Found Deceased Canada - Jacqueline McDermott, 22, car broke down on Hwy 97 C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, BC, 30 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The family and friends I’m sure are heartbroken, my condolences to everyone who loved Jacqueline.

Although her cause of death hasn’t been announced, as the retreat in Merritt was heavily focused on meditation I just want to say avid followers of the practise strongly believe it’s the solution to mental, physical and spiritual healing/well-being. So anyone feeling the need to go but suddenly leaves doesn’t strike me as a good thing, the stringent restrictions wouldn’t be surprising at all, it was something else happening at the time IMO.

bolded by me for focus

Do we know that the retreat was already in progress? We don't have official dates. Their website only shows future dates so we can't know what events were in progress. I see that in early October 2023 there is a 3-day retreat.

Do we know she never registered for it? Maybe she did register in advance but then showed up and changed her mind once she saw the detailed agreements and set-up of the place. Perhaps she felt a bad vibe. Or perhaps she had recently met someone and they convinced her not to stay.

I noticed that several people said she left in the evening. Could someone point me to where it's been said in the media that that was when she left? Perhaps she left late morning or in the afternoon and headed into Merritt, parked up temporarily while she made lunch/dinner in her van and then moved on later. I just haven't seen specific timing, but I might have just missed it.

I posted earlier with a link from Wayback Machine. The schedule posted on their website in May 2022 shows the 10-day course was running from Sep 21 to Oct 2. CANADA - Canada - Jacqueline McDermott, 22, car broke down on Hwy 97 C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, BC, 30 Sept 2022

They do offer shorter 3-day courses and in between course programs but those are only available to "old students" (i.e. anyone who has already completed a 10-day course). Of course it's possible Jaqui had previously completed the long course -- they have retreats across the U.S. and Canada.

As for when she left, it was on this graphic: Friends and Family of Jaqui McDermott on Instagram: "UPDATE from Jaqui’s mom - We are overwhelmed at the number of shares and cares regarding Jaqui. Thank you to everyone who has shared so far. ****PLEASE CONTINUE TO SHARE**** We now know she was last seen on Saturday morning, October 1, putting gas into her van (she kept a small jerrycan with gas in it with her). Her van was found abandoned later that day. All of her personal possessions were left in the van. Ground search will continue today further up and down the highway from where the van was found, including helicopter, drones, horseback officers - but there is a good probability she left her van and got into a vehicle which is where we need continued help to get this information out to as many people as possible. *** If you have information which may help locate her, including video surveillance or dash camera footage from that area, please contact the Merritt RCMP Detachment at 250-378-4262. Merritt RCMP 2999 Voght St Merritt, BC V1K 1G9 Email: bcrcmp-grcencb@rcmp-grc.gc.ca https://bc-cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=2087&languageId=1&contentId=76878 Please share this post. #jaquimcdermott #findjaquimcdermott #bcrcmp #rcmp #merritt #loganlake #kamloops #britishcolumbia #bcmissingpersons #missingperson #missingwomen #missingpeoplecanada @bcrcmp @rcmpgrcpolice @ndsjq @nds_tattoos"

It says at the top "We now know, after leaving the Vipassana Meditation Centre on Friday evening, Jaqui was last seen...."

In a statement Sunday, police say the body of Jacqueline McDermott was found on Saturday, Oct. 8.

“Although a full determination has yet to be made, RCMP do not believe that criminality was involved in the woman’s sudden death,” Sgt. Chris Manseau said.

In a statement on facebook, Katharine Kitsemetry, a friend of the McDermott family, also confirmed that Jacqui’s body was found “after exhaustive searches by the B.C. Search and Rescue teams.”

“Thank you for the outpouring of support we have received in our search for Jaqui,” she said.

“Our hearts are forever shattered. Please respect our privacy as we learn how to live in a world without her. Please keep her in your hearts.”

Saddened and sorry to learn that Jacqueline was found in this way. Seeing that she had plans for this past week made me hopeful for a better outcome.

My thoughts are with the family.

@5W's you mentioned in a previous post that JM had solar panels. Could she use them to charge her devices without running the van?

I've only heard of people leaving their keys because they knew they wouldn't need them wherever they were going.

Here's another WS thread mentioning this type of meditation retreat. Involving a MP.

On page 8 of this thread, post #144 says something about Canoa Farm being involved in SAR. Post #83 on page 5 states between Sept 30th and Oct 1st an event was held at the farm.

FWIW this is the same area that Ben Tyner went missing from. Noting Tyner was involved in horse ranching. Just saying. (CANADA - Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019)

RBBM I've wondered if this isn't a possibility. Perhaps even someone who wasn't necessarily friends with her but familiar enough to say "What a coincidence! Sure thanks for helping".

It's not so much weird that JM checked in with her parents, it's that she told them she was attending an event that was already in progress. A retreat she never registered for. A retreat she never actually stayed at. How could she have stayed when the guests are required to hand over phones?

Not to mention how weird is the Vipasanna site? Just me? JMO. *eta corrected spelling error vipasanna not vipisanna.
Solar panels are excellent. You don't need electricity. You do need sun. The solar panels hold the charge so that you can charge up devices depending on your number of solar panels. I thought I had read earlier that her van had solar panels on top. I am wondering why she did not have a luggable loo. It's a five-gallon bucket with a seat used for a bathroom. I thought she had the jerrycan out to let people passing by know that her van was inoperable. This isn't always the best solution, but she could have been hoping for a friendly person to stop and help. People can be very sketchy. Those who are the warmest sometimes turn out to be the ones you would not let babysit your stuffed animals. I read that her parents think she went off to hike. This is understandable, not wanting to think of the worst thing that could have happened. (I wrote this before I realized that she had been found deceased. Prayers for her family and friends).

