Found Deceased Canada - Jacqueline McDermott, 22, car broke down on Hwy 97 C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, BC, 30 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm curious about why her van stopped working. Was it something obvious, or tampering? Did someone in the Merritt area see her traveling alone in her van with Ontario plates and follow her?

The most likely scenario that I can think of it that someone saw her and took her. The reason for this is somewhat influenced by so many vanished people in the area who are never found. I do not think that they all wandered off, got lost, got eaten by a bear ... and so on. It happens too often in central BC for it to be accident.

“It’s a needle in a haystack. It’s upsetting for us,” said [Jaqui]'s mother, after getting a tour of the area in a helicopter with RCMP.

“It’s really rough terrain around here if you don’t know your way around,” ... “We can see from being up there how easy it could be to get turned around. And so our hope is that she’ll walk out of the forest and be like where is my van?”

The parents said several friends and family...will be flying out soon to join the search. They said there are already dozens searching the area, many of who are volunteers.

“We’re still optimistic. We’re still harbouring hope that we’re going to be able to find Jaqui.” said...Jaqui's father.

[Jaqui's mother] said she believes her daughter is still out there and has a good chance at survival.

“She’s tree planted. She has done camping. She is a hiker. She is strong. She’s a vegan so she can forage for food probably,” she said.

Her parents said they plan to stay out west for as long as it takes to find their daughter.

This is probably unrelated, but if the AllTrails app is putting hikers in Kananaskis, Alberta (Rocky Mountains) "in peril" with false information, the same could be true of other trails in Western Canada.

Did Jaqui rely on the AllTrails app?

View attachment 371669
Oct 5, 2022

Well that's scary. I've used that app before.

I know Jaqui's parents are hoping she is just lost but I don't think someone who is experiencing vehicle trouble would decide to go for a hike, leaving keys and other belongings behind in an unlocked van that is at risk of being towed.

“It’s a needle in a haystack. It’s upsetting for us,” said [Jaqui]'s mother, after getting a tour of the area in a helicopter with RCMP.

“It’s really rough terrain around here if you don’t know your way around,” ... “We can see from being up there how easy it could be to get turned around. And so our hope is that she’ll walk out of the forest and be like where is my van?”

The parents said several friends and family...will be flying out soon to join the search. They said there are already dozens searching the area, many of who are volunteers.

“We’re still optimistic. We’re still harbouring hope that we’re going to be able to find Jaqui.” said...Jaqui's father.

[Jaqui's mother] said she believes her daughter is still out there and has a good chance at survival.

“She’s tree planted. She has done camping. She is a hiker. She is strong. She’s a vegan so she can forage for food probably,” she said.

Her parents said they plan to stay out west for as long as it takes to find their daughter.
So, so difficult to think about what Jaqui's parents are going through.

Hopefully she's had a 'well-being walk-about' and will be found in the next day or two. The weather has been comfortably warm during the day, but dropping to low single-digits celsius at night. Hopefully she has some warm clothes with her.

Of course foul play is also on the table, and maybe she will be found or escape soon.

Looking for any way to have a positive outcome here!!
People are looking for your Jaqui!

Her parents are assuming that she wandered away from her vehicle and got lost in the forest. It's fairly easy to know East and West because of sunrise and sunset. If she climbed a hill, she would have a good view of the valley and Lake Mamit. I'm not convinced that someone who wandered away from the van would have that much difficulty sorting out direction and orientation.

It sounds like her parents are confident that she has the common sense to survive in the forest and to sort out a solution. It's been a week since she was last seen.

1665191082665.png

This is probably unrelated, but if the AllTrails app is putting hikers in Kananaskis, Alberta (Rocky Mountains) "in peril" with false information, the same could be true of other trails in Western Canada.

Did Jaqui rely on the AllTrails app?

View attachment 371669
Oct 5, 2022

There don't seem to be any 'curated trails' on AllTrails anywhere along Mamit Lake road between Merritt and Logan Lake. So luckily this is unlikely to be relevant in this particular case.

