Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could you post a link to the caffeine overdose information?

Hello Summersolstice. When I solved the Russell Pensyl case I had the opportunity to have a conversation about Algonquin man with a contact at the OPP. Although there is no link to public information about a caffeine overdose on the web I can assure you that it is true information. If you are in doubt you are welcomed to contact the OPP to inquire.

Also, Deep River is on the cusp of Algonquin park. It's accessable from the park and is also an entry point to the park so its not far fetched to believe that he was in the park at some point.

Deep river is also on the border of Quebec so good chances that he came from that area too. As for the skiing angle, he was found in September and from what I remember he wasn't there very long so I think that rules out skiing. It IS Canada but the snow is gone by April.

Also, Deep River is on the cusp of Algonquin park. It's accessable from the park and is also an entry point to the park so its not far fetched to believe that he was in the park at some point.

Deep river is also on the border of Quebec so good chances that he came from that area too. As for the skiing angle, he was found in September and from what I remember he wasn't there very long so I think that rules out skiing. It IS Canada but the snow is gone by April.

I grew up near Deep River so maybe I can shed a bit extra light. "As the crow flies", Deep River isn't that far from Algonquin Park. However, if you were to drive from Deep River to a public access point to Algonquin park, you'd be going about a hundred miles (Achrey Gate). In addition, the northern part of Algonquin Park is very isolated and there are few tourists compared to the Southern Highway 60 Corridor. A person travelling on their own in that part of the Park would have been noticed by park staff.

Deep River is also across the river from the province of Quebec, but the closest border crossing by road is about 30 km away in the town of Rapides des Joachins. That town, which is in Quebec, is isolated from the rest of the province. The closest border crossing into Quebec where you can travel to the rest of Quebec is across from Pembroke, ON which is about 50 km away.

Finally, as Tom said, you can rule out the skiing angle. There is no cross-country skiing in that area after late March.

The fact is that Deep River is on the trans-Canada highway and it was likely that he was hitch hiking or travelling across the country. I have no proof, but I'd personally discount the Algonguin Park, Quebec of skiing angles.

I grew up near Deep River so maybe I can shed a bit extra light. "As the crow flies", Deep River isn't that far from Algonquin Park. However, if you were to drive from Deep River to a public access point to Algonquin park, you'd be going about a hundred miles (Achrey Gate). In addition, the northern part of Algonquin Park is very isolated and there are few tourists compared to the Southern Highway 60 Corridor. A person travelling on their own in that part of the Park would have been noticed by park staff.

Deep River is also across the river from the province of Quebec, but the closest border crossing by road is about 30 km away in the town of Rapides des Joachins. That town, which is in Quebec, is isolated from the rest of the province. The closest border crossing into Quebec where you can travel to the rest of Quebec is across from Pembroke, ON which is about 50 km away.

Finally, as Tom said, you can rule out the skiing angle. There is no cross-country skiing in that area after late March.

The fact is that Deep River is on the trans-Canada highway and it was likely that he was hitch hiking or travelling across the country. I have no proof, but I'd personally discount the Algonguin Park, Quebec of skiing angles.

I agree with your assessment. Question for you: why do you think a well-heeled traveller with expensive glasses would be hitchhiking, unless of course he'd lost his wallet? "BS" just doesn't seem like the type. The sort of hotels he was accustomed to simply don't compare to youth hostels. Adventure travellers tend to have large backpacks, sleeping bags, etc. No mention of camping equipment found anywhere nearby. No mention of rental cars not returned, etc.

Do you think Pembroke could be relevant here? Is Isle-aux-Allumettes the nearest access point to Quebec?

I agree with your assessment. Question for you: why do you think a well-heeled traveller with expensive glasses would be hitchhiking, unless of course he'd lost his wallet? "BS" just doesn't seem like the type. The sort of hotels he was accustomed to simply don't compare to youth hostels. Adventure travellers tend to have large backpacks, sleeping bags, etc. No mention of camping equipment found anywhere nearby. No mention of rental cars not returned, etc.

Do you think Pembroke could be relevant here? Is Isle-aux-Allumettes the nearest access point to Quebec?

These are all good questions, and probably the reason why he hasn't been identified. The materials from expensive hotels and the expensive glasses are truly puzzling although he may have had a mental illness. There are many cases of a person who is well-adjusted and successful when they're on their medication, but then go off their medication and wander away. I believe the OPP worked under this assumption for awhile and released his morgue photos to doctors and psychiatrists.

Pembroke is pretty unremarkable. The neighbouring town of Petawawa is home to a large military base, and the other neighbouring town of Chalk River has a large nuclear research facility. The access point to Quebec you identified is the closest one where you could travel to other places in Quebec.

I know the area well and my mother still lives in Deep River. This case is gnawing away at me (in a healthy way!) but as more time goes by, it's less and less likely that BS will be identified.

These are all good questions, and probably the reason why he hasn't been identified. The materials from expensive hotels and the expensive glasses are truly puzzling although he may have had a mental illness. There are many cases of a person who is well-adjusted and successful when they're on their medication, but then go off their medication and wander away. I believe the OPP worked under this assumption for awhile and released his morgue photos to doctors and psychiatrists.

Pembroke is pretty unremarkable. The neighbouring town of Petawawa is home to a large military base, and the other neighbouring town of Chalk River has a large nuclear research facility. The access point to Quebec you identified is the closest one where you could travel to other places in Quebec.

I know the area well and my mother still lives in Deep River. This case is gnawing away at me (in a healthy way!) but as more time goes by, it's less and less likely that BS will be identified.

Over time here at WS, I've come to understand that there's really no such thing as a sleepy little town these days. Pembroke might look quiet, but I discovered a rather interesting cottage industry there (I mean, aside from tritium). There are some some authors who cater to people wanting to explore sensual pleasures, with a little island retreat on Allumettes. At first it seemed like another new-age couples thing, but after checking out their website a little more closely, I snapped to attention. :whipper: For example, they run retreats in Costa Rica.

Their book editor was running a plus-size women's lingerie business in Pembroke. For some reason, I didn't expect to see a whole lot of need for plus-size women's lingerie in such a small town. Then I recognized the name from a link on another thread. I guess the winters are long, or something.

And of course, there's that rather sensational case in the news these days, with a Pembroke connection, too. Makes me want to cover my head with a blankie.

For some reason, I didn't expect to see a whole lot of need for plus-size women's lingerie in such a small town. Then I recognized the name from a link on another thread. I guess the winters are long, or something.

And of course, there's that rather sensational case in the news these days, with a Pembroke connection, too. Makes me want to cover my head with a blankie.
<snips>

Major babes in some small towns. You never hear the expression "eat up girl, it's cold outside"? OTOH, maybe the plus-size stuff is for the guyz. LOL

Summer, don't be cryptic :) I believe the case you are referring to is the Sandra Rinella dominatrix / Alex Petraitis case where Alex was allegedly sporting a diaper in his meeting with the alleged hitman. Now, how cute is that? I believe the reference to the "blankie" is that RW allegedly took a baby blanket from one of his victim's homes.

JMO ... hopefully Summer will correct me if i'm wrong

Alleged is the word of the day

<snips>

Major babes in some small towns. You never hear the expression "eat up girl, it's cold outside"? OTOH, maybe the plus-size stuff is for the guyz. LOL

Summer, don't be cryptic :) I believe the case you are referring to is the Sandra Rinella dominatrix / Alex Petraitis case where Alex was allegedly sporting a diaper in his meeting with the alleged hitman. Now, how cute is that? I believe the reference to the "blankie" is that RW allegedly took a baby blanket from one of his victim's homes.

JMO ... hopefully Summer will correct me if i'm wrong

Alleged is the word of the day

:eek:

1. Obviously, I don't get out much.
2. Maybe it's best not to know one's neighbours.

And here I thought she was referring to the dead guy from the nuclear plant.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/2010/09/29/15520171.html

Tooth enamel, it turns out, is very particular about geography. Where you grow up determines a lot about the chemical composition of your tooth enamel. So by analyzing the teeth of people buried near Stonehenge, scientists have been able to pinpoint with relative accuracy the regions where these people spent most of their lives.

"Strontium isotopes in teeth provide information on the geological setting of a person's childhood," the report reads. "And oxygen isotopes tell us about the climate in which they were raised. ... The combined techniques provide a tool to compare the information about childhood origin, preserved in their teeth, with reference data for the place in which they were found."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/2010/09/29/15520171.html

Tooth enamel, it turns out, is very particular about geography. Where you grow up determines a lot about the chemical composition of your tooth enamel. So by analyzing the teeth of people buried near Stonehenge, scientists have been able to pinpoint with relative accuracy the regions where these people spent most of their lives.

"Strontium isotopes in teeth provide information on the geological setting of a person's childhood," the report reads. "And oxygen isotopes tell us about the climate in which they were raised. ... The combined techniques provide a tool to compare the information about childhood origin, preserved in their teeth, with reference data for the place in which they were found."

I recall that some human remains found in Ontario were identified after 40 years. The remains were then returned to the families of the murder victims. Those cases involved facial reconstruction.

Do you think it's possible the strontium technique would be used in a case like "Bret Stone's"?

http://course1.winona.edu/jfranz/Present/Forensics/Forensicgeologyencyclopedia.pdf
Our Lachlan would know what to make of all this.

http://mai.mercyhurst.edu/files/app...-bibliography/2008stable-isotope-evidence.pdf

Interesting read,I bet people will be clamouring for LE to get hold of the technology used in the Stonehenge discovery.

It sure does make a person wonder what government scientists with the right equipment and knowledge can be called upon to do in the course of their work. I guess we'll never know, because they are not allowed to release their research into the public domain without prior government approval.

This kind of technology gives a whole new meaning to footprint analysis.

How far does LE go to identify an unknown person in cases like this? As we know, the OPP tried very hard to identify the two men whose bodies were found in the 1960s. What motivated the facial reconstruction for these two, and LE taking these cases to the media a couple of years ago? The men were identified as a result of this effort, and their remains returned to families for burial. Some believe LE did this because a convicted murderer in custody was due to be released after serving his sentence, and they fear he will kill again.

Surely the case of "Bret Stone", who died mysteriously around the time of 9/11 in the woods near a nuclear plant would merit further efforts. It seems obvious from evidence found at the scene that this person may have been a foreign national.

It also seems worthy to consider other mysterious deaths in the area.

The colleagues of the DR scientist were the ones who put forward the "alien abduction" idea. This was not the idea of anyone here at WS. It has, however, been discussed at WS as a result of their statements. Maybe they said that because there had been news reports in previous years about UFOs over the Ottawa River near Chalk River. I don't know. You'd have to ask them.

There was also the idea of wolves chasing people in DR, put forth by another retired AECL scientist.

The area near DR is more relevant IMO than Algonquin Park, as the entrance to the park is not at Deep River. It seems likely that the John Doe in this case, or "BS", may have visited DR as he was found near it. No one seems to know for certain how he arrived.

What do you think happened to BS? What made you start this thread? Why has so little progress been made in the past nine years toward solving this man's disappearance/identifying him? Was there anything to suggest his death was anything out of the normal to you? People go missing all the time, but often someone is looking for them. Why hasn't anyone come forward?

There are things that go on in the area that could well be linked to this story. For example, wasn't a very large, record-setting drug bust made around there a couple of years ago? We also know that at least one former member of a notorious motorcycle club lives in nearby Pembroke.

Then there is that connection between a couple from Pembroke and Costa Rica retreats, particularly in 2001.

WARNING: Hi All - I have removed some posts on this thread. Please remember that we DO NOT correct others on the thread. We alert the offending post and tell the moderators what the issue is. The mods take a look at the post and determine how best to handle it.

I know sometimes it seems it would just be easier to post your complaint in the thread and move on, but believe me, it's not easier for the mods. We have a very diverse membership and it is better to let us handle the situation, then take the thread off topic and/or offend other members.

You guys do a great job in this thread. I really am amazed at all the hard work you do and how dedicated you are. I think this is one of the most complicated cases on our entire board right now. This one and the Colonel Williams one - both are over my head :) Please don't bicker. Just hit the alert triangle and I will be here as soon as I can or one of the other mods will be here.

Thanks!

Salem

retouched

I am wondering what LE does in cases like this, where there are postmortem photos, and composite sketches, and yet no one steps forward to claim the remains. I wonder how far LE went to identify this person's body, given the unusual circumstances in this particular case. Were any of the advanced identification techniques pointed out by dotr used?

I also think that things that have happened subsequent to BS's demise that could possibly justify a review of the case. Sometimes things do not come to light until years down the road. One thing I didn't even touch on yesterday was an alleged sexual predator from the military in nearby Petawawa. There is also the unsolved case of a young woman from Deep River in Toronto. Could there have been victims/predators in the Deep River area in earlier times?

Thanks for bringing those photos forward in the thread.

Regarding the Pembroke Retreat, I think it sounds like there could be a connection. Maybe the Quebec Authorities should be contacted with the information. They could question the owners to see if they remember BS as a client in 2001. Deep River is located on the Ottawa River, by boat not far from Isles Au Allumette.

Something I'd like to point out when comparing autopsy results to missing persons ...

Although the autopsy report states that Bret's eyes were blue, do NOT discount missing individuals who are known to have brown eyes.

My son's autopsy report stated blue eyes when his eyes were in fact very dark brown. When I questioned the Chief Coroner, he told me that brown eyes will frequently show as blue after death. I do not remember the clinical reason he gave me.

Sillybilly,

The color of the eye (iris) does not change postmortem. Dark brown eyes have high levels of melanin which is still present after death.The cornea of the eye requires a moist protected environment so that oxygen can be absorbed. After death blood circulation ceases and oxygen absorption stops. Then the cornea and lens becomes opaque in appearance. Upon death the iris, which is still the same color as in life, becomes almost completely obscured due to dilation of the pupil. When you look at the eye the eye color will appear to be bluish white in appearance due to looking at the dried out cornea. Depending on how large the dilation is sometimes the coroner or pathologist will simply put blue if the dilation is so large as to eliminate the ability to see the iris of the eye.

Hope this helps.
Chloe

Lachlan passed away in January 2010. As a memorial, this site remains as he left it.
Therefore the information on this site may not be current or accurate and should not be relied upon.
For more information follow this link

(This Webpage Page in No Frames Mode)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Lachlan Cranswick's Personal Homepage in Melbourne, Australia
Are you having internet reliability Problems reaching Bluehaze.com.au in Melbourne, Australia?
Lachlan's Homepage is at http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Back to Lachlan's Homepage] | [What's New on Lachlan's Page]

[Intro - CranClan] . . [Happening Things] . . [The Daresbury Laboratory Web Ring of Life] . . [NCS - Non-Competitive Scrabble] . . [Garden Gnomes of Daresbury Laboratory] . . [Nature and Local UK Things] . . [USA 2001 and LDEO Columbia University] . . [Historical Literature/Poetry] . . [Music] . . [Misc Things] . . [DL SRS Status] . . [Conference and Travel Things] . . [The Wonders of Team Building] . . [Other People's Homepages] . . [Crystallographic Internet Front] . . [While in Melbourne] . . [Semi Relevant Links]

Announcement - 5th September 2001
If you are browsing from Europe and have reliability problems hitting this site, it could be that your network's DNS server has bad defaults for the TTD (Time To Die) on the TCP-IP network packets. As some backbone internet providers in the UK, US and Ausutralia put the incoming TCP-IP packets through a a few dozen internal routers, depending on the time of day, DNS caches, etc; the TCP-IP packet has probably died before it gets here to bluehaze.com.au. Setting a larger default TTD on the DNS server generally fixes this (it may have to be recompiled into the kernel depending on what operating system you are using). E.g., in the following default traceroute from Europe, the packets have bombed near Singapore(?) (did not even make it to Australia as the TCP-IP packets bounced around bbnplanet.net for a dozen hops) (use traceroute -m 50 to increase the number of hops traceroute reports.

30 POS2-0.paix-core1.ix.singtel.com (202.160.250.46) 177 ms (ttl=233!) 179 ms
(ttl=233!) 178 ms (ttl=233!)

Further Information Via Tony
The Public DNS Service
At http://www.granitecanyon.com/
"The Public DNS Service is a public service provided by Granite Canyon Group, LLC. The Service offers both primary and secondary DNS free of charge to anyone who asks. The Service maintains UPS protected FreeBSD servers that satisfy DNS queries. The servers are geographically separated and all are connected to the Internet via 7x24 dedicated lines with disjoint routes to the Internet's North American backbones. "

To: Lachlan Cranswick [l.cranswick@dl.ac.uk]
Subject: Hops

> Okay - have submitted bluehaze (see below)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony

BTW - just talking to [Internet Gure Omega (not real name)] and he rang
someone in ITS to ask re hop maximums. Apparently it started out as 16 in
the early days, then went to 30, and now can be more than this due to
smart routers or something.

Re our large number of hops, he drew me a diagram of a "router hotel" which
he said is common. Link comes in from (eg) .au then goes to another router
because this 1st one only handles traffic direct to (eg) .ca, .fr, .za -
this 2nd router similarly doesn't do .uk directly so again it gets passed
onto another one, etc. Basically a case of what happens when you have to
process 200 domains with only 10 or 15 routers in the rack.

Cheers,

Tony

All information in this post is true in some sense, false in some sense,
and meaningless in some sense.

[Intro - CranClan] . . [Happening Things] . . [The Daresbury Laboratory Web Ring of Life] . . [NCS - Non-Competitive Scrabble] . . [Garden Gnomes of Daresbury Laboratory] . . [Nature and Local UK Things] . . [USA 2001 and LDEO Columbia University] . . [Historical Literature/Poetry] . . [Music] . . [Misc Things] . . [DL SRS Status] . . [Conference and Travel Things] . . [The Wonders of Team Building] . . [Other People's Homepages] . . [Crystallographic Internet Front] . . [While in Melbourne] . . [Semi Relevant Links]

[Back to Lachlan's Homepage] | [What's New on Lachlan's Page]

(This Webpage Page in No Frames Mode)

If you are feeling sociable, my new E-mail address is [address now invalid] (replace the *at* with an @ ) . Old E-mail addresses might be giving forwarding or reliability problems. Please use clear titles in any Email - otherwise messages might accidentally get put in the SPAM list due to large amount of junk Email being received. So, if you don't get an expected reply to any messages, please try again.

I found this of interest because it was posted on September 5, 2001.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoriVee
Back