Found Deceased Canada - Jacqueline McDermott, 22, car broke down on Hwy 97 C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, BC, 30 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She had a lot going for her. Of course it is extremely sad. Her journal must have had why she felt this way. Sadly, in the end she couldn't overcome her sadness. If only she had gotten help. Vanlife can be stressful. IDK but maybe it added to her outlook. I see both living a life of doing what one wants in living this lifestyle and the stress also. But the van breaking down is pretty serious because it has so many negative conotations to it. Maybe like I mentioned previously her van was having troubles before she was seen with the jerrycan. It was her home afterall. For it to not be operable she can't continue. I'm also thankful that nothing nefarious happened since a number of people have died or are missing under suspicious circumstances in the area. She is far away from people she knows and trusts to help her immediately. IDK but maybe as I also mentioned in an earlier post her van breaking down was an unexpected problem that she didn't foresee and it would be an extra burden on others she may have felt. So very sad.

It’s always sad when someone who has taken their own life first goes missing under mysterious circumstances because everyone is always hoping for an anything-but outcome. The family probably felt they had no option but to announce suicide rather than further adding to drama of a serial killer in the area or shoddy police work, if not an outright coverup. Worst of all might be casual insinuations if they said nothing it was caused by their embarrassment or shame connected with the topic. Jacqueline was clearly loved and nobody predicted her darkness within, yet they turned it into an opportunity to share in hopes of reaching out to others. I greatly admire their bold honesty.

It’s always sad when someone who has taken their own life first goes missing under mysterious circumstances because everyone is always hoping for an anything-but outcome. The family probably felt they had no option but to announce suicide rather than further adding to drama of a serial killer in the area or shoddy police work, if not an outright coverup. Worst of all might be casual insinuations if they said nothing it was caused by their embarrassment or shame connected with the topic. Jacqueline was clearly loved and nobody predicted her darkness within, yet they turned it into an opportunity to share in hopes of reaching out to others. I greatly admire their bold honesty.
Lets not dismiss there are some weird happenings going on in the area. And I think residents of the area are aware and are cautious. I appreciate the the family letting wellwishers know of how she passed. I don't believe LE negated their work they were pretty fast. I'm sure wildlife may have dragged her further away from where she was originally and LE/SAR couldn't find her and it took a while. So there's no disputing that. But someone doesn't out of the blue decide on ending one's life. There have to be excruciating circumstances involved and it is so very sad that happens. Regardless we have discussed some aspects that may have contributed to her outlook sadly and I feeal very bad for her. I wish she was found alive and is reunited with her loved ones. Its so sad. It just gets me that people would suggest that the circumstances occurred just like that without a background history. Sadly in Jaquie's situation as family has stated she did have such a history with her outlook.

Family has confirmed on the memorial Facebook page that it was suicide.
Thank you for posting this regarding confirmation from family.

As I was reading in the 4 missing men in OK thread, it occurred to me that JM's van may have had the catalytic converter stolen, which could contribute to her van acting strangely, which could also lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

I want to remember this, and JM, so I posted for consideration in other cases.
That is all.

Thank you for posting this regarding confirmation from family.

As I was reading in the 4 missing men in OK thread, it occurred to me that JM's van may have had the catalytic converter stolen, which could contribute to her van acting strangely, which could also lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

I want to remember this, and JM, so I posted for consideration in other cases.
That is all.
If this did occur she could have walked out for some air and gotten lost in confusion or maybe family wants to emphasize her outlook and move on not dwelling on a possibility of something else? I realize this is all speculation because we don't know the full circumstances, but these are also possibilities. However I wonder if LE would specify CC theft as problems with her van?

If this did occur she could have walked out for some air and gotten lost in confusion or maybe family wants to emphasize her outlook and move on not dwelling on a possibility of something else? I realize this is all speculation because we don't know the full circumstances, but these are also possibilities. However I wonder if LE would specify CC theft as problems with her van?
One would hope so.
Unless it was towed and the family retrieved her belongings.
They may have scrapped it as too painful or too scruffy.
I think in future cases of wandering from cars, this is a possibility. Especially in van life, where the owner might be camped at a spot for a while and not be with their transport 24/7. Thieves are ruthless.

I would like to see confirmation that she collected her phone from the retreat. That would help understand her timeline in the 24 hours leading to her disappearance. Her phone would track to her last known location - which might have been Mamit Lake, BC. There's wifi in the area and she probably has a Bell wifi account (most of Ontario does), which would connect to local cell towers.

If she had car trouble on a BC highway, wouldn't she call or text someone?

When did her phone last connect to a cell phone tower? Where was her phone at that time.

I live in Ontario and I would say Rogers is the most popular here and in most of Canada with both Bell and Telus coming in a close second. Rogers also has the best coverage of the three. I have Rogers, my husband has Telus. A lot of people bounce around between the big three when deals come along, especially if they can bundle with cable, etc.