(Note to self: download an additional app for checking if I am going to be hiking in any challenging areas.)

Well that's scary. I've used that app before.

I know Jaqui's parents are hoping she is just lost but I don't think someone who is experiencing vehicle trouble would decide to go for a hike, leaving keys and other belongings behind in an unlocked van that is at risk of being towed.
Most people have used the app, but the trail info is crowd sourced. Clearly someone in the Kananaskis area uploaded some very bad information that's putting hikers in danger. If it can happen once, it can happen more often.

I agree that a 22 year old would not abandon her keys and her van safety in a remote area after her vehicle broke down.

I hope investigators are looking for footage of her vehicle leaving Merritt to see whether anyone is more or less behind her the entire time.

There's a tactic that was used to capture Russell Williams in Ontario (serial murderer). On the same day of the week, same time of day, that one of his victims was murdered, police set up a road block along that stretch of road a week or so later. Williams drove through the area and his tires were matched to tire tracks at the victim's home.

That would be one way to get a profile of people who normally travel that highway that day of the week ... maybe someone saw something and doesn't realize that it's important.

So my best understanding of the timeline so far is:

- Thurs Sep 29 - last time Jaqui's family communicated with her.

- Fri Sep 30 - JM had 'planned to attend yoga retreat' at Vipassana Meditation Centre of BC (25 minute drive south of Merritt). She 'left shortly after'.

- Fri Sep 30 - JM's van seen at the side of Mamit Lake road between Merritt and Logan Lake. People driving by see her van Friday afternoon near Canoa Farms. This is about a 15 minute drive north of Merritt.

- Sat Oct 1 - JM's family reports her missing. RCMP begins investigation.
Finds out that she left the yoga retreat on Sep 30. Finds the van on Mamit Lake Rd. People (someone?) saw Jaqui with a jerrycan beside her van the morning of Oct 1. Searches begin in the area around her van.

These are the roads in the area where her van was seen near Canoa Farms (the red dot). Canoa Farms is between Merritt and Logan Lake (40 minute drive). Her vehicle was found on the highway near Canoa Farm land. For me, it's still unclear whether the vehicle was at the Canoa Farm business on Sept 30, or near the Canoa farmland on Oct 1, or both.

I think that only someone who knows the area would use these roads for criminal activity. It's also possible that she is 20 miles away. That sometimes happens with missing women, children, and other victims of predators. At this time, she's simply missing with unknown cause - nothing to indicate a predator.

1665196503807.png

1665196357359.png

- Fri Sep 30 - JM had 'planned to attend yoga retreat' at Vipassana Meditation Centre of BC (25 minute drive south of Merritt). She 'left shortly after'.

- Fri Sep 30 - JM's van seen at the side of Mamit Lake road between Merritt and Logan Lake. People driving by see her van Friday afternoon near Canoa Farms. This is about a 15 minute drive north of Merritt.

Finds out that she left the yoga retreat on Sep 30. Finds the van on Mamit Lake Rd. People (someone?) saw Jaqui with a jerrycan beside her van the morning of Oct 1. Searches begin in the area around her van.
Was her vehicle parked in the same spot, or in the same area, near Canoa Farms from evening of Sept 30 to morning of Oct 1?

1). Is the person(s) who said they saw her on the morning of October 1st. credible witnesses?
2). There is no way a 22 year old girl would leave her van unlocked with all her personal belongings in it (including the van keys) and take a leisurely hike or even to go to the washroom, especially in an unfamiliar area.
3). There has been no mention that Jacqueline had any previous or current mental health issues.
4. This scenario reminds me of the Australian guy (Lucas Fowler) and his girlfriend (Chynna Deere) who were travelling in BC and we’re murdered a few years back. Along with Leonard Deese, who was murdered by the same culprits as Lucas and his girlfriend.
5. Although I am trying to stay positive, I think it is unlIkely that the outcome will be positive. I think she was taken by force from her van or from near her van.

