Found Deceased Canada - Jacqueline McDermott, 22, car broke down on Hwy 97 C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, BC, 30 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Another thing to consider is when she died. So what I'm questioning here is how long after she went missing did she pass away? Was it shortly after or a lot longer? I am assuming she wnt to the loo and go lost accidentally or she went for a hike to see the scenery of the area. Or did she go to get help? If she went to get help then wouldn't she know what was in the area? Like Canoa Farm? Ehter her electronics were working or they were not. If her van was broken down and she knew it was broken down then why not go look for help or ask someone in the area?

The RCMP will provide what information they learned during the missing person investigation to Jacqueline’s family but due to Canadian privacy legislation, unless the family chooses to make more information available to the public, since foul play was not involved your questions will remain answered. Often that’s understandable to avoid unnecessary speculation which some families prefer not to have to deal with during their time of grief.

JMO

At the end of the day they found her and have that closure and it's also not homicide: a act almost too unbearable for many loved ones to get through.

While it's not the outcome any parents wants- the loss of a child - finding her is a closure that is priceless.

(moo)

The RCMP will provide what information they learned during the missing person investigation to Jacqueline’s family but due to Canadian privacy legislation, unless the family chooses to make more information available to the public, since foul play was not involved your questions will remain answered. Often that’s understandable to avoid unnecessary speculation which some families prefer not to have to deal with during their time of grief.

JMO
Does this mean no COD or autopsy results will be available to the public?

I'm considering possible misadventure if she decided to walk and got lost. Night time temps can get pretty low up in that area. Given the proximity to Merrritt, the night of September 30, the temp dipped to 3.3 Celsius and by October 9 was down to 0.0 Celsius

Not sure we can discount possible wildlife encounter. If she decided to walk to Logan Lake, that might warrant a dip into the woods to go to the bathroom and crouching is a no-no when it comes to cougar. The area is known for cougar, black bear, rattlesnakes. Just last year there were 13 black bear encounters within a 2 week period in the area of Logan Lake. This year BC has broken some September records for hot, dry conditions. While I don't recall any fires of note in the Logan Lake area, a lot of BC wildlife is on the move due to drought and forest fires resulting in lack of access to berries and other food sources in areas that have been affected by the fires.

I'm considering possible misadventure if she decided to walk and got lost. Night time temps can get pretty low up in that area. Given the proximity to Merrritt, the night of September 30, the temp dipped to 3.3 Celsius and by October 9 was down to 0.0 Celsius

Not sure we can discount possible wildlife encounter. If she decided to walk to Logan Lake, that might warrant a dip into the woods to go to the bathroom and crouching is a no-no when it comes to cougar. The area is known for cougar, black bear, rattlesnakes. Just last year there were 13 black bear encounters within a 2 week period in the area of Logan Lake. This year BC has broken some September records for hot, dry conditions. While I don't recall any fires of note in the Logan Lake area, a lot of BC wildlife is on the move due to drought and forest fires resulting in lack of access to berries and other food sources in areas that have been affected by the fires.
That makes sense. Because wildlife is on the move. I know I was thinking something is off in her case. She has a lot going for her. As we know daytime temps are very warm this year well into October and at night they dip to very low levels. I agree misadventure is likely. Sad of course. She must have been found farther away from her van and perhaps she had a wildlife encounter and was dragged away. I do wish authorities would say because then people are aware that its actually very easy than not to come across dangerous wildlife. Its possible she may have gone to the loo and gotten lost in the woods when this happened. A Sleuther mentioned a loo for one's vehicle. I think the post mentioned it was an environmentally friendly kind. I would agree with that also. I hope authorities say if this happened. I understand privacy but its a good message for awareness.

That makes sense. Because wildlife is on the move. I know I was thinking something is off in her case. She has a lot going for her. As we know daytime temps are very warm this year well into October and at night they dip to very low levels. I agree misadventure is likely. Sad of course. She must have been found farther away from her van and perhaps she had a wildlife encounter and was dragged away. I do wish authorities would say because then people are aware that its actually very easy than not to come across dangerous wildlife. Its possible she may have gone to the loo and gotten lost in the woods when this happened. A Sleuther mentioned a loo for one's vehicle. I think the post mentioned it was an environmentally friendly kind. I would agree with that also. I hope authorities say if this happened. I understand privacy but its a good message for awareness.

I agree that there is the opportunity for wildlife awareness but the RCMP are notoriously tight lipped and the family just may not be ready to discuss it at this time.

Obviously, they were hoping for a much better outcome and they need time to process the information and deal with their tragedy.

Does this mean no COD or autopsy results will be available to the public?

Only if the family chooses for it to be released. But as they are asking for privacy it appears it won’t be as that’s their right.

I'm no expert but it's possible that animal activity could have led searchers to Jacqueline.

According to the Burn In The Forest site: About BitF – Burn in The Forest

" Unfortunately, due to overuse and the increasing pressures of human encroachment into natural habitats, in 2006 a young grizzly started to visit the site, and ultimately that is what caused the site to be completely closed to the public. "

Websleuths don't need to know the COD IMHO as there is seemingly no threat to the general public. I'm wondering if it were a large predator in the area would BC Forestry (unsure of the proper authority) make a statement or warn the residents?

Not that I need to know but am curious if JM had anything along the lines of bear spray, dog spray, flares, a flashlight, whistle, first aid etc. If she was found with any items meant for personal safety, to alert in case of emergency.

Otherwise... My heart hurts for anyone who suffers through things we cannot name here. Condolences to Jacquelines family.

This is reasonable. If you are right, why would the family suddenly be clamoring for privacy, though? Seems odd, no?

This is reasonable. If you are right, why would the family suddenly be clamoring for privacy, though? Seems odd, no?
No.

They are not clamoring for privacy. It's their legal right. Because they've just lost their daughter over Thanksgiving weekend and are entitled to their privacy.

<modsnip>

May Jacqueline rest in peace, may she shine her light forever. My thoughts are *respectfully* with the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
This article says that the BC Coroners Office is investigating.

My understanding is that the BC Coroners Office is subject to the Coroners Act (link below). It seems like there will either be an inquest, which is pubic, or a report on why the death is not subject to an inquest, which is also public. Hopefully the local press will report on the report.

"Direction to hold inquest
18 (1)A coroner must hold an inquest if directed to do so...

(2.1)If the chief coroner decides under subsection (2) of this section that an inquest is not required, the chief coroner must

(a)report the decision to the minister and include with the report

(i)the authority on which the decision is based, and

(ii)the reasons for the decision,

(b)subject to subsection (2.2), make the report public, ..."

Coroners Act

This article says that the BC Coroners Office is investigating.

My understanding is that the BC Coroners Office is subject to the Coroners Act (link below). It seems like there will either be an inquest, which is pubic, or a report on why the death is not subject to an inquest, which is also public. Hopefully the local press will report on the report.

"Direction to hold inquest
18 (1)A coroner must hold an inquest if directed to do so...

(2.1)If the chief coroner decides under subsection (2) of this section that an inquest is not required, the chief coroner must

(a)report the decision to the minister and include with the report

(i)the authority on which the decision is based, and

(ii)the reasons for the decision,

(b)subject to subsection (2.2), make the report public, ..."

Coroners Act

Yes the BC Coroners Office would be investigating because thats the entity who is responsible for death investigations including determining cause and manner of death. Commonly that does not involve an Inquest, which has an entirely different function. It appears by your c/p you’ve blended the two different responsibilities together as one.

I really doubt there will be a Inquest because nothing suggests it‘s meets the criteria of possible “ways to prevent deaths in similar circumstances“, which typically occurs through means as such as safety policies and procedures or other government legislation.

Just because the general public doesn’t know how Jacqueline died does not mean those responsible for investigating death don’t know. I think her family deserves privacy if they choose and in fact Canadian law protects that right.

Coroners' Inquests​

Inquests are formal court proceedings, with a five- to seven-person jury, held to publicly review the circumstances of a death. The jury hears evidence from witnesses under summons (same as a subpoena) in order to determine the facts of a death. The presiding coroner ensures the jury maintains the goal of fact-finding, not fault-finding.

Upon conclusion of the inquest, a written report known as a Verdict is prepared. It includes the classification of the death and any jury recommendations on how to prevent deaths in similar circumstances.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but it's possible that animal activity could have led searchers to Jacqueline.

According to the Burn In The Forest site: About BitF – Burn in The Forest

" Unfortunately, due to overuse and the increasing pressures of human encroachment into natural habitats, in 2006 a young grizzly started to visit the site, and ultimately that is what caused the site to be completely closed to the public. "

Websleuths don't need to know the COD IMHO as there is seemingly no threat to the general public. I'm wondering if it were a large predator in the area would BC Forestry (unsure of the proper authority) make a statement or warn the residents?

Not that I need to know but am curious if JM had anything along the lines of bear spray, dog spray, flares, a flashlight, whistle, first aid etc. If she was found with any items meant for personal safety, to alert in case of emergency.

Otherwise... My heart hurts for anyone who suffers through things we cannot name here. Condolences to Jacquelines family.

It is bear and cougar habitat, which is something people are aware of and take a certain amount of precautions but if there is a specific problem and an area needs to be closed while they locate a problem bear or cougar, it is done fairly quickly. Trails will be closed and signage will be posted.

The first indicators of problems predators generally come from ranchers in the area because they closely monitor their livestock and will be the first to encounter any problems.

Family has confirmed on the memorial Facebook page that it was suicide.

Thank you for letting us know. I'm glad they shared because it might help someone struggling. Below is the full post.

www.facebook.com/groups/415319047233621/posts/420345003397692/

Inmemory Jaqui McDermott

Admin
· ·

Jaqui was light.
She was love and kindness and radiance.
She was an artist and a musician and a tree planter and an activist.
She believed in the goodness of people and the promise of love on this earth.
She gave her light freely and generously to her family, her friends, her community and the world. And perhaps she did not keep enough of that light for herself.
She shared with no one but her journal how she struggled with a darkness that was the cost of sending out so much light; her strength and joy masked the fear and sadness deep within her. We will never know where it came from - only that it so terrified her that she would not share it with anyone.
We cannot let the memory of her fade without acknowledging the most unbearable truth: in that moment, the darkness won. She chose to leave us.
How can we possibly move forward after such a shattering loss?? What is the future without Jaqui in it?
Let it be a future where we connect, truly, to the people we love. Where we share not just our greatest joys and happiness but also our worst fears and deepest heartaches. Where we look deeper and ask our loved ones how they are and we truly listen to their answers. Where we put away our phones and bask in the comfort of real human connection. Where we trust the people we love with our darkest secrets and know that they will honour our confidence with compassion and caring - and help. Where even the strongest light can falter but can borrow another’s spark to be relit and shine ever stronger.
Jaqui will no longer speak for herself. But each of you - the hundreds of people to whom she passed her light and the thousands who have been touched by our loss - can speak for her.
Remember her light but remember her darkness too. Know that, in that moment, she could not see her way back to the light. Talk about her. Mourn the extraordinary loss of her future. Love people every day and do not let the light she gifted you be extinguished - use it as a spark to spread radiance into every part of this world.
See the beauty in the people and places around you. See the beauty inside you.
She is forever part of you. Look up.
- Jaqui’s Mom, Nathalie
———
If you or someone you know is in immediate crisis or has suicide-related concerns, call or text the Canada Suicide Prevention Helpline.
1-833-456-4566 (24/7)
1-866-277-3553 in Quebec (24/7)
Text to 45645 (4 p.m. – Midnight ET). Text messaging rates apply. French text support is currently unavailable.
Kids Help Phone can also support you. Call 1-800-668-6868 (24/7)
Text CONNECT to 686868.
Live Chat (7 p.m. to midnight ET)
kidshelpphone.ca

Thank you for letting us know. I'm glad they shared because it might help someone struggling. Below is the full post.

www.facebook.com/groups/415319047233621/posts/420345003397692/

Inmemory Jaqui McDermott

Admin
· ·

Jaqui was light.
She was love and kindness and radiance.
She was an artist and a musician and a tree planter and an activist.
She believed in the goodness of people and the promise of love on this earth.
She gave her light freely and generously to her family, her friends, her community and the world. And perhaps she did not keep enough of that light for herself.
She shared with no one but her journal how she struggled with a darkness that was the cost of sending out so much light; her strength and joy masked the fear and sadness deep within her. We will never know where it came from - only that it so terrified her that she would not share it with anyone.
We cannot let the memory of her fade without acknowledging the most unbearable truth: in that moment, the darkness won. She chose to leave us.
How can we possibly move forward after such a shattering loss?? What is the future without Jaqui in it?
Let it be a future where we connect, truly, to the people we love. Where we share not just our greatest joys and happiness but also our worst fears and deepest heartaches. Where we look deeper and ask our loved ones how they are and we truly listen to their answers. Where we put away our phones and bask in the comfort of real human connection. Where we trust the people we love with our darkest secrets and know that they will honour our confidence with compassion and caring - and help. Where even the strongest light can falter but can borrow another’s spark to be relit and shine ever stronger.
Jaqui will no longer speak for herself. But each of you - the hundreds of people to whom she passed her light and the thousands who have been touched by our loss - can speak for her.
Remember her light but remember her darkness too. Know that, in that moment, she could not see her way back to the light. Talk about her. Mourn the extraordinary loss of her future. Love people every day and do not let the light she gifted you be extinguished - use it as a spark to spread radiance into every part of this world.
See the beauty in the people and places around you. See the beauty inside you.
She is forever part of you. Look up.
- Jaqui’s Mom, Nathalie
———
If you or someone you know is in immediate crisis or has suicide-related concerns, call or text the Canada Suicide Prevention Helpline.
1-833-456-4566 (24/7)
1-866-277-3553 in Quebec (24/7)
Text to 45645 (4 p.m. – Midnight ET). Text messaging rates apply. French text support is currently unavailable.
Kids Help Phone can also support you. Call 1-800-668-6868 (24/7)
Text CONNECT to 686868.
Live Chat (7 p.m. to midnight ET)
kidshelpphone.ca

Yes and I think it was her aunt (?) wrote a post as well that was very well said and much needed for those out there struggling. I didn't see the one from her mom above, so thank you for posting that.

Their graciousness and honesty is admirable and hopefully reaches someone, anyone out there who may need help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soloinsight
Back