The thing that concerns me about Jacqui's death is that finding someone has succumbed to the elements doesn't necessarily mean that foul play couldn't have been the instigator.

First of all, I would like to know what direction JM's van was facing when she was first noticed with the jerry can. I'd also like to know when the vehicle was noticed later in the day, whether it was a) in the same location and b) whether it was facing the same direction.

When I was looking at all the random businesses dotting that road, I found this one. It's called Vision Quest Recovery Society. The Lake, as it's known is a residential treatment facility. It's an all male treatment facility. And it's had its share of problems. Here's a link:

The thing that concerns me about Jacqui's death is that finding someone has succumbed to the elements doesn't necessarily mean that foul play couldn't have been the instigator.

First of all, I would like to know what direction JM's van was facing when she was first noticed with the jerry can. I'd also like to know when the vehicle was noticed later in the day, whether it was a) in the same location and b) whether it was facing the same direction.

When I was looking at all the random businesses dotting that road, I found this one. It's called Vision Quest Recovery Society. The Lake, as it's known is a residential treatment facility. It's an all male treatment facility. And it's had its share of problems. Here's a link:

I think a lot of rehab programs in Canada are used as get out of jail free cards.

I have a friend who's daughter has substance abuse issues and has broken the law many times. Her family is well off and as soon as it looks like she's going to jail for her most recent crime, they check her into rehab and get letters from her counsellors indicating that she's become a model citizen and his extremely focused on her recovery.

She used to check out whenever she felt like it, until she realized that she would get arrested so she generally bides her time in rehab and a few weeks of probation after before she goes back to her usual lifestyle.

Ultimately, I'm sure the RCMP and the coroner have valid reason to believe that no foul play was involved and that likely started with a comprehensive autopsy and a fairly solid investigation, given that early on she was considered a missing person.

So this place is on the same road? Hmm, that's interesting. Like I said before about Jaquie's situation we don't know. Her family wants to move on. IMO something does seem off in Jaqui'e case. I just can't pin point it. Maybe its the fact that she was stuck and her keys were left in her home (van) along with her personal belongings. Did she really go to take bathroom break and end up getting lost? I mean if she wanted to take a bathroom break one would walk a few steps in a discreet way and come back to the van. Its not like she's going to go far off. How do we know that what was written in her journal wasn't forced by someone to be written by her? Someone forced her to write it? Thinking about it now she wanted to leave and have her van working!!!! That's why she was using the JERRYCAN to try and do something to fix it!!!! Maybe her solar panels weren't working and she couldn't charge her phone. Maybe someone damaged her solar panels and she was truly stuck. But was scared to ask for help and something happened!!!!

I live in Ontario and I would say Rogers is the most popular here and in most of Canada with both Bell and Telus coming in a close second. Rogers also has the best coverage of the three. I have Rogers, my husband has Telus. A lot of people bounce around between the big three when deals come along, especially if they can bundle with cable, etc.

They all work well in cities but service is much less consistent in rural areas and in the mountains. While we don't know if she had service or not in that specific area or even if she contacted anyone, I have travelled that highway many times and there are some gaps in service. I don't remember any of them being overly significant outside of the Coqiuihall but a lot of young people seem to use discount carriers that have poor coverage outside urban areas.

OCT 19

WATERLOO — Nathalie St-Maurice spent Wednesday cleaning out sketchbooks and journals from inside her daughter’s van.

Jaqui McDermott, 22, an avid skateboarder and tree planter, went missing in British Columbia late last month. The Waterloo woman was visiting the province but had not been heard from since Sept. 29.

Her vehicle, which appeared to have broken down, was found on Highway 97C between Merritt and Logan Lake.

More at ‘She was clearly battling demons’: Mother of woman who went missing in B.C. reeling from her death

Sometimes people commit suicide. I’ve seen it so many times when people just cannot accept that. My best friend at school killed himself at 17, and his parents refused to accept it wasn’t “an accident” (it wasn’t).

Look at the back story. She was looking for solace. Meditation retreat. Solo life on the road. The big open wild away from everything. I feel for her.

Im sure RCMP have done their job - this doesn’t appear to be either a staged suicide or an accident, judging by what the family have said. Thoughts and prayers with them poor Jacqui, I’m sorry you succumbed to the darkness on this occasion.

OCT 19

WATERLOO — Nathalie St-Maurice spent Wednesday cleaning out sketchbooks and journals from inside her daughter’s van.

Jaqui McDermott, 22, an avid skateboarder and tree planter, went missing in British Columbia late last month. The Waterloo woman was visiting the province but had not been heard from since Sept. 29.

Her vehicle, which appeared to have broken down, was found on Highway 97C between Merritt and Logan Lake.

More at ‘She was clearly battling demons’: Mother of woman who went missing in B.C. reeling from her death

So generous of them.

To keep Jaqueline’s memory alive, St-Maurice plans to leave her daughter’s van at an Alberta tree-planting farm where McDermott worked.