Last edited:
1). Is the person(s) who said they saw her on the morning of October 1st. credible witnesses?
2). There is no way a 22 year old girl would leave her van unlocked with all her personal belongings in it (including the van keys) and take a leisurely hike or even to go to the washroom, especially in an unfamiliar area.
3). There has been no mention that Jacqueline had any previous or current mental health issues.
4. This scenario reminds me of the Australian guy (Lucas Fowler) and his girlfriend (Chynna Deere) who were travelling in BC and we’re murdered a few years back. Along with Leonard Deese, who was murdered by the same culprits as Lucas and his girlfriend.
5. Although I am trying to stay positive, I think it is unlIkely that the outcome will be positive. I think she was taken by force from her van or from near her van.
Initial reports of the last sighting is from October 1, morning, somewhere on the highway between Merritt and Logan Lake (30 mile and 40 minute drive). A jerry can is mentioned - that she was seen with a jerry can on the highway.

Canoa Farms is mentioned, asking for information about the van parked along the highway near their property. Canoa Farms seems to be about half way between Logan Lake and Merritt.

1665203211136.png

I wonder if the “close friend” has been located? I hadn’t noticed it confirmed that Jacqueline went or left the yoga retreat by herself.

“Leigh said Jaqueline spent most of her time in B.C. with a close friend and was living in her outfitted van.”

I'm also wondering about the friend. How long had JM been in B.C for? Who else might JM (and possibly the friend) have made contact or connections with? Did JM keep track of things on SM like so many others? Thinking of Gabby Petito, Chynna & Lucas Fowler and so many others.

The ability to hike, orient and forage are helpful when in a survival /offgrid situation but it doesn't IMO sound like that kind of scenario. There are too many options within miles of the van where Jacqueline was last seen.

Part of me wonders of JM left of her own volition but it doesn't seem like the kind of area where people go to "accidentally-on-purpose" wander away iykwim.

It's kind of strange IMO that she chose to leave the retreat group shortly after arriving. How long is shortly after? Like 30 minutes, 10 minutes?? Was she alone when she arrived, did she meet anyone there, leave alone? Did anyone else leave before or after JM did?

I'm in Ontario too. Even I have heard rumours about Spences Bridge and the area of Merritt.

BBM ... the last time she spoke to her family was Sept 29, when she planned to attend a yoga retreat. That retreat required a donation, and giving up her phone.

" Thurs Sep 29 - last time Jaqui's family communicated with her. "

No contact with her daily-mom, no text, even though she changed her mind about the yoga retreat? No update to mom about where she'll be overnight on Sept 30?

Where was she on Sept 29?

BBM ... the last time she spoke to her family was Sept 29, when she planned to attend a yoga retreat. That retreat required a donation, and giving up her phone.

" Thurs Sep 29 - last time Jaqui's family communicated with her. "

No contact with her daily-mom, no text, even though she changed her mind about the yoga retreat? No update to mom about where she'll be overnight on Sept 30?

Where was she on Sept 29?
Is it weird to anyone else that JM needed to use a jerrycan? Is it strange that JM would plan a trip and then run out of fuel? **Noting I assume the car needed refueling and that this was the "car trouble" she'd pulled over for. Witnesses who drove past said they spotted JM with a can at the side of the van.

Is it possible that while JM was parked at the retreat, someone siphoned her vehicle? I've heard that drug addicts do this kind of thing. It just seems weird to me that anyone would travel that far without refueling and even with a jerrycan, she wasn't going off road into the bush. Idk.

View attachment 371557
Most recent update off the FB page this am.
Does this mean that the timeline has changed? I guess as I had said in an earlier post that maybe she was parked there near the Canoa Farm the evening of Sept. 30th. In the morning her van broke down. We don't know when it brokedown. Was it broken down or something else like superficial that could have been done deliberately. If she is lost by now she would have come across help. So IDK.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back