Found Deceased Canada - Jacqueline McDermott, 22, car broke down on Hwy 97 C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, BC, 30 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Found this new article which seems to confirm that Jaqui arrived at the retreat on Friday and left the same day.

Last Friday (Sept. 30), Jacqueline, who also goes by Jaqui, had planned to attend a meditation retreat near Merritt. Her parents say she did make it to the retreat, but left after a short while. The next day, her vehicle was found broken down, believed to have run out of fuel, along Highway 97C between Merritt and Logan Lake.

“We don’t know exactly what happened but she left the retreat and after that was spotted a few times on the Friday (Sept. 30) in the area,” says [her mother]. “She was spotted on Saturday morning (Oct. 1) in the area, and then after that, just her van was spotted on the side of the road, but haven’t seen her since then.”

Regarding the 10-day retreat, I don't believe that was a possibility for Jaqui. This is an archive of the schedule (current schedule doesn't show past dates): Vipassana.

The 10-day course in the relevant time frame was running from Sep. 21st to Oct. 2nd. If Jaqui showed up at the end of September, I'm not sure what she was planning on doing. It sounds like you have to apply in advance and the courses seem to fill up.

For what it's worth, I found some reviews of this specific location and they were positive. However, it would still be a hard pass for me!
Perhaps this was why she left the retreat the same day she arrived. Maybe she didn't know or realize that, and thought it was more of a drop-in place. She could have showed up, talked to the staff and realized it wasn't possible for her to start mid-session, and then left shortly thereafter. That would explain why she left.

Do we know if JM carried bear spray with her? Or any other type of personal alarm?

I am wondering if it was the same spot where she was seen using the jerrycan, that the van was found abandoned. The info seems conflicting or maybe it’s just me.
Wondered the same thing. Is the location where JM was seen with the jerrycan the same place where her van was found? Maybe the van stalled and JM tried adding fuel, she was able to get it going down the road a few miles before it stalled again. As @otto suggested, water could have entered the gas tank somehow causing the trouble.

Was the jerrycan found with the van and other belongings? How would anyone know what JM had with her, what would have been missing etc? I can't help think of all the dealings that go on out there, especially clandestine activities involving things like gasoline iykwim. Wonder if SAR have come across anything such as drano, batteries, bleach etc. *Please know I'm not lumping JM into this crowd, just saying there are "bush people" who do bad things and take advantage.

Is there any chance JM was met with some kind of predatorial animal like a cougar? This link suggests not bending down, crouching etc. It also mentions that cougars are active from dusk to dawn *Google says dusk sets in around 7pm in Merritt as of this eve FWIW. (Cougar sightings: how to avoid trouble if spotted - Merritt Herald)

I suppose if a cougar was involved, there would be some kind of indication. I hope JM is found safe.

Perhaps this was why she left the retreat the same day she arrived. Maybe she didn't know or realize that, and thought it was more of a drop-in place. She could have showed up, talked to the staff and realized it wasn't possible for her to start mid-session, and then left shortly thereafter. That would explain why she left.

That totally makes sense. Her mom had been quoted as saying Jaqui was planning on meeting up with some friends after the retreat to explore more of that area before heading back to Vancouver (per Jaqui's own Instagram post, she was planning on being downtown Vancouver on Oct. 4 & 5). So whatever she was planning on doing, she was not planning on doing it for more than a couple days.

That makes sense. Has anyone from the retreat spoken about seeing or speaking with JM? That's why I asked about a guest book or register.

How did JM find out about the retreat in the first place? It seems odd that she would drive all that way without a reservation or knowledge of the "itinerary".

Where is Jaqcuis friend, the one she'd been travelling with?

This all just seems too strange to be a coincidence. She told people she was attending a retreat without knowing it had already begun, attempted to attend, left shortly after, then her van breaks down and she's nowhere to be found.

Had her van broken down anywhere else along her trip?

That totally makes sense. Her mom had been quoted as saying Jaqui was planning on meeting up with some friends after the retreat to explore more of that area before heading back to Vancouver (per Jaqui's own Instagram post, she was planning on being downtown Vancouver on Oct. 4 & 5). So whatever she was planning on doing, she was not planning on doing it for more than a couple days.

I think there might have been a 3-day program starting about then. It still doesn't explain why JM's parents weren't aware that she might be offline for a while.

And, why was Jaqui heading NORTH from Merritt? What was the 'attraction' to head in that direction? Where was she headed after leaving the yoga retreat? Does anyone know? Did she tell anyone? Who was she hanging out with at the time?

So many questions.

I haven't found a social media presence for Jaqui. She likely has one, but I've missed it. Perhaps she made some comments on there?

I haven't found a social media presence for Jaqui. She likely has one, but I've missed it. Perhaps she made some comments on there?

