Found Deceased Canada - Jacqueline McDermott, 22, car broke down on Hwy 97 C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, BC, 30 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is it weird to anyone else that JM needed to use a jerrycan? Is it strange that JM would plan a trip and then run out of fuel? **Noting I assume the car needed refueling and that this was the "car trouble" she'd pulled over for. Witnesses who drove past said they spotted JM with a can at the side of the van.

Is it possible that while JM was parked at the retreat, someone siphoned her vehicle? I've heard that drug addicts do this kind of thing. It just seems weird to me that anyone would travel that far without refueling and even with a jerrycan, she wasn't going off road into the bush. Idk.
I think it's very unusual that she needed to use a jerry can given that she was no more than 20 minutes from a gas station at any time. There's really no explanation for a 22 year old who drove across Canada to unexpectedly run out of gas on a 30 mile highway.

Siphoned her gas, or added water to the gas tank? I'm not sure how it works, but putting some water in the gas tank will eventually stall the vehicle. It doesn't break down right away, but once it does, it doesn't start.

I think it's very unusual that she needed to use a jerry can given that she was no more than 20 minutes from a gas station at any time. There's really no explanation for a 22 year old who drove across Canada to unexpectedly run out of gas on a 30 mile highway.

Siphoned her gas, or added water to the gas tank? I'm not sure how it works, but putting some water in the gas tank will eventually stall the vehicle. It doesn't break down right away, but once it does, it doesn't start.
My thoughts exactly. Someone who is otherwise seemingly prepared and experienced who travelled that far suddenly has car trouble?

Interesting. I suppose forensics would reveal something like water in the gas tank? Or any other tampering for that matter. I feel like this is a tactic that stalkers/SKs would employ to make their target vulnerable. Which means if this were done, someone had to be lying in wait along the road somewhere. Creepy.

Is there any kind of sign-in or registry for the "Farm Show" and retreat? Wondering where JM parked during her visit to the retreat and who else attended.

Her parents are assuming that she wandered away from her vehicle and got lost in the forest. It's fairly easy to know East and West because of sunrise and sunset. If she climbed a hill, she would have a good view of the valley and Lake Mamit. I'm not convinced that someone who wandered away from the van would have that much difficulty sorting out direction and orientation.

It sounds like her parents are confident that she has the common sense to survive in the forest and to sort out a solution. It's been a week since she was last seen.

View attachment 371674
Yah, but IDK about that if she was near Canoa Farm why wouldn't she go ask for help there. If she came off the highway wouldn't she the tourist information signs on the highway as she's driving by them. Jaquie is pretty sophisticated when using technology so she would know what civilization was nearby and she could always go ask them for help. Specifically I mean she would see where she was and what was around before heading to the location. So she I'm sure she'd know that Canoa Farm was there.

My thoughts exactly. Someone who is otherwise seemingly prepared and experienced who travelled that far suddenly has car trouble?

Interesting. I suppose forensics would reveal something like water in the gas tank? Or any other tampering for that matter. I feel like this is a tactic that stalkers/SKs would employ to make their target vulnerable. Which means if this were done, someone had to be lying in wait along the road somewhere. Creepy.

Is there any kind of sign-in or registry for the "Farm Show" and retreat? Wondering where JM parked during her visit to the retreat and who else attended.
The operator of the canoa farm has been working with SAR all week and has Informed everyone who attended the show and asked for information.

I'd also be interested to know who she knew at the yoga retreat, or how she heard about it.
Yah, but IDK about that if she was near Canoa Farm why wouldn't she go ask for help there. If she came off the highway wouldn't she the tourist information signs on the highway as she's driving by them. Jaquie is pretty sophisticated when using technology so she would know what civilization was nearby and she could always go ask them for help. Specifically I mean she would see where she was and what was around before heading to the location. So she I'm sure she'd know that Canoa Farm was there.
I can only imagine she wanted to just wait it out in the van that night/early am? Alot of the properties are set pretty far back from the highway, and would seem maybe a bit dodgy to her to go knocking in the dark for help? Canoa farm mostly just looks like alot of the other farms when you're driving by to be honest, especially at night. But there are a couple properties within walking distance of where she broke down.

BBM ... the last time she spoke to her family was Sept 29, when she planned to attend a yoga retreat. That retreat required a donation, and giving up her phone.

" Thurs Sep 29 - last time Jaqui's family communicated with her. "

No contact with her daily-mom, no text, even though she changed her mind about the yoga retreat? No update to mom about where she'll be overnight on Sept 30?

Where was she on Sept 29?
These are good questions. I just thought of a posibility due to your questions. If for example she decided to leave the yoga retreat because she didn't like the acivities and her phone was on during the time she handed it in to them. Maybe she forgot to turn it off when she handed it to them then her van unknown to her was starting to have problems and wasn't charging her electronics so she wasn't able to communicate with anyone. Otherwise if she knew she would have told her family & friends that her electronics were losing there charge. Maybe she didn't notice until later on. That may explain that maybe it was sooner than later her van was having mechanical issues until it finally broke down. Is it possible that she was at the yoga retreat on the 29th and she decided she wanted to leave and unknown to her or she didn't realize what was happening to her electronics?