There people can use the van, and can continue to enjoy and benefit from all the work Jacqui put into giving the vehicle character, said St-Maurice.

So generous of them.

To keep Jaqueline’s memory alive, St-Maurice plans to leave her daughter’s van at an Alberta tree-planting farm where McDermott worked.

There people can use the van, and can continue to enjoy and benefit from all the work Jacqui put into giving the vehicle character, said St-Maurice.
How thoughtful and fitting!

I'd come across something called a "living forest memorial" in the midst of searching about Jaqui (it's exactly as it sounds). Interesting that her van ties back to trees and remembering Jaqui in some way.

It seems like she touched a lot of people. I admired her work on Instagram and think it's so cool she did tattoo work. Something about her reminds me of Gabby Petito and Emma Fillipoff (regardless of their individual circumstances). It's very sad and difficult to know what to say. This kind of thing is not easy to talk about even if it isn't against the rules.

I hope Jaquis family will be able to find peace at some point.

Sometimes people commit suicide. I’ve seen it so many times when people just cannot accept that. My best friend at school killed himself at 17, and his parents refused to accept it wasn’t “an accident” (it wasn’t).

Look at the back story. She was looking for solace. Meditation retreat. Solo life on the road. The big open wild away from everything. I feel for her.

Im sure RCMP have done their job - this doesn’t appear to be either a staged suicide or an accident, judging by what the family have said. Thoughts and prayers with them poor Jacqui, I’m sorry you succumbed to the darkness on this occasion.

The stress of covid and resulting lockdowns had a very negative effect on people who were already struggling with mental health issues.

Another thought is if her body was decompsed and animals had scavenged how does LE know what occured. An overdose? Its possible but in that context one would think of some questions. For example in the toxicology did it show. Did she have whatever it was with her on that trip? Or did someone give it to her and cause it. IDK. These are questions that come to my mind. Of course the family is reeling but us the public we can at least question. Of course whereas the family they may not wish to and have only cherished memories. It is surreal that we have to ask such questions when the answers can be multitude. But is it better to ask or not. IMO its good to question because maybe it can save someone from heartbreak. We should question because if there are a multitude of answers then maybe there shouldn't be and it should only be one answer and that being when she died she was happy and safe.

Another thought is if her body was decompsed and animals had scavenged how does LE know what occured. An overdose? Its possible but in that context one would think of some questions. For example in the toxicology did it show. Did she have whatever it was with her on that trip? Or did someone give it to her and cause it. IDK. These are questions that come to my mind. Of course the family is reeling but us the public we can at least question. Of course whereas the family they may not wish to and have only cherished memories. It is surreal that we have to ask such questions when the answers can be multitude. But is it better to ask or not. IMO its good to question because maybe it can save someone from heartbreak. We should question because if there are a multitude of answers then maybe there shouldn't be and it should only be one answer and that being when she died she was happy and safe.

We can ask all the questions we want but nobody is required to satisfy or justify to the general public why her death was ruled a suicide. The family has not expressed concerns so we can only conclude they’ve accepted the facts for what they are. For all we know she may have left a goodbye note in the van and if she did, on the off chance she could be found still alive either way the right thing to do was to actively search for her.

Details are important to those who were close to her, but otherwise unless criminal involvement is suspected, specifics regarding any suicide are considered private and confidential and as a result are not publicized out of respect for the grieving family.

We can ask all the questions we want but nobody is required to satisfy or justify to the general public why her death was ruled a suicide. The family has not expressed concerns so we can only conclude they’ve accepted the facts for what they are. For all we know she may have left a goodbye note in the van and if she did, on the off chance she could be found still alive either way the right thing to do was to actively search for her.

Details are important to those who were close to her, but otherwise unless criminal involvement is suspected, specifics regarding any suicide are considered private and confidential and as a result are not publicized out of respect for the grieving family.
Yes of course. But its not just details here the family is of course entiteled to thier wishes. But that doesn't mean that the public doesn't have questions. The thing is after a long period of time her body was found in a decomposing state. I would have no questions if she was found the next day. If she did leave a note it could have been cooerced or forced. Plus if we take to not question the circumstances and we think all is fine when we go out and something doesn't go as planned as in Jaquie's case and we have to go out of our way to help ourselves can we do that or are we risking our life. If we don't question we might just be risking our lives and anything is possible in that event.

I don't see that this article was ever posted here. It quotes Jacqueline's mother as stating concluding that Jacqueline committed suicide. There had been quite a bit of denial as to that point so maybe this will end that.

There is also an interesting line from the mother saying that she wanted to come public about the truth "in the hopes that it could spark an important conversation about mental health." I think we all know people, or forums, that deny that suicide is a thing and try to hide it for whatever reason. Maybe one day we'll stop thinking of it as victim-blaming to admit that mental illness exists. IMO even calling it victim blaming is just another way to stigmatize. No wonder why people don't seek help and admit their issues.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back