These are Jaqui's IG accounts: Jaqui (@ndsjq) • Instagram photos and videos & NDS Tattoos (@nds_tattoos) • Instagram photos and videos

This is Jaqui's art website. She's very talented. About | NDS

In this IG post, she indicated she was planning on being in downtown Vancouver Oct 4 - 8th.

The Meditation Center is south of the town of Merritt.

So its obvious she was heading North when she left since her car was found between Merritt and Logan Lake.

There is appox 40 miles between Merritt and Logan Lake and its a very narrow road 97C.

I wish they would say where exactly her van was located. I just google Earth the route from Merritt to Logan Lake via 97-C. There are a few places she could have walked to for help. Sides roads. Mailbox with driveways...

I attached screen shot of 97-C (also called Mamit Lake Road) to get a lay of the land and how narrow the road is!
Second is an example of a mailbox and driveway along the road.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-97-C.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-97-C.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2022 Mailbox.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022 Mailbox.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 15
Yes, I understood that. But, some people were indicating when the van was found, it was out of gas. However, it seems to me it wasn’t a gas issue but something mechanically wrong with the van. jmo :)
Not sure if the people you're referring to is myself? I wasn't trying to mislead or post incorrect information!

I'd suggested that the van trouble was possibly from gas being siphoned from her van which would explain refuelling (unless her van has an ongoing issue with a fuel line or something except there should be proof like a puddle right? IDK anything about cars tbh). Otto pointed out that water can be added to the fuel tank and that doing so would cause a vehicle to stall or not run properly.

AFAIK the only info is that the van had mechanical issues. It sounds very much like Chynna Deese and Lucas Fowler who also had issues with their van roadside. In that case, IDK if it was ever revealed what was wrong with CD & LF van.

Thanks @jash I was looking for the post about JM planning to head to Vancouver for October 4th. Her work is amazing! Wondering about the people she tattooed, she probably meets all kinds of people. Did JM work out of her van or have some kind of studio or rental space?

Not sure if the people you're referring to is myself? I wasn't trying to mislead or post incorrect information!

I'd suggested that the van trouble was possibly from gas being siphoned from her van which would explain refuelling (unless her van has an ongoing issue with a fuel line or something except there should be proof like a puddle right? IDK anything about cars tbh). Otto pointed out that water can be added to the fuel tank and that doing so would cause a vehicle to stall or not run properly.

AFAIK the only info is that the van had mechanical issues. It sounds very much like Chynna Deese and Lucas Fowler who also had issues with their van roadside. In that case, IDK if it was ever revealed what was wrong with CD & LF van.

Thanks @jash I was looking for the post about JM planning to head to Vancouver for October 4th. Her work is amazing! Wondering about the people she tattooed, she probably meets all kinds of people. Did JM work out of her van or have some kind of studio or rental space?
No I wasn’t referring to you at all. Just a general statement :). And to continue to bring interest to this thread.
However, my confusion is and perhaps you or someone can help me understand…..
The spot were Jacqueline was seen with a jerrycan, is that the same spot that the abandoned van was found or was it further down the road?

Regarding the 10-day retreat, I don't believe that was a possibility for Jaqui. This is an archive of the schedule (current schedule doesn't show past dates): Vipassana.

The 10-day course in the relevant time frame was running from Sep. 21st to Oct. 2nd. If Jaqui showed up at the end of September, I'm not sure what she was planning on doing. It sounds like you have to apply in advance and the courses seem to fill up.

For what it's worth, I found some reviews of this specific location and they were positive. However, it would still be a hard pass for me!
Hard pass for me as well. Expectations and rules are too strict for my liking…I couldn’t do it.

Last edited:
I have no idea whether the spot where JM was using the jerrycan is the same spot where the van was found. Or if the spot where JM used the jerrycan is the same spot she'd parked initially.

*ETA I've heard of people installing a locking gas cap to prevent theft. People really are out there stealing gasoline!

"Buying stolen gasoline in the central Mexican state of Puebla is easy. Pull off the main highway into a busy parking lot, and the black marketeers are waiting in pickup trucks loaded with jerrycans. They’ll siphon the fuel into your tank—boasting as they do that unlike a lot of the country’s regular gas stations, they don’t cheat customers."

Hard pass for me as well. Expectations of rules are too strict for my liking…I couldn’t do it.

Me either! I'd miss WS and I talk too much :)

Last edited:
I think there might have been a 3-day program starting about then. It still doesn't explain why JM's parents weren't aware that she might be offline for a while.

And, why was Jaqui heading NORTH from Merritt? What was the 'attraction' to head in that direction? Where was she headed after leaving the yoga retreat? Does anyone know? Did she tell anyone? Who was she hanging out with at the time?

So many questions.

I haven't found a social media presence for Jaqui. She likely has one, but I've missed it. Perhaps she made some comments on Maybe to the mamit lake pullout to camp? I wonder if she'd driven the road before and seen the nice spots on the lake. Ashcroft ? Everything in logan lake closes early, the gas stations here close at 10.

As for heading north, If she was headed to kamloops and she had maybe been at the Walmart or even on the way from the retreat she would have been closer to or most likely on hwy 5 ( coquihalla ) so i don't think she was going there. It's very possible that she was planning on taking hwy 1 to Vancouver via ashcroft to hope instead of the coquihalla hwy which is under construction and would be busy for the Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada.

On the official fb page a post says that all her cell activity has been checked out, and everyone questioned. It seems odd that she had plans to meet up with friends after the retreat like someone here had already said, and didn't tell anyone where she was going?

As for heading north, If she was headed to kamloops and she had maybe been at the Walmart or even on the way from the retreat she would have been closer to or most likely on hwy 5 ( coquihalla ) so i don't think she was going there. It's very possible that she was planning on taking hwy 1 to Vancouver via ashcroft to hope instead of the coquihalla hwy which is under construction and would be busy for the Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada.

On the official fb page a post says that all her cell activity has been checked out, and everyone questioned. It seems odd that she had plans to meet up with friends after the retreat like someone here had already said, and didn't tell anyone where she was going?
IIRC the statement about meeting with friends came from JMs parents. JM didn't tell anyone where she was headed but she did let people know where she intended to be on October 4th.

I've read that JM posted/mentioned her intention to travel to Vancouver for October 4th. I believe her trip could have involved her tattooing work (don't take my word, I'm just guessing bc she posted about being in VanC for Oct 4th on her tattoo IG account IIRC).

JM parents report her missing October 1st. JM planned to be in Vancouver for Oct 4th. Considering her location and the location of her van, how long would it have taken for her to get to Vancouver? (apparently less than 3 hours depending on the route and traffic)

The meditation centre is south of Merritt. Vancouver is south-west. The van was found north, between Merritt and Logan Lake. ?!?

Sorry to keep posting but what about this? It's an event based off Burning Man. Looking at the photo gallery, it seems like something JM would be into. I noticed it on the map when Googling Merritt etc. Perhaps she had been here at some point?

The event went on from September 14 to 18.

IIRC the statement about meeting with friends came from JMs parents. JM didn't tell anyone where she was headed but she did let people know where she intended to be on October 4th.

I've read that JM posted/mentioned her intention to travel to Vancouver for October 4th. I believe her trip could have involved her tattooing work (don't take my word, I'm just guessing bc she posted about being in VanC for Oct 4th on her tattoo IG account IIRC).

JM parents report her missing October 1st. JM planned to be in Vancouver for Oct 4th. Considering her location and the location of her van, how long would it have taken for her to get to Vancouver? (apparently less than 3 hours depending on the route and traffic)

The meditation centre is south of Merritt. Vancouver is south-west. The van was found north, between Merritt and Logan Lake. ?!?

There are 2 options to get to Vancouver from merritt.

Option 1 is the coquihalla, hwy 5. It connects to to the 1 in hope. It's usually the fastest and most popular route. Last year however a series of weather events washed out several bridges leaving it in a state of perpetual construction and single lane traffic. Many bridges are still under construction.

Option 2 is merritt to logan lake on highway 97c, left on 97c towards ashcroft and meet up with hwy 1 at either the bypass south of ashcroft, or at just south of cache creek. This route is way nicer on my opinion. It would add about 2 hours to her trip, but it is also a very popular route. I often opt to go that way when headed to the coast from logan because it's gorgeous.

Last edited:
Is there any chance JM was met with some kind of predatorial animal like a cougar?
IMO its a reasonable idea if she had wandered off the road. That said, the attacking animal wouldn't hide her body and wouldn't have been very neat about its business, either. So I find it unlikely that she would have been attacked and wouldn't have been found by now given all the searching. IMO

You're recalling correctly.

[Jaqui's mom] said her daughter was going to a yoga retreat in Merritt with plans to meet friends afterward to do some exploring before heading back to Vancouver where she has friends and tattoo clients.

ndsjq

This could be your next tattoo vibe. follow my page @nds_tattoos & message me ~ VANCOUVER: Ill be downtown october 4th to 8th.
(i take all my background photo shots)
Edited · 2w

IMO its a reasonable idea if she had wandered off the road. That said, the attacking animal wouldn't hide her body and wouldn't have been very neat about its business, either. So I find it unlikely that she would have been attacked and wouldn't have been found by now given all the searching. IMO
I agree on both points. I suppose personally I don't want to entertain the idea of JM wandering off (intentionally or otherwise). Plus I believe it's against TOS to discuss someones state of mind.

Larger predators do sometimes bury their prey but not for very long. I'd imagine something would have been discovered by now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back