Is it weird to anyone else that JM needed to use a jerrycan? Is it strange that JM would plan a trip and then run out of fuel? **Noting I assume the car needed refueling and that this was the "car trouble" she'd pulled over for. Witnesses who drove past said they spotted JM with a can at the side of the van.

Is it possible that while JM was parked at the retreat, someone siphoned her vehicle? I've heard that drug addicts do this kind of thing. It just seems weird to me that anyone would travel that far without refueling and even with a jerrycan, she wasn't going off road into the bush. Idk.
Good point. I assumed she had enough gas. She is a sophisticated traveller so she would keep this in mind. Maybe someone siphoned her gas near the Canoa Farm.

The operator of the canoa farm has been working with SAR all week and has Informed everyone who attended the show and asked for information.

I'd also be interested to know who she knew at the yoga retreat, or how she heard about it.

I can only imagine she wanted to just wait it out in the van that night/early am? Alot of the properties are set pretty far back from the highway, and would seem maybe a bit dodgy to her to go knocking in the dark for help? Canoa farm mostly just looks like alot of the other farms when you're driving by to be honest, especially at night. But there are a couple properties within walking distance of where she broke down.
Yes in the dark I'm sure she wouldn't. But from what I understand Canoa Farm seems pretty well known, so I was thinking maybe the municipality would advertise it on those blue highway signs B&B etc. kinds of signs. Regardless though of the signs in my imagination Jaquie seems a sophisticated traveller so she would know what was around beforehand. I mean myself I of course don't care for yoga exercises but many people do so I wouldn't look for it but I may look to see what I could utilize in the area. IMO the retreat actually is kind of interesting because one can go if they please and spend some time enjoying the property. So I think that is a unique way of doing things inexpensively yet still getting something out of it that's what I mean by saavy and sophisticated. But unfortunately if one runs into issues with transportation in a desolate setting it can bring on so many diffferent outcomes regardless of how saavy one is. But as I was saying originally IMO she would know about Canoa Farm. I know if I was doing her unique lifestyle she was doing I would just for the sake of safety and civilization. She's out there to enjoy not have unexpected problems, she'd be prepared somehow.

Yes in the dark I'm sure she wouldn't. But from what I understand Canoa Farm seems pretty well known, so I was thinking maybe the municipality would advertise it on those blue highway signs B&B etc. kinds of signs. Regardless though of the signs in my imagination Jaquie seems a sophisticated traveller so she would know what was around beforehand. I mean myself I of course don't care for yoga exercises but many people do so I wouldn't look for it but I may look to see what I could utilize in the area. IMO the retreat actually is kind of interesting because one can go if they please and spend some time enjoying the property. So I think that is a unique way of doing things inexpensively yet still getting something out of it that's what I mean by saavy and sophisticated. But unfortunately if one runs into issues with transportation in a desolate setting it can bring on so many diffferent outcomes regardless of how saavy one is. But as I was saying originally IMO she would know about Canoa Farm. I know if I was doing her unique lifestyle she was doing I would just for the sake of safety and civilization. She's out there to enjoy not have unexpected problems, she'd be prepared somehow.
To the best of my knowledge canoa farms is an independent horse breeder that I've never seen signs for. I think they occasionally do activities there? Ive seen an advertisement for some kind of pottery paint night there at one point on the local merritt fb page but thats about it. They were apparently having some kind of horse show/mountain course/ contest last weekend so it may have looked like some kind of event was happening?

It's my understanding that jaqui attended the vipassana meditation retreat Friday morning and left Friday night. It is meant to be a 10 day stay and has a fairly strict code of conduct for the stay. Being that it is such an intense retreat, I wonder where her head was at going into it? You do have to apply for the course and be accepted. And provide a donation.

Some rules from the vipassana centre code of conduct include:

.Silence except to speak to teacher/management if absolutely necessary,
.no contact with outside world, phone handed into management at beginning, returned at end.
.no music/instruments
. No yoga
.no reading or writing
. Strict meditation hours
. No intoxicants like drugs or alcohol

So while it is by donation, it seems pretty heavy to do just for a cheap stay? Like you said, I don't live the same lifestyle... so some people may think this sounds like a great time .

To the best of my knowledge canoa farms is an independent horse breeder that I've never seen signs for. I think they occasionally do activities there? Ive seen an advertisement for some kind of pottery paint night there at one point on the local merritt fb page but thats about it. They were apparently having some kind of horse show/mountain course/ contest last weekend so it may have looked like some kind of event was happening?

It's my understanding that jaqui attended the vipassana meditation retreat Friday morning and left Friday night. It is meant to be a 10 day stay and has a fairly strict code of conduct for the stay. Being that it is such an intense retreat, I wonder where her head was at going into it? You do have to apply for the course and be accepted. And provide a donation.