Last edited:
Gosh this is really sad. If her van was indeed broken down, I wonder if that acted like a trigger -- like a final straw. As much as the rules and schedule at the meditation retreat cause me to shudder, I can't help but think if she had stayed there until she could meet back up with her friends and head to Vancouver (and possibly on to California for the winter), maybe her parents wouldn't now be going through the worst part of their lives. :(

Jaqui’s mother... posted a picture her daughter drew to Facebook on Sunday, along with a statement reading in part: “She was stubborn and funny and creative and passionate and full of joy. She was a beacon that shined out to the world and pulled people close. She believed in goodness and kindness of humans above everything else. She was light.”

RCMP do not believe any criminal activity was involved in Jaqui’s sudden death. But the B.C. Coroners Service has been notified and has launched an investigation into the death.

Gosh this is really sad. If her van was indeed broken down, I wonder if that acted like a trigger -- like a final straw. As much as the rules and schedule at the meditation retreat cause me to shudder, I can't help but think if she had stayed there until she could meet back up with her friends and head to Vancouver (and possibly on to California for the winter), maybe her parents wouldn't now be going through the worst part of their lives. :(

Jaqui’s mother... posted a picture her daughter drew to Facebook on Sunday, along with a statement reading in part: “She was stubborn and funny and creative and passionate and full of joy. She was a beacon that shined out to the world and pulled people close. She believed in goodness and kindness of humans above everything else. She was light.”

RCMP do not believe any criminal activity was involved in Jaqui’s sudden death. But the B.C. Coroners Service has been notified and has launched an investigation into the death.
Yes, I agree only if she had stayed at the retreat. So very sad. I just hope she didn't suffer in her last moments.

I wonder where she was found. Hypothermia after getting lost? A fall, hit her head? I don't think she was dressed for cool weather at night. At the same time why would she leave her keys? Maybe she forgot? What about her cellphone? Did she try to find a private location to go to the loo but ended up getting lost? She must not have been close to her van because they looked around the area. Did she communicate with family/friends after the last time she contacted anyone? If so then what happened? It sounded like she had not communicated with anyone. Why if so?

Last edited:
Jaqueline‘s passing reminds me so much of that of Holly Clark. Both young, both very artistically talented, both adventuresome spirits travelling to the opposite ends of the country from where they were raised, and each had solid family support. Yet neither family may not ever truly understand how it came to be that they lost their beloved daughter although no doubt she will live on forever in their hearts.

Jaqueline‘s passing reminds me so much of that of Holly Clark. Both young, both very artistically talented, both adventuresome spirits travelling to the opposite ends of the country from where they were raised, and each had solid family support. Yet neither family may not ever truly understand how it came to be that they lost their beloved daughter although no doubt she will live on forever in their hearts.
So many artistic people have an 'extra emtional sense that contributes to their unique talent. Unfortunately their high degree of empathy means that they feel so much pain. These are truly lovely people who bear such an emotional burden. Clearly Jaqui cared so much about the planet and other beings that we share this planet with. I hope she's at peace now.

Are Nicola Valley, Merritt, Mamit Lake and Lake Logan all separate "territories"? The article states Nicola Valley searchers found JM so I assume they search within their area? Just wondering as it was stated that the van was spotted between Mamit Lake and Lake Logan which is north of Nicola Valley. Fwiw.

"McDermott was travelling across the country in her van, setting out this past summer from the Kitchener-Waterloo area of Ontario.

The family has asked for privacy as it deals with the discovery."

Are Nicola Valley, Merritt, Mamit Lake and Lake Logan all separate "territories"? The article states Nicola Valley searchers found JM so I assume they search within their area? Just wondering as it was stated that the van was spotted between Mamit Lake and Lake Logan which is north of Nicola Valley. Fwiw.

"McDermott was travelling across the country in her van, setting out this past summer from the Kitchener-Waterloo area of Ontario.

The family has asked for privacy as it deals with the discovery."

No they wouldn’t be considered separate in terms of “territories“ or boundaries. Merritt and Logan Lake are municipalities and Nicola Valley is the geographical region they fall within.

Location: The Nicola Valley is located in the heart of the Coquihalla, with the economic centre of the valley in Merritt. The main access to the Nicola Valley is via the Coquihalla Highway from Hope and Kamloops. Other access routes include Highway 8 from Spences Bridge, Highway 97C from Ashcroft, Logan Lake and Kelowna, and Highway 5A from Princeton. Driving time from Vancouver is 3 hours, 90 minutes from Kelowna, and less than an hour from Kamloops.

Another thing to consider is when she died. So what I'm questioning here is how long after she went missing did she pass away? Was it shortly after or a lot longer? I am assuming she wnt to the loo and go lost accidentally or she went for a hike to see the scenery of the area. Or did she go to get help? If she went to get help then wouldn't she know what was in the area? Like Canoa Farm? Ehter her electronics were working or they were not. If her van was broken down and she knew it was broken down then why not go look for help or ask someone in the area?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back