 10
  • BD910538-8FDE-427C-95C7-C84E2A383338.jpeg
    BD910538-8FDE-427C-95C7-C84E2A383338.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 9
Yes, welcome annicaelan! We appreciate you joining. Your input will definitely be valuable.

I love that the community is coming together to search for Jaqui!

I am wondering though, if as in many other remote areas, that some locals appreciate their privacy. Possibly someone was upset with her trespassing to ask for help? Perhaps she stumbled across something? I recognize that this is a very, very longshot and that it is more likely that a passerby picked her up or that she wandered away due to a mental health issue. I'm just trying to think through all possibilities.

Again, welcome to Websleuths!
If anyone knows exactly where the van was found we can look up the grazing leases/land titles. Most of that land around mamit is owned by one family, that isn't fond of trespassers. (Lots of people, myself included have asked to access the crown land behind and been told no which is fair. ) they seem friendly enough though. I haven't had enough interaction to say otherwise. I'd be surprised if they weren't out on their horses helping with the search since they know the area well. They drive their cattle up and down that section of highway pretty frequently.

Like you said it seems more likely she was picked up or just left? Neither of which are great options.

If JM has been abducted from the area where her vehicle was found, I have concerns about the area east of Logan Lake where there are a number of copper mining sites. In the same area, in close proximity to the mines, is the Bose public recreation area. This whole area provides many hidey holes or potential dump sites. It is close to the main road yet off the beaten path.
If she was abducted in daylight, the perpetrator would want to get off the main road asap because there are few pull offs in the area and a car stopped at the edge draws attention to it. Quite a few locals reported seeing JM filling her tank and also reported seeing the van. Things do not go unnoticed in this area.

Very good points.

I actually work at that mine. Its a large gated property with security. It's also hunting season here and logan lake is a popular spot. So lots of people out and about. Bose is a decently popular lake for fishing. We did have a fire rip through last year and alot of area is burned out and won't see much traffic. Look up the Tremont fire map. If you have anywhere in particular you'd like me to check out, just point me in a direction. I live in logan, have a 4x4 and a baby who likes a dirt road drive. There is ALOT of dense forest left, and many a forest road.

I was going to maybe try witchesbrook. It's the second exit when you turn left at the intersection off 97c towards the mine/ashcroft and the quickesr, most easily accessible for a non 4wd vehicle.

Do we have a specific timeline for when Jaqui was last seen?
When did she leave the retreat? When was she seen with the jerrycan?
Would she have been at the side of the road by the time the morning shift change was headed to the mine? Or was it after that?

I actually work at that mine. Its a large gated property with security. It's also hunting season here and logan lake is a popular spot. So lots of people out and about. Bose is a decently popular lake for fishing. We did have a fire rip through last year and alot of area is burned out and won't see much traffic. Look up the Tremont fire map. If you have anywhere in particular you'd like me to check out, just point me in a direction. I live in logan, have a 4x4 and a baby who likes a dirt road drive. There is ALOT of dense forest left, and many a forest road.

I was going to maybe try witchesbrook. It's the second exit when you turn left at the intersection off 97c towards the mine/ashcroft and the quickesr, most easily accessible for a non 4wd vehicle.
Please be careful. <3

Thanks so much for this information, @annicaelan. It helps so much to have input from locals. My next question would have been about access to the mines, so you answered that for us.
Unless, JM had some kind of mental break that made her walk away from everything, I have to consider abduction the next highest probability on my list. The reason for this is the keys she left behind. If she walked into the woods to relieve herself or even just to stretch her legs, or if she started off towards town to find someone who could help fix the van, I really believe she would have taken the keys. Not only is it her transportation, it is her home.
JM seems to be a confident, self assured young woman. She is used to traveling on her own. I think she would have good instincts and a pretty accurate hunky meter. However, if you’re alone with a broken down vehicle several miles from the nearest town, you may be more apt to accept a ride from the friendly stranger who stops to lend you a hand.

Thanks for your concern ❤️

I've let the husband know where we're going and have my location tracking on.

Not sure if you read this, but volunteer searchers are required to check-in. It’s always heartwarming when local people like you are willing to donate time and energy in helping to search for a non-local missing person, I’m sure Jacqueline’s family is very grateful as well.

“Merritt RCMP Sgt. Josh Roda says Search and Rescue (SAR) are resuming their search efforts at Mamit Lake Friday (Oct. 7) morning at 9 a.m.

He says they will continue searching throughout the weekend.

Roda adds anyone in the public is welcome to join in the search. They would just need to check in with the SAR manager on site.”

I just went through all the comments on the allowed IG page to see if any additional "official" info is available and found the below posted by the admin on Oct 4th. So we have confirmation that the van was indeed broken down (I'm guessing Jaqui was hoping it just needed more gas). I don't know why they wouldn't publicly share the exact location though -- don't want amateurs messing up the scene?

Interestingly, they are not responding to questions about her phone (whether it was left behind).

www.instagram.com/p/CjS5w4VLBOq/

findjaquimcdermott @[XXXXXX] the van was found on the highway stretch noted. The specific location is not currently being publicly shared. The van was broken down.​

Someone who knows more than me, why would they withhold the actual location? What is the value that outweighs getting potential public feedback?

Do we have a specific timeline for when Jaqui was last seen?
When did she leave the retreat? When was she seen with the jerrycan?
Would she have been at the side of the road by the time the morning shift change was headed to the mine? Or was it after that?
These are the questions we need answers to so we can develop some fact based theories. I’m sure LE has the answers to most of them.
In addition to your questions, @Snoopster, I have a couple of my own:
Why did she decide to not stay for the retreat?
Where did she spend the night of 9/30-10/1?
Did she park somewhere off road and run the engine for heat that night using up excess fuel?
Sounds like quite a bit of drugs in the area. That could bring plenty of unsavory characters traveling the road between Logan Lake and Merritt. RCMP in British Columbia - Merritt RCMP take guns and drugs off the street

The timeline of her disappearance would seem to be able to be narrowed to the time between when she was seen standing by the van with the jerrycan to the time the van was found abandoned.

Not sure if you read this, but volunteer searchers are required to check-in. It’s always heartwarming when local people like you are willing to donate time and energy in helping to search for a non-local missing person, I’m sure Jacqueline’s family is very grateful as well.

“Merritt RCMP Sgt. Josh Roda says Search and Rescue (SAR) are resuming their search efforts at Mamit Lake Friday (Oct. 7) morning at 9 a.m.

He says they will continue searching throughout the weekend.

Roda adds anyone in the public is welcome to join in the search. They would just need to check in with the SAR
I'm closer to logan lake, away from the current SAR effort. My little one will tolerate my truck but not a carrier, so a ground search is out for us. Hopefully I can at least get some eyes on forest roads near but outside of the search pattern without signing in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PearlLemonLeadsUSA
Back