Some rules from the vipassana centre code of conduct include:

.Silence except to speak to teacher/management if absolutely necessary,
.no contact with outside world, phone handed into management at beginning, returned at end.
.no music/instruments
. No yoga
.no reading or writing
. Strict meditation hours
. No intoxicants like drugs or alcohol

So while it is by donation, it seems pretty heavy to do just for a cheap stay? Like you said, I don't live the same lifestyle... so some people may think this sounds like a great time .
Right, agree. One thing though someone posted a review about the Vipassana centre retreat in Washington State, the woman who wrote the review didn't like it either but it is lenient in what one can do in their room like sleep later than he time staed getting up at 4:00AM. This reviewer said she slept until 9:00AM. So it is rigid but can be lenient also. But of course I don't think the retreat management would want to stray too much, though so, as a temporary measure maybe one could utilize some benefit. But of course the individual would have to know how to do so. Since I'm not familiar I can't say but perhaps Jacqui is. So IMO that is saavy but I know if I was to do it it would look obvious and I would probably not be able to get away with it, but someone with her knowledge could.

BBM ... the last time she spoke to her family was Sept 29, when she planned to attend a yoga retreat. That retreat required a donation, and giving up her phone.

" Thurs Sep 29 - last time Jaqui's family communicated with her. "

No contact with her daily-mom, no text, even though she changed her mind about the yoga retreat? No update to mom about where she'll be overnight on Sept 30?

Where was she on Sept 29?
If Jaqui was headed to the retreat on Sep 30 wouldn't she have given her parents a heads up that she would would be out of communication for at least several days? Why were they worried on Oct 1?
When exactly did she arrive and depart the retreat?

Has there been any mention in the media, by LE or by her family as to whether they have found her phone? Was it in the van? Have they pinged it if it wasn't? When was it last 'on'?

Regarding the suggestion by another poster that perhaps she just decided to overnight in that spot and her van broke down the next morning....that is not the type of spot that vanlifers would chose to overnight. I looked on iOverlander, a very commonly used app that highlights potential overnight spots, fuel spots, water, etc. and there is no place highlighted on the stretch of road between Merritt and Logan Lake as a place to overnight.

Vanlifers are usually very safety conscious as their van is their home and they usually have a lot of expensive technology and electronics inside. Some even ensure that there is nothing on the outside of their van to indicate that they are vanlifers. Of course Jaqui's van has decorations on the outside advertising her tatoo business and with butterflies. It might signal that it is a live-in van with possibly a female inside.

The gas issue came up because locals reported seeing her at her van on the side of the road with a jerrycan on the morning of 10/1.
Yes, I understood that. But, some people were indicating when the van was found, it was out of gas. However, it seems to me it wasn’t a gas issue but something mechanically wrong with the van. jmo :)

This facebook page is now being run by a friend of the family, who will provide updates every morning and evening.

Hello everyone- I am from BC and live in BC so this story is hitting close to home. It's so difficult when people go missing without a trace because the territory is just so vast here that it makes things so difficult.

I was wondering if the reason Jacqueline was seen putting gas from the jerry can in her van (even though there were gas stations near by) is because when the van broke down, she was just trying anything she could to get it working again (and thought maybe the gas gauge was broken, and tried putting gas to see). Anyway, just a thought. It's been helpful reading everyones comments here, but hard because we have such little information.

This facebook page is now being run by a friend of the family, who will provide updates every morning and evening.

Hello everyone- I am from BC and live in BC so this story is hitting close to home. It's so difficult when people go missing without a trace because the territory is just so vast here that it makes things so difficult.

I was wondering if the reason Jacqueline was seen putting gas from the jerry can in her van (even though there were gas stations near by) is because when the van broke down, she was just trying anything she could to get it working again (and thought maybe the gas gauge was broken, and tried putting gas to see). Anyway, just a thought. It's been helpful reading everyones comments here, but hard because we have such little information.
Welcome to Websleuths Lauren!

We are all hoping for some positive news in this case.

Welcome to websleuths, Lauren!

I am wondering if it was the same spot where she was seen using the jerrycan, that the van was found abandoned. The info seems conflicting or maybe it’s just me.
There aren't any specifics so we all keep guessing based on generic information.
It would be great if LE came out with an update containing a few more details, but they must have their reasons for not doing so. That's why I suspect there is something else going on behind the scenes. (or, maybe I just hope there is something going on behind the scenes.)

Regarding the 10-day retreat, I don't believe that was a possibility for Jaqui. This is an archive of the schedule (current schedule doesn't show past dates): Vipassana.

The 10-day course in the relevant time frame was running from Sep. 21st to Oct. 2nd. If Jaqui showed up at the end of September, I'm not sure what she was planning on doing. It sounds like you have to apply in advance and the courses seem to fill up.

For what it's worth, I found some reviews of this specific location and they were positive. However, it would still be a hard pass for me!

Regarding the 10-day retreat, I don't believe that was a possibility for Jaqui. This is an archive of the schedule (current schedule doesn't show past dates): Vipassana.

The 10-day course in the relevant time frame was running from Sep. 21st to Oct. 2nd. If Jaqui showed up at the end of September, I'm not sure what she was planning on doing. It sounds like you have to apply in advance and the courses seem to fill up.

For what it's worth, I found some reviews of this specific location and they were positive. However, it would still be a hard pass for me!
That's a great